Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Can I just say that if I was “disrupted” or “inconvenienced “ by JSO protests I’d be one of those that screamed loudest and I’d moan like feck. Does that make me a hypocrite ? Probably but I also like to think that overall I can ultimately see that these protests are not like other protests we get and we’ve seen. These protests are genuinely about the survival and continuing existence of the human race. Governments are paying lip service to the solutions and like all politicians they are only interested in financing that affects the next election. Kick it down the road which is what we see time and time again. Where are the initiatives for home insulation, domestic solar energy, upgrading our housing stock ? The government have delayed announcing its funding for green initiatives from April to now August and the rumours are it will get delayed again. Forget about projects like HS2 and practically anything else you can think of. The number 1,2 and three priorities should be energy considerations. These things are not optionally nice things to have. Going forward across the world they are essential if we don’t want to see climate catastrophe up to and including extinction. If you think our whole existence is not in jeopardy then you need to pay a little more attention. 
    So how does targeting a former Chancellor on his wedding day help the cause?
    Because we’re talking about it. 
    We were talking about it before this flurry of narcissistic, performative JSO nonsense. What has changed? 
    How the feck is campaigning to save the world narcissistic?

Acting as if the law doesn’t apply to them is narcissistic.

Acting as though everybody else’s’ day should be disrupted in order to promote their beliefs is narcissistic. 

And yeah, using somebody’s wedding day to make a political point is really fucking narcissistic.

The whole “well, it’s only confetti - it’s nothing compared to where the world will be in years to come” simply doesn’t wash as an argument. I’m 100% in agreement with their concern for the planet, but all they are doing is using shock tactics to try and make themselves the main characters of a story when the protest effort could be focused more on educating.

Now, let’s go back to the question of what has changed since their narcissistic behaviour came about? 
    An inconvienent truth came out in 2006. The 'education' has been happening for 15 years and has it stopped the course of the planet? No. 

This is logically what comes next. 

"The planet registered its hottest day since records began for the third time in just four days this week, deepening fears about the far-reaching changes taking place in Earth’s system because of the climate emergency.

Unofficial data from U.S. researchers showed the planet’s daily average temperature soared to 17.23 degrees Celsius (63.01 degrees Fahrenheit) on Thursday, surpassing two previous heat records registered in recent days.

The extraordinary feat comes shortly after the European Union’s climate change service confirmed the planet observed its hottest June on record, with unprecedented sea surface temperatures and record low Antarctic sea ice."

Bit more education here. 

I’m on board with the movement to protect the planet, and I’ve made steps of my own to try and contribute to that in my own way. 

My point is in relation to the conduct of JSO. Not their underlying message (which again, gets clouded by their narcissistic tendencies).
    Can you suggest a better way than the course of action they are taking?

Education is key, but it's difficult to educate the public about what is happening when we have so many media organisations with a vested interest in carrying on with actions that damage the planet. I hope that by posting a few links on here about what is really happening, there may be a few more that realise why these protests are needed.

A few years ago I would probably have been amongst those on here who criticise JSO protests. I've been a Tory voter all my life and also voted to leave the EU, I was also a Daily Mail reader influenced by their lies. My views started to change when the Government made so many bad decisions during the pandemic and it became clear that lying by Government Ministers and Tory MPs, lead by a now disgraced Prime Minister, was endemic. I then questioned myself why I previously held the views I did and I started to look out at alternative sources of news. 
    Direct action on Number 10
    Direct action on Parliament 
    Direct action on oil firms
    Direct action on gas firms
    Direct action on relevant ministers Houses
    Direct action anywhere that will gain maximum attention, without constantly inconveniencing people who have no power to change things.

Sunak etc doesn't give a f**k that the Coca-Cola float at Pride was held up for 15 minutes. Or the snooker / early round Wimbledon match was held up. The only people who do, are people who are generally already clued up on the plight but have no means to affect change. 
    Exactly. JSO have been going 18 months, it was over a year ago that they glued themselves to the Van Gogh painting, what have they achieved? These are some of the first comments on their twitter page regarding the Osborne incident:

- Get over yourselves, you pathological narcissists!
    - Supporter of the overall cause but very not cool. It’s their wedding day. Decent human decency. Even if you feel austerity inflicted pain (which it did), you don’t go down to their level.
    - I hate Osbourne with every fibre of my being for what he has done, in fact he should face trials for crimes against humanity But this is a despicable act Well done just stop Oil you are worse than Osbourne, and that's quite the achievement
    - Imagine what kind of person it takes whose sense of purpose and satisfaction comes from ruining things for others.
    - Not one person agrees with this. What exactly has been achieved here? What even is this cause? Can people not be happy is that the aim?
    - Just makes me want top my car up every time I see one of these stunts. Just stop oil is costing me a fortune in petrol!
    - Just for this, I’m going to sit in my car everyday at lunch and idle it for an hour. And I’m going to drive the longest way possible to every destination I go. And I’m going to buy all my clothing at North Face because all their synthetic materials are derived from petroleum.

Of the 30 odd comments I read, 2 were supportive. I don't care about them disrupting sports events, I'll laugh if Hearn follows through with his legal action but all in all, it's not a big deal. But they've tried to ruin a wedding and lie in the street blocking normal people going about their daily basis. I'm glad they've achieved nothing which is a shame when their end game is about positive change. 
    Let's all pop over to the Grand National thread to see what people were saying about that peaceful protest. Trying to have them done for manslaughter of an animal for one. 

Like I said originally, the only protest that will be supported is one that causes zero disruption and doesn't get media coverage. 

The only protest that works is one that is disruptive and gets media coverage. 

You see the issue here? 
    well that's personal opinion. Personally I'm not too fussed about the disruption at sports events. The Grand National however is different as it also affects the horses. But anything affecting humans only doesn't concern me. 

You say about the protests working yet how have they worked? I thought licenses were still being issued daily?
    I wouldn’t want to see any horses hurt by anyone’s actions but if nothing changes then millions of horses will inevitably die. As will humans. 
    Why hurt one horse if the actions are misguided and complete pointless?
    If a horse is injured I’d say that action was misguided. I don’t see the protests as pointless. 
    So you think the racing is the best place for JSO to protest and get things changed?
    I don’t 
  • Completely unacceptable they targeted him in his private life and especially his wedding day. Anyone that thinks otherwise is clearly not emotionally intelligent 
  • According to this research, JSO protests actually increase support for them and their aims:

https://forum.effectivealtruism.org/posts/LXj4cs5dLqDHwJynp/radical-tactics-can-increase-support-for-more-moderate
  • Huskaris said:
    It was a plant by oil companies to make JSO look silly no doubt! 

More like they're embarrassed and backtracking. Such bad publicity from this, although I guess we are all talking about it etc etc
    You think not condemning it is backtracking then. It's appalling publicity, so to save face, they've said it wasn't them but they applaud whoever it was. That will really endear them to the general public.  Did you read the article or just react to the headline?

If only people would get so emotionally enraged by the climate change crisis, the pressure on the government to act might intensify.
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Can I just say that if I was “disrupted” or “inconvenienced “ by JSO protests I’d be one of those that screamed loudest and I’d moan like feck. Does that make me a hypocrite ? Probably but I also like to think that overall I can ultimately see that these protests are not like other protests we get and we’ve seen. These protests are genuinely about the survival and continuing existence of the human race. Governments are paying lip service to the solutions and like all politicians they are only interested in financing that affects the next election. Kick it down the road which is what we see time and time again. Where are the initiatives for home insulation, domestic solar energy, upgrading our housing stock ? The government have delayed announcing its funding for green initiatives from April to now August and the rumours are it will get delayed again. Forget about projects like HS2 and practically anything else you can think of. The number 1,2 and three priorities should be energy considerations. These things are not optionally nice things to have. Going forward across the world they are essential if we don’t want to see climate catastrophe up to and including extinction. If you think our whole existence is not in jeopardy then you need to pay a little more attention. 
    We were talking about it before this flurry of narcissistic, performative JSO nonsense. What has changed? 

Acting as though everybody else’s’ day should be disrupted in order to promote their beliefs is narcissistic. 

And yeah, using somebody’s wedding day to make a political point is really fucking narcissistic.

The whole “well, it’s only confetti - it’s nothing compared to where the world will be in years to come” simply doesn’t wash as an argument. I’m 100% in agreement with their concern for the planet, but all they are doing is using shock tactics to try and make themselves the main characters of a story when the protest effort could be focused more on educating.

Now, let’s go back to the question of what has changed since their narcissistic behaviour came about? 
    An inconvienent truth came out in 2006. The 'education' has been happening for 15 years and has it stopped the course of the planet? No. 

"The planet registered its hottest day since records began for the third time in just four days this week, deepening fears about the far-reaching changes taking place in Earth’s system because of the climate emergency.

Unofficial data from U.S. researchers showed the planet’s daily average temperature soared to 17.23 degrees Celsius (63.01 degrees Fahrenheit) on Thursday, surpassing two previous heat records registered in recent days.

The extraordinary feat comes shortly after the European Union’s climate change service confirmed the planet observed its hottest June on record, with unprecedented sea surface temperatures and record low Antarctic sea ice."

Bit more education here. 

I’m on board with the movement to protect the planet, and I’ve made steps of my own to try and contribute to that in my own way. 

My point is in relation to the conduct of JSO. Not their underlying message (which again, gets clouded by their narcissistic tendencies).

Education is key, but it's difficult to educate the public about what is happening when we have so many media organisations with a vested interest in carrying on with actions that damage the planet. I hope that by posting a few links on here about what is really happening, there may be a few more that realise why these protests are needed.

A few years ago I would probably have been amongst those on here who criticise JSO protests. I've been a Tory voter all my life and also voted to leave the EU, I was also a Daily Mail reader influenced by their lies. My views started to change when the Government made so many bad decisions during the pandemic and it became clear that lying by Government Ministers and Tory MPs, lead by a now disgraced Prime Minister, was endemic. I then questioned myself why I previously held the views I did and I started to look out at alternative sources of news. 
    Direct action anywhere that will gain maximum attention, without constantly inconveniencing people who have no power to change things.

Sunak etc doesn't give a f**k that the Coca-Cola float at Pride was held up for 15 minutes. Or the snooker / early round Wimbledon match was held up. The only people who do, are people who are generally already clued up on the plight but have no means to affect change. 
    Exactly. JSO have been going 18 months, it was over a year ago that they glued themselves to the Van Gogh painting, what have they achieved? These are some of the first comments on their twitter page regarding the Osborne incident:

- Supporter of the overall cause but very not cool. It’s their wedding day. Decent human decency. Even if you feel austerity inflicted pain (which it did), you don’t go down to their level.
    - I hate Osbourne with every fibre of my being for what he has done, in fact he should face trials for crimes against humanity But this is a despicable act Well done just stop Oil you are worse than Osbourne, and that's quite the achievement
    - Imagine what kind of person it takes whose sense of purpose and satisfaction comes from ruining things for others.
    - Not one person agrees with this. What exactly has been achieved here? What even is this cause? Can people not be happy is that the aim?
    - Just makes me want top my car up every time I see one of these stunts. Just stop oil is costing me a fortune in petrol!
    - Just for this, I’m going to sit in my car everyday at lunch and idle it for an hour. And I’m going to drive the longest way possible to every destination I go. And I’m going to buy all my clothing at North Face because all their synthetic materials are derived from petroleum.

Of the 30 odd comments I read, 2 were supportive. I don't care about them disrupting sports events, I'll laugh if Hearn follows through with his legal action but all in all, it's not a big deal. But they've tried to ruin a wedding and lie in the street blocking normal people going about their daily basis. I'm glad they've achieved nothing which is a shame when their end game is about positive change. 
    Let's all pop over to the Grand National thread to see what people were saying about that peaceful protest. Trying to have them done for manslaughter of an animal for one. 

Like I said originally, the only protest that will be supported is one that causes zero disruption and doesn't get media coverage. 

You see the issue here? 
    well that's personal opinion. Personally I'm not too fussed about the disruption at sports events. The Grand National however is different as it also affects the horses. But anything affecting humans only doesn't concern me. 

You say about the protests working yet how have they worked? I thought licenses were still being issued daily?
    I wouldn’t want to see any horses hurt by anyone’s actions but if nothing changes then millions of horses will inevitably die. As will humans. 
    True, hence why I support climate change action. But they didn’t need to potentially cause injury/death to a horse to get their point across did they? 
    The horse was injured/killed by a fence, not by a protester. 
    Could argue whether their actions contributed to the fall all day. I don’t wish to do that and I never said it did, I said it could potentially cause an injury/death, which their reckless actions could certainly have done. 
    So you're fine with disruption at sporting events, 'just not that one'. 

If you don't like potential injury/death of horses, I've got an entire sport you could protest against. 
    I was against that protest because it affected animals, Wimbledon, F1, Snooker doesn’t. I wouldn’t have thought it was difficult to comprehend the difference, even for you. 
  • edited July 2023

JSO saying it wasn’t them, perhaps it was the real JSO or the new JSO.
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

You see the issue here? 

True, hence why I support climate change action. But they didn’t need to potentially cause injury/death to a horse to get their point across did they? 
    The horse was injured/killed by a fence, not by a protester. 
    Could argue whether their actions contributed to the fall all day. I don’t wish to do that and I never said it did, I said it could potentially cause an injury/death, which their reckless actions could certainly have done. 
    So you're fine with disruption at sporting events, 'just not that one'. 

If you don't like potential injury/death of horses, I've got an entire sport you could protest against. 
    I was against that protest because it affected animals, Wimbledon, F1, Snooker doesn’t. I wouldn’t have thought it was difficult to comprehend the difference, even for you. 
    If they ended up cancelling the race it actually would've benefitted those animals a lot. So a shame the protest didn't work out better. 
  • Huskaris said:

More like they're embarrassed and backtracking. Such bad publicity from this, although I guess we are all talking about it etc etc
    Or a nice way for someone to get the headline away from a certain letter, onto something else in the news? 
  • I find it interesting that it’s not anger at climate change and the culpability of our leaders in failing to adequately address the issue but anger directed at the people pointing out the cataclysmic reality we’re facing that are the real villains. It’s very much straight out of The Daily Mail playbook. 
    What’s funny ?
  • Sponsored links:

• While we’re on the subject of horses, and caring about animals, I would say it’s an easy change to make for people to eat plant based food and not animals. It would help the climate crisis if everybody (unlikely to happen I know) feasted off plants that absorb CO2 and give out Oxygen rather than animals that eat those plants and turn them into methane farts.
  • seth plum said:
    While we’re on the subject of horses, and caring about animals, I would say it’s an easy change to make for people to eat plant based food and not animals. It would help the climate crisis if everybody (unlikely to happen I know) feasted off plants that absorb CO2 and give out Oxygen rather than animals that eat those plants and turn them into methane farts.
    What about eating crickets seth ? Seems insect based protein is gaining traction.
  • cafctom said:
    I find it interesting that it’s not anger at climate change and the culpability of our leaders in failing to adequately address the issue but anger directed at the people pointing out the cataclysmic reality we’re facing that are the real villains. It’s very much straight out of The Daily Mail playbook. 
    What’s funny ?
    The fact that you just rolled out the typical go-to rhetoric that keeps Just Stop Oil and after extreme protest movements climbing uphill to get their point across. 

You chose to alienate those who take issue with the nature of these protests as being “Daily Mail” types. Whilst ignoring the fact that maybe, just maybe, people are capable of having a nuanced view in that they agree with the underlying message but really dislike JSO’s behaviour.

It’s laughable and frustrating in equal measure.

But again, this is exactly demonstrating my point earlier as to why these ‘you’re with us or against us’ movements don’t really go anywhere beyond theatrical bollocks. 
    Raw nerve ?
  • seth plum said:
    While we’re on the subject of horses, and caring about animals, I would say it’s an easy change to make for people to eat plant based food and not animals. It would help the climate crisis if everybody (unlikely to happen I know) feasted off plants that absorb CO2 and give out Oxygen rather than animals that eat those plants and turn them into methane farts.
    What about eating crickets seth ? Seems insect based protein is gaining traction.
    Nah.
    A lot of insect type creatures are good for pollination.
    Not sure if that applies to Crickets.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Nah.
    Farmed crickets ?
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Nah.
    The bails are quite hard to chew.
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    I find it interesting that it’s not anger at climate change and the culpability of our leaders in failing to adequately address the issue but anger directed at the people pointing out the cataclysmic reality we’re facing that are the real villains. It’s very much straight out of The Daily Mail playbook. 
    What’s funny ?
    The fact that you just rolled out the typical go-to rhetoric that keeps Just Stop Oil and after extreme protest movements climbing uphill to get their point across. 

You chose to alienate those who take issue with the nature of these protests as being “Daily Mail” types. Whilst ignoring the fact that maybe, just maybe, people are capable of having a nuanced view in that they agree with the underlying message but really dislike JSO’s behaviour.

But again, this is exactly demonstrating my point earlier as to why these ‘you’re with us or against us’ movements don’t really go anywhere beyond theatrical bollocks. 
    Raw nerve ?
    You’re the one who asked the question as to why anyone would laugh at your point. I answered you.

No raw nerves to touch here. I’m not a Daily Mail reader, GB News watcher, right wing conspiracy theorist. Sorry to disappoint. 
    Never thought you were a conspiracy theorist.
  • Huskaris said:

Or a nice way for someone to get the headline away from a certain letter, onto something else in the news? 

• Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Nah.
    Farmed crickets ?
    Still not for me.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Nah.
    Farmed crickets ?
    Still not for me.
    Better for the environment than livestock.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Nah.
    Farmed crickets ?
    Still not for me.
    Better for the environment than livestock.
    Very probably true, but not for me.
  • cafctom said:
    What’s funny ?

What do you suggest be done to get people to understand what is happening? I suggested that people write to their MP and was laughed at because it, there doesn't seem to be a way to get the message across that opening up 100 new oilfields is unacceptable in a climate emergency.

• cafctom said:
    What’s funny ?

What do you suggest be done to get people to understand what is happening? I suggested that people write to their MP and was laughed at because it, there doesn't seem to be a way to get the message across that opening up 100 new oilfields is unacceptable in a climate emergency.

I have far more time for structured, legal approaches like the one you have suggested.

I don’t have the answer to what the best, most effective approach is. I wish I did. I’m confident that what JSO are doing isn’t it though. 

But that makes me a Daily Mail type apparently.

• edited July 2023
    cafctom said:
    What’s funny ?

They want education. But won't actually do the education, they would just like the protests to go away. Is the long and short of it. 

Anyway time for us all to turn our attention to a motorsport that jets around the world every weekend for our entertainment and consumes a large amount of fuel in the process. 
  • Champs85 said:
    Completely unacceptable they targeted him in his private life and especially his wedding day. Anyone that thinks otherwise is clearly not emotionally intelligent 
    George Osborne was targeted as in 2013 as he said that he didn't want the UK to be leading the world in its efforts to cut emissions because he wanted to provide for the country the cheapest energy possible by using oil and gas rather than renewables and how wrong that has proved to be, the UK was left in a very bad place when Putin invaded Ukraine, with meagre stocks of gas and insufficient energy from renewable sources. What has happened since his decisions were taken is that most people in the country are poorer, it hasn't given us security of energy supply and we have gone against the goal of reducing carbon emissions. He has a lot to answer for.

• UK defies climate warnings with new oil and gas licences

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63163824
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!