Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Kirk again

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Kirk must be very aware that the club and fans wanted shot of him and also be aware that there were no takers. As a professional footballer that surely has to be a wake up call. No club as far as we can tell in four divisions wants him. Staying as it is will mean his next contract will be for a lot less than previous ones. I’m hoping that it’s the right royal kick up the arse he needs. I do think there is a player in there and for his own sake and ours he needs to show some application and turn his game around. 
    To come from such a famous family and all, grandad's a starship captain...

This one is hard to get your head around though.  I know we are ALWAYS desperate around windows, but the "back slapping" when we got him and the reports of his usefulness at the other CAFC, he seemed a great prospect for us.

I will not play down the bereavement side, as my dad will of been gone 2yrs next month, it still stops you in your tracks, but the move down south bollocks? These are professional sportsman FFS!

Maybe the general chaos at this basket case of a club, the constant changes. I don't watch the games though, does his attitude "stink" that much?

Is he our worst case of Charltonisation EVER?

Is he just shit?

Hmmmm, baffling.

• I don't think Kirk fits with the type of player this club usually gets and needs.  However there is no excuse of fans abusing a player either on social media (more mug the player if you go on it.) or booing our own players. All that does is further erode their confidence and makes matters worse.

The fact is, he is our player till January at least and should be treated with respect by the club as well as fans. We can be critical of his performance as we would any player on CL but that is different than booing or yelling abuse at the lad on the pitch. 

It should come down to the new manager if he wants to play Kirk or even try to coach him in to a role different to intended when bought.

Personally I think he is lacking as a player although does have some skills but needs to add more to his game to succeed.  Whether that be here or somewhere else.

If his attitude is and has been wrong as mentioned by @Sage , its time to change for his own careers sake.
  • Can’t say I heard the booing and disappointing if there was. 

Also don’t get the booing of stockley who I don’t think deserved it. Never slagged the club off anything, it just did not work out and we moved him on. 
    If people heard it then it happened, but I didn't hear/notice either being booed so it's not worthy of discussion.
  • First touch he brought down a tricky ball and stuck a good ball in that could easily have been stuck away. He's a decent footballer and we haven't seen the best of him. If he's such a bad egg why did Pearce pick him today?
    That was a lovely cross which could easily have led to a goal. He must be desperate to make an impression, otherwise his whole career could go down the tubes. I don’t get the Shirk nickname at all. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    First touch he brought down a tricky ball and stuck a good ball in that could easily have been stuck away. He's a decent footballer and we haven't seen the best of him. If he's such a bad egg why did Pearce pick him today?
    That was a lovely cross which could easily have led to a goal. He must be desperate to make an impression, otherwise his whole career could go down the tubes. I don’t get the Shirk nickname at all. 
    That comes from the stepping out of tackles and stropping when the game isn't played exclusively through him. 
  • He was booed coming on?

My word, our fan base is toxic.
    Personally it wasn’t that loud to notice where I was sat. So the outcry is probably over the top if they were even going him and not the decision to take off our £1.5-2 million winger
  • Just met one of the Charlton fans I know by sight and to chat to at Westcombe Park train station. Said he'd been at a recent u23 game (or possibly u21) and Kirk had been playing and had done next to nothing all game.

If he wants to play he's got to stop complaining about not being picked and show everyone why he should be. Knuckle down mate. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sometimes our fans really are idiots. I completely get why you'd boo Lyle Taylor, Defoe or Parker but booing Stockley is just ridiculous. I mean wtf did he ever do to deserve being booed? He played through injury for weeks/months to help the team and eventually things didn't work out for him. He was our top scorer in all comps a couple of years ago. 

As for Kirk, that is even worse. What do you expect the reaction/morale to be of a player if he's booed ONTO the pitch by his own fans?!
  • What best sums it up for me is when we beat Leeds 2-1 years ago when Jonathan Obika scored in stoppage time, ex-Millwall striker Steve Morison comes on to no boos from the Charlton end, while Luke Varney who wasn't the best but still scored a couple against the pricks from Surrey got a load of boos, just why?
  • Sage said:
    Should never have been booed, it’s ridiculous and we got some right idiot fans. Same as Stockley. Never boo a current player, even if you don’t like them, and never boo a player who just left because he wasn’t part of us going forward anymore. Weird behaviour.

As I’ve said, Kirk may have improved since and credit if he has, think we need to put this all to bed though because he is here until January at least. The past is the past. He didn’t leave because no one wanted to take him, so whilst he is, I hope to see a significant improvement if/when he plays.

5 minutes yesterday where he put in a good ball for May is not something to judge on, it was a good ball but we shouldn’t over analyse that either, especially with what we’ve seen over the last 2 seasons.

Overall, I don’t mean to sound rude or harsh, I think he could really do with just a fresh start. Shame for all parties that it didn’t happen, but he might not have to wait too much longer for it.
    For me it was perhaps one of the best crosses I've seen from him since he joined us - Unfortunately / Frustratingly like you say, its taken two seasons for us to see that (I know he's got a few assists), and there is no guarantee we'll see him do it again.
  • Sage said:
    Should never have been booed, it’s ridiculous and we got some right idiot fans. Same as Stockley. Never boo a current player, even if you don’t like them, and never boo a player who just left because he wasn’t part of us going forward anymore. Weird behaviour.

As I’ve said, Kirk may have improved since and credit if he has, think we need to put this all to bed though because he is here until January at least. The past is the past. He didn’t leave because no one wanted to take him, so whilst he is, I hope to see a significant improvement if/when he plays.

5 minutes yesterday where he put in a good ball for May is not something to judge on, it was a good ball but we shouldn’t over analyse that either, especially with what we’ve seen over the last 2 seasons.

Overall, I don’t mean to sound rude or harsh, I think he could really do with just a fresh start. Shame for all parties that it didn’t happen, but he might not have to wait too much longer for it.
    For me it was perhaps one of the best crosses I've seen from him since he joined us - Unfortunately / Frustratingly like you say, its taken two seasons for us to see that (I know he's got a few assists), and there is no guarantee we'll see him do it again.
    He’s the sort of player who will always get a few goals and assists if he gets the minutes, but the issues are with the rest of his game. He makes players like CBT look reliable defensively. He needs others to make up for his lack of energy but he’s never been good enough when attacking to justify that.
  • Would definitely be starting him tomorrow night but not sure what kind of shape JP will go for because I'd expect Tedic and Leaburn to start. 
  • Scoham said:
    Sage said:

He’s the sort of player who will always get a few goals and assists if he gets the minutes, but the issues are with the rest of his game. He makes players like CBT look reliable defensively. He needs others to make up for his lack of energy but he’s never been good enough when attacking to justify that.
    In situations like this, i feel the coaching staff should be talking with the player and asking him where/why he thinks it isn't working. They may have done that, it may be a lost cause, who knows?

It worked for him at Crewe, so how were they playing him and what was he doing there that made him a stand out player?

Admittedly this situation isn't unique. Look at Sancho at Dortmund, he was incredible. At United he looks about as useful as...........Charlie Kirk.
  • Just met one of the Charlton fans I know by sight and to chat to at Westcombe Park train station. Said he'd been at a recent u23 game (or possibly u21) and Kirk had been playing and had done next to nothing all game.

If he wants to play he's got to stop complaining about not being picked and show everyone why he should be. Knuckle down mate. 

I may well have missed it but I don’t remember him complaining about not being picked.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Would definitely be starting him tomorrow night but not sure what kind of shape JP will go for because I'd expect Tedic and Leaburn to start. 
    has to start tomorrow, who cares about this comp - we need to get minutes into those that need them
  • Saturdays booing when Kirk was subbed on was the last straw for me. In my book, this amounts to bullying and needs calling out. If you boo a Charlton player coming on and I see you doing it, I'll be calling you out.

Why are you even at the game? Don't you want Charlton to win? Do you think booing a 25 year old lad is going to help with that?

Wouldn't blame Kirk if his patience suddenly snaps and gives the booers the finger if it happens again. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Would definitely be starting him tomorrow night but not sure what kind of shape JP will go for because I'd expect Tedic and Leaburn to start. 
    has to start tomorrow, who cares about this comp - we need to get minutes into those that need them

Yeah I'd expect the available deadline day signings to start and the likes of Kirk and Taylor that really need a 90. Probably a very young bench of U21s. 
  • Sponsored links:

• 11 Charlie Kirk’s please for tomorrows game 
  • 11 Charlie Kirk’s please for tomorrows game 
    Sing it with me.............Number one is Charlie Kirk, Number two-oooo is Charlie Kirk....
  • Saturdays booing when Kirk was subbed on was the last straw for me. In my book, this amounts to bullying and needs calling out. If you boo a Charlton player coming on and I see you doing it, I'll be calling you out.

Why are you even at the game? Don't you want Charlton to win? Do you think booing a 25 year old lad is going to help with that?

Wouldn't blame Kirk if his patience suddenly snaps and gives the booers the finger if it happens again. 
    Was it Kinsella who showed the crowd the finger 
    in his early games with us?
  • For Crawley, with thanks to the squad update list (dunno about latest fitness stuff) I would have .

AMB

Watson Ness Abankwah (if not on international duty)/Jones Thomas

Watson Taylor Camara

Tyreece Campbell. Kirk

Kanu or Leaburn.

• edited September 2023
    Thomas on international duty 
  • ross1 said:
    and Abankwah
  • ross1 said:
    Saturdays booing when Kirk was subbed on was the last straw for me. In my book, this amounts to bullying and needs calling out. If you boo a Charlton player coming on and I see you doing it, I'll be calling you out.

Was it Kinsella who showed the crowd the finger 
    in his early games with us?
    Aizlewood gave the crowd the 2 finger salute early on - signed as a left back where he has poor but moved into midfield became captain and our pound shop Hoddle with his cross field passing  :)
  • Got lovely technique and great vision hasn't he. Thought it took a lot of composure to take that touch and make that chance considering he was getting booed.

Will nobody wanting him be a wake up call or does he not care? I guess we will see. 
  • ross1 said:
    Ok.
    Have to be Edun.
  • seth plum said:
    For Crawley, with thanks to the squad update list (dunno about latest fitness stuff) I would have .

AMB

Watson Ness Abankwah (if not on international duty)/Jones Thomas

Watson Taylor Camara

Tyreece Campbell. Kirk

Kanu or Leaburn.

AMB, Abankwah, Thomas all on International duty