Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• swordfish said:
    It is estimated that there are 7 years worth of available oil and gas reserves available without further exploration. If the investment was put into renewables, especially onshore wind which is relatively cheap, but resisted in the planning process, then the issue of continued energy security wouldn't pose a problem.

The Labour party are convinced by that arguement and don't see the need to keep pumping money into oil, gas, and coal having vowed no fresh investment in them, consistent with what JSO are campaigning for.

So obvious, right?
  • edited July 2023
    swordfish said:
    It is estimated that there are 7 years worth of available oil and gas reserves available without further exploration. If the investment was put into renewables, especially onshore wind which is relatively cheap, but resisted in the planning process, then the issue of continued energy security wouldn't pose a problem.

The Labour party are convinced by that arguement and don't see the need to keep pumping money into oil, gas, and coal having vowed no fresh investment in them, consistent with what JSO are campaigning for.

So obvious, right?
    What's obvious to me is that continuing to exploit fossil fuel reserves is bad for the climate and will result in temperatures rising further, so we need to stop.

I recommend that anyone who still has doubts about that, or doesn't fully  appreciate the gravity of the situation, watch, "An Inconvenient Truth," and then read the IPCC 2023 Climate Change: Synthesis Report, and keep watching the news as more and more climate related event  catastrophes get reported.

That should give the the viewer/reader a greater understanding of why JSO are making such a nuisance of themselves and why failure to tackle the issue whilst there is still time is not an option.
  • swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

So obvious, right?
    What's obvious to me is that continuing to exploit fossil fuel reserves is bad for the climate and will result in temperatures rising further, so we need to stop.

I recommend that anyone who still has doubts about that, or doesn't fully  appreciate the gravity of the situation, watch, "An Inconvenient Truth," and then read the IPCC 2023 Climate Change: Synthesis Report, and keep watching the news as more and more climate related event  catastrophes get reported.

That should give the the viewer/reader a greater understanding of why JSO are making such a nuisance of themselves and why failure to tackle the issue whilst there is still time is not an option.
    Yep. With you 100%
    I wasn't being sarcastic.
  • I don't know if this point has been made already but if they're so interested in getting their message across how come they didn't stage a protest at Glastonbury? Diesel generators, tens of thousands of plastic bottles discarded, tents (mostly made from Nylon) left abandoned by the 100's, 'stars' flying in to make brief appearances and a global TV audience laid on...... seems like the perfect event to protest at, yet nothing heard from JSO. I wonder why?  Hypocrites.
    This might help you with your comment:

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/green-glastonbury/our-green-policies/energy-policy/
  • Rachel Reeves (Shadow Chancellor) on Sophy Ridge this morning just said she has no time for JSO. 

So to be back on track you can appreciate the message / need without the style of protests. 
  • swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

So obvious, right?

Yep. With you 100%
    I wasn't being sarcastic.
    Sorry. Having read your other contributions, I should have realised it wasn't meant sarcastically 🙄
  • In 100 years from now people will be looking back at this point in time and cursing those that prefer to demonise and disregard the message that climate protestors are trying to get across. By then it will all be immaterial and we’ll all be fucked by hey ho, how dare they hold up the tennis. 
    None of us will be here though
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    SamB09 said:
    In 100 years from now people will be looking back at this point in time and cursing those that prefer to demonise and disregard the message that climate protestors are trying to get across. By then it will all be immaterial and we’ll all be fucked by hey ho, how dare they hold up the tennis. 
    That's alright then, sod the future kids eh... 
  • If it had been normal confetti, would that have been okay? It was orange with no harm done, but has again highlighted that the Government's plan for new oil exploration licences is crazy. 

If George Osborne had promoted green energy sources instead of more oil and gas, we would be in a much better position now. The article linked to that tweet shows just how short sighted that decision has proved to be.
    Let me know when it’s one of your families wedding and I’ll come and throw a bucket of oil over them. I trust that won’t spoil your day.
    Ridiculous comparison, nobody hurt by confetti (as long as it is bio-degradable).
    that's not the point though is it. It was THEIR big day and some uninvited random decided to attempt to ruin it. Confetti, oil, bricks, whatever it my have been it was totally unwarranted. If you want to throw something over him, not that I'd advocate such actions, then why not outside the Houses of Parliment. Scum, the lot of them.
    They know if they done it outside the Houses of Parliament they would be had up on some very serious charges such as terrorism or even shot by the armed police who are there to protect and stop that sort of thing. 
  • And why target George Osborne anyway? 

He has not been in office since 2016 or even an MP since 2017. 

• CharltonKerry said:
    If it had been normal confetti, would that have been okay? It was orange with no harm done, but has again highlighted that the Government's plan for new oil exploration licences is crazy. 

If George Osborne had promoted green energy sources instead of more oil and gas, we would be in a much better position now. The article linked to that tweet shows just how short sighted that decision has proved to be.
    Let me know when it’s one of your families wedding and I’ll come and throw a bucket of oil over them. I trust that won’t spoil your day.
    Ridiculous comparison, nobody hurt by confetti (as long as it is bio-degradable).
    that's not the point though is it. It was THEIR big day and some uninvited random decided to attempt to ruin it. Confetti, oil, bricks, whatever it my have been it was totally unwarranted. If you want to throw something over him, not that I'd advocate such actions, then why not outside the Houses of Parliment. Scum, the lot of them.
    They know if they done it outside the Houses of Parliament they would be had up on some very serious charges such as terrorism or even shot by the armed police who are there to protect and stop that sort of thing. 
    we live in hope
  • If it had been normal confetti, would that have been okay? It was orange with no harm done, but has again highlighted that the Government's plan for new oil exploration licences is crazy. 

Get shot? There protests up there all the time
  • Sponsored links:

• Sort out one million Green Party voters yet only one MP.

The system almost encourages direct action when the indirect action is stymied by forces that prioritise stuff that is marginal to the climate crisis.

I have quoted Samuel Beckett a couple of times in the past when he commented about protests ‘never has such rightness joined to such foolishness’.

However the great Irishman also said ‘Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.’
  • Got no problem with direct action, as long as its directed in yhe right place
  • MrOneLung said:
    And why target George Osborne anyway? 

Gideon was one of the architects of austerity which, as has already been seen in the covid enquiry, seriously damaged the UK’s preparedness for a global pandemic.
  • MrOneLung said:

Gideon was one of the architects of austerity which, as has already been seen in the covid enquiry, seriously damaged the UK’s preparedness for a global pandemic.
    Do you think that by calling him Gideon, makes him sound more like a toff and enhances your working class argument?
  • SamB09 said:
    In 100 years from now people will be looking back at this point in time and cursing those that prefer to demonise and disregard the message that climate protestors are trying to get across. By then it will all be immaterial and we’ll all be fucked by hey ho, how dare they hold up the tennis. 
    That’s ok then. Phew. 
  • Gribbo said:
    MrOneLung said:

Do you think that by calling him Gideon, makes him sound more like a toff and enhances your working class argument?
    Well it is his name.
  • edited July 2023
    Gribbo said:
    MrOneLung said:

It's also his birth name. 
  • MrOneLung said:

What's that got to do with oil?
  • Gribbo said:
    Got no problem with direct action, as long as its directed in yhe right place
    I.e. away from where anyone can see it. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!