Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• seth plum said:
    lawhite said:
    I can really see us being the Chelsea of league one … selling ALL our academy products for peanuts in the next 12 months … for these new owners to balance the books … 

goodbye Tyreece Campbell
    goodbye Miles Leaburn
    goodbye Karoy Anderson
    goodbye Nathan Asiimwe 
    goodbye Daniel Kanu

I think this is the plan all along.
    If that is, indeed, the plan, the owners/SMT are even more incompetent and devoid of ambition than we thought. League 1 players will never attract premium transfer fees, even in this market - to do so, players need to have proved themselves at Championship level.

Continuing to languish in League 1 - which looks the most likely outcome at present - means that we’ll only, as @lawhite says, get peanuts for our Academy players. To those listed, you can probably add Maynard-Brewer and Ness. 

The underweight squad and the team’s dismal start means it’s unlikely that either Dobbo or CBT will sign a new deal, meaning they’re likely to be sold in January - always assuming there’s no substance to the tweet about CBT being sold in this window. 
  • The next nine games are crucial.
  • What about the Taylor brothers?
  • NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Any money from a potential sale of CBT is likely not going to 'open the purse strings.' Methven has said that he wants to reduce our losses by 6-7 million per year through player trading. In all likelihood, that's where the money goes.
    I think that quote was talking about once we get to the championship we can reduce our losses. A little bit more realistic, Methven knows in league 1 we will lose lots
    Does he ? 
    He’s said countless times that Charlton can’t be sustainable in league 1. I’m not denying that they aren’t spending big but they definitely know they are going to lose significant amounts of money while we are league 1 
  • Blucher said:
    seth plum said:
    lawhite said:
    I can really see us being the Chelsea of league one … selling ALL our academy products for peanuts in the next 12 months … for these new owners to balance the books … 

goodbye Tyreece Campbell
    goodbye Miles Leaburn
    goodbye Karoy Anderson
    goodbye Nathan Asiimwe 
    goodbye Daniel Kanu

If that is, indeed, the plan, the owners/SMT are even more incompetent and devoid of ambition than we thought. League 1 players will never attract premium transfer fees, even in this market - to do so, players need to have proved themselves at Championship level.

Continuing to languish in League 1 - which looks the most likely outcome at present - means that we’ll only, as @lawhite says, get peanuts for our Academy players. To those listed, you can probably add Maynard-Brewer and Ness. 

The underweight squad and the team’s dismal start means it’s unlikely that either Dobbo or CBT will sign a new deal, meaning they’re likely to be sold in January - always assuming there’s no substance to the tweet about CBT being sold in this window. 
    I'm probably in the minority but I don't even see AMB as League One standard. Any keeper who faces a free-kick and your instant thought is 'this is going in', won't last long. Not to mention he doesn't command his box and is about four foot six.
  • Finally caught up!
  • CafcWest said:
    Has anyone...anyone (except Ronnie) anything positive to contribute...!?  Let's all wait until 11PM to judge.  So many negative posters.
    Pay day yesterday 
  • Sponsored links:

• Blucher said:
    seth plum said:
    lawhite said:

goodbye Tyreece Campbell
    goodbye Miles Leaburn
    goodbye Karoy Anderson
    goodbye Nathan Asiimwe 
    goodbye Daniel Kanu

You can add Rylah, Casey and Ladapo as three more to the list.

I think the Shamocracy are gambling on selling at least two (Leaburn, Tyreece?) for biggish money, and others for less.

On a side note I clearly remember Umerah, Grant and Hanlan playing in the under 23’s when Robinson was in charge and Bowyer helping out and you could hardly differentiate between any of them.
    Now Hanlan is a £300k player.
  • Yann897 said:
    Interesting from Kirk’s Mrs.
    No one wants to pay Kirk decent wages by the sounds of things.
    I suspect a lot of it is that the people who really, really don't want to pay Kirk a decent wage are the ones who committed to do so a couple of years ago. Must be pretty horrible for a player regardless of performance if your employer is trying to force you not only to uproot yourself to go somewhere you might not want to but also for less money than you're legally required to get if you sit still. Add to that your bosses briefing in the news that you're unwanted, offering you to clubs and then putting pressure on you to bugger off to Fleetwood or wherever, and if you could leave 3 grand a week on the table to do it that would be great, thanks! Otherwise you're not allowed to be picked for the squad and you can just turn up to training and then go home every week. On top of that, there's probably plenty of the worst type of fans sending you a load of abuse online telling you to get out of 'their' club, people on message boards calling you Shirk and other shit nasty nicknames and telling anyone who'll listen that you're 'dogshit'. Toxic barely even covers it
    I get your point entirely, but kirk has barely been any use his entire time at CAFC and that warrants him a sidestep to another club? Fucked around, and now he's about to find out.
  • se9addick said:
    I’m interested in the recruitment process we seem to now be following. Who said “that guy who was released by MK Dons and has sat on the sofa until September because no one else wanted him, that’s the guy we need”? Or are they just looking at Transfermarkt for free agents and going down the list until they find someone cheap/desperate enough?
    He wasn’t released by them, he turned down a new contract.
    We were linked to him early in the window along with Birmingham and Hull (I think).
    So, a long term target.
  • Yann897 said:
    I suspect a lot of it is that the people who really, really don't want to pay Kirk a decent wage are the ones who committed to do so a couple of years ago. Must be pretty horrible for a player regardless of performance if your employer is trying to force you not only to uproot yourself to go somewhere you might not want to but also for less money than you're legally required to get if you sit still. Add to that your bosses briefing in the news that you're unwanted, offering you to clubs and then putting pressure on you to bugger off to Fleetwood or wherever, and if you could leave 3 grand a week on the table to do it that would be great, thanks! Otherwise you're not allowed to be picked for the squad and you can just turn up to training and then go home every week. On top of that, there's probably plenty of the worst type of fans sending you a load of abuse online telling you to get out of 'their' club, people on message boards calling you Shirk and other shit nasty nicknames and telling anyone who'll listen that you're 'dogshit'. Toxic barely even covers it
    Probably worth sticking around to try and impress the new manager tbh
  • edited September 2023
    Leuth said:
    Yann897 said:
    Probably worth sticking around to try and impress the new manager tbh
    Not if we're sticking with a 352 though

He might as well be the water boy
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely we didn't bring Louie Watson to cover for McGrandles, if we wanted to move McGrandles on anyway. More likely to cover for Fraser or Camara, who've had the classic minor Charlton injury turned into a long term absence story, we've seen so often.
  • Ladapo is a funny one. In his 30s now and was knocking around not even top level non-league till 5 years ago. Something just seemed to kick in when at Plymouth 4 years ago as his returns have been good since.

Why are Ipswich wanting to release someone with a decent goal return? Would have thought even if not first choice he seems a perfect bench / replacement 
  • Unless we have a very big day today, this lot are done after just a few weeks of being owners.
    Ridiculous blimey we are giving people just 3 weeks now even that ridiculous even for some Charlton fans … ask a question what do you expect them to archive in 3 weeks that owners in the last 8/10 years have failed 
    They'll certainly make their lives harder to get fans in the stands on this Window - But should be given more time, before proper judgement gets past.

Too many people understandably have PTSD from the last decade of back ownership.
  • se9addick said:
    I don’t like this talk about CBT potentially going. 
    I'll worry when I hear the possibility from Cawley
  • Unless we have a very big day today, this lot are done after just a few weeks of being owners.
    Ridiculous blimey we are giving people just 3 weeks now even that ridiculous even for some Charlton fans … ask a question what do you expect them to archive in 3 weeks that owners in the last 8/10 years have failed 
    They took over on the 21st July, so your 3 weeks comment is incorrect