Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Hector (Page 11 - Signs a NEW one year deal)

Comments

• Options
    Major issue is that we have no one else. Yeah there's Ness but he is still young. We needed to get 2 more defenders in but unfortunately we didn't. Hector should of never been considered apart from as back up. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Worth pointing out that no criticism of mine is personal, but it's hard to take your CB strolling around at their own pace, giving up on things that look tough and wanting to just play soft/cute passes out. 

When we sign players like Hector, we make out as if we got him under the nose of competitors. He has been a real liability this season. In hindsight, I'd have preferred Innis to have remained here, but at the time thought Hector was the better, fitter and classier option.

Another welcome to the Watson,Gunter,Arterton club it is looking like sadly unless he pulls his socks up. 
    Oh definitely not. The actual mistake was thinking we needed to choose between Inniss OR Hector. The better answer would have been to get well rid of both. 

January is a bad time to be trying to find a really strong CB as most of those are established in their teams already and we won't be a step up in many eyes - but we've got to try it.

Frankly I don't know if Ness is that much better a choice or not but I'd take the chance of dropping Hector just to make the point that he isn't Billy Big Spuds and can't keep coasting on past reputation.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Shocking liability last night. Nelson Abbey in January please.
    Unless Reading continue struggling and are desperate for the money I expect he’ll be aiming higher than us if he’s regularly performed like that. At his age I think we’d be out priced too.
  • Options
    After a couple of adequate showings and one almost good it was back to the sadly familiar gormless shite
    I'm not sure how good Jones ever was but Hector's brand of ball watching halfwit inadequacy is rubbing off on him quickly
    They got totally rogered by a midtable side that had none of its regular strikers available and there's only ever one reason for that - they ain't close to good enough
    The whole back line needs improvement/recruitment in January or points will continue to be thrown away 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    After a couple of adequate showings and one almost good it was back to the sadly familiar gormless shite
    I'm not sure how good Jones ever was but Hector's brand of ball watching halfwit inadequacy is rubbing off on him quickly
    They got totally rogered by a midtable side that had none of its regular strikers available and there's only ever one reason for that - they ain't close to good enough
    The whole back line needs improvement/recruitment in January or points will continue to be thrown away 
    Can't argue with any of what you say.
    My biggest problem with Hector is that as the experienced player who has played at a higher level he is expected to lead by example. 
    At times he's the worst out there.

He either improves or gets replaced in my opinion. 
  • Options
    Should never of given him another contract. Shows our intent or lack of. 
  • Options
    He’s a very rare thing: a luxury defender. Looks amazing at times, but then loses us games. It’s no good looking very classy if you keep slipping up. Incredibly frustrating. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    He’s a very rare thing: a luxury defender. Looks amazing at times, but then loses us games. It’s no good looking very classy if you keep slipping up. Incredibly frustrating. 
    Exactly and that is not compatible in L1. You need grit, desire and will to win to get out of this league. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Worth pointing out that no criticism of mine is personal, but it's hard to take your CB strolling around at their own pace, giving up on things that look tough and wanting to just play soft/cute passes out. 

When we sign players like Hector, we make out as if we got him under the nose of competitors. He has been a real liability this season. In hindsight, I'd have preferred Innis to have remained here, but at the time thought Hector was the better, fitter and classier option.

Another welcome to the Watson,Gunter,Arter club it is looking like sadly unless he pulls his socks up. 
    To be fair there were definitely 3/4 other sides in for him. 

Also happy to be in the Arterton club, maybe not the Arter one. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:

Another welcome to the Watson,Gunter,Arter club it is looking like sadly unless he pulls his socks up. 

Sweet fucking Jesus!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:

Nice sofa.
  • Options
    How tall is that CB?

She has something about her.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:

She’s the fitter classier option regardless of how high her socks are pulled up 
  • Options
    Hector needs to be rested no matter how Ness performs which I believe will be more reliably anyway. It doesn’t matter what level you have played at previously - needs a reality check and he needs to start owning those attackers like we know he can. Can’t rest Thomas until Edun is ready after this weekend (unfortunately).
  • Options
    Feel like this guy was taking the piss tonight. It's as though he decided he was going to have an evening off and leave most of it to Jones. 

There were a few times where their goalie launched it into our half, and Hector let his man head the ball unchallenged – just stood there and watched him. 

The difference in application and effort between him and his CB partner was stark.
  • Options
    Cheltenham had one shot on target. Our two CBs have developed a decent partnership in recent weeks. They're composed on the ball and they both defend on the front foot. Honestly I don't know what people are looking for but Hector as a matter of concern was well down the list. 

What I saw was someone who made several good tackles, wasn't beaten on the ground, made a number of good clearing headers and used the ball well. Okay they maybe won more in the box than they could have, but apart from the goal they were all under challenge 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Cheltenham had one shot on target. Our two CBs have developed a decent partnership in recent weeks. They're composed on the ball and they both defend on the front foot. Honestly I don't know what people are looking for but Hector as a matter of concern was well down the list. 

What I saw was someone who made several good tackles, wasn't beaten on the ground, made a number of good clearing headers and used the ball well. Okay they maybe won more in the box than they could have, but apart from the goal they were all under challenge 
    Did you not see their goal? I’ve tried hard to like him but he’s beyond a joke now. One good game in five if we’re lucky. Their centre backs looked more solid and effective and coped with a lot more pressure than ours and they’re bottom of the league. Even Jones flatters to deceive imo. If we’re ever going to be genuine contenders then we must sort the defence. While I’m at it, not that convinced by our full backs either. Lack positioning sense and get beaten too often and too easily. 

Thank goodness we won. Thanks, Alfie, yet again. 
    I'm not totally convinced by Jones either, but as far as our defence goes, he's the best of a bad bunch.
    Neither of our full backs look like defenders. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Did you not see their goal? I’ve tried hard to like him but he’s beyond a joke now. One good game in five if we’re lucky. Their centre backs looked more solid and effective and coped with a lot more pressure than ours and they’re bottom of the league. Even Jones flatters to deceive imo. If we’re ever going to be genuine contenders then we must sort the defence. While I’m at it, not that convinced by our full backs either. Lack positioning sense and get beaten too often and too easily. 

I'm not totally convinced by Jones either, but as far as our defence goes, he's the best of a bad bunch.
    This Jones needs a new partner, Hector is taking the piss.

neither full back is good enough either 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

This Jones needs a new partner, Hector is taking the piss.

neither full back is good enough either 
    Spot on. We basically need to replace 3 out of our 4 first choice defenders!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I am not sure how they were set up before the new manager came in, but they clearly had a game plan against us and there goal was a perfect example of how they set up to play and try and exploit us.

Lots of balls into the channels over or around the back of our full backs, who are often isolated due to how far up the pitch our wingers play. And then either win the ball or pick up the seconds and get the ball into the box.

On this occasion Jones had followed a player who came short to receive, they played the channel ball over the top, Edun didn’t have an option to head it to anyone so it just went into that big open space where we don’t have a winger - they picked up the seconds and then played a good ball in between Hector and Watson (and Jones was not in the box because he went short).

As ever I don’t think it’s a single persons fault or to be honest in this case anyone’s fault really. Singling out a player or players feels naive. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I like Tennai, Edun and Jones. Hector would be lovely third choice centre back to have.

Get the right CB in in January and I think we could start to see some major improvements.
  • Options
    I like Tennai, Edun and Jones. Hector would be lovely third choice centre back to have.

Get the right CB in in January and I think we could start to see some major improvements.
    Watson and Edun are poor defenders. 3 of the 4 need replacing in January but obviously won't happen. 
  • Options

I agree, you aren't going to get much better at this level than those three. If only we had the Hector or Ness of last season to play with them.
  • Options
    Hector is improving but is still prone to lapses. He is generally good on the ball. He doesn't offer much on attacking set pieces. He should be starting but we might be able to get better although there is the hope he will get better.
  • Options
    i thought Hector was poor again last night but he isnt helped by AMB complete lack of command of the area. Feels like there is no communication at the back and the keeper needs to be responsible for that.