Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Kirk again

Comments

• He is not good enough and has proven it now in several stints. Every time he appears on the team sheet, it's a reminder that we are not good enough to get out of League One. 
  • Just looks like a player with absolutely no confidence. I'd expect he starts tomorrow as Holden will rotate things and will be interesting if he's played through the middle with probably Kanu or wide in a 433 with Edun behind him.

Still think he goes before the end of the window but a signing I don't really understand how it went so wrong. 
  • Someone must have banged the drum for Kirk and persuaded TS to pony up that ridiculous transfer fee and contract. Have they ever been informally identified on here?
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    I want to see a team and bench that Kirk isn't good enough for, please.
    We already have a squad he's nowhere nearly good enough to be close to.
    We ain't Jack Payne's biggest fans but sympathise with him that the shirk was seen as a better bet for the last 15 on Saturday 
  • Someone must have banged the drum for Kirk and persuaded TS to pony up that ridiculous transfer fee and contract. Have they ever been informally identified on here?
    Well it pre dated the black box.
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Redhenry said:
    We ain't Jack Payne's biggest fans but sympathise with him that the shirk was seen as a better bet for the last 15 on Saturday 
    Who was the alternative on Saturday? DJ? Someone still in nappies?

I think that is @Redhenry point.  Pony as he is he is still on the bench due to us not having anyone else available.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Redhenry said:

I think that is @Redhenry point.  Pony as he is he is still on the bench due to us not having anyone else available.
    I'd rather Kanu was there than Kirk. He's not ready but he'll put effort in and it's more experience. 
  • Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Redhenry said:

I'd rather Kanu was there than Kirk. He's not ready but he'll put effort in and it's more experience. 
    And you also risk damaging his development if he isn't ready.  His long term development should be more important at this stage.
  • edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Redhenry said:

And you also risk damaging his development if he isn't ready.  His long term development should be more important at this stage.
    I don't think cameo appearances are likely to damage his development given he's been involved a fair amount already. More likely if a youngster is overplayed. 
  • One phrase to describe Kirk it seems… damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.
  • I am either lucky or not, but I have not seen enough of Kirk to make a decision of his ability, but reading this thread I need not bother, he is useless according to most, except Callumcafc. Can he really be that bad, can DH really see something that most on here do not?
  • Sponsored links:

Yeah, it was Albie Morgan!
  • edited August 2023
    Just to add, he's a player who for me has had a bit of bad luck, and hasn't really shown enough in my opinion to make me think he'd be part of a promotion winning squad, but some of the reactions on here to saturday are just hysterical. He didn't do a great deal, but he did little wrong. Shepharding the ball out was nicely done, his chance on the edge of the box was never a chance as the defender put the ball away from him and the 75 yard opportunity...? Well, if he'd given it a go and the ball hadn't reached their area, imagine the reaction on here. No, he's not the player we hoped we'd signed, and it's probably better to part ways here, but some of the mistakes he is deemed to make are basically imaginary.
  • Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Redhenry said:

I don't think cameo appearances are likely to damage his development given he's been involved a fair amount already. More likely if a youngster is overplayed. 
    I think if he was ready we would have seen more of him already.  It's one we have to trust the club on.  I do wonder if there is someone in the u21s that is ready but just isn't as high potential as Kanu that would be less of a long term risk than him?
  • Just to jump on the (band)wagon.
    Best to depart the train spotter's and alight at his previous destination with The Railwaymen.
    Alterative destinations on his journey Swindon or Doncaster, alas Darlington no longer an option.
  • He keeps getting further and further away from goal. Last page it was 70 yards, this page he's 80 yard, by page 5 he'll be somewhere in the lower covered end!

For the record, the valley pitch is 112 yards long. He was just inside our half when the ball was taken off his toe, so around 60 yards from goal.

There's no doubt he should have shot. The keeper was 20 yards closer to our goal than Kirk was and they had no players in their own half. Best case scenario he gets lucky and scores (or another Charlton player chases it down for a tap in). Worst case scenario an Orient defender gets to the ball and they regain possession deep in their own half, still a better outcome than what actually happened.
    Why did they score then? Oh wait no they didn't!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Redhenry said:

Correct @Cafc43v3r, we need a couple more quality additions, a striker is a must...
  • IMO to achieve promotion we need a squad with sufficient depth that we have a couple of game changers on the bench who can either maintain/increase the tempo as the starters begin to tire (as Camara did on Saturday), or alternatively help us come back when we are a goal behind (e.g. Chuks for the handful of games he might be available during a season).

McGrandles, Payne, DJ and Kirk just feel like squad players who might do a job for you and perhaps help see out a game, but they are unlikely to do something special. It felt like Ipswich had so many good options off the bench last year. I'm not particularly anti-Kirk, so not overly critical of his cameo on Saturday, he just doesn't show enough quality for me, either when he starts or comes off the bench. The same goes for DJ. Payne always looks like he tries to put a shift in and therefore I think worth keeping.