Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• So glad to see the back of Sandgaard. I had a really bad feeling about him from the start, with all his bravado bullshit and was 95% sure it would end in tears. The final 5% came in his first interview when he stated that he didn't need to appoint a "Football man" to run the club and it wasn't as hard as people thought. At that point I knew we were doomed from the start.

Unfortunately the a*** had very little Scandinavian mentality in him.  I am sure things would have been different otherwise.
    However, I'll give him his due for f****** off ESI, although at a cost.
  • Uboat said:
    Maybe there’s something wrong with me, but I’m completely unmoved by all of it. I’m not going to get all dewy eyed about the TS statement and I can’t get excited about our many new owners. Duchatelet was extremely rich and it didn’t mean a thing because he didn’t give a shit about Charlton, so temper your enthusiasm on that front. If we sign some decent players and are around the top 6 all season I’ll be happy enough, but I think the last ten years have really taken it out of me and I suspect I’m not alone on that score. 
    Couldn’t have put it better myself.
  • edited July 2023
    Can't believe the love in for that Sangaard statement, one of his team would have written that up in 20 minutes. Bloke was a complete egotistical div 

I disagree that isn't TS own words.
    That is exactly what I was expecting Thomas Sandgaard to say. This is his exit strategy as his ego wouldn't let him leave any other way. 
    IF, and it's a massive IF, we can go in the right direction on and off the pitch then we can feel his achievement was in taking on Southall and co and seeing that low life off.

The rest of Sandgaard's tenure was a nightmare with one bad decision after another, on and off the pitch.
    The treatment of staff and I know Ollie Groom is one of the good guys was shocking.

We can only hope that Friday 21/7/23 is a time the infighting stops over the running of Cafc and the fan/critics can get back to disagreeing over who should be number 1 striker or keeper !

We really need Charlton Athletic to be about the football and not the politics.
    We have fallen a long way since our Premier days on the pitch obviously but also off the pitch where Peter Varney would get in early to make sure that match day went smoothly. Not turn up after 1 like Katherine Meire (according to a fanzine seller!)

New Era and new hope but we have had so many false dawns that no custard just yet 😲

Too many words; now let the football do the talking.
  • I’m assuming that Ed Warrick and Simon Lenegan are amongst those with less than 5% holdings. As has been said an actual percentage breakdown for everyone would be nice but I don’t think we are going to get it.
  • Imagine spending/losing £10-20M on a football team over 3 years and in your short list.of.highlihhts mentioning a raffle for a car and a game of football that was lost 3-0 to a second string PL team.  I enjoyed the Utd game but it was nothing on Doncaster/Sunderland play offs and others a, ultimately, we lost.

Thanks for saving us TS, but your following actions were laughably poor.

Hope the new lot are decent or if not that they get lucky.  I am more hopeful of the second than the first if honest.
  • What is the respective responsibilities of the technical director verses the director of performance?
  • What happened to the “big name” signing which was going to be announced at the same time? Was that Camara earlier in the week?
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    I think fans see themselves as cool by just saying "classy statement". There's nothing classy about it as it provides some digs, excuses and hardly any actual achievements. 
    I agree on the achievements which were scant and historic. I didn't particularly pick up on any bitterness (i.e. digs) or excuses though. What parts are you thinking of?
  • edited July 2023
    mendonca said:
    I think fans see themselves as cool by just saying "classy statement". There's nothing classy about it as it provides some digs, excuses and hardly any actual achievements. 
    After reading your post, I've read the statement again and I didn't pick up on this first time round.

I think the word classy is the wrong word. I think issuing a leaving statement is the right thing to do but doesn't go above and beyond what was inspected.

classy, he was excellent for us are words used that over sell the point. 

Anyway, takeover done, let's all now talk shit and ramble 😂
  • Overall I'm probably a little more optimistic this takeover will work out better than the others. 

1) a few seem to have football or sports experience
    2) Quite a few involved meaning costs will be spread around
    3) They are not shouting from the rooftops saying we're going to be in Europe in 5 years
    4) League one looks a weak league this season and a bit of investment will go a long way to ensuring we challenge 
  • Will just have to wait and see if actions speak louder than words. After what has happened over the last few years, I can’t help but be suspicious. 
  • I'd liked to have seen something but after the trainwreck of the infamous Southall interview I'm not overly bothered with it just being a written statement from Rodwell ATM 
  • Sponsored links:

• Classy statement but he could always talk the talk, just never walk the walk.
  • Uboat said:
    Maybe there’s something wrong with me, but I’m completely unmoved by all of it. I’m not going to get all dewy eyed about the TS statement and I can’t get excited about our many new owners. Duchatelet was extremely rich and it didn’t mean a thing because he didn’t give a shit about Charlton, so temper your enthusiasm on that front. If we sign some decent players and are around the top 6 all season I’ll be happy enough, but I think the last ten years have really taken it out of me and I suspect I’m not alone on that score. 
    Absolutely what I'm feeling. I’m takeovered out. There was something likeable about Sandgaard (if you didn’t work for him!!) and the romantic in me would have loved it to work out. But he proved himself to be an egocentric idiot when it came to running a football club. I can’t get excited about a bunch of billionaires chucking a few quid in a hat held out by Charlie bloody Methven. There’s an awful lot of trust and hope placed in Dean at the moment as he is a proper stand up guy who is, for me, the one real thing I can identify with.  I wish him well and hope he is supported.  I don’t travel particularly hopefully but at least we are travelling. 
  • The most positive indicator is we've signed at least 2 very good players in May and Camara, one on loan. What that could be is the start of an exciting period. For us to get there, however, we need another first-choice striker, some good wing backs, and ideally another CM so Henry can get the first team experience at a L2 team on loan that he clearly needs. If we do that, I'll be happy that this new-look consortium at least have their heads screwed on from a football perspective, and I'll focus on that until any actual negative action from our new owners forces us to focus on something else. So a cautious 'welcome to the club' from me. 
  • edited July 2023
    we’re gonna win the league
    and now you’re gonna believe us 
  • edited July 2023
    Never watched the Sunderland thing on TV but personally i'm excited by this takeover and what could happen. Experienced football people running the club and a group of investors who have access to a lot of money and know how to possibly realise the potential that our club has always had. Even in the good times in the Seed and Curbishley era's, there was probably always another level they could have got to if the people running the club had just that bit more. Could this lot have that bit more? Personally i'll just be happy to get back in the championship and anything else is a bonus.     
  • We are now officially just customers .Hopefully we will now attract new life long happy customers and CAFC will eventually become very profitable for its “supportive”shareholders who ever they are now or in the future . You can argue the rights and wrongs of that all day long as is well documented in these pages.
    For me I just want to sing “woke up this morning feeling fine “ before every home game for the next 5 plus years .If that happens who really cares who “owns” us .
    As for our potential just go back to Boxing Day 2003 . A 4-2 win over Chelsea to move up to 4th. In the premier league, every home game sold out !
     We are a very proper football Club steeped in history in a densely  populated area (SE7)so definitely worth a punt by this new lot and with a bit of luck as well (or a huge amount of luck for some of you ) we are in for a interesting ride.

• Farewell takeover thread, its been emotional.