Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• seth plum said:
    Has this Manchester City striker bloke signed or not?
    My guess is, they are editing some video to fall in line with the current trend on social media of using a movie or television clip to announce it. 

It's our main event unfortunately so it's gonna be milked.

The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a Sopranos style themed announcement, although we probably missed that trick with the Udinese kid. Bugger
  • I feel so old, I don’t know who any of the players we have signed are. Hope they prove more Cullen than Kilkenny standards. Interested in the new CH the most as sounds a hot prospect and may just p*ss all over League One.
  • Surprised we needed someone of Scott’s calibre to achieve what he’s managed to achieve. And I doubt he’s cheap.
    I doubt if Gallen's contact book extended to Italy. Great coop by Scott to bring in a player with 2 Serie A appearances 👏👏👏.  
  • I think this 'leaders' thing is myth. Yes you'd love to have a Tony Adams or John Terry type marshalling your defence or a Gerrard/Keane running midfield, but to be honest if a player is 20-21 does it matter if he's an experienced leader, or is his quality more important?
  • Croydon said:
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    supaclive said:
    Yann897 said:
    supaclive said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Uboat said:
    Off_it said:
    "Sign more players."

"No, not those players."
    Shut up with this shit. It does my fucking head in. It doesn’t even make sense. 
    Yes, we need to sign players, but ideally they would be good enough. 

Let me give you an example: 
    ‘Sign a striker’
    *Club signs Bonne*
    ‘No. Not that one.’
    What’s the problem? 

If it was ‘Sign ANY striker. No not that one’ you might have a point. 

We all know Bonne is shit. Poor example.
    Most on here, like me will have never seen some of these players play, possibly never heard of them.
    Because they’re not household names, they’re already shit!
    If they’re shite they’re shite.
    I for one won’t judge until they’ve had a good few games.

They might never "have a good few games"

That's the issue

A bunch of unproven, inexperienced young players will not enable our own unproven, inexperienced young players to force our way into the Top 6.

That's the issue.  Oh, plus we've spent about 25p and a packet of polos..... 
    such a negative spin it’s a joke, I wonder why some of you even bother with Charlton. 
    SPIN ???!

Methven uses SPIN

I am within my rights to point out the bleeding obvious.   You may be happy with getting worse season on season.

We were promised money would be spent.  Boasts of "Billionaires" and a desire that CAFC only makes sense in the upper half of the Championship. 

Do you think ANY of their actions add up to supporting their claims currently?

I don't. 

But sit there praying for a miracle if you like.
    Can you find me where Methven said money would be spent ? ( some has clearly ) but I’d also like to read that.. I remember him saying we’d be run sensibly with a good senior management team. That’s what a lot of people wanted, we’ve signed good players now we have to wait and see what they can do once we get a manager in and a few players back fit.
     Have we bollox.
    We've basically signed anyone mad enough to put pen to paper. Who worth their salt would really show up for an outfit with no manager?

This will be a shit show of cataclysmic proportions, even for us!
    Iv seen so many other fans say they’re jealous about the business we’ve done but Charlton fans are just never happy.
     Complete nonsense. Most fans are probably chuckling away at the back.
    We are a laughing stock. 
    I'm sick to the back teeth of us signing another no mark and people coming on here and telling us how good they are.
    They won't be. I've seen it all before. More than most with this shower of a football club. I flatly refuse to be taken in by clowns like Methven,Sandgaard and Southall
    I can see us being on the back of some real good hidings this year
    It's a complete and utter mess.
    It has been an excellent window , with young players with pace and energy … too 6 here we come 
    Who are you most excited about and why?
    The right wing back going to be a fav very direct with pace , and the Man City striker looks a force up top think he could be a real find and get the best out if May 
    4 goals and 2 assists in 29 games last season for Barnsley is unlikely to be a real find.
  • vffvff
    edited September 2023
    . Apologies to @ProperCharlton my comment was way off. I deleted. 
  • I think it’s been clear that the squad lacks leaders on the pitch, never mind the age profile. Has that been addressed with these signings, does anyone think?

• Sponsored links:

• Surprised we needed someone of Scott’s calibre to achieve what he’s managed to achieve. And I doubt he’s cheap.
    I doubt if Gallen's contact book extended to Italy. Great coop by Scott to bring in a player with 2 Serie A appearances 👏👏👏.  
    There you go again trying to belittle people.

You are a sad, sad person.
  • I think the one question that needs to be answered is: 

Does this squad make play-offs? 

My feeling is no. So on the basis of that, the recruitment team have failed. 
  • edited September 2023
    MrBurns said:
    sam3110 said:
    MrBurns said:
    But but I thought we had plenty of money! Was someone lied to? 
    Aren't you the richest man in the town? Why don't you sign the players?

I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment. 
    Don't worry about it, so are our "investors".
  • TeeC said:
    This thread ending its life like a big row at the end of long family holiday. Looking forward to this thing slamming shut. 
    As I said 2 days ago, so many fans have developed this weird hobby of wanting to argue with other fans. 

I’m sure it’s largely frustration based, but it’s just not mentally healthy and I don’t understand what people get typing out something rude or abusive to someone else and then hitting send. 

Just let it pass, or if you can’t just put your phone down. 
    Joke's on you, I'm on my laptop on my day off from work so I've got all the time in the world 

• I think the one question that needs to be answered is: 

Your feeling might be no but we'll see in the next 41 games.
  • sm said:
    Croydon said:
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    supaclive said:
    Yann897 said:
    supaclive said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Uboat said:
    Off_it said:
    "Sign more players."

"No, not those players."

‘Sign a striker’
    *Club signs Bonne*
    ‘No. Not that one.’
    What’s the problem? 

Most on here, like me will have never seen some of these players play, possibly never heard of them.

That's the issue

A bunch of unproven, inexperienced young players will not enable our own unproven, inexperienced young players to force our way into the Top 6.

such a negative spin it’s a joke, I wonder why some of you even bother with Charlton. 
    SPIN ???!

Methven uses SPIN

I am within my rights to point out the bleeding obvious.   You may be happy with getting worse season on season.

We were promised money would be spent.  Boasts of "Billionaires" and a desire that CAFC only makes sense in the upper half of the Championship. 

I don't. 

Can you find me where Methven said money would be spent ? ( some has clearly ) but I’d also like to read that.. I remember him saying we’d be run sensibly with a good senior management team. That’s what a lot of people wanted, we’ve signed good players now we have to wait and see what they can do once we get a manager in and a few players back fit.
     Have we bollox.
    We've basically signed anyone mad enough to put pen to paper. Who worth their salt would really show up for an outfit with no manager?

Iv seen so many other fans say they’re jealous about the business we’ve done but Charlton fans are just never happy.
    We are a laughing stock. 
    I'm sick to the back teeth of us signing another no mark and people coming on here and telling us how good they are.
    They won't be. I've seen it all before. More than most with this shower of a football club. I flatly refuse to be taken in by clowns like Methven,Sandgaard and Southall
    It has been an excellent window , with young players with pace and energy … too 6 here we come 
    The right wing back going to be a fav very direct with pace , and the Man City striker looks a force up top think he could be a real find and get the best out if May 
    4 goals and 2 assists in 29 games last season for Barnsley is unlikely to be a real find.
    Some players just click at certain clubs so hopefully he will for us, I trust Man City’s scouts have seen enough in him to pay 2/3m for him and keep him around, let’s hope he’s a perfect partner for May and Leaburn.
  • Unless we sell someone in the next half hour, I haven't come away from this window really fed up.

But I do feel slightly confused what the plan is, as our transfer dealings aren't of new owners making a statement that they are really going for promotion. Or have a long term strategy which Sandgaard did at the start, even if it went badly wrong (DJ, Kirk, Lavelle etc)
  • Sponsored links:

• sm said:
    Croydon said:
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    supaclive said:
    Yann897 said:
    supaclive said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Uboat said:
    Off_it said:
    "Sign more players."

"No, not those players."

‘Sign a striker’
    *Club signs Bonne*
    ‘No. Not that one.’
    What’s the problem? 

That's the issue

SPIN ???!

Methven uses SPIN

I don't. 

Have we bollox.

We are a laughing stock. 
    Think he only started 7 league games for them though.

Whilst i agree he's not exactly going to be the next Haaland who's to say he won't be better prepared for his time in this division last season? Once we get a new manager we might play a way that suits him better than Barnsley did? Having a shorter striker like May playing off him might suit him better than playing alongside Devante Cole at Barnsley?

And they did think he was good enough for him to start all 3 of their play off games.
  • edited September 2023
    Started the window very well and I'm not viewing our business quite as negatively as others. 

May and Camara early doors was positive - very strong signings for League One. These combined with Taylor (came with a good reputation), Edun and Hector (poor this season but impressed with him last) was also cause for optimism. 

Since then, however, it's all gone a bit flat.

I can't help but agree that links to JCH, Nombe, etc. were just a ploy from Methven to change the narrative with no intention of signing them.

I don't know anything about the players we've got in today so I'll wait and see there. If they're a success then my feeling is that Methven and co will have 'got away with it' rather than some sort of Deadline Day masterclass.

Either way, this squad is still massively underachieving and I'm confident that if - and I mean a very big IF - we get the managerial appointment right we could turn this season around. This squad has way more about it than previous seasons, even without the extra experienced bodies we obviously need.
  • fair point on leadership  looking at the squad I would say possible leaders are..

Jones
    Hector 
    Thomas 
    dobbo
    May

maybe Taylor and Watson in CM can step up and lead too  

Dobson is definitely a leader. May could be. Don't know yet about Jones.
    Seen nothing from Hector and Thomas to suggest that they could be leaders. I don't even want them in the starting eleven. Unfortunately, one or the other, or both, may have to be at times.
  • edited September 2023
    Off_it said:
    I think the one question that needs to be answered is: 

Surely only time will tell as to whether the recruitment team will have failed. Surely we at least allow one or two of these fellas to put on a shirt and kick a ball first before writing everyone off? 
    We have done but they lost 4 games in a row....
  • Shame we couldn't move Kirk on.