Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Kirk again

Comments

• IMO to achieve promotion we need a squad with sufficient depth that we have a couple of game changers on the bench who can either maintain/increase the tempo as the starters begin to tire (as Camara did on Saturday), or alternatively help us come back when we are a goal behind (e.g. Chuks for the handful of games he might be available during a season).

McGrandles, Payne, DJ and Kirk just feel like squad players who might do a job for you and perhaps help see out a game, but they are unlikely to do something special. It felt like Ipswich had so many good options off the bench last year. I'm not particularly anti-Kirk, so not overly critical of his cameo on Saturday, he just doesn't show enough quality for me, either when he starts or comes off the bench. The same goes for DJ. Payne always looks like he tries to put a shift in and therefore I think worth keeping.
    Indeed - Freddie Ladapo played in every match for Ipswich last season - he scored 9 goals from 23 starts and another 8 times on the 23 occasions he came on as sub. If we had three Ladapos we wouldn't go too far wrong - every three games rotation with two to start and the other to be the sub. That is utopia though given the issues trying to recruit the right forwards and keeping them fit. We'd almost have it if we could guarantee that May, Leaburn and Aneke could stay fit and in the case of Aneke he could start too.    
  • anybody still prepared to find a single word of justification for the shirk to be receiving a salary from CAFC after last night?
    anybody..?
  • I think people underestimate the size of the squad we will need for a full season promotion push. Not every one of the players used will be top of league 1 quality but they have to fill a gap.

Think back to 2019 promotion. The number of players with significant numbers of appearances but often forgotten/ not considered a central part of the squad or even good enough.

Marshall 29 appearances
    Fosu 30
    Reeves 32
    Igor 23
    Ward 11
    Morgan 16
    Ajose 16
    Lapslie 32
    Reeco H-F 12

These players were not first choice or even first reserve in a lot of cases. But all played a role over the season. We will need that. Kirk could do similar for us. 
    I’d rather have any of those players than a Charlie Kirk. 
  • Billy_Mix said:
    anybody still prepared to find a single word of justification for the shirk to be receiving a salary from CAFC after last night?
    anybody..?
    I will once he comes on and passes the ball backwards 4 times when we're 3-0 down on saturday 
  • I think people underestimate the size of the squad we will need for a full season promotion push. Not every one of the players used will be top of league 1 quality but they have to fill a gap.

Think back to 2019 promotion. The number of players with significant numbers of appearances but often forgotten/ not considered a central part of the squad or even good enough.

Marshall 29 appearances
    Fosu 30
    Reeves 32
    Igor 23
    Ward 11
    Morgan 16
    Ajose 16
    Lapslie 32
    Reeco H-F 12

These players were not first choice or even first reserve in a lot of cases. But all played a role over the season. We will need that. Kirk could do similar for us. 
    Good perspective and I actually didn't remember Marshall, Lapslie and Reeves making that many appearances, remember them being a bit more sporadic than that 

Jamie Ward definitely falls into the category of players you forgot played for Charlton! Blimey

Remember him being really good for Derby but uninspiring for us. 
  • Billy_Mix said:
    anybody still prepared to find a single word of justification for the shirk to be receiving a salary from CAFC after last night?
    anybody..?
    I've got 3.

He's under contract.
    Now look,  we all get that you’ve only  retreated here because The Lion Rants had to be taken off-line after the Reading debacle, but this thread is  our very private family burden. The Crossrail thread could do with a bump 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised if there’s any takers for him. 
    He’s been hiding in games and his stats are appalling. 
  • He's here until January now... Hope he knuckles down and concentrates at trying to win himself a spot in the team

Would rather that be the case, than him being frozen out, forced to train with the U21s etc. don't need someone like that around the Training Ground.
  • He's here until January now... Hope he knuckles down and concentrates at trying to win himself a spot in the team

Would rather that be the case, than him being frozen out, forced to train with the U21s etc. don't need someone like that around the Training Ground.
    Is there anything in his past to suggest that he would be disruptive or that would cause him to be "frozen out"?, or that he has the ability to be "someone like that"?
  • There were those 'Bomb Squad' whisperings.

But I agree, it's time for him to show a new manager what he can do, with Fraser injured there are definitely attacking midfield or number 10 vacancies and even if it's as a sub Kirk can certainly make a claim for the matchday squad

Is there anything in his past to suggest that he would be disruptive or that would cause him to be "frozen out"?, or that he has the ability to be "someone like that"?
    Yes

Was seen as a bad influence last season.

@Sage
  • edited September 2023
    I'm amazed that Charlie Kirk's agent couldn't at least get him a loan move to Crewe with Charlton paying most of his wages as it's reached a sorry state of affairs.
    Charlie's languid(do you mean lightweight)  style doesn't endear him to Charlton critics !

Kirk and Chuk's long contracts were terrible football decisions and despite football not being an exact science you need to get more right than wrong and whether that was Martin Sandgaard, Steve Gallen or Doris the Tea lady decision they were shockers.

With Aneke I would've had no problem with a one year big contract with a year's option if he was fit for enough matches in the 1st year to reach enough apps in the 18. He hardly played and would've been released after 12 months.

Hopefully Andy Scott will make better judgements calls.
  • Perhaps the new manager will rate him and play him from the start 🤔
  • I'm amazed that Charlie Kirk's agent couldn't at least get him a loan move to Crewe with Charlton paying most of his wages as it's reached a sorry state of affairs.
    Charlie's languid(do you mean lightweight)  style doesn't endear him to Charlton critics !

Kirk and Chuk's long contracts were terrible football decisions and despite football not being an exact science you need to get more right than wrong and whether that was Martin Sandgaard, Steve Gallen or Doris the Tea lady decision they were shockers.

With Aneke I would've had no problem with a one year big contract with a year's option if he was fit for enough matches in the 1st year to reach enough apps in the 18. He hardly played and would've been released after 12 months.

Hopefully Andy Scott will make better judgements calls.
    Was it for Kirk...? - He was a promising Youngster who'd shown a lot of promise with Crewe prior to joining us.

By right had he carried on that form, we'd have had him tied down for a good period of time, and could have demanded a decent fee if we started getting interested parties further down the Contract.

Perhaps losing his Dad was the reason for his form diving off a cliff - Or he's just not suited our style, no one could know that.

Aneke on the other hand, we knew about his injury record - It was a big flashing neon sign above his head. Although perhaps that all happened, because the biggest complaint from the summer before on here, was the fact we didn't replace him... So Sandgaard stupidly read the signals wrongly and just went and got him back.
  • edited September 2023
    Maybe, just maybe, because we never played him with an overlapping left back.
  • alangee said:
    Maybe, just maybe, we never played him with an overlapping left back.
    Wonder if that's now an option with Edun here

Although equally feels like Kirk is so far gone from the player he was at Crewe, even that wouldn't make a difference now.
  • Sponsored links:

• alangee said:
    Maybe, just maybe, we never played him with an overlapping left back.
    Wonder if that's now an option with Edun here

Although equally feels like Kirk is so far gone from the player he was at Crewe, even that wouldn't make a difference now.
    I'm sure when we signed him some Crewe fans felt he wasn't one to bank on if things we're not going well. Inconsistent and moody, but great on his day. He joined us at a bad time for him personally and has had few good days in a Charlton shirt.

Was hoping Scotty could have fixed the transporter and beamed him off to some Northern outpost where he might have felt more at home and welcome. I'd be amazed if we ever get the best out of him, but a new manager might bring renewed hope.
  • He’s crap. I wish he wasn’t, but he is. A complete and utter waste of money that we’re stuck with. 

The fact nobody wanted him speaks volumes. I’d rather us give Rylah a chance off the bench than watch Charlie Kirk stand on the left wing and pass backwards
    Absolutely this.
  • Sage said:
    An overlapping full back is not going to change the fact he’s useless and he is a pretender who shies away from anything. Watch him
    train, watch his attitude. He might have improved a little in that respect but he’s still a clown and is not what we need, at all.

The club wanted rid, just as we did in January. He done nothing of note at Burton and there was no one to take him this summer, despite our best efforts.

I won’t go into the details on here but he was previously a bad influence, especially regarding Morgan. Blackpool dodged a bullet not signing him.

It says all you need to know that we are stuck with a player we don’t want, because no one else does either.
    Doesn’t sound good at all and I bow to your knowledge on this. What a shame, I was so excited when we signed him. 
  • I know he's had a lot going on personally, so fair enough I'm not going to slate him as much as I could - but he looks absolutely devoid of ideas, ability, motivation, legs, talent. I for one cannot wait to see the back of him. If ever a player summed us up as a club right now it's him. 
  • I know he's had a lot going on personally, so fair enough I'm not going to slate him as much as I could - but he looks absolutely devoid of ideas, ability, motivation, legs, talent. I for one cannot wait to see the back of him. If ever a player summed us up as a club right now it's him. 
    Thanks Mrs Kirk
    Thanks Mrs Kirk