Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• The rich and powerful all over the world have their money and empires tied up with the petrochemical industry. Until these rich and powerful people are able to move their investments and empires away from what is definitively a dying industry they have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. It’s the status quo that’s going to kill millions. 
    This a billion times
  • In many ways I suspect the government are quite happy with the protests because it distracts attention away from the failure of what they should be doing. As shown in this thread some people are far more agitated about the actions of the protesters while the government effectively gets a free ride.

Similar really to why the government are failing to negotiate properly with teachers,  doctors and nurses who are striking . When it comes to schools and the NHS, people should be going for the government and asking why schools are so badly under resourced and why the Tories are trying to collapse the NHS. But strike action by teachers, doctors and nurses allows people to be distracted from the root cause of all of these issues - Tory misrule for the last 13 years.
    So true, it's what they do.
  • We’ve moved as a country to Climate Avoidance, political gutlessness from all about not having honest conversations with the public

• JSO saying it wasn’t them, perhaps it was the real JSO or the new JSO.
    Splitters!
  • Sponsored links:

• For what it's worth, I'm against the disruption of ordinary people's lives. Fucking Osborne though? He deserves absolutely everything he gets, and orange confetti really isn't much in the grand scheme of things. (That email sent to the entire guestlist and the press a few days ago chronicling a selection of his sexual misdemeanours though? That's a bit more like it.)
  • edited July 2023
    Turning into proper culture war stuff this! I always thought it was "the right" that do that!?
  • Huskaris said:
    Turning into proper culture war stuff this! I always thought it was "the right" that do that!?
    Would it be a losing move to protest that this is coming from the board's greatest culture war artist? Probably, but whatever. Fun times! Tbh I hate Osborne a lot more than I love JSO so that's my hill here 
  • More here which clarifies why JSO are doing what they’re doing. Because the UK government is failing on climate change:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/09/missed-net-zero-targets-uk-rishi-sunak-cunning-plan
  • Leuth said:
    For what it's worth, I'm against the disruption of ordinary people's lives. Fucking Osborne though? He deserves absolutely everything he gets, and orange confetti really isn't much in the grand scheme of things. (That email sent to the entire guestlist and the press a few days ago chronicling a selection of his sexual misdemeanours though? That's a bit more like it.)
    wasn’t marrying himself though was it 
  • Leuth said:
    For what it's worth, I'm against the disruption of ordinary people's lives. Fucking Osborne though? He deserves absolutely everything he gets, and orange confetti really isn't much in the grand scheme of things. (That email sent to the entire guestlist and the press a few days ago chronicling a selection of his sexual misdemeanours though? That's a bit more like it.)
    Do you mean generally, or regarding climate change? 

Think its quite important as it could also help explain what JSO's primary motivation really is
  • The rich and powerful all over the world have their money and empires tied up with the petrochemical industry. Until these rich and powerful people are able to move their investments and empires away from what is definitively a dying industry they have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. It’s the status quo that’s going to kill millions. 
    I know they can be a bit repetitive but not sure they’re going to kill anyone 
    Confettigate:

A Statement From Just Stop Oil

The lady who threw confetti in Bruton yesterday was upholding a tradition that is common across many cultures. We absolutely defend the right for people to throw confetti (of whatever colour) at weddings and other celebrations. If it was a form of protest — which is yet to be established — we applaud it and thank the person concerned. It was peaceful and not especially disruptive, but got massive media attention for Just Stop Oil’s demand.

It has also helped people to recall that George Osborne, one of the main architects of economic austerity, is directly responsible for over 300,000 excess deaths, and that — as a newspaper editor — he was responsible for some of the most egregious climate-denying nonsense ever to darken the pages of mainstream mass media. However, as much as we applaud the use of orange confetti at this wedding, we were not responsible.

Perhaps the press could focus on something more important now? Like the current government’s plans to licence over 100 new oil and gas projects, which will result in excess deaths the likes of which we have never seen.

Or the fact that the UN Secretary General has said that ‘climate change is out of control’ as we’ve just seen the hottest average temperatures since records began. Or the fact that Canadian wildfires have now burned down an area the size of Portugal. We are in catastrophically dangerous territory and the press have a moral responsibility to inform and educate people as to the causes of the crisis so that we can take action to defend ourselves. In 2023, it is simply criminal not to check your facts.
  • clb74 said:
    All the talk on this thread about we need to do more to save the world.
    With this being a football forum , I don't think I've seen 1 thread started about car sharing to and from games.

Exactly or using Trains for away games. More likely to get where can you park or is there a stream for the game.
  • I imagine those who voted for Osbornes’ government accept the part they played in those decisions and will be quite happy for their own private functions to be gatecrashed. 
  • Sponsored links:

Sorry, just twigged what you mean
    Confettigate:

The lady who threw confetti in Bruton yesterday was upholding a tradition that is common across many cultures. We absolutely defend the right for people to throw confetti (of whatever colour) at weddings and other celebrations. If it was a form of protest — which is yet to be established — we applaud it and thank the person concerned. It was peaceful and not especially disruptive, but got massive media attention for Just Stop Oil’s demand.

It has also helped people to recall that George Osborne, one of the main architects of economic austerity, is directly responsible for over 300,000 excess deaths, and that — as a newspaper editor — he was responsible for some of the most egregious climate-denying nonsense ever to darken the pages of mainstream mass media. However, as much as we applaud the use of orange confetti at this wedding, we were not responsible.

Perhaps the press could focus on something more important now? Like the current government’s plans to licence over 100 new oil and gas projects, which will result in excess deaths the likes of which we have never seen.

Or the fact that the UN Secretary General has said that ‘climate change is out of control’ as we’ve just seen the hottest average temperatures since records began. Or the fact that Canadian wildfires have now burned down an area the size of Portugal. We are in catastrophically dangerous territory and the press have a moral responsibility to inform and educate people as to the causes of the crisis so that we can take action to defend ourselves. In 2023, it is simply criminal not to check your facts.

The hyperbole in that statement is remarkable.

The last line makes me laugh. "...it is simply criminal not to check your facts." At the end of a statement that accuses the ex Chancellor of being directly responsible for 300,000 excess deaths.  
  • I imagine those who voted for Osbornes’ government accept the part they played in those decisions and will be quite happy for their own private functions to be gatecrashed. 
    Highly unlikely that anyone would have the need to gatecrash any event I am involved in.
    Would that be a function at which you didn't do what you had been preaching others must do (ironically, a wedding IIRC).
    Confettigate:

The hyperbole in that statement is remarkable.

The last line makes me laugh. "...it is simply criminal not to check your facts." At the end of a statement that accuses the ex Chancellor of being directly responsible for 300,000 excess deaths.  

Over 330,000 excess deaths in Great Britain linked to austerity, finds study

Over 330,000 excess deaths in Great Britain linked to austerity, finds study | Austerity | The Guardian
    An academic report isn't a factual statement. That is a fact. 

But, if Osborne is directly responsible, so is every member of the conservative government of the time, and anyone that voted for the Conservative government's manifesto. 
  • Wow, if I believed that bollocks and voted Tory, I don't know how I would sleep at night.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    He doesn't understand that climate change is important, seems a Daily Mail type to me. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!