Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:

Very glad this is gonna be a loan cause I think this has Chris Gunter performance levels written all over it. 

Edun however sounds like a brilliant addition and I hope we can get his signature. Young, has an upside and is the kind of quality we need to get promoted and then stay up in the league above. 

Already mentioned Bonne but I seem to be in the minority about actually being happy to see him back assuming he signs. The head turned comment was just trying to get his new clubs fans on his side/ probably a little poke back at our fans giving him a load of grief. I reckon he could manage 8-10 goals before the end of the season playing with Leaburn up top. 

we're a mid table league 1 outfit lads, I don't know what to tell ya. Until we get a proper owner this is as good as it gets :smiley:
  • Cant Tayo Edun also play Centre-Back and Holding Midfielder if he's joining?
    Would arguably be a waste of his main strengths but yes he could in theory. Kane is also an option at CB and would free up Clare for the holding role if needed.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Oh no! Not Bonne please.. Everyone will go on about the goals he scored.. He should have had 25 goals, the amount of great chances he had. Still believe if he had put away a couple of those we would have stayed up, and might be a different story now! 

But lets get realistic - unless we are paying to wages, this is the pond we are fishing in! 

Well yeah, he's a striker. He probably could have had 25 goals if he scored absolutely every chance and half chance that came his way, but if he did that he'd be Erling Haaland and we wouldn't have had him playing for us. The standard people hold Bonne to is insane, there can't be many players who generate this level of irrational hatred. If Bonne had put away some more of his chances then yes, we might have stayed up, but the only reason we were in the conversation was because of the 11 goals he did score after being brought in as a backup from non-league. No-one else scored in that team. Taylor did when he wasn't crippled or scared of being crippled and Gallagher put some away but they weren't there at the end.
    Here's a fact about Bonne I hadn't realised; not counting this half season where he hasn't really played and isn't complete yet, in his last 5 seasons Bonne has been his club's league top scorer in 4 of them. In two of those he was joint top scorer. He wasn't good for QPR inbetween, but Ipswich signed 25 players last season and used 5 different strikers (including Joe Pigott who was CL transfer darling for a while) and they didn't get more goals out of anyone. Wes Burns equalled him in the league and also scored one in the FA Cup, which Bonne couldn't manage, the big clown. Bonne scores goals. We need goals. We don't have to like him but on paper he's a player we'd be excited about if we hadn't seen him before and decided we hate him (despite him being our top scorer the one year he was here)
    I'd forgotten about Pigott. 2 goals for Ipswich last season, goes on loan to Pompey this season and has so far scored once in the league, back in August.
  • se9addick said:
    Have a Gillingham supporting friend who expects them to announce the signing of Stockley today
    I know he’s not the most popular player here anymore but surely he’s better than League Two?
    He's looked non league for the majority of the season. 
  • Rich Cawley said earlier that there's been no further update on Edun.
  • fitting to have him as part of this worst ever period in our footballing history 
    Not with his name being Bonne.  If it was Pauvre, then absolutely fitting.
  • edited January 2023
    To be honest, I'm not overly fussed about the announcements... If the players have signed, and are already training with the First Team, with an eye on the Barnsley game - Then we can be told about them joining come Saturday @ 2pm when the team sheet is released for all I care.

Keep the other teams guessing for as long as possible is my opinion

Just to add, with regards to Bonne - He was linked under both Garner and Holden, what with being known to the club - I just hope Holden has had a say over the three potential names coming in.
  • To be honest, I'm not overly fussed about the announcements... If the players have signed, and are already training with the First Team, with an eye on the Barnsley game - Then we can be told about them joining come Saturday @ 2pm when the team sheet is released for all I care.

To be honest I doubt many opposition managers are fretting too much about us.
  • To be honest, I'm not overly fussed about the announcements... If the players have signed, and are already training with the First Team, with an eye on the Barnsley game - Then we can be told about them joining come Saturday @ 2pm when the team sheet is released for all I care.

Agree with this, don't see any urgency in formal announcing except to calm the fans who don't think we're signing anyone. If a deal or two is done though, it is slightly odd that we've not announced them. Although Holden said about coming in late today, so maybe photos etc are being done this morning. 
  • Sponsored links:

To be honest I doubt many opposition managers are fretting too much about us.
    Why not? - We've just gone toe to toe with two Premier League teams in the last month (we made teg Hag fret enough to call upon Rashford | Eriksen | Casimero), we've lost just the once under Dean Holden, and we're the sixth highest scorers in the League.
    What's Holden ever done for us?

Agree with this, don't see any urgency in formal announcing except to calm the fans who don't think we're signing anyone. If a deal or two is done though, it is slightly odd that we've not announced them. Although Holden said about coming in late today, so maybe photos etc are being done this morning. 
    Ah yes - I forgot that they'd been given yesterday off

Just to add, with regards to Bonne - He was linked under both Garner and Holden, what with being known to the club - I just hope Holden has had a say over the three potential names coming in.
    I've always thought that would be a pretty interesting move by a club.

Would perhaps be a little easier to manage for a pre-season friendly.
  • United sign Wout Weghorst on loan. A clear sign that Rashford is free to get his dream move to Charlton, having passed his audition on Tuesday.
    Shame they didnt sign him ahead of our game... Weghorst vs Inniss would have been interesting to watch
  • “My Gawd Cawley’s tweeted it’s a done deal”

• edited January 2023
    LegacyFan said:
    Mentioned to my QPR supporting brother in law about Bonne and Kane and his response was ‘we should stay well clear, both bad characters’. So that’s good.

have to see how they do for us but both left QPR under a bit of a cloud.
    Bonne was very good for us .. when Taylor went walk about Bonne stepped up in the championship and done excellent 

Nearly correct but not quite Ronnie:

Most CL members have the memory of a goldfish and are damaged by events over the last... 1 year to 70 years depending on age.

Most had a one day truce against Man United even Oohaah who is like a tourettes victim on crack when it comes to levels of shitness: his own, our fans or our players !

In the Championship when "Lyle Taylor baby" got injured on international duty Bonne stepped up and scored a few goals  and initially we had some wins. Chuks Aneke did his normal pitch to Medical room scenario.

After Covid-lockdown we had Taylor who didn't want to play and Bonne looked overweight and his agent was telling him he would get him a Championship move even if Charlton were relegated. (Took longer but he got a move)
    Despite not being sharp he still scored a couple of goals in the nightmare 9 game end of season when everyone connected with Cafc had a collective cry as we were so poor and useless, post lockdown.

Now since then Bonne has been totally hit and miss, (mainly miss) but for the experts on here if you can get double figures in the Championship then in League 1 IF you get fit mentally and physically you would assume you may still score a few in the mediocre 3rd tier as long as your legs haven't gone.

Difficult to judge but I wonder if Dean Holden could get a revival out of Macaulay Bonne now he has reached the grand old age of  27 !

We need 5 strikers/forwards including Leaburn and 18 year old Kanu so if you add Bonne, Blackett-Taylor and Rak Sakyi to that list then in League 1 you have variety and can mix and match.

I have supported both Jayden and Chuks but Stockley needs a Loan away and Aneke probably needs a session with a psychiatrist to give him belief in his body. Those of you ITK will understand the different health issues that Aneke has faced in his career.

After the Old Trafford love in where Charlton fans/critics/mates/family turned the clocks back it's back to reality and mid table League 1 because that is what we are.
    We can't afford to have a weaker team and squad when the window shuts.   

• Tom Cannon, linked with us on loan from Everton in the summer, has joined Preston.
  • Apparently Mcgrandles decision to leave Lincoln was based on his wish to move back to Scotland. This was greeted with understanding with most of the Lincoln fans.
    That understanding changed to dislike of the player when he  then ended up at Charlton.
    A dislike shared in SE7 having seen that this "Conor McGrandles" is a lucky punter who won his CAFC contract in some sort of raffle, never having previously played association football at any level  :s
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    wmcf123 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Oh no! Not Bonne please.. Everyone will go on about the goals he scored.. He should have had 25 goals, the amount of great chances he had. Still believe if he had put away a couple of those we would have stayed up, and might be a different story now! 

But lets get realistic - unless we are paying to wages, this is the pond we are fishing in! 

Bonne was good before Christmas in the championship.  He fizzled out just like everyone else that season . 
    Wouldn't say he was good, scored a few miss hits, and a decent strike against Derby. Wouldn't say he was good.. More the fact he had some good players around him, putting them on a plate for him

Hello !
    Taking up good positions is what it's all about for strikers.
    I remember BWP missing four one on ones in a game. Fortunately he had Yann to feed him so he had plenty of tap ins.
    You never know Bonne scores a few goals and then we can sell him for a million or two and he can revert to being overweight again and sluggish 👍 

I swear a good striker fitness coach could revive his Career but unfortunately I'm not available as I can't afford the drop in wages.💁🏻‍♂️
  • Bubble said:
    Amazing we have a director of statistically analysis and yet we sign players who haven’t played any games. 

What stats are being evaluated? 
    Cost and nothing else.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    wmcf123 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Bonne was good before Christmas in the championship.  He fizzled out just like everyone else that season . 
    Wouldn't say he was good, scored a few miss hits, and a decent strike against Derby. Wouldn't say he was good.. More the fact he had some good players around him, putting them on a plate for him

Hello !
    I remember BWP missing four one on ones in a game. Fortunately he had Yann to feed him so he had plenty of tap ins.
    You never know Bonne scores a few goals and then we can sell him for a million or two and he can revert to being overweight again and sluggish 👍 

I swear a good striker fitness coach could revive his Career but unfortunately I'm not available as I can't afford the drop in wages.💁🏻‍♂️
    If hes only got a contract until the end of the season we arent selling him for anything 

• DubaiCAFC said:
    wmcf123 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Hello !

If hes only got a contract until the end of the season we arent selling him for anything 

You seem to be discounting and option clause. 
    Is it something you know?
  • edited January 2023
    Bonne is definitely also done. He's not awful, but he isn't going to pushing Leaburn for a starting berth which is what we all wanted to see from a new striker. Better option in this system than Stockley though imo.

Dean Holden will play both 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 in games and during games depending on players on the pitch and the opposition.
    IF Bonne is deal done, as you say then at times both Leaburn and Bonne will be the two up front in a 3-5-2.

You heard it hear first.

Edun better be done as the Left footed left back is so long overdue. 

• I think Macaulay Bonne will be a great signing.

Looking at the goals he scored for Ipswich last season, there was some cracking goals there.

For whatever reason Stockley looks finished. He is only a shadow of the player we had last season,
    and Chuks career is so injury prone, that I can see him being retired off in the not too distant future.

Bonne is an improvement on both Stockley and Aneke.
    At the very least he will score more than the 2 goals that Stockley has scored this season.

So welcome aboard Macaulay.

• Why does it take us so bloody long to do anything?
  • I think Macaulay Bonne will be a great signing.

Looking at the goals he scored for Ipswich last season, there was some cracking goals there.

For whatever reason Stockley looks finished. He is only a shadow of the player we had last season,
    and Chuks career is so injury prone, that I can see him being retired off in the not too distant future.

Bonne is an improvement on both Stockley and Aneke.
    At the very least he will score more than the 2 goals that Stockley has scored this season.

So welcome aboard Macaulay.

I think he'll be an upgrade on Stockley. Supposedly his form tailed off last season because of personal issues.
  • I have to admit one thing about Bonne (being positive). I did use to enjoy his funny swipe-type finishes from the left with his left foot. Think the luck has been used now and can see each one going a bit Corey Curbs Blackett Tyler.
  • edited January 2023
    It's not much of a compliment to Bonne to say he'll be an upgrade on Stockley. Jayden has been so bad this season that I struggle to think of a League One striker who wouldn't be an upgrade. Even if Marquis was coming in, we could say he'd be an upgrade on Stockley.