Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• That pylons thing? What the hell is this? How is this a real TV channel? Lmao
  • And this is the declaration Mr. Catt refers to.... it appears to have many highly educated/qualified people from all over the world as signatories. I stress that I am not necessarily saying that they are correct, just putting it here as some balance seeing as so many have suggested that man made climate change is undeniable.
    https://clintel.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/WCD-version-06272215121.pdf
    Please stop it.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/09/16/fact-check-did-1200-climate-experts-sign-declaration-denying-climate-emergency

"When looking closer at the list of signatories, there are precisely 1,107, including six people who are dead. Less than 1% of the names listed describe themselves as climatologists or climate scientists."

"According to an independent 2019 count of the declaration's signatories, 21% were engineers, many linked to the fossil fuel industry. Others were lobbyists, and some even worked as fishermen or airline pilots."

------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus_on_climate_change 
  • R0TW said:
    The guess is that there were 4 billion in 1974.
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?
    This is quite simply the biggest threat to the planet. 
    Trouble is the countries that's population is increasing out of control are non white. 
    So any debate about doing something about it is shouted down as being racist. 
    Most of the world is non-white. Some weird comments on this thread. 

What debate do you want to have, kill off the minorities? 
  • I think I'll take up smoking. The jury is out on if it's bad for your health or not 🙄
  • We have a Government that is about to ditch its promises on Climate Change and issue new licences for oil and gas exploration, this mustn't happen and people are risking being put in prison by a Government that has removed the right to peaceful protest. We're becoming more like Russia every day. 
    Tbf I would absolutely love it if we invaded France
  • edited July 2023
    World population trend is one of decline. Forecasts for the end of this century were at 8.5 10 billion that’s likely to be closer to 6 billion. Given the way the climate is changing I’m guessing that through famine and disaster it could be even less.
  • Can bring swordfish back some duty free cigarettes
  • Sponsored links:

• R0TW said:
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?
    Trouble is the countries that's population is increasing out of control are non white. 

I'd like a sensible debate about how the world's population is continuing to increase year on year. 
    I doubt that debate will be with you though. 
    This isn't really a debatable issue though. There are so many wild and varying factors to human population/human overpopulation that it is impossible to discuss this concisely. 

The increase in the world's population is I think mainly due to advances in medical science: people are living longer. Birth rates are slowly falling to be fair but it is very difficult to verify this data and specify where this is happening/where there are increases in birth rates. But worldwide, they've been falling.

Saying "control population in country X" is basically impossible. How would you propose something is done about it?
  • R0TW said:
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?

I'd like a sensible debate about how the world's population is continuing to increase year on year. 
    What debate would you like to have? 

You've just named a fact and left it at that. 
  • R0TW said:
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?

The world's population has increased decade on decade for the past 100 years. 
    It is continuing to increase despite some so called experts saying will soon decline. 
    Global warming is the biggest threat to civilisation and the longer the earth's population continues to increase the greater the demand on the earth's resources. 
    I have no idea how to tackle this problem but things will only get worse as the population increases. 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    On a wider note, sharing stuff like bexleyaddick has shared and saying "I'm not saying this but here's some balance" is so WILDLY dangerous and misinformative.

THIS IS NOT BALANCE.

This sort of "balance" is "ahh for balance, here's some sources saying the Moon landing was faked" and going straight into the flag fluttering nonsense. 

I have zero tolerance for this and even if the poster is trying to qualify it by saying "oh but I don't necessarily agree" - THEN DON'T SHARE IT!
    Fortunately it's not your forum so disagree by all means but another poster is equally entitled to do what you do, and post what they like (with a few obvious limits of course). And no, I don't agree with what they posted, or Mr Catt generally for that matter. 
    You're right, it's not my forum. So I'm going to call totally dangerous misinformative bullshit what it is - totally dangerous misinformative bullshit.

Their entitlement to post is the same as mine, sure. Fine. And I am entitled to respond how I like (with a few obvious limits of course).
  • R0TW said:
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?

It is continuing to increase despite some so called experts saying will soon decline. 
    Global warming is the biggest threat to civilisation and the longer the earth's population continues to increase the greater the demand on the earth's resources. 
    I have no idea how to tackle this problem but things will only get worse as the population increases. 
    Sounds like governments need to tackle the problem by reducing emissions per person in any way they can, don't you agree? 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    On a wider note, sharing stuff like bexleyaddick has shared and saying "I'm not saying this but here's some balance" is so WILDLY dangerous and misinformative.

THIS IS NOT BALANCE.

This sort of "balance" is "ahh for balance, here's some sources saying the Moon landing was faked" and going straight into the flag fluttering nonsense. 

I have zero tolerance for this and even if the poster is trying to qualify it by saying "oh but I don't necessarily agree" - THEN DON'T SHARE IT!
    Fortunately it's not your forum so disagree by all means but another poster is equally entitled to do what you do, and post what they like (with a few obvious limits of course). And no, I don't agree with what they posted, or Mr Catt generally for that matter. 
    You're right, it's not my forum. So I'm going to call totally dangerous misinformative bullshit what it is - totally dangerous misinformative bullshit.

Their entitlement to post is the same as mine, sure. Fine. And I am entitled to respond how I like (with a few obvious limits of course).
    Absolutely, I would never suggest otherwise. But your post just screamed don't post it because "I have zero tolerance" for it which is unfair. No problem with you calling it out for being incorrect, my opinion on the content probably isn't too far from yours. 
  • R0TW said:
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?

Sounds like governments need to tackle the problem by reducing emissions per person in any way they can, don't you agree? 
    Possibly. 
    But for every extra million people on the planet the increase on resources such as food and water will increase. 
    Don't you agree. 
  • R0TW said:
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?

I do, let's gt and superglue ourselves to the Hornby factory gates. Show em what's what
  • Sponsored links:

• R0TW said:
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?

Anyway they can?
    If I were in charge I'd ration most things.
    Every household would get a certain amount of water, gas electricity a day.
    Food, petrol clothes would be also rationed.

• PaddyP17 said:

THIS IS NOT BALANCE.

As it also is when people with no qualifications saying man made climate change is undeniable.... why shouldn't I post articles that are relevant to the topic, are you suggesting that we should only post items that suit our own agenda?
    I'm sure we would all welcome renewables as our only source of power but it IS a fact that they currently cannot supply the level of energy needed to run our infrastructure and no level of investment can provide an iron clad guarantee that we will ever be able to harness enough from that source. And thats before we all have to convert to electric vehicles, so what will we do when all the oil and gas reserves have run out and we still don't have sufficient power from renewables? 
  • clb74 said:
    R0TW said:
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?

Anyway they can?
    If I were in charge I'd ration most things.
    Every household would get a certain amount of water, gas electricity a day.
    Food, petrol clothes would be also rationed.

How about starting small such as refusing to give out licenses to oil and banning Diesel cars? 
  • R0TW said:
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?

Possibly. 
    But for every extra million people on the planet the increase on resources such as food and water will increase. 
    Don't you agree. 
    Perhaps but currently governments are doing sweet f all, so you can't really blame the people when nothing is being done from the top. 
  • R0TW said:
    There are 8 billion now.
    Is there a trend here?

Possibly. 
    Don't you agree. 
    Perhaps but currently governments are doing sweet f all, so you can't really blame the people when nothing is being done from the top. 
    I agree. 
    So in the meantime the population continues to increase and the problem continues to get worse. 
  • If we don't have the energy levels needed to run our infrastructure, is it only because of a shortage of the energy needed?
    Could it be that the infrastructure we demand or expect or hope for is maybe too much?
    Less demand for energy is less shortages and less pollution.

• All hail the Boris Bikes
  • seth plum said:
    If we don't have the energy levels needed to run our infrastructure, is it only because of a shortage of the energy needed?
    Could it be that the infrastructure we demand or expect or hope for is maybe too much?
    Less demand for energy is less shortages and less pollution.

Totally agree, and I wish it could be so, but isn't it a bit of a too simplistic argument? Can you imagine the current generation going without their devices and social media (which in itself uses vast amounts of energy and water to maintain the huge servers needed to store all that data and keep them cool) etc.,? I sure can't.
  • And all hail the clear increase in vegan and vegetarian consumption judging by the way the shelves have changed in the shops in recent years.
    (Some of the offerings of the veggie/vegan 'manufacturers' are rank mind you).
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!