Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• "Elite operative" 😆 ffs
  • I like the car sharing idea for those far from adequate public transport.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Can I just say that if I was “disrupted” or “inconvenienced “ by JSO protests I’d be one of those that screamed loudest and I’d moan like feck. Does that make me a hypocrite ? Probably but I also like to think that overall I can ultimately see that these protests are not like other protests we get and we’ve seen. These protests are genuinely about the survival and continuing existence of the human race. Governments are paying lip service to the solutions and like all politicians they are only interested in financing that affects the next election. Kick it down the road which is what we see time and time again. Where are the initiatives for home insulation, domestic solar energy, upgrading our housing stock ? The government have delayed announcing its funding for green initiatives from April to now August and the rumours are it will get delayed again. Forget about projects like HS2 and practically anything else you can think of. The number 1,2 and three priorities should be energy considerations. These things are not optionally nice things to have. Going forward across the world they are essential if we don’t want to see climate catastrophe up to and including extinction. If you think our whole existence is not in jeopardy then you need to pay a little more attention. 
    So how does targeting a former Chancellor on his wedding day help the cause?
    It highlights that the policies he followed have led to the problems that we are all experiencing today. He chose oil and gas over renewables, the renewables that are now very much cheaper. We all have higher energy bills as a result and have continued with energy that creates the greenhouse gases that heat up the planet.

• Now, let’s go back to the question of what has changed since their narcissistic behaviour came about? 

The issue of climate change has been in the headlines and getting media exposure which is what JSO want. 
  • edited July 2023
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Can I just say that if I was “disrupted” or “inconvenienced “ by JSO protests I’d be one of those that screamed loudest and I’d moan like feck. Does that make me a hypocrite ? Probably but I also like to think that overall I can ultimately see that these protests are not like other protests we get and we’ve seen. These protests are genuinely about the survival and continuing existence of the human race. Governments are paying lip service to the solutions and like all politicians they are only interested in financing that affects the next election. Kick it down the road which is what we see time and time again. Where are the initiatives for home insulation, domestic solar energy, upgrading our housing stock ? The government have delayed announcing its funding for green initiatives from April to now August and the rumours are it will get delayed again. Forget about projects like HS2 and practically anything else you can think of. The number 1,2 and three priorities should be energy considerations. These things are not optionally nice things to have. Going forward across the world they are essential if we don’t want to see climate catastrophe up to and including extinction. If you think our whole existence is not in jeopardy then you need to pay a little more attention. 
    Because we’re talking about it. 
    We were talking about it before this flurry of narcissistic, performative JSO nonsense. What has changed? 
    How the feck is campaigning to save the world narcissistic?

Acting as if the law doesn’t apply to them is narcissistic.

Acting as though everybody else’s’ day should be disrupted in order to promote their beliefs is narcissistic. 

And yeah, using somebody’s wedding day to make a political point is really fucking narcissistic.

The whole “well, it’s only confetti - it’s nothing compared to where the world will be in years to come” simply doesn’t wash as an argument. I’m 100% in agreement with their concern for the planet, but all they are doing is using shock tactics to try and make themselves the main characters of a story when the protest effort could be focused more on educating.

Now, let’s go back to the question of what has changed since their narcissistic behaviour came about? 
    An inconvienent truth came out in 2006. The 'education' has been happening for 15 years and has it stopped the course of the planet? No. 

This is logically what comes next. 

"The planet registered its hottest day since records began for the third time in just four days this week, deepening fears about the far-reaching changes taking place in Earth’s system because of the climate emergency.

Unofficial data from U.S. researchers showed the planet’s daily average temperature soared to 17.23 degrees Celsius (63.01 degrees Fahrenheit) on Thursday, surpassing two previous heat records registered in recent days.

The extraordinary feat comes shortly after the European Union’s climate change service confirmed the planet observed its hottest June on record, with unprecedented sea surface temperatures and record low Antarctic sea ice."

Bit more education here. 

• FSLN1 said:
    Now, let’s go back to the question of what has changed since their narcissistic behaviour came about? 

The issue of climate change has been in the headlines and getting media exposure which is what JSO want. 
    Right. So nobody was talking about climate change before? 

What’s actually in the headlines are the debates around the way these weirdos conduct themselves, more than the actual topic they are trying to promote. 
  • seth plum said:
    I like the car sharing idea for those far from adequate public transport.
    Outside lane on the motorway for car sharing, non single person. They do this in some states on the US
  • cafctom said:
    FSLN1 said:

What’s actually in the headlines are the debates around the way these weirdos conduct themselves, more than the actual topic they are trying to promote. 
    Why do you think they're called Just Stop Oil? Have a think for a moment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    tps://www.desmog.com/2023/04/21/tufton-street-linked-donors-have-given-630000-to-the-conservatives-since-sunak-became-prime-minister/

Haven't had any comments on my post on his from last night. After reading it can anyone still say that organisations, many of which deny that Climate Change exists, are not having an influence on Government policy?

If you believe that climate change is caused by the actions of humans, and many of you who have opposed the actions of JSO have said that you do believe that, how can you not believe that these organisations and companies are funding the Tory party? They do so to achieve their own aims, ie to keep on polluting the planet.
    No comments yet.

I suspect that those who have continued to criticise JSO protesters haven't even bothered to read the article. Those that may read it haven't put forward any persuasive arguments against the claim that the Government's strings are being pulled by organisations who have a vested interest in continuing with fossil fuel production.
  • Right. So nobody was talking about climate change before? 

Sure they were - but as I mention a couple of hundred posts back we attend international conferences, we sign pledges, we promise to cut emissions and contribute to international funds. 

Then we open coal mines, issue licences for North Sea oil and gas fields, renege on international commitments, decide that because people don't like them we'll stop building onshore wind farms and solar farms. 

In other words our actions don't meet our words. 

So what do we do? Accept that politicians are afraid to offer leadership and ignore climate change because it means inconvenience or keep the pressure on? 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    It highlights that the policies he followed have led to the problems that we are all experiencing today. He chose oil and gas over renewables, the renewables that are now very much cheaper. We all have higher energy bills as a result and have continued with energy that creates the greenhouse gases that heat up the planet.

I understand targeting him but NOT on his wedding day. Can't you see that isn't acceptable.
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    We were talking about it before this flurry of narcissistic, performative JSO nonsense. What has changed? 

Acting as though everybody else’s’ day should be disrupted in order to promote their beliefs is narcissistic. 

And yeah, using somebody’s wedding day to make a political point is really fucking narcissistic.

The whole “well, it’s only confetti - it’s nothing compared to where the world will be in years to come” simply doesn’t wash as an argument. I’m 100% in agreement with their concern for the planet, but all they are doing is using shock tactics to try and make themselves the main characters of a story when the protest effort could be focused more on educating.

An inconvienent truth came out in 2006. The 'education' has been happening for 15 years and has it stopped the course of the planet? No. 

"The planet registered its hottest day since records began for the third time in just four days this week, deepening fears about the far-reaching changes taking place in Earth’s system because of the climate emergency.

Unofficial data from U.S. researchers showed the planet’s daily average temperature soared to 17.23 degrees Celsius (63.01 degrees Fahrenheit) on Thursday, surpassing two previous heat records registered in recent days.

The extraordinary feat comes shortly after the European Union’s climate change service confirmed the planet observed its hottest June on record, with unprecedented sea surface temperatures and record low Antarctic sea ice."

Bit more education here. 

I’m on board with the movement to protect the planet, and I’ve made steps of my own to try and contribute to that in my own way. 

My point is in relation to the conduct of JSO. Not their underlying message (which again, gets clouded by their narcissistic tendencies).
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

I’m on board with the movement to protect the planet, and I’ve made steps of my own to try and contribute to that in my own way. 

My point is in relation to the conduct of JSO. Not their underlying message (which again, gets clouded by their narcissistic tendencies).
    Whenever they're on television the words 'Just Stop Oil' are said. Job done. 

An easy rallying cry, Just Stop Oil and they'll stop. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:

I understand targeting him but NOT on his wedding day. Can't you see that isn't acceptable.
    He is a legitimate target on his wedding day, as it has given more publicity than if they were to sit outside his house. Nobody was hurt, yet more people are now aware of his role in the problems we face today.

I wish that those who are angry about a bit of orange confetti would direct that anger at a Government that wants to reduce our net zero targets, and open up new oil, coal and gas fields that will have no effect on energy security for the UK
  • edited July 2023
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Exactly. Nothing meaningful has happened since the realisation 25 years ago that the climate was changing and mankind was at least in part responsible. The last and inconceivably the next POTUS denies climate change altogether. Two coal fired power stations PER WEEK are going online in China. Plenty of climate summits and talking shops but none of what’s gone previously has altered the climate trajectory. Technology is moving in the right direction but it’s way too slow and in this situation too slow is the same thing as not at all. Once the balance tips which is going to be soon it’s game over. Famine, continents on fire, mass migrations, floods and catastrophe. That might be a good outcome.  Countless millions dead and huge parts of the planet rendered uninhabitable. That’s the long and the short of it. I’ve said it all along that it’s  going to take a climate catastrophe that kills hundreds of thousands of people in a first world setting before anything changes. Regrettably that level of wake up call will be beyond the point of no return. 
  • I would love away fans at Forest Green to disrupt games next season. If they dress in Stop Oil t-shirts and use orange paint powder, will Dale Vince pay their fines?
  • FSLN1 said:

Sure they were - but as I mention a couple of hundred posts back we attend international conferences, we sign pledges, we promise to cut emissions and contribute to international funds. 

Then we open coal mines, issue licences for North Sea oil and gas fields, renege on international commitments, decide that because people don't like them we'll stop building onshore wind farms and solar farms. 

In other words our actions don't meet our words. 

So what do we do? Accept that politicians are afraid to offer leadership and ignore climate change because it means inconvenience or keep the pressure on? 
    Protest
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    cfgs said:
    I would love away fans at Forest Green to disrupt games next season. If they dress in Stop Oil t-shirts and use orange powder, will Dale Vince pay their fines?
    Ain't the white stuff vegan then?
  • JohnnyH2 said:

He is a legitimate target on his wedding day, as it has given more publicity than if they were to sit outside his house. Nobody was hurt, yet more people are now aware of his role in the problems we face today.

I wish that those who are angry about a bit of orange confetti would direct that anger at a Government that wants to reduce our net zero targets, and open up new oil, coal and gas fields that will have no effect on energy security for the UK
    People are capable of being opposed to both. Have you ever stopped to think that if the overwhelming feeling towards JSO protestors is a negative one (which it is), then just maybe there’s a better way of getting support? 

There will be a lot of people out there who are not yet on board with changing their activities to be more green. They are there to be educated, not alienated.

People often wonder how comes the far left couldn’t get Corbyn into power, how the Brexit vote happened, and now how some people don’t share the same extreme anger regarding climate change. 

It’s not just “the right wing press”. It’s often the people on the far left going out their way to alienate people, who in turn don’t feel comfortable siding with them. Until that realisation kicks in, there will always be a struggle to make these movements have the impact they could have. 
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

Can you suggest a better way than the course of action they are taking?

Education is key, but it's difficult to educate the public about what is happening when we have so many media organisations with a vested interest in carrying on with actions that damage the planet. I hope that by posting a few links on here about what is really happening, there may be a few more that realise why these protests are needed.

A few years ago I would probably have been amongst those on here who criticise JSO protests. I've been a Tory voter all my life and also voted to leave the EU, I was also a Daily Mail reader influenced by their lies. My views started to change when the Government made so many bad decisions during the pandemic and it became clear that lying by Government Ministers and Tory MPs, lead by a now disgraced Prime Minister, was endemic. I then questioned myself why I previously held the views I did and I started to look out at alternative sources of news. 
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Bit more education here. 

Is a narcissist someone who feels compelled to do something out of desperation, which is the impression  I get whenever I see the people they put up on the media. I'm not sure that they believe the law doesn't apply to them either. They know civil disobedience has consequences and are prepared to suffer them.

Those Dartford crossing protesters got three years and several of those blockading Kingsbury oil terminal served time too. They know the risks, but break the law anyway, even though for many, they've never been in trouble before and that's not something they want. 
  • cafctom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

People are capable of being opposed to both. Have you ever stopped to think that if the overwhelming feeling towards JSO protestors is a negative one (which it is), then just maybe there’s a better way of getting support? 

There will be a lot of people out there who are not yet on board with changing their activities to be more green. They are there to be educated, not alienated.

People often wonder how comes the far left couldn’t get Corbyn into power, how the Brexit vote happened, and now how some people don’t share the same extreme anger regarding climate change. 

It’s not just “the right wing press”. It’s often the people on the far left going out their way to alienate people, who in turn don’t feel comfortable siding with them. Until that realisation kicks in, there will always be a struggle to make these movements have the impact they could have. 
    In 2023 if you aren't making changes to activities to be more green, you should probably be forced to by a central government. 

Protests are all part of the pressure on companies and governments, that's where the change will be made. Not with the public. 
  • How far do we go with saving the planet?
    Was sitting on the toilet earlier and thought to myself do we really need toilet paper?
    I could wipe my arse with me left hand and then wash them.
  • edited July 2023
     were to sit outside his house. Nobody was hurt, yet more people are now aware of his role in the problems we face today.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!