Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Hector (Page 11 - Signs a NEW one year deal)

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    He's reminding me of Matthews. Can look good in the moments where he feels up for it, but the general lack of appetite shows. 
    Unfair on Hector - he clearly tries, but his languid style can get him in trouble. Matthews was a shirker
    Not sure about that. Hector hasn't had such a good career thus far by having a languid style that gets him in trouble. This is the lowest he's ever played as a senior, he spent the summer trying to find another club, couldn't find one and signed a 1-year deal to come back here. Very reminiscent of Matthews.
  • Options
    Really don’t understand what’s happened to him this year, he looked a cut above anything we’ve had in a while last season but is nowhere near that standard this year. Is he not fit? Not bothered? Not good enough? I’m not really sure but he needs to cut out the mistakes an experienced defender shouldn’t be making at all. 
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:
    Really don’t understand what’s happened to him this year, he looked a cut above anything we’ve had in a while last season but is nowhere near that standard this year. Is he not fit? Not bothered? Not good enough? I’m not really sure but he needs to cut out the mistakes an experienced defender shouldn’t be making at all. 
    My guess (purely speculation) is that while he is still very good at this level he's maybe not quite as good as he thinks he is.

Today's game showed both extremes - when he's switched on and putting in effort he's still great. But he's lost just a little bit more than he had last year and so gets caught out.

In fairness the way he stepped up his game after his error does suggest that he was fully aware he'd cocked up and was trying to make amends... but it's not the first time he's made basic errors for such an experienced player.
  • Options
    No excusing the error from Hector because he should’ve been able to recover it but it would’ve helped massively if Dobbo hadn’t hit a five yard pass at him like it was a 20 yarder.
  • Options
    No excusing the error from Hector because he should’ve been able to recover it but it would’ve helped massively if Dobbo hadn’t hit a five yard pass at him like it was a 20 yarder.
    I think that you need to watch it again because the ball was rolled to him not drilled at him. Hector was just caught on the ball because he, unnecessarily, dwelt on it.
  • Options
    Felt sorry for Hector yesterday, played well outside of the mistake.
    He was playing better yesterday but it still wasn't good enough. He has too many lapses during the game and he gets pulled out of position too easily. Have a look at the highlights from yesterday and look at the free header that Blackpool probably should have scored from, late on. Where is Hector and what exactly was he doing?

• Options
    Plaaayer said:
    Got himself a contract and no real competition for his place.
  • Options
    I don’t feel comfortable with Hector in there. Too slow and ‘languid’ is a good word to describe how he plays. We need better at that position. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also think apart from the error was his best performance this season 
  • Options
    That tells you everything you need to know about him. Shows how bad the other performances must have been.
  • Options
    If you replace him with Ness, you severely downgrade our distribution, is the catch
  • Options
    He was having a good game until the blunder but its one blunder too many now - first time i saw him play was for fulham in the prem and i said to my son, if they don't drop him they will be relegated - he must have been good at some point in his career but he's an accident waiting to happen from what i've seen with my own eyes - makes our number one target in the window very simple - a commanding leader of a centre half. Harsh maybe but just glad we only have him on a one year deal. He has good attributes but too many weaknesses. 
  • Options
    But that doesn’t say much, been fairly crap all season.
  • Options
    I said he should come off when I saw Ness warming up as he'd given it away a few too many times.  I was surprised to see Jones come off tbh.

The whole defence needs to be sharper and firmer
  • Options
    I think that you need to watch it again because the ball was rolled to him not drilled at him. Hector was just caught on the ball because he, unnecessarily, dwelt on it.
    I don’t think it’s that simple. It was a bad pass from Dobson. Yes Hector dawdled and got caught but there’s really no need for Dobson to give him the ball there when they’re so close together. Moving the ball on there hasn’t created any real space or distance, it’s just passed on the responsibility of dealing with it. You play a pass like that when there’s an extra 5 yards between you to kill the immediate press and they’re too close together for that to happen. You can see what Hector is thinking when he gets it; he immediately looks up to see Asiimwe but he’s very narrow and has a player too close to him so doesn’t want to play the pass. He tries to push with the ball instead and gets it caught under his feet and hasn’t shielded it so he gets done. Ideally Assimwe would have been wider for a return pass but I don’t think he’s expecting Hector to get the ball there either. The biggest error is from Hector messing up with the ball, but he’s also not received much help before or after receiving it, just another example of our defensive shape regularly being all at sea. It’s easy to just blame Hector but there’s a wider issue to be addressed in that we look like we’re not particularly well set off the back of a long ball being played out from their defence, which is fairly troubling. 
  • Options
    Dobbo could have turned with the ball (risky), pass it back to AMB or Hector, or take a few soft touches and let players spread. The pass was a bit too quick and quickly executed.

Hector defended well after this goal so we shouldn't just look at the bad.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    He's playing at times, like he's got his boots on the wrong feet.
    If Ness is back to last year's form then he is a better option, but is he? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think it’s that simple. It was a bad pass from Dobson. Yes Hector dawdled and got caught but there’s really no need for Dobson to give him the ball there when they’re so close together. Moving the ball on there hasn’t created any real space or distance, it’s just passed on the responsibility of dealing with it. You play a pass like that when there’s an extra 5 yards between you to kill the immediate press and they’re too close together for that to happen. You can see what Hector is thinking when he gets it; he immediately looks up to see Asiimwe but he’s very narrow and has a player too close to him so doesn’t want to play the pass. He tries to push with the ball instead and gets it caught under his feet and hasn’t shielded it so he gets done. Ideally Assimwe would have been wider for a return pass but I don’t think he’s expecting Hector to get the ball there either. The biggest error is from Hector messing up with the ball, but he’s also not received much help before or after receiving it, just another example of our defensive shape regularly being all at sea. It’s easy to just blame Hector but there’s a wider issue to be addressed in that we look like we’re not particularly well set off the back of a long ball being played out from their defence, which is fairly troubling. 
    Dobson did exactly what he should have done in that situation, which was to play the way he was facing. Hector could have passed it to the right to Asiimwe or he could have just cleared it, the choice was his. He did neither and we paid the price of his indecision.
    That's too simplistic a way of looking at it, you can still play the wrong pass while trying to play the right way. He could have just gone all the way back to the keeper if he didn't fancy turning, that would have created the space he needed. He also could have played it to Asiimwe himself at the point where Asiimwe was less covered than he was when Hector got the ball. If Hector had played it to Asiimwe he would have received it under a lot of pressure. Maybe he would have got out of it but it's a risky pass. Dawdling and getting tackled is also pretty risky so Hector hasn't helped himself but it's completely the wrong ball from Dobson. What Dobson doesn't realise is the Blackpool player starts sprinting into the press before he even receives the ball, so by the time he moves it too short a distance onto Hector the bloke is motoring and gives him very little time. It's still bad from Hector but there's no need for us to be in that situation either.
  • Options
    Hector is becoming one of those divisive players, like Naby Sarr a few seasons back, when all the good work is undone by a careless mistake.

His distribution in the last couple of games has been very good and a cut above any other centre half we've had for some time, and his general defending is fine, but every game there's an error and it's unfortunate for him how often they've directly led to goals.

Personally I like him and would still start him over the potential replacements. I can't see how coaching will cut out the type of errors he's been making but he's a senior pro and needs to concentrate totally during games.
    Makes too many errors for me and seems to be a player on the way down. 
  • Options
    Dobson did exactly what he should have done in that situation, which was to play the way he was facing. Hector could have passed it to the right to Asiimwe or he could have just cleared it, the choice was his. He did neither and we paid the price of his indecision.
    That's too simplistic a way of looking at it, you can still play the wrong pass while trying to play the right way. He could have just gone all the way back to the keeper if he didn't fancy turning, that would have created the space he needed. He also could have played it to Asiimwe himself at the point where Asiimwe was less covered than he was when Hector got the ball. If Hector had played it to Asiimwe he would have received it under a lot of pressure. Maybe he would have got out of it but it's a risky pass. Dawdling and getting tackled is also pretty risky so Hector hasn't helped himself but it's completely the wrong ball from Dobson. What Dobson doesn't realise is the Blackpool player starts sprinting into the press before he even receives the ball, so by the time he moves it too short a distance onto Hector the bloke is motoring and gives him very little time. It's still bad from Hector but there's no need for us to be in that situation either.
    Players often receive the ball under pressure, which is where one-touch passing comes in and creates space and beats the press. Hector could have passed to Asiimwe, who in turn could have passed to Dobson. Hector's indecision is the only thing that created the problem.
  • Options
    Our fans' tendency to judge defenders solely based on obvious mistakes rather than on overall play is the single most frustrating thing about this entire website 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Our fans' tendency to judge defenders solely based on obvious mistakes rather than on overall play is the single most frustrating thing about this entire website 
    The point is he’s making too many of those obvious mistakes. If it was just a one off then that’s fine it can happen to anyone, but this isn’t the first time this season 

I’d still keep him in the side and hope that he can cut them out. Him and Jones seem to be developing a decent partnership so I wouldn’t change anything yet 
  • Options
    He's SO good the rest of the time though, and does so much to help us play on the front foot. Does everyone not remember Ness senselessly losing possession for the entirety of the Orient game?
  • Options
    He is slow but his reading of the game is very good and he seems to be in the right position at the right time. He is also very calm

The ball was drilled at him but a professional footballer should have done better

i like him and come May, he would have had a good season overall