Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• Oh god. We’re going to have this lot down The Valley now aren’t we. 
  • The rich and powerful all over the world have their money and empires tied up with the petrochemical industry. Until these rich and powerful people are able to move their investments and empires away from what is definitively a dying industry they have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. It’s the status quo that’s going to kill millions. 
    I know they can be a bit repetitive but not sure they’re going to kill anyone 
    Confettigate:

A Statement From Just Stop Oil

The lady who threw confetti in Bruton yesterday was upholding a tradition that is common across many cultures. We absolutely defend the right for people to throw confetti (of whatever colour) at weddings and other celebrations. If it was a form of protest — which is yet to be established — we applaud it and thank the person concerned. It was peaceful and not especially disruptive, but got massive media attention for Just Stop Oil’s demand.

It has also helped people to recall that George Osborne, one of the main architects of economic austerity, is directly responsible for over 300,000 excess deaths, and that — as a newspaper editor — he was responsible for some of the most egregious climate-denying nonsense ever to darken the pages of mainstream mass media. However, as much as we applaud the use of orange confetti at this wedding, we were not responsible.

Perhaps the press could focus on something more important now? Like the current government’s plans to licence over 100 new oil and gas projects, which will result in excess deaths the likes of which we have never seen.

Or the fact that the UN Secretary General has said that ‘climate change is out of control’ as we’ve just seen the hottest average temperatures since records began. Or the fact that Canadian wildfires have now burned down an area the size of Portugal. We are in catastrophically dangerous territory and the press have a moral responsibility to inform and educate people as to the causes of the crisis so that we can take action to defend ourselves. In 2023, it is simply criminal not to check your facts.

The hyperbole in that statement is remarkable.

The last line makes me laugh. "...it is simply criminal not to check your facts." At the end of a statement that accuses the ex Chancellor of being directly responsible for 300,000 excess deaths.  

Over 330,000 excess deaths in Great Britain linked to austerity, finds study

Over 330,000 excess deaths in Great Britain linked to austerity, finds study | Austerity | The Guardian
    You talk the talk but do you walk the walk?
  • cafctom said:
    Oh god. We’re going to have this lot down The Valley now aren’t we. 
    Only if they are lucky enough to get hold of tickets.
  • Anyone on here been in touch with the club about doing a climate awareness game next season?
    Perhaps trying to get fans that live within a 10 mile radius to walk or cycle into a match.
    I doubt it
  • clb74 said:
    Anyone on here been in touch with the club about doing a climate awareness game next season?
    Perhaps trying to get fans that live within a 10 mile radius to walk or cycle into a match.
    I doubt it
    You had the fantastic idea, why don't you do it? 
  • clb74 said:
    Anyone on here been in touch with the club about doing a climate awareness game next season?
    I doubt it
    You had the fantastic idea, why don't you do it? 
    Why me?
    I think the world will end anyway.
  • edited July 2023
    cafctom said:
    Oh god. We’re going to have this lot down The Valley now aren’t we. 
    Well if our new owners come from oil rich Texas and rename us the Charlton Oilers, I think we can expect to attract their unwanted attention, but if the Valley ends up underwater, our bigger concern then will be finding somewhere else to play. 
  • So is the consensus vote that there should be a comma, 'just stop, oil protesters'; or a change in an approach to the protests? 
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    I doubt it
    It’s happened for the last two seasons - look out for Pledgeball. We’re fourth in the table.

https://pledgeball.org/
  • seth plum said:
    Sort out one million Green Party voters yet only one MP.

The system almost encourages direct action when the indirect action is stymied by forces that prioritise stuff that is marginal to the climate crisis.

I have quoted Samuel Beckett a couple of times in the past when he commented about protests ‘never has such rightness joined to such foolishness’.

However the great Irishman also said ‘Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.’
    UKIP had even more voters than that some years back yet had only two MPs if memory serves me right.
  • LenGlover said:
    Many Tory MPs are funded by right wing think tanks with links to the oil industry. They need to keep them sweet to keep the money flowing in. 

Groups like Just Stop Oil are funded by individuals and organisations with their own vested interests. The Labour Party is funded by the Trade Unions to a great extent.

Man made Climate Change and net zero ideology have become  political aims in their own right. Climate Change is happening but has happened throughout history. That's nature. Man has no influence over nature and weather although it suits business and academic interests to perpetuate the Myth that he does.
    Someone needs some education. 

There's always one with their head in the sand. 

• LenGlover said:
    Many Tory MPs are funded by right wing think tanks with links to the oil industry. They need to keep them sweet to keep the money flowing in. 

Groups like Just Stop Oil are funded by individuals and organisations with their own vested interests. The Labour Party is funded by the Trade Unions to a great extent.

Man made Climate Change and net zero ideology have become  political aims in their own right. Climate Change is happening but has happened throughout history. That's nature. Man has no influence over nature and weather although it suits business and academic interests to perpetuate the Myth that he does.
    Someone needs some education. 

There's always one with their head in the sand. 
    Who funds the Labour Party then?
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66120297 

We're all fucked anyway. Easier to piss about debating this on the internet and trying to deny the fact everything is going to go to shit, and attacking protestors, than to try and enact meaningful change even on a personal level, isn't it.

It's far easier to tap at a keyboard than it is to truly try and live as carbon-neutrally as possible. And it's far easier to tap at a keyboard than it is to try and enact political change through protest.

--------

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

- Dr Martin Luther King Jr, Letter from a Birmingham Jail

--------

Of course, the Civil Rights movement is very different to that of climate activists, but that which I have bolded seems like it applies here, too.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66120297 

We're all fucked anyway. Easier to piss about debating this on the internet and trying to deny the fact everything is going to go to shit, and attacking protestors, than to try and enact meaningful change even on a personal level, isn't it.

It's far easier to tap at a keyboard than it is to truly try and live as carbon-neutrally as possible. And it's far easier to tap at a keyboard than it is to try and enact political change through protest.

--------

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

- Dr Martin Luther King Jr, Letter from a Birmingham Jail

--------

Of course, the Civil Rights movement is very different to that of climate activists, but that which I have bolded seems like it applies here, too.
    Not into famous people quoting much...

...but that one is very well selected, Paddy
  • Was slightly surprised there was no disruptions at Silverstone yesterday, no big banners or anything like Greenpeace managed a couple of years ago at Spa and got the start delayed. 
  • We have a Government that is about to ditch its promises on Climate Change and issue new licences for oil and gas exploration, this mustn't happen and people are risking being put in prison by a Government that has removed the right to peaceful protest. We're becoming more like Russia every day. 

Breaking news...
    English tanks have just crossed the M4 Prince of Wales bridge and the M48 severn Bridge. 
    Michael Sheen has been elected leader and Tom Jones is heading back to the green, green grass of home.
  • iaitch said:
    That's not unusual.
    It happens every day in Russia.
  • clb74 said:
    I doubt it
    The average age of a Charlton supporter is 72. They will need to start walking now
  • JamesSeed said:
    We don’t protest nearly enough in this country, considering the mess we’re in. 

Sacre bleu !
    Should we be revolting like the French ?
    The French cut the Royal heads off and the British still in 2023 put a crown on their heads and genuflect. 
  • clb74 said:
    I doubt it
    The average age of a Charlton supporter is 72. They will need to start walking now
    That’s made me think. I wonder what the average age actually is (of say season ticket holders or any other measurable group) relative to other teams?

I assume we are struggling to attract the ‘next generation’ currently but how stark that is compared to other clubs I don’t know. 

Oh and it also made me think of Paul Hardcastle😉
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!