Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    And why target George Osborne anyway? 

He has not been in office since 2016 or even an MP since 2017. 

This is why George Osborne is being targeted- this is what he said 10 years ago. Are we any better off now, do we have energy security, absolutely not, Had George Osborne invested in more renewables we would have been in a much better position now, instead we have had the highest energy prices in our history. The following paragraph has been taken from this article - I suggest that you read all it to see how decisions taken by George Osborne 10 years ago have huge ramifications now.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/28/climate-change-energy-bills-george-osborne

George Osborne has said he does not want Britain to be a world-leader in fighting climate change because the UK should not price itself out of international energy markets by placing too heavy an environmental burden on suppliers.

His comments come after a landmark report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) warned if greenhouse gas emissions remained at current rates, within 20-30 years the world would face nearly inevitable warming of more than 2C, resulting in rising sea levels, heatwaves, droughts and more extreme weather.

Interviewed ahead of the Tory party conference, Osborne told the Times: "I want to provide for the country the cheapest energy possible, consistent with having it reliable, in other words as a steady supply, and consistent with us playing our part in an international effort to tackle climate change.

"But I don't want us to be the only people out there in front of the rest of the world. I certainly think we shouldn't be further ahead of our partners in Europe."

• tps://www.desmog.com/2023/04/21/tufton-street-linked-donors-have-given-630000-to-the-conservatives-since-sunak-became-prime-minister/

Haven't had any comments on my post on his from last night. After reading it can anyone still say that organisations, many of which deny that Climate Change exists, are not having an influence on Government policy?

If you believe that climate change is caused by the actions of humans, and many of you who have opposed the actions of JSO have said that you do believe that, how can you not believe that these organisations and companies are funding the Tory party? They do so to achieve their own aims, ie to keep on polluting the planet.
  • Gribbo said:
    Got no problem with direct action, as long as its directed in yhe right place
    I.e. away from where anyone can see it. 
    No, directly to the people who their protests concern. It ain't a hard concept to grasp, is it. Although we've just heard JSO won't go to parliament, just incase they get arrested followed by a tougher outcome, than what they get disrupting normal people. They don't mind insighting normal people to commit crime, when removing them from roads etc, just to go about their lives.

Nb. .Think it's been respectful so far, so not sure why you keep loling my posts mate. Dirty underhand tactic, designed to wind someone up.
  • MrOneLung said:

Gideon was one of the architects of austerity which, as has    I have have not not yet   (?(already been seen in the covid (
        I
    m m    M I Ab
     enquiry, seriously damaged the UK’s preparedness for a global pandemic.
    So nothing to do with issue at hand, just wanted to to randomly try and take over someone’s wedding. 

Like has been said many times, the actions are undermining the message 
  • Gribbo said:
    MrOneLung said:

Gideon was one of the architects of austerity which, as has already been seen in the covid enquiry, seriously damaged the UK’s preparedness for a global pandemic.
    Do you think that by calling him Gideon, makes him sound more like a toff and enhances your working class argument?
    Well it is his name.
    Think everyone knows it's his real name, but it isn't the name he uses, so why use it? Genuine questuion
  • As always, I am curious to know where the protest tips from being acceptable to unacceptable to the people that currently condone these actions.
  • Nice one Shirley you absolutely hero. Look at that face, clearly looking worried about all them new licences being issued.

• Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    MrOneLung said:

Gideon was one of the architects of austerity which, as has already been seen in the covid enquiry, seriously damaged the UK’s preparedness for a global pandemic.
    Do you think that by calling him Gideon, makes him sound more like a toff and enhances your working class argument?
    Well it is his name.
    Think everyone knows it's his real name, but it isn't the name he uses, so why use it? Genuine questuion
    I wonder why he chose to be called George when an MP. It wasn’t even his middle name - born Gideon Oliver Osborne.
  • If it had been normal confetti, would that have been okay? It was orange with no harm done, but has again highlighted that the Government's plan for new oil exploration licences is crazy. 

If George Osborne had promoted green energy sources instead of more oil and gas, we would be in a much better position now. The article linked to that tweet shows just how short sighted that decision has proved to be.
    Let me know when it’s one of your families wedding and I’ll come and throw a bucket of oil over them. I trust that won’t spoil your day.
    Ridiculous comparison, nobody hurt by confetti (as long as it is bio-degradable).
    that's not the point though is it. It was THEIR big day and some uninvited random decided to attempt to ruin it. Confetti, oil, bricks, whatever it my have been it was totally unwarranted. If you want to throw something over him, not that I'd advocate such actions, then why not outside the Houses of Parliment. Scum, the lot of them.
    Why has this got a lol? 

Hither Green, falcon wood, blue bell hill. What have these all got in common? They have cemeteries or crematoriums. Is it okay for protestors to rock up and throw orange dirt on a coffin?

I am actually interested in  what they have to say and how I can be educated. But as long as they are making the average Joe miss work, or a medical appointment, they can go fuck themselves

if they want publicity, hire tv or radio advertising space, door knock and canvas. Educate, not disrupt. Get the public inside and have safety in numbers
    I'm not sure where we are education wise. Most on here claim to understand and agree with the cause, although we then see someone claiming that JSO's actions are counter productive and that a consequence of them is that people want them to fail.

That doesn't suggest any appreciation of the scale of the issue to me, so I agree that more education is required. I think a study reported that of those who voted in the referendum, 14% didn't agree with the statement that climate change was caused by man, and another that 6% believed global warming was a hoax.

They're not high figures, which might be encouraging were it not for reading comments about how easily a bunch of protesters can change someone's mind that it isn't a problem that needs dealing with and that they're undermining the message.

If doing something about climate change is something so easily put off for a rainy day, I ask how much more f*cking rain do we need?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    Can I just say that if I was “disrupted” or “inconvenienced “ by JSO protests I’d be one of those that screamed loudest and I’d moan like feck. Does that make me a hypocrite ? Probably but I also like to think that overall I can ultimately see that these protests are not like other protests we get and we’ve seen. These protests are genuinely about the survival and continuing existence of the human race. Governments are paying lip service to the solutions and like all politicians they are only interested in financing that affects the next election. Kick it down the road which is what we see time and time again. Where are the initiatives for home insulation, domestic solar energy, upgrading our housing stock ? The government have delayed announcing its funding for green initiatives from April to now August and the rumours are it will get delayed again. Forget about projects like HS2 and practically anything else you can think of. The number 1,2 and three priorities should be energy considerations. These things are not optionally nice things to have. Going forward across the world they are essential if we don’t want to see climate catastrophe up to and including extinction. If you think our whole existence is not in jeopardy then you need to pay a little more attention. 
  • tps://www.desmog.com/2023/04/21/tufton-street-linked-donors-have-given-630000-to-the-conservatives-since-sunak-became-prime-minister/

Haven't had any comments on my post on his from last night. After reading it can anyone still say that organisations, many of which deny that Climate Change exists, are not having an influence on Government policy?

If you believe that climate change is caused by the actions of humans, and many of you who have opposed the actions of JSO have said that you do believe that, how can you not believe that these organisations and companies are funding the Tory party? They do so to achieve their own aims, ie to keep on polluting the planet.
    And you still haven't replied to how you would feel if you were targeted on your wedding day by protesters 
  • Can I just say that if I was “disrupted” or “inconvenienced “ by JSO protests I’d be one of those that screamed loudest and I’d moan like feck. Does that make me a hypocrite ? Probably but I also like to think that overall I can ultimately see that these protests are not like other protests we get and we’ve seen. These protests are genuinely about the survival and continuing existence of the human race. Governments are paying lip service to the solutions and like all politicians they are only interested in financing that affects the next election. Kick it down the road which is what we see time and time again. Where are the initiatives for home insulation, domestic solar energy, upgrading our housing stock ? The government have delayed announcing its funding for green initiatives from April to now August and the rumours are it will get delayed again. Forget about projects like HS2 and practically anything else you can think of. The number 1,2 and three priorities should be energy considerations. These things are not optionally nice things to have. Going forward across the world they are essential if we don’t want to see climate catastrophe up to and including extinction. If you think our whole existence is not in jeopardy then you need to pay a little more attention. 
    So how does targeting a former Chancellor on his wedding day help the cause?
  • If I was to join JSO, I'd probably go all Meatloaf on them, "I would do anything.... but I won't do that!" which I suspect is what a lot of them say when joining. I bet they drag you in though.  B)

• Huskaris said:
    As always, I am curious to know where the protest tips from being acceptable to unacceptable to the people that currently condone these actions.
    Pretty simple really. 

Protest without violence = good. 

Violence = bad. 

Think people should be praising the protestors for maintaining a peaceful protest and not escalating further. 
    Does the lack of violence mitigate the physical harm and loss of life these protests can potentially cause?

I honestly don’t know, climate change is the biggest single issue we currently face and a lot needs to be done to address the many issues, so I totally understand why drastic measures need to be taken, at the same time I also see the “they need to win people over, not alienate them” argument. 

It’s a tough one, that’s for sure. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Can I just say that if I was “disrupted” or “inconvenienced “ by JSO protests I’d be one of those that screamed loudest and I’d moan like feck. Does that make me a hypocrite ? Probably but I also like to think that overall I can ultimately see that these protests are not like other protests we get and we’ve seen. These protests are genuinely about the survival and continuing existence of the human race. Governments are paying lip service to the solutions and like all politicians they are only interested in financing that affects the next election. Kick it down the road which is what we see time and time again. Where are the initiatives for home insulation, domestic solar energy, upgrading our housing stock ? The government have delayed announcing its funding for green initiatives from April to now August and the rumours are it will get delayed again. Forget about projects like HS2 and practically anything else you can think of. The number 1,2 and three priorities should be energy considerations. These things are not optionally nice things to have. Going forward across the world they are essential if we don’t want to see climate catastrophe up to and including extinction. If you think our whole existence is not in jeopardy then you need to pay a little more attention. 
    Because we’re talking about it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:
    Yes by calling them scum. I’m sure they’ll have a million new followers today 
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    MrOneLung said:

Well it is his name.
    I wonder why he chose to be called George when an MP. It wasn’t even his middle name - born Gideon Oliver Osborne.

As a teenager he didn't like the name Gideon and adopted the name George after his grandfather. 

• JohnnyH2 said:
    We were talking about it before this flurry of narcissistic, performative JSO nonsense. What has changed? 
  • Croydon said:
    This thread: they need to stop inconveniencing the public and go after the politicians 

Also this thread: no, not like that!
    On his wedding day though? Surely you’re better than that pal 
  • Huskaris said:
    As always, I am curious to know where the protest tips from being acceptable to unacceptable to the people that currently condone these actions.
    Pretty simple really. 

Violence = bad. 

Think people should be praising the protestors for maintaining a peaceful protest and not escalating further. 
    Oh so you disagree with the suffragettes then? Their bombing and arson campaign killed people.

Weird that we keep using them as an example of direct action needed to bring change. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Pretty simple really. 

Violence = bad. 

Does the lack of violence mitigate the physical harm and loss of life these protests can potentially cause?

I honestly don’t know, climate change is the biggest single issue we currently face and a lot needs to be done to address the many issues, so I totally understand why drastic measures need to be taken, at the same time I also see the “they need to win people over, not alienate them” argument. 

Yes because clearly it's not intentional. 

Saying the protests themselves cause loss of life and physical harm from blocking a road is a stretch. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    Pretty simple really. 

Violence = bad. 

Oh so you disagree with the suffragettes then? Their bombing and arson campaign killed people.

Weird that we keep using them as an example of direct action needed to bring change. 
    "Think people should be praising the protestors for maintaining a peaceful protest and not escalating further."

I obviously don't condone violence, but it's a natural conclusion when people that want change aren't being listened to. Was true for the Suffragettes and I hope won't be the case here. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Pretty simple really. 

Violence = bad. 

Yes because clearly it's not intentional. 

Saying the protests themselves cause loss of life and physical harm from blocking a road is a stretch. 
    Intentional, no, absolutely predictable, absolutely. As I said I don’t know which side of the fence I sit, as it’s a very complex situation, I just hope the message gets across and I wish the lives of so many didn’t need to get screwed up in the process. Unfortunately I have no idea how those two ideals can be achieved. 
  • cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    We were talking about it before this flurry of narcissistic, performative JSO nonsense. What has changed? 
    How the feck is campaigning to save the world narcissistic?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!