Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Bonne actually started the post-Championship season pretty well. I recall a cracking goal away to Swindon in the strange (played on a Saturday) EFL Cup game. 
  • edited January 2023
    se9addick said:
    Have a Gillingham supporting friend who expects them to announce the signing of Stockley today
    I know he’s not the most popular player here anymore but surely he’s better than League Two?
    I could be wrong, but I honestly think he used to be. He simply isn't the same player this season; since that back injury. So full of respect for him as a person and think he was a brilliant player for us when he arrived, but he has just been unlucky. I think him signing for them will be him agreeing with that assessment.
  • se9addick said:
    Have a Gillingham supporting friend who expects them to announce the signing of Stockley today
    I know he’s not the most popular player here anymore but surely he’s better than League Two?
    Think you're confusing being a popular player and all round nice bloke, with being a striker who can bag a few goals.
  • I tend to think that this concern about loan rather than perm is overblown. The last few players we paid money for ie DJ, KIrk, Schwartz and Stockley have been relatively disappointing. Stockley not as bad as the others. We have had some great loan players like Bielik, Cullen, Millar , Gallagher, Da Silva, Maatsen and Rak Saki. I think if I was Thomas I would try and utilise the free and loan market almost exclusively too. It makes sound business sense and reduces losses. The key is having a balance and how the manager motivates them. Sessegnon works just as hard as the contracted payers. 
    I think the criticism of Bonne is OTT. He was OK, he definitely knows where the goal is and his success or not will be as much down to what system he plays in and how Holden manages him. The worry would be that they ship out Stockley at the same time and don't replace him because Bonne is the Washington/ Davison replacement , not the Stockley replacement.  
  • se9addick said:
    If he can get back to anything like his ability when he was on loan to us initially and most of last season he’ll be one of the best strikers in L2 (maybe the best). I’m not sure how much faith I have that it’s possible unfortunately.

For Stockley it probably makes sense, Gillingham have money and it is maybe his last chance at a decent contract.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    If Stockley goes we need Bonne + 1 more, if Leaburn goes as well then we need Bonne + 2. If they were seriously considering selling Leaburn then it's madness to let Stockley leave.
    This is why Aneke is causing such a headache. If the plan is to play 433 more often than not, it's unrealistic to want 4 strikers. But if Aneke is one of the three, it's probably not enough. 
    If you look at it Ness, JRS and Leaburn don't count in the squad cap.  It means you can have 2 players for ever position plus another 3.

2 extra strikers and an extra center back give you the option of playing 352 as well and counters the Aneke problem.   

Even excluding Aneke it was criminal to go into the season with 1 senior striker.  Leaburn has, almost single handedly, kept us out of the brown stuff.
    I totally agree, we can comfortably have the numbers, but it's affordability. I'm not sure we can afford a 25/26 man squad. It was definitely criminal to go into the season with only Stockley, because Aneke was injured and Leaburn raw. 

I don't think it's realistic to have 4 wingers and 4 strikers. You could start 3 and have to leave out 5. If we consider 352, it's a formation where we're likely to leave out all wingers. 

I guess one solution is to go with only 3 wingers and 4 strikers, with Leaburn as an option as a RW given he's played there a few times or even Payne. 
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Ultimately he has to go where the money is.
    Mullin is playing at NL level for Wrexham and is certainly a lot higher ability wise.
  • Simonsen said:
    Bonne actually started the post-Championship season pretty well. I recall a cracking goal away to Swindon in the strange (played on a Saturday) EFL Cup game. 
    Was that the on the turn volley? Even Bowyer complimented it.
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    If he can get back to anything like his ability when he was on loan to us initially and most of last season he’ll be one of the best strikers in L2 (maybe the best). I’m not sure how much faith I have that it’s possible unfortunately.

For Stockley it probably makes sense, Gillingham have money and it is maybe his last chance at a decent contract.
    Yep, you could be right ......; at pushing 30, mobility knackered by a problem injury, his ambitions will perhaps be tailored to what is best for his family?

• It's Charlton so I am assuming Edun has been dropped as a little more expensive than Kane. We will now have 3 (fit) right footed full backs fighting it out/covering the Right and Left back position. 

That sounds more like us. Bit like what we did at CB and LB during the Summer market.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    If Stockley goes we need Bonne + 1 more, if Leaburn goes as well then we need Bonne + 2. If they were seriously considering selling Leaburn then it's madness to let Stockley leave.
    This is why Aneke is causing such a headache. If the plan is to play 433 more often than not, it's unrealistic to want 4 strikers. But if Aneke is one of the three, it's probably not enough. 
    If you look at it Ness, JRS and Leaburn don't count in the squad cap.  It means you can have 2 players for ever position plus another 3.

2 extra strikers and an extra center back give you the option of playing 352 as well and counters the Aneke problem.   

Even excluding Aneke it was criminal to go into the season with 1 senior striker.  Leaburn has, almost single handedly, kept us out of the brown stuff.
    I totally agree, we can comfortably have the numbers, but it's affordability. I'm not sure we can afford a 25/26 man squad. It was definitely criminal to go into the season with only Stockley, because Aneke was injured and Leaburn raw. 

I don't think it's realistic to have 4 wingers and 4 strikers. You could start 3 and have to leave out 5. If we consider 352, it's a formation where we're likely to leave out all wingers. 

I guess one solution is to go with only 3 wingers and 4 strikers, with Leaburn as an option as a RW given he's played there a few times or even Payne. 
    This is one of the problems we have had since the 18/19 season IMO.  None, or very few, of outer players can "do a job" anywhere other than their very narrow role.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bonne clearly knows where the goal is. He's done it for us before as a youngster. With our new, fresh, running-at-players midfielders (CBT/Fraser/Dobbo/Rak-Sakyi) running balls into him from here, there and everywhere, I reckon he'll do just fine. Hoping we can keep Miles and see the 2 of them feed off each other - could be very productive. I'm up for it! 
  • The only real positive with the Bonne move for me is I’m hoping we get a player who has a point to prove and we may have a manager who can make him see that. 

Really hoping we get Edun in as well as/instead of Kane. 
  • If Stockley goes we need Bonne + 1 more, if Leaburn goes as well then we need Bonne + 2. If they were seriously considering selling Leaburn then it's madness to let Stockley leave.
    Aneke can play in the 10 role too so just have to use him as the luxury option 
    I assume you mean 10 minutes?
  • I'm hoping we sign Wickham. 

Can't stand Bonne as a player. Scores a few goals but makes the entire team worse to the point where we'd score more as a team with him not in it.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

This is one of the problems we have had since the 18/19 season IMO.  None, or very few, of outer players can "do a job" anywhere other than their very narrow role.
    Absolutely, Sess can cover both full-back positions but you'd have to say we've only really got Clare who is versatile. Payne has been used in multiple positions, but I'd argue that's because of a lack of options. 
  • Cant Tayo Edun also play Centre-Back and Holding Midfielder if he's joining?
  • Cant Tayo Edun also play Centre-Back and Holding Midfielder if he's joining?
    I saw this more as the Kane potential role/s if he joins.