Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Can I just say that if I was “disrupted” or “inconvenienced “ by JSO protests I’d be one of those that screamed loudest and I’d moan like feck. Does that make me a hypocrite ? Probably but I also like to think that overall I can ultimately see that these protests are not like other protests we get and we’ve seen. These protests are genuinely about the survival and continuing existence of the human race. Governments are paying lip service to the solutions and like all politicians they are only interested in financing that affects the next election. Kick it down the road which is what we see time and time again. Where are the initiatives for home insulation, domestic solar energy, upgrading our housing stock ? The government have delayed announcing its funding for green initiatives from April to now August and the rumours are it will get delayed again. Forget about projects like HS2 and practically anything else you can think of. The number 1,2 and three priorities should be energy considerations. These things are not optionally nice things to have. Going forward across the world they are essential if we don’t want to see climate catastrophe up to and including extinction. If you think our whole existence is not in jeopardy then you need to pay a little more attention. 
    So how does targeting a former Chancellor on his wedding day help the cause?
    Because we’re talking about it. 
    We were talking about it before this flurry of narcissistic, performative JSO nonsense. What has changed? 
    How the feck is campaigning to save the world narcissistic?

Acting as if the law doesn’t apply to them is narcissistic.

Acting as though everybody else’s’ day should be disrupted in order to promote their beliefs is narcissistic. 

And yeah, using somebody’s wedding day to make a political point is really fucking narcissistic.

The whole “well, it’s only confetti - it’s nothing compared to where the world will be in years to come” simply doesn’t wash as an argument. I’m 100% in agreement with their concern for the planet, but all they are doing is using shock tactics to try and make themselves the main characters of a story when the protest effort could be focused more on educating.

Now, let’s go back to the question of what has changed since their narcissistic behaviour came about? 
    An inconvienent truth came out in 2006. The 'education' has been happening for 15 years and has it stopped the course of the planet? No. 

This is logically what comes next. 

"The planet registered its hottest day since records began for the third time in just four days this week, deepening fears about the far-reaching changes taking place in Earth’s system because of the climate emergency.

Unofficial data from U.S. researchers showed the planet’s daily average temperature soared to 17.23 degrees Celsius (63.01 degrees Fahrenheit) on Thursday, surpassing two previous heat records registered in recent days.

The extraordinary feat comes shortly after the European Union’s climate change service confirmed the planet observed its hottest June on record, with unprecedented sea surface temperatures and record low Antarctic sea ice."

Bit more education here. 

I’m on board with the movement to protect the planet, and I’ve made steps of my own to try and contribute to that in my own way. 

My point is in relation to the conduct of JSO. Not their underlying message (which again, gets clouded by their narcissistic tendencies).
    Can you suggest a better way than the course of action they are taking?

Education is key, but it's difficult to educate the public about what is happening when we have so many media organisations with a vested interest in carrying on with actions that damage the planet. I hope that by posting a few links on here about what is really happening, there may be a few more that realise why these protests are needed.

A few years ago I would probably have been amongst those on here who criticise JSO protests. I've been a Tory voter all my life and also voted to leave the EU, I was also a Daily Mail reader influenced by their lies. My views started to change when the Government made so many bad decisions during the pandemic and it became clear that lying by Government Ministers and Tory MPs, lead by a now disgraced Prime Minister, was endemic. I then questioned myself why I previously held the views I did and I started to look out at alternative sources of news. 
    You and I have followed a similar path in many senses (Brexit vote aside). I voted Conservative in the last election, but then the incompetence/dishonesty of the current government made me question a lot. To a point where I don’t think I could ever vote for them again. 

But it’s frustrating when there is a movement that has legitimate purpose being run in a way that alienates more people than it encourages. That is what JSO are doing. I think their behaviour is sending general sentiment in the wrong direction. And the fact this thread is so heated, as is practically every conversation happening up and down the country on the topic, is testament to the fact that JSO’s approach does not work. It won’t ever work. 
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Can I just say that if I was “disrupted” or “inconvenienced “ by JSO protests I’d be one of those that screamed loudest and I’d moan like feck. Does that make me a hypocrite ? Probably but I also like to think that overall I can ultimately see that these protests are not like other protests we get and we’ve seen. These protests are genuinely about the survival and continuing existence of the human race. Governments are paying lip service to the solutions and like all politicians they are only interested in financing that affects the next election. Kick it down the road which is what we see time and time again. Where are the initiatives for home insulation, domestic solar energy, upgrading our housing stock ? The government have delayed announcing its funding for green initiatives from April to now August and the rumours are it will get delayed again. Forget about projects like HS2 and practically anything else you can think of. The number 1,2 and three priorities should be energy considerations. These things are not optionally nice things to have. Going forward across the world they are essential if we don’t want to see climate catastrophe up to and including extinction. If you think our whole existence is not in jeopardy then you need to pay a little more attention. 
    We were talking about it before this flurry of narcissistic, performative JSO nonsense. What has changed? 

Acting as though everybody else’s’ day should be disrupted in order to promote their beliefs is narcissistic. 

And yeah, using somebody’s wedding day to make a political point is really fucking narcissistic.

The whole “well, it’s only confetti - it’s nothing compared to where the world will be in years to come” simply doesn’t wash as an argument. I’m 100% in agreement with their concern for the planet, but all they are doing is using shock tactics to try and make themselves the main characters of a story when the protest effort could be focused more on educating.

Now, let’s go back to the question of what has changed since their narcissistic behaviour came about? 
    An inconvienent truth came out in 2006. The 'education' has been happening for 15 years and has it stopped the course of the planet? No. 

"The planet registered its hottest day since records began for the third time in just four days this week, deepening fears about the far-reaching changes taking place in Earth’s system because of the climate emergency.

Unofficial data from U.S. researchers showed the planet’s daily average temperature soared to 17.23 degrees Celsius (63.01 degrees Fahrenheit) on Thursday, surpassing two previous heat records registered in recent days.

The extraordinary feat comes shortly after the European Union’s climate change service confirmed the planet observed its hottest June on record, with unprecedented sea surface temperatures and record low Antarctic sea ice."

Bit more education here. 

I’m on board with the movement to protect the planet, and I’ve made steps of my own to try and contribute to that in my own way. 

My point is in relation to the conduct of JSO. Not their underlying message (which again, gets clouded by their narcissistic tendencies).

Education is key, but it's difficult to educate the public about what is happening when we have so many media organisations with a vested interest in carrying on with actions that damage the planet. I hope that by posting a few links on here about what is really happening, there may be a few more that realise why these protests are needed.

A few years ago I would probably have been amongst those on here who criticise JSO protests. I've been a Tory voter all my life and also voted to leave the EU, I was also a Daily Mail reader influenced by their lies. My views started to change when the Government made so many bad decisions during the pandemic and it became clear that lying by Government Ministers and Tory MPs, lead by a now disgraced Prime Minister, was endemic. I then questioned myself why I previously held the views I did and I started to look out at alternative sources of news. 
    Direct action on Number 10
    Direct action on Parliament 
    Direct action on oil firms
    Direct action on gas firms
    Direct action on relevant ministers Houses
    Direct action anywhere that will gain maximum attention, without constantly inconveniencing people who have no power to change things.

Sunak etc doesn't give a f**k that the Coca-Cola float at Pride was held up for 15 minutes. Or the snooker / early round Wimbledon match was held up. The only people who do, are people who are generally already clued up on the plight but have no means to affect change. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    It highlights that the policies he followed have led to the problems that we are all experiencing today. He chose oil and gas over renewables, the renewables that are now very much cheaper. We all have higher energy bills as a result and have continued with energy that creates the greenhouse gases that heat up the planet.

I understand targeting him but NOT on his wedding day. Can't you see that isn't acceptable.
    He is a legitimate target on his wedding day, as it has given more publicity than if they were to sit outside his house. Nobody was hurt, yet more people are now aware of his role in the problems we face today.

I wish that those who are angry about a bit of orange confetti would direct that anger at a Government that wants to reduce our net zero targets, and open up new oil, coal and gas fields that will have no effect on energy security for the UK
    Not on his wedding day, anyone who supports that is a pretty vile human being IMO. Although I think you lost your marbles a long time ago. 

A quick look on social media can see more people turning against JSO after the Osborne incident. 
    I hope you will retract that statement which is personal and unacceptable. 
    No sorry I won't. I will question people if they think what happened at the wedding was acceptable (not even necessarily to Osborne but more so his wife). 
  • edited July 2023
    Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

Direct action anywhere that will gain maximum attention, without constantly inconveniencing people who have no power to change things.

Sunak etc doesn't give a f**k that the Coca-Cola float at Pride was held up for 15 minutes. Or the snooker / early round Wimbledon match was held up. The only people who do, are people who are generally already clued up on the plight but have no means to affect change. 
    What is an oxymoron? 

I also find it funny that you're assuming they don't do all of those already, or don't have plans to.
  • tps://www.desmog.com/2023/04/21/tufton-street-linked-donors-have-given-630000-to-the-conservatives-since-sunak-became-prime-minister/

Haven't had any comments on my post on his from last night. After reading it can anyone still say that organisations, many of which deny that Climate Change exists, are not having an influence on Government policy?

If you believe that climate change is caused by the actions of humans, and many of you who have opposed the actions of JSO have said that you do believe that, how can you not believe that these organisations and companies are funding the Tory party? They do so to achieve their own aims, ie to keep on polluting the planet.
    No comments yet.

I suspect that those who have continued to criticise JSO protesters haven't even bothered to read the article. Those that may read it haven't put forward any persuasive arguments against the claim that the Government's strings are being pulled by organisations who have a vested interest in continuing with fossil fuel production.
    I’ve twice tried to read it and found it a little hard to follow / be clear on the facts. But maybe that’s me. 

I think it’s highlighting a single donor has given £500k to the Tory party who may be a supporter of Fracking. Others have given less. 

But I’m not sure what you are suggesting. Is the serious suggestion that for the sake of £500k which gets swallowed up on Tory party costs  and not personal gain they are ignoring all common sense on this? 

I repeat I am no expert but am confident there are genuine arguments that support the limited licences now being granted. 

It cannot be as black and white as you suggest. 

All governments have to balance lots of issues and I am confused why they wouldn’t go all anti these licences if it’s so clear cut and a vote winner. 

I am generally pro onshore and offshore wind fir balance. But feel it has to be more complex than suggested. 
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

There was direct action on a former Chancellor, but people are up in arms about it. 

If direct action on all those listed above took place, many would still complain that they were being inconvenienced.

If I were to suggest that everyone who thinks they have no power to change things, takes a banner with the words 'Just Stop Oil' to their next sporting event, do you think it would be allowed?  Instead of criticising JSO, start to support them instead.
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

Exactly. JSO have been going 18 months, it was over a year ago that they glued themselves to the Van Gogh painting, what have they achieved? These are some of the first comments on their twitter page regarding the Osborne incident:

- Get over yourselves, you pathological narcissists!
    - Supporter of the overall cause but very not cool. It’s their wedding day. Decent human decency. Even if you feel austerity inflicted pain (which it did), you don’t go down to their level.
    - I hate Osbourne with every fibre of my being for what he has done, in fact he should face trials for crimes against humanity But this is a despicable act Well done just stop Oil you are worse than Osbourne, and that's quite the achievement
    - Imagine what kind of person it takes whose sense of purpose and satisfaction comes from ruining things for others.
    - Not one person agrees with this. What exactly has been achieved here? What even is this cause? Can people not be happy is that the aim?
    Just makes me want top my car up every time I see one of these stunts. Just stop oil is costing me a fortune in petrol!
    Just for this, I’m going to sit in my car everyday at lunch and idle it for an hour. And I’m going to drive the longest way possible to every destination I go. And I’m going to buy all my clothing at North Face because all their synthetic materials are derived from petroleum.

Of the 30 odd comments I read, 2 were supportive. I don't care about them disrupting sports events, I'll laugh if Hearn follows through with his legal action but all in all, it's not a big deal. But they've tried to ruin a wedding and lie in the street blocking normal people going about their daily basis. I'm glad they've achieved nothing which is a shame when their end game is about positive change. 
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

Exactly. JSO have been going 18 months, it was over a year ago that they glued themselves to the Van Gogh painting, what have they achieved? These are some of the first comments on their twitter page regarding the Osborne incident:

- Supporter of the overall cause but very not cool. It’s their wedding day. Decent human decency. Even if you feel austerity inflicted pain (which it did), you don’t go down to their level.
    - I hate Osbourne with every fibre of my being for what he has done, in fact he should face trials for crimes against humanity But this is a despicable act Well done just stop Oil you are worse than Osbourne, and that's quite the achievement
    - Imagine what kind of person it takes whose sense of purpose and satisfaction comes from ruining things for others.
    - Not one person agrees with this. What exactly has been achieved here? What even is this cause? Can people not be happy is that the aim?
    - Just makes me want top my car up every time I see one of these stunts. Just stop oil is costing me a fortune in petrol!
    - Just for this, I’m going to sit in my car everyday at lunch and idle it for an hour. And I’m going to drive the longest way possible to every destination I go. And I’m going to buy all my clothing at North Face because all their synthetic materials are derived from petroleum.

Of the 30 odd comments I read, 2 were supportive. I don't care about them disrupting sports events, I'll laugh if Hearn follows through with his legal action but all in all, it's not a big deal. But they've tried to ruin a wedding and lie in the street blocking normal people going about their daily basis. I'm glad they've achieved nothing which is a shame when their end game is about positive change. 
    Let's all pop over to the Grand National thread to see what people were saying about that peaceful protest. Trying to have them done for manslaughter of an animal for one. 

Like I said originally, the only protest that will be supported is one that causes zero disruption and doesn't get media coverage. 

The only protest that works is one that is disruptive and gets media coverage. 

You see the issue here? 
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

There was direct action on a former Chancellor, but people are up in arms about it. 

If direct action on all those listed above took place, many would still complain that they were being inconvenienced.

If I were to suggest that everyone who thinks they have no power to change things, takes a banner with the words 'Just Stop Oil' to their next sporting event, do you think it would be allowed?  Instead of criticising JSO, start to support them instead.
    Obviously our interpretation of direct action differs. To me, gatecrashing a wedding in that way, then walking off with a smirk on your face,(shows how concerned she is eh?) is acting like a vindictive ****. She didn't even unfoil a banner or anything. Done purely to get herself in the news, as opposed to any message, just like the others
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

Some of those measures will inconvenience the public as I explained earlier, the direct action on oil and gas firms potentially disrupting supply chains if successful. People don't mind long ques waiting for petrol then if that's what happens.

Blockading oil terminals is what Greta's up in court for later this month, in Sweden mind. I don't think indirect action will make any difference to those companies do you? Government legislation might, so keeping the pressure on them as you suggest might work, but isn't working at the moment.  

I'm not sure how anyone with the slightest grasp of the crisis can condone anyone advocating wasting oil to spite protesters and inflict deliberate harm on the climate and humanity. They are idiots, plain and simple.
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

- Just makes me want top my car up every time I see one of these stunts. Just stop oil is costing me a fortune in petrol!
    - Just for this, I’m going to sit in my car everyday at lunch and idle it for an hour. And I’m going to drive the longest way possible to every destination I go. And I’m going to buy all my clothing at North Face because all their synthetic materials are derived from petroleum.

Let's all pop over to the Grand National thread to see what people were saying about that peaceful protest. Trying to have them done for manslaughter of an animal for one. 

Like I said originally, the only protest that will be supported is one that causes zero disruption and doesn't get media coverage. 

You see the issue here? 
    well that's personal opinion. Personally I'm not too fussed about the disruption at sports events. The Grand National however is different as it also affects the horses. But anything affecting humans only doesn't concern me. 

You say about the protests working yet how have they worked? I thought licenses were still being issued daily?
  • clb74 said:
    How far do we go with saving the planet?
    Was sitting on the toilet earlier and thought to myself do we really need toilet paper?
    I could wipe my arse with me left hand and then wash them.
    Some won't be happy until we are eating grass, ditching our cars for horse and cart and wiping our bumbas with leafs. Can't use a bidet now due to wasting water init. 
  • If there ever was a classic example of people being more concerned with the fire alarm than the fire, people changing their behaviour to spite protesters is it.
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You and I have followed a similar path in many senses (Brexit vote aside). I voted Conservative in the last election, but then the incompetence/dishonesty of the current government made me question a lot. To a point where I don’t think I could ever vote for them again. 

But it’s frustrating when there is a movement that has legitimate purpose being run in a way that alienates more people than it encourages. That is what JSO are doing. I think their behaviour is sending general sentiment in the wrong direction. And the fact this thread is so heated, as is practically every conversation happening up and down the country on the topic, is testament to the fact that JSO’s approach does not work. It won’t ever work. 
    I don’t think their actions do alienate more people than they encourage. I think their actions are the nudge that many of us including me by the way need to make us engage. The simple fact that this thread exists is proof of that. I don’t think JSO care one jot how many people the alienate or bring on board. Their action is solely to gain attention and give the debate profile. For my money it’s working. 
  • clb74 said:
    Was sitting on the toilet earlier and thought to myself do we really need toilet paper?
    Some won't be happy until we are eating grass, ditching our cars for horse and cart and wiping our bumbas with leafs. Can't use a bidet now due to wasting water init. 
    Just use Mrs toothbrush like I do
  • Gribbo said:
    clb74 said:
    Just use Mrs toothbrush like I do
    It's made out of palet wood and pine needles before this starts anyone off!!
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You see the issue here? 
    well that's personal opinion. Personally I'm not too fussed about the disruption at sports events. The Grand National however is different as it also affects the horses. But anything affecting humans only doesn't concern me. 

You say about the protests working yet how have they worked? I thought licenses were still being issued daily?
    I wouldn’t want to see any horses hurt by anyone’s actions but if nothing changes then millions of horses will inevitably die. As will humans. 
  • edited July 2023
    Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You see the issue here? 

I wouldn’t want to see any horses hurt by anyone’s actions but if nothing changes then millions of horses will inevitably die. As will humans. 
    Why hurt one horse if the actions are misguided and complete pointless?
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You see the issue here? 

If a horse is injured I’d say that action was misguided. I don’t see the protests as pointless. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You see the issue here? 

True, hence why I support climate change action. But they didn’t need to potentially cause injury/death to a horse to get their point across did they? 
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You see the issue here? 

If a horse is injured I’d say that action was misguided. I don’t see the protests as pointless. 
    So you think the racing is the best place for JSO to protest and get things changed?
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You see the issue here? 

True, hence why I support climate change action. But they didn’t need to potentially cause injury/death to a horse to get their point across did they? 
    The horse was injured/killed by a fence, not by a protester. 
  • edited July 2023
    I think the idea is that the public who are inconvenienced need to get in touch with their MPs to say “and what exactly are you doing about climate change?”  The Tories might change their tune on the environment if they were concerned that their potential voters were supportive of more being done and faster to protect the environment. The government could be choosing to do more. Instead, they’ve chosen to crack down on protests about it, outlawing noisy and disruptive protests.

I also recall reading that when the climate protestors ended up in court, they were not permitted to offer by way of a defence that they carried out the protests because of their concerns about the environment.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/mar/08/court-restrictions-on-climate-protesters-deeply-concerning-say-leading-lawyers

• Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You see the issue here? 

Could argue whether their actions contributed to the fall all day. I don’t wish to do that and I never said it did, I said it could potentially cause an injury/death, which their reckless actions could certainly have done. 
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You see the issue here? 

Could argue whether their actions contributed to the fall all day. I don’t wish to do that and I never said it did, I said it could potentially cause an injury/death, which their reckless actions could certainly have done. 
    So you're fine with disruption at sporting events, 'just not that one'. 

If you don't like potential injury/death of horses, I've got an entire sport you could protest against. 
  • The main man. Gwan Louis me old son.

• So, not JSO at Osborne’s wedding after all:

Just Stop Oil deny disrupting George Osborne wedding https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66146877
  • It was a plant by oil companies to make JSO look silly no doubt! 

More like they're embarrassed and backtracking. Such bad publicity from this, although I guess we are all talking about it etc etc
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You see the issue here? 

That’s what I said.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!