Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Hector (Page 11 - Signs a NEW one year deal)

Comments

• Options
    Hector used to crunch into tackles and/or time them perfectly last season. Almost like last season was his trial and this season is his final in football, so best take it easy.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    i thought Hector was poor again last night but he isnt helped by AMB complete lack of command of the area. Feels like there is no communication at the back and the keeper needs to be responsible for that.
    AMB is such a timid keeper. Never see him bollocking the defenders despite their regular cock ups and rarely barks out orders. If we're signing another freebie in January then hopefully it's someone that can compete for a first team place. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Cheltenham had one shot on target. Our two CBs have developed a decent partnership in recent weeks. They're composed on the ball and they both defend on the front foot. Honestly I don't know what people are looking for but Hector as a matter of concern was well down the list. 

What I saw was someone who made several good tackles, wasn't beaten on the ground, made a number of good clearing headers and used the ball well. Okay they maybe won more in the box than they could have, but apart from the goal they were all under challenge 
    Left a man unmarked to score from 6 yards out twice in 4 days but are forming a good partnership...

3 clean sheets in the league all season would suggest the defence is a problem and Hector being a key part of that defence is going to get criticism.

I think you like being contrarian about certain players just to give you something to do.
    Lavelle was about 12 yards out. Was not their job to track that man, was their job to defend the six-yard box. A midfielder should have been on that cut-back. 

And last night...that cross will be in the top 3 best crosses we'll face all season. Sometimes a cross is nigh-on undefendable. Their right-back won't hit a better one in his career. I don't think there's very much anyone could have done about that, to call it pinpoint would be an understatement 
  • Options

Leuth said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Cheltenham had one shot on target. Our two CBs have developed a decent partnership in recent weeks. They're composed on the ball and they both defend on the front foot. Honestly I don't know what people are looking for but Hector as a matter of concern was well down the list. 

What I saw was someone who made several good tackles, wasn't beaten on the ground, made a number of good clearing headers and used the ball well. Okay they maybe won more in the box than they could have, but apart from the goal they were all under challenge 
    Left a man unmarked to score from 6 yards out twice in 4 days but are forming a good partnership...

3 clean sheets in the league all season would suggest the defence is a problem and Hector being a key part of that defence is going to get criticism.

I think you like being contrarian about certain players just to give you something to do.
    Lavelle was about 12 yards out. Was not their job to track that man, was their job to defend the six-yard box. A midfielder should have been on that cut-back. 

And last night...that cross will be in the top 3 best crosses we'll face all season. Sometimes a cross is nigh-on undefendable. Their right-back won't hit a better one in his career. I don't think there's very much anyone could have done about that, to call it pinpoint would be an understatement 

Good cross or not, we haven't even tried to make it hard for the goal scorer.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Honestly don't understand some of the negative comments on here. I thought he was good last night, against a side that was direct and physical. For the goal, some times a centre forward will come off the back of CB (good forward play), either the full back needs to communicate or come around and cover. AMB for me should have come and claimed the ball.

His passing, I think is good, and is always looking for the positive pass.. I get some of the comments, post the mistakes he has made, but last nights showing! Undeserved.

From a personal point of view, I would rather a defender, who makes the odd error in trying to pass the ball out, and start our attacks then someone who just lumps it up the pitch!!! 

• Options
    Leuth said:

I don't often agree with all your comments, but I agree with you on this! 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Croydon said:

Leuth said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:

Good cross or not, we haven't even tried to make it hard for the goal scorer.

Perfect example here AMB starting position and where the forward heads the ball is a about yard apart!! Makes my point he should have come and collect it.. or go back to his line, instead caught in no mans land.. Sometimes a good cross is always going to beat the CB, and this is a good example of it, and this is where the full back and keeper needs to help!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    That's Watson's fault isn't it? He's got to come across, there's no one behind him. 
    For me, no blame on Hector for that goal! Good cross that was always going to beat him, cross come from so deep, and is on the 6 yard box, and ABM starting position was on the 6 yard box!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah no blame for Hector there, he's in the right position and can't help that the cross goes over his head. Watson should be picking up that man. Can see arguments for AMB coming to get it but can understand why he didn't. The real problem starts because Edun doesn't have enough defensive cover so there's no one to pick up his header
  • Options
    Talal said:
    That's Watson's fault isn't it? He's got to come across, there's no one behind him. 
    Yeah agree, looks like a lack of comms between the pair of them. Good cross but it's still bad defending imo
  • Options
    Yes it was a good cross but how is the crosser in so much space and have so much time, clearly the left sided players have to take some blame.
  • Options
    It was way to easy for their winger to get the cross in to begin with. One simple ball up the line and he was in acres of space. I really like Edun but thought he was defensively poor last night.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    fenaddick said:
    Yeah no blame for Hector there, he's in the right position and can't help that the cross goes over his head. Watson should be picking up that man. Can see arguments for AMB coming to get it but can understand why he didn't. The real problem starts because Edun doesn't have enough defensive cover so there's no one to pick up his header
    Clearly a lot of people on here have it in for Hector no matter what! 
    Statistically speaking, he is the most error-prone CB in the league. 

There is an 'Error Leading to Goal' statistic and he is the forerunner, with twice as many as anybody else – and lucky not to have another one after Carlisle.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    fenaddick said:

There is an 'Error Leading to Goal' statistic and he is the forerunner, with twice as many as anybody else (and lucky not to have another one after Carlisle.

Is that good enough? 
    Because he takes the risk to get the ball down and play. Happy to take the ball under pressure, or some times other players are panicked when under pressure and just pass it to him..!

He is brave on the ball, no issue with that. 

Since Appleton has come in, and trusted Hector, we have lost 2 in 13 for me that is the most important stat, and him and Jones are looking better in my opinion! Until we have someone come in, who is class he is better than what we currently have!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    fenaddick said:

There is an 'Error Leading to Goal' statistic and he is the forerunner, with twice as many as anybody else (and lucky not to have another one after Carlisle.

Is that good enough? 
    Because he takes the risk to get the ball down and play. Happy to take the ball under pressure, or some times other players are panicked when under pressure and just pass it to him..!

Since Appleton has come in, and trusted Hector, we have lost 2 in 13 for me that is the most important stat, and him and Jones are looking better in my opinion! Until we have someone come in, who is class he is better than what we currently have!
    No other CBs in the top ten get the ball down and play? We have relatively middling statistics for playing out from the back in this league. 

There is 'trying to play out' and then there is inexplicably trying to take on three players, as he did at Carlisle.

Not every goal in his 'Error' list is from passing, either. His concentration is the bigger issue.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    se9addick said:
    Leuth said:

Did you not see their goal? I’ve tried hard to like him but he’s beyond a joke now. One good game in five if we’re lucky. Their centre backs looked more solid and effective and coped with a lot more pressure than ours and they’re bottom of the league. Even Jones flatters to deceive imo. If we’re ever going to be genuine contenders then we must sort the defence. While I’m at it, not that convinced by our full backs either. Lack positioning sense and get beaten too often and too easily. 

Thank goodness we won. Thanks, Alfie, yet again. 
    I'm not totally convinced by Jones either, but as far as our defence goes, he's the best of a bad bunch.
    Neither of our full backs look like defenders. 
    This Jones needs a new partner, Hector is taking the piss.

neither full back is good enough either 
    Spot on. We basically need to replace 3 out of our 4 first choice defenders!
    That what we did this summer, and the defence has got even worse, we concede goals far too easily, our fans are being mugged off with mediocrity, not excellence.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    fenaddick said:

Is that good enough? 

No other CBs in the top ten get the ball down and play? We have relatively middling statistics for playing out from the back in this league. 
    Certainly couple of better CBs in the top 10 at getting the ball down and playing! But he is better than we have got, and we are on a half decent run.. Why change it! He has a half decent game, and people have come on here to dig holes, and put blame on him for a goal, which he is no way at fault for.. It is a bit boring!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    fenaddick said:

Is that good enough? 

Certainly couple of better CBs in the top 10 at getting the ball down and playing! But he is better than we have got, and we are on a half decent run.. Why change it! He has a half decent game, and people have come on here to dig holes, and put blame on him for a goal, which he is no way at fault for.. It is a bit boring!!!
    While he's not the worst player (although officially League One's most error-prone), if we want to get into the play-offs, we need better. Most frustratingly, with him it seems to be a problem of commitment more than quality. 
  • Options
    There are aspects of Hector's game that are excellent and if his alll round game was like that he'd be in the top half of the Championship.

But his all round game suffers due to a lack of pace and lapses in concentration and that;s why he's playing mid-table League One football. 

It's a case of whther the good outweighs the bad. Personally I think it does and he has been a bit unfortunate in the way that too many of his errors have led directly to goals.

Very similar to Naby Sarr in a way: a very good player whose errors cost us on a number of occasions. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    fenaddick said:

Is that good enough? 

While he's not the worst player (although officially League One's most error-prone), if we want to get into the play-offs, we need better. Most frustratingly, with him it seems to be a problem of commitment more than quality. 
    The thing with Hector is that a lot of his errors are not due to a lack of skill, or quality but application or concentration. If a limited player was doing his best but still got exposed or made mistakes that would be one thing.

But Hector is good enough that a lot of what he gets wrong is because he seems a bit laid back or maybe overconfident. It's great that he is confident to pass the ball or carry it but sometimes just putting your boot through is perfectly fine.

I don't think he's bad, I think he's actually still a good defender. Just maybe not quite as good as he seems to think.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:

It's definitely contrarian to seek attention.

As for Hector, the majority can see he's an accident waiting to happen & we're not going up with him as first choice CB.

Jones is decent. 

The wing backs are improving, but neither are good defenders and both rarely are able to stop a cross coming over. 

Jones is our sole decent defender. 
  • Options
    There are so many domino effects that happen for their first goal but the first (on field) domino to fall was Scott Fraser. 
    Curtis Davis played the long ball, at that moment Scotty is picking up Sercombe. Tennai and Edun have the WB’s. Hector, Jones and Dobbo have the two strikers and their 10 (more about that later).
    Sercombe moves in to Scotty’s blind side, who know’s he’s there, has a feel for him and shifts to stop a pass in to him. The ball is played long by Davis, Sercombe advances and Scotty makes no attempt to go with him, catch him or have anything to do with him. Edun’s header, Tennai coming around, AMB coming out are all valid points but in reaction to the cross. That needs to be dealt with at source, Sercombe should never have been left to roam freely, that should have been a cross under duress from Scotty at the least!

In addition to that, IMO, the structural set up was wrong. May, Leaburn & CBT were squeezed against there 3 CB’s, leaving 1v1’s across the back line. Anyone shirks a defensive duty and they get a simple overload, which they did. Far too often in the first half Hector, Jones & Dobbo were matched up 3v3, that’s crazy in a central area. Fraser left Sercombe a few times in transition, so Dobbo popped out to match up and the back 4 were left dealing with 5, worryingly 3 v 2 centrally!! Luckily it didn’t come to anything due to the lack of quality with Cheltenham. 
    We went forward trying to create an overload in midfield with Edun and against their CB’s with Scotty pushing on. But was happy to go 1v1 defensively…strange decision which was adjusted at 1/2 time. 
  • Options
    Hector played well last night. They were very physical and direct and he & Jones dealt well with the aerial bombardment 
  • Options
    Hector played well last night. They were very physical and direct and he & Jones dealt well with the aerial bombardment 
    Jones did anyway.
  • Options
    Thought all the back four were fine last night except that they switched off for the goal we must not forget that this is League 1 so players will make mistakes!
  • Options
    We need to be conceding a maximum of a goal a game if we're serious about promotion - 25 in 18 is not really good enough.
  • Options
    Let’s face it, with his pedigree and experience he should be cruising at this level and regularly be one of our best performers. He’s not been nearly enough and frankly has been a disappointment.