Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Hector (Page 11 - Signs a NEW one year deal)

Comments

• 1 year deal is fine and leaves us in the same boat next year, theres a limited pool of London clubs he can sign for (assuming he wants to be around home) and will already be the "wrong" side of 30 at the start of this season, he's just as likely to stay on again if we want him. 

And for as much quality as he brought to the defence he wasn't fault free, Ipswich away stands out as his worst game for us so a safety net in terms of his performances over the course of the season.  All signings carry risk we know, but you dont want to hand out a 3 year deal and it turn into an Aneke where youre essentially paying for his retirement for very little back. 

Tie down younger prospects, keep the options open on the older heads. 
  • Not going to criticise our previous back line or those that remain, but Hector seems like the smartest and most experienced of the bunch. He's a calm head most of the time and the kind of player that the youngster Ness needs to learn from. Could be a great back line. 
  • Really pleased with this signing as I think it shows a fair bit of intent by the club. On paper we now have a decent defence only slight concern is it’s the same one as last year hopefully they gel better and concede less this year
  • I would imagine the one year was a sensible compromise. No doubt that he wanted higher wages than we initially offered over a longer term, in the end we upped them (to whatever extent) but reduced the length of contract commitment.

Like others, I'm delighted with this one.
  • AndyG said:
    Really pleased with this signing as I think it shows a fair bit of intent by the club. On paper we now have a decent defence only slight concern is it’s the same one as last year hopefully they gel better and concede less this year
    A lot of our defensive ability pins on the fullbacks, Egbo hasnt really had much of chance to show what he can/ can't do and the LB we bring in which personally (controversial opinion) dont want it to be Sess (at least not as first choice LB) 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Not aimed at any one specifically but I don’t get this ‘has the ability to play at a higher level’. If he did how come he’s playing in League One again next season? Not like he’s not had a chance to find a club at a higher level. For me he’s a decent league one footballer, no longer a Championship one.
    Come on large, you’re a good judge. He just looks classy, and bearing in mind how little he’s played, he looked easily capable of playing at a higher level. 
    And the fact that a player is playing in L1 doesn’t prove that he doesn’t have the ability to player at a higher level. 
    hasn't he already played at a much higher level than we currently sit at??
  • And lets face it, if he might have had Championship interest, but only from say Rotherham or Plymouth, so would have had to weigh up playing in a higher division versus being able to stay in London.
  • Great signing. Hopefully we get a bit of luck with injuries this season and he plays all
    league games at least. 
  • Innes has gone, we need a player that gives out a sense of authority at the back and Hector is the best realistic choice, provided we can afford him given the takeover that never ends.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    Innes has gone, we need a player that gives out a sense of authority at the back and Hector is the best realistic choice, provided we can afford him given the takeover that never ends.
    You ARE aware he's literally just signed another contract yes? That sounds like we can afford it to me...
  • thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    Innes has gone, we need a player that gives out a sense of authority at the back and Hector is the best realistic choice, provided we can afford him given the takeover that never ends.
    You ARE aware he's literally just signed another contract yes? That sounds like we can afford it to me...
    Dunno, maybe we have borrowed the money on the never never.
  • cabbles said:
    Glad he signed up but only a year is disappointing. We were led to believe he had championship interest but the fact he signed with us for a year suggests not. I’m assuming we’d have offered him longer but he is hedging his bets. Hopefully if we go up we’d need better anyway so maybe just a year suits us.
    I think a year is a sensible deal given his injury record.  

Ness looks a decent prospect, but we need one more quality centre back.

Hector, Ness and Terrell isn’t enough.  There might be plans to bring Mitchell in (I believe he can play there), but it’s a big ask 
    What injury record?
  • Elewere is in the reckoning.
  • Don’t forget Elewere think he has a part to play this season 
  • edited June 2023
    I'm okay with this as Holden seems happy. Wasn't as convinced by him as many on here, but in the same way as TT hopefully with a proper pre-season behind him he will improve and could be a very important player next season.

Edit. As others has said, we have some talented youngsters in this position, so a couple of older heads to learn from will be valuable too.
  • With one big unit going in Ryan 'The Doorman' Innis thankfully the other big experienced unit has signed for a year which makes sense so Michael Hector can see if Charlton are still stuck in mid table mediocrity or are contenders at the end of the 23/24 season; or Charlton can see IF Hector's worth the good league 1 wages he will be on apparently ?

I said back in February that Hector would either be a cult hero or a disaster. A hero because he had been highly rated in the past or a disaster because of his lack of game time over the previous year or two.

Pleased with this signing and still hopeful Michael may be a cult hero by the end of this coming season.
  • edited June 2023
    He became a free agent and no Championship club took him, he got turned down by Sheff Weds and ended up with us, 12th in League One at the time. Always thought that would mean we stood a good chance of signing him on a longer deal. It's still an odd one, though. As to me, he's a better player than Lockyer who has been comfortably plying his trade at that level.
  • good news, that confirms we have two talented and experienced central defenders to go with the promising 'home bred' youngsters .. now to sort out the personnel for further up the field
  • That is good news. Absolute gem of a bloke too.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Elewere needs tg show he can do it in competitive games. Pre-season games with little aggression from forwards is a defender's dream who is good on the ball.
  • who said they wasn't happy with him signing?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Not aimed at any one specifically but I don’t get this ‘has the ability to play at a higher level’. If he did how come he’s playing in League One again next season? Not like he’s not had a chance to find a club at a higher level. For me he’s a decent league one footballer, no longer a Championship one.
    Come on large, you’re a good judge. He just looks classy, and bearing in mind how little he’s played, he looked easily capable of playing at a higher level. 
    And the fact that a player is playing in L1 doesn’t prove that he doesn’t have the ability to player at a higher level. 
    hasn't he already played at a much higher level than we currently sit at??
    Part of Fulham’s team that won promotion to the Premier League. 
  • His two worst games for us IMO were agianst stronger sides. Now there could well be other factors in that, including the effect of other players, but I think this may have cast doubts with some championship clubs. It is our gain of course.
  • In one game we shamefully conceded six which skews the stats somewhat.
  • Redhenry said:
    who said they wasn't happy with him signing?

Redhenry said:
    who said they wasn't happy with him signing?
    There's a few.
  • I think the length of contract was the issue, not the player
  • Really good interview which gives some insight into his character and why he made certain career moves.

Glad he stayed.