Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Hector (Page 11 - Signs a NEW one year deal)

Comments

• Options
    We need to be conceding a maximum of a goal a game if we're serious about promotion - 25 in 18 is not really good enough.
    No different to last season when we conceded 66. Bar Jones I have not seen any improvement in the defence so far to rectify that

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    We need to be conceding a maximum of a goal a game if we're serious about promotion - 25 in 18 is not really good enough.
    No different to last season when we conceded 66. Bar Jones I have not seen any improvement in the defence so far to rectify that

We're on course to concede 64 if we continue at the current rate - not good enough at L1 level. Imagine this defence at Championship level.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

We're on course to concede 64 if we continue at the current rate - not good enough at L1 level. Imagine this defence at Championship level.

None of them are good enough to play that level
  • Options
    All the while he's got no serious competition he will continue to cruise.
    It needs addressing 
  • Options
    All the while he's got no serious competition he will continue to cruise.
    It needs addressing 
    He needs to be the competition at best. Looks like he needs a rocket up his arse to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Really happy to see Hector’s recent improvement in form. I’ve always rated him, although his tendency to be over casual has caused alarm at times. When he cuts out the errors he’s a Championship level player, so long may it continue. 

I don’t mind him occasionally launching the ball into orbit occasionally if it helps cut out the errors. His all round play is now very good and his long ball passing is becoming almost Naby-esque at times. He was also involved in both our goals on Saturday. 
    Hopefully he’ll have won over some of his knockers - but you only have to watch MotD to see that even at the highest level centre backs will always make the occasional mistake. Perhaps we can cut the back four a bit of slack now. They were a problem earlier in the season, but it’s coming together a bit now, at a time when some of the rest of our play has been more questionable. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    He was certainly man of the match on Saturday, but he needs to do it consistently. Hopefully he does now. It's never been a problem of quality with Hector but concentration and application.

The occasional mistake is fine, but he is top of the league for Errors Leading To Goals, with twice as many as anybody else, and is actually fortunate to not have more.
  • Options
    And look, y'know, we're there to watch footballers. I know the result is all-important, but isn't it nice to get to watch, like, footballers too? People who can play the game to some sort of advanced level and do things others can't? Especially when that footballing ability seems like the only thing that's keeping us from losing every game? 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Comparing Hector to CBs at top-six clubs.

Errors Leading to Goals

Michael Hector: 3

1. Portsmouth

Sean Raggat: 0
    Regan Poole: 0
    Conor Shaughnessy: 0
    Ryley Towler: 0

2. Bolton

Ricardo Santos: 0
    Gethin Jones: 0
    Eoin Toal: 0
    Jack Iredale: 0
    William Forrester: 0

3. Stevenage

Carl Piergianni: 0
    Terence Vancooten: 0
    Dan Sweeney: 0

4. Peterborough

Romoney Lowe: 1
    Josh Knight: 0
    Ronnie Edwards: 0
    Jadel Katongo: 0

5. Derby

Sonny Bradley: 1
    Craig Forsyth: 0
    Curtis Nelson: 0
    Eirin Cashin: 0
    Jake Rooney: 0

6. Oxford
    Jordan Thorniley: 0
    Elliot Moore: 0
    Stephen Negru: 0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    And look, y'know, we're there to watch footballers. I know the result is all-important, but isn't it nice to get to watch, like, footballers too? People who can play the game to some sort of advanced level and do things others can't? Especially when that footballing ability seems like the only thing that's keeping us from losing every game? 
    Hector is the reason we're not losing every game. I've heard it all now!
    Alfie May is the reason we are not losing every game, as his goals cancel out some of the deficiencies of the Hector-led, sieve-like defence.

Don't take any one who types like a 90s American teenager talks seriously.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Alfie May is the reason we are not losing every game, as his goals cancel out some of the deficiencies of the Hector-led, sieve-like defence.

May isn't a one-man team. He's leading the attack superbly but given our lack of a credible, powerful midfield the defence are overtasked as well
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:

Don't take any one who types like a 90s American teenager talks seriously.
    Aw man, what a bummer
  • Options
    Hector has made three Errors Leading To Goals eh? Oh no. Almost half a season and he's cost us three whole goals! It isn't like he's made countless great challenges, blocks, headers and interceptions, and it isn't like he's started loads of attacks for us. He's made three errors leading to goals. Oh no. Get rid.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    You clearly get a kick out of picking a player and defending them to the hilt, so whatever floats your boat.
    No, I am simply always pissed off when our fans decide someone's shit, when watching the actual games proves the contrary. I'd like to think I'm fair about it. What is undeniable is that our fans have extremely abusive relationships with any centre-back who tries to play a bit. It's always been the case. Now we've got someone who's masterful at stopping attackers who run at him, aerially dominant, proactive and good on the ball, you'd have thought our fans might forgive the odd mistake and embrace him as what he absolutely clearly is in my eyes: quite obviously one of our best players and one of the few who'd be at home in a team challenging for promotion. Instead, his skill on the ball is understood to be a weakness for some reason, his manifest qualities at defending opposition forwards are ignored, and he's essentially blamed for our Goals Against tally, because Lloyd Jones has never been at fault for anything because he's no-nonsense, and as everyone knows all goals against are the centre-backs' fault. Actually, neither of them have been anything other than generally excellent imo - the full-backs have been weak and the midfield even more so, and THAT is why we've let in so many goals. 
  • Options
    An example of a player I've previously defended but now am not so sure about is Fraser. I want him to become more effective again but he's not impacting play enough, even if he looks good when he does get the ball
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    You clearly get a kick out of picking a player and defending them to the hilt, so whatever floats your boat.
    No, I am simply always pissed off when our fans decide someone's shit, when watching the actual games proves the contrary. I'd like to think I'm fair about it. What is undeniable is that our fans have extremely abusive relationships with any centre-back who tries to play a bit. It's always been the case. Now we've got someone who's masterful at stopping attackers who run at him, aerially dominant, proactive and good on the ball, you'd have thought our fans might forgive the odd mistake and embrace him as what he absolutely clearly is in my eyes: quite obviously one of our best players and one of the few who'd be at home in a team challenging for promotion. Instead, his skill on the ball is understood to be a weakness for some reason, his manifest qualities at defending opposition forwards are ignored, and he's essentially blamed for our Goals Against tally, because Lloyd Jones has never been at fault for anything because he's no-nonsense, and as everyone knows all goals against are the centre-backs' fault. Actually, neither of them have been anything other than generally excellent imo - the full-backs have been weak and the midfield even more so, and THAT is why we've let in so many goals. 
    I honestly don't know what to say if you think Hector has been generally excellent, though I do agree the full backs have been very poor.

Hector had his best game this season by a mile on Saturday, I hope it continues. 
  • Options
    He was also really good against Reading (home and away) and Wigan, very good against Portsmouth (yes, he did miss a cross at one point) and good against Carlisle where the goal wasn't really on him but on the lack of midfield cover deeper in the box (he was defending the six-yard box). I'm not counting Cheltenham's goal against him either; the cross was close to perfect, hit early and wickedly dipping onto a runner only T Watson could have tracked. There's been one notable error (the Portsmouth one) in the last five league and one cup games where he's otherwise performed to a very high standard. The trend is towards him showing excellent form - six games is not a tiny sample - and I'll happily exchange one serious (and unpunished) error in six games for what he brings to our play.

I agree that before Wigan, he was at times shaky, but I'm judging on what I'm seeing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saturday's game was Michael Hector at Charlton distilled into 102 minutes
    46 minute first half of shambling incompetence despite Cambridge's general ineptness the whole Charlton defence pissed about making their own lives much harder failing to get the ball out of the danger area and misplacing passes, Hector central to the bumbling fiasco
    47 or 48 minutes of the 2nd half of imperious defending almost faultless, won everything, cleared up and got rid just as someone of his experience and (part-time) ability should against plodding 3rd division opponents
     7 or 8 minutes in injury time of shambolic ineptitude allowing acres of space 7 yards out from a corner is flat out a sackable offense then sinking ever further back giving the resurgent Cambridge all the space and time it needed to nick a point 

Delusional apologists might cook up bullshit about "all that injury time, he was flagging, everyone around him was the same...blah blah cobblers"
    The same player who did what he did for 80% of the 2nd half can only switch off to that degree if he experiences a major medical emergency or simply doesn't care
    It wasn't all on him but he's got form for these patchy on/off performances and he plumbed new depths on Saturday
    He's a pisstaker and we need rid of his sort from the dressing room
  • Options
    I was a big critic of Hector but for me he has got significantly better as the season has gone on but we still need to sign at least one more high quality CB to compete with Hector for the place along side Jones when everyone is fit as none of the other CB options we have look good enough for a top six league one team IMO. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Billy_Mix said:
    Saturday's game was Michael Hector at Charlton distilled into 102 minutes
    46 minute first half of shambling incompetence despite Cambridge's general ineptness the whole Charlton defence pissed about making their own lives much harder failing to get the ball out of the danger area and misplacing passes, Hector central to the bumbling fiasco
    47 or 48 minutes of the 2nd half of imperious defending almost faultless, won everything, cleared up and got rid just as someone of his experience and (part-time) ability should against plodding 3rd division opponents
     7 or 8 minutes in injury time of shambolic ineptitude allowing acres of space 7 yards out from a corner is flat out a sackable offense then sinking ever further back giving the resurgent Cambridge all the space and time it needed to nick a point 

Delusional apologists might cook up bullshit about "all that injury time, he was flagging, everyone around him was the same...blah blah cobblers"
    The same player who did what he did for 80% of the 2nd half can only switch off to that degree if he experiences a major medical emergency or simply doesn't care
    It wasn't all on him but he's got form for these patchy on/off performances and he plumbed new depths on Saturday
    He's a pisstaker and we need rid of his sort from the dressing room
    First half, Thomas and Hector kept Cambridge at bay pretty much on their own, by common consent.

Cambridge's corner goal was on Thomas and Chem Campbell, by universal consent. Hector was defending a different zone. It also happened well before injury time began. 

Cambridge's equaliser came after Hector actually came out of defence to win the ball - so, the opposite of dropping deep - only for Fraser to lose a tackle and Edun to dangle a leg.

All in all, classic Thunderc...classic Billy_Mix blowhard nonsense. 'Plumbed new depths' - get a new hobby ffs
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Hector IS generally excellent. He’ll play fantastically well for a long period and then drop an absolute clanger that costs a goal.

You can’t be doing that as a central defender, even if you are generally excellent.

It’s probably the second position (behind goalkeeper) where you’d prefer steady 7/10 blokes who don’t make mistakes over someone who can look 9/10 one week but 4/10 the next. Hector is the latter.

Long term, I hope we can bring in another defender and have the luxury of a classy back up in Michael Hector.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Errors Leading to Goals

1. Portsmouth

2. Bolton

3. Stevenage

4. Peterborough

5. Derby

6. Oxford
    Where did you find that?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

Errors Leading to Goals

1. Portsmouth

2. Bolton

3. Stevenage

4. Peterborough

5. Derby

6. Oxford
    Where did you find that?
    Stats from FotMob. 

The above trend continues throughout the league, but can't sit here and write them all up. 

It's striking that you could add all of the errors from those 24 CBs together and they still wouldn't have as many as Hector.

I think the general regularity of errors can be overstated on here, perhaps because we've had the likes of Innis playing for us for the past few seasons.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Hector IS generally excellent. He’ll play fantastically well for a long period and then drop an absolute clanger that costs a goal.

You can’t be doing that as a central defender, even if you are generally excellent.

It’s probably the second position (behind goalkeeper) where you’d prefer steady 7/10 blokes who don’t make mistakes over someone who can look 9/10 one week but 4/10 the next. Hector is the latter.

Long term, I hope we can bring in another defender and have the luxury of a classy back up in Michael Hector.
    We know that was what he was like earlier in his time at the club, but what we’re seeing now is how he seems to be improving generally, and cutting out the errors. 
    When did he last drop a clanger that cost a goal (can’t remember one recently, but my short term memory isn't all that)? The last scare was in one of those cup games a few weeks back where he wouldn’t get rid despite three opposition players surrounding him. But that didn’t lead to a goal. And he’s definitely been going for the safety first option recently. 
    I think we forget that when we signed him he hadn’t played for an age, just sat on the bench in the premier league. For me a lot of our defensive deficiencies have been caused by not having enough defensively minded players on the pitch, and being a soft touch in midfield. Fraser is always being forced off the ball, and ends up falling over. Happened on Saturday a few times, and one of them led to a goal. 
    Hopefully we’ll sign a midfield bully in January. We certainly need one. 
  • Options
    I think he's been a bit unlucky to finally start finding some better form just when Jones suddenly becomes unavailable honestly.

It IS aggravating that someone with his wealth of experience took so long to find his mojo but he has looked better recently.

Stats like mistakes made leading to goals etc can be helpful but not necessarily telling the whole story - if the midfield give the ball away easily or it keeps coming back at the defence repeatedly then by law of averages anyone will end up making more errors.

We have bigger problems that need solving a lot more urgently than replacing Hector right now, IMO.
  • Options
    I thought Hector broadly played well Saturday but at least twice there were headers to be one in dangerous areas that for whatever reason he just left that luckily did not lead to conceding, silly things like are why no matter how well he plays questions remain. 

Completely agree with others though that we need more experienced tougher signings, players who have the nouse to see out games like Saturday even if some fans find the dark arts distasteful. 

It's why we should not be talking about how we might replace Dobson or cover for him but recruiting someone of a similar ilk to play alongside him, allowing our flair players more freedom to do what they do. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Stats like mistakes made leading to goals etc can be helpful but not necessarily telling the whole story - if the midfield give the ball away easily or it keeps coming back at the defence repeatedly then by law of averages anyone will end up making more errors.
    I think this is an interesting proposition, but if it were to be accurate and work, the teams who gave up possession the most, or teams who were under the pressure the most, would have CBs with the most errors. But Hector is still #1 in the league. And that includes all of the worst teams who have bigger problems than us.