Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• I'm now certain one was due to complete last week and pulled out last minute. 

No name, just a forward player (could be a winger or a striker). 

• Isn’t the real story trying to escape relegation?
  • seth plum said:
    Isn’t the real story trying to escape relegation?
    It was a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure escaping is massively relevant now.
  • seth plum said:
    Isn’t the real story trying to escape relegation?
    The real story was, 'why are our players under-achieving?'

• CafcSCP said:
    We're 9 points above relegation, we're unlikely to get dragged in to a scrap and unlikely to make the play offs. No rush to bring players in now imo 
    Our next 4 games are Barnsley, Posh, Bolton and Exeter. Come out of that run with say just 2 or 3 points, and the gap to the bottom 4 will close.
    Come out of that with 9 or 10 points and we are back in the mix.

Hope you’re right but I think it’s fanciful 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I'm now certain one was due to complete last week and pulled out last minute. 

No name, just a forward player (could be a winger or a striker). 

Is this based off any info you have or just guesswork? 
  • Oggy Red said:
    What's this obsession with bloody Ipswich, who cares about any players they sign, I don't...if, and it's a big IF and when we get going will be worth reading, hopefully 🤷‍♂️
    Exactly. Ipswich in recent years always seem to sign about 20 players a season.

They've been a Third Division club all that time.

Despite buying 20 players a season they still managed to get a slower centre back partnership than Inniss and Lavelle in Woolfenden and Keogh. That takes some doing.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    JRS's form drops off again, Kirk continues being Kirk, CBT picks up an injury and has to  start his consistency from scratch again, the midfield trio of Dobson, Fraser and Morgan (that looked great a few weeks back) becomes shite again, Inniss continues his form of league one's best defender/ top serial killer and suddenly we're back flirting with a  relegation battle. 

Yes we've had two great back to back wins but let's not kid ourselves that we don't need much work to do this window. 

Now, announce Bonne and the palace loanee we have/haven't signed 😊
  • Oggy Red said:
    What's this obsession with bloody Ipswich, who cares about any players they sign, I don't...if, and it's a big IF and when we get going will be worth reading, hopefully 🤷‍♂️
    Exactly. Ipswich in recent years always seem to sign about 20 players a season.

They've been a Third Division club all that time.

They only started signing all the best L1 players last season…..& this year they are consequently looking nailed on for promotion.

I’d personally say their strategy has been a success.
  • Do think people are massively overplaying our chances of going down. We're crap but we aren't in the worst 4 teams in this tinpot league
    We're a pretty poor side and have been amongst the worst teams of late. There are certainly teams with worse squads.

Our defence needs strengthening.
  • Do think people are massively overplaying our chances of going down. We're crap but we aren't in the worst 4 teams in this tinpot league
    On paper no but a few injuries/suspensions or a bad run of form and we could very easily be sucked back in.
  • If if's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all be a lot better off...🤷‍♂️
    We're a pretty poor side and have been amongst the worst teams of late. There are certainly teams with worse squads.

Yet we are still in touch of the play offs …. 

Much tougher heading up than down. 

We're 9 points off playoffs and coincidentally 9 off the relegation spots too. If mathematically that makes us "safe" then by the same logic we're not touching the play offs either.

Two weeks ago we were looking over our shoulders with genuine concern. We need to make sure that we are safe and home first and foremost, even if that means loans and freebies as a make-do.
  • What we know so far is that we are being punted around deepest darkest Texas in the hope that some people can raise £75k investment packages ( chicken feed in investment terms ) Our current owner is looking for a way out. Anyone that thinks we are going to be making any landmark signings are as delusional as our owner.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    We’re 19pts off 50 which should be safety and have 19 games left.  I’m probably going against the grain here, but do we need to bring anyone in?  Providing Leaburn isn’t sold and doesn’t get injured, I think at most, we need a forward as cover.  

Between the rest of the squad, even if we offload Stockley, Mansfield & Kirk for example, I think we have enough to stay up.  This isn’t me advocating there’s an appropriate level of talent, it’s still massively off being able to get us out this division, but I would rather we don’t risk bringing in another Mansfield or Aneke in Jan, just for the sake of it, thus impacting next season.  

For me, getting rid of a few like Stockley, JFC, Mansfield and Kirk would be a good window.  We’re not going up.  We’ve probably got enough in the tank to stay up.  Why not shed some of the mediocrity that’s clogged up the squad and finally, do a proper plan for 23/24?  Unless something really good comes along, I think any additions with contracts until the end of the season would be a risk 
    We have got 3 squad spaces free.  We have no cover at left back, no viable alternative at center foward or winger if any of the front 3 get knack.  Even if it's just 3 loans I want those spaces.

If JRS and Sessegnon were recalled and Leaburn flogged or injured we would be up shit street.
    Mad that people are already trying to justify a transfer window if we sign no one at all. 

We had a rubbish squad leftover from summer, if we sign no-one we enter february with it even worse. 
    This in spades.

We started the season light up front, and now with Aneke breaking down even before he steps on the pitch some people don't even mind if Stockley goes and not replaced !!!!

Jesus. Some people are mad and/or delusional. Do they not have memories of what happened last season when we were playing Kanu & Burstow for 6 weeks because Washington, Stockley AND Aneke were all out injured. 

What happens in Feb 2and when Leaburn pulls his hammy & us out for 2 months. Oh Yes, we go back to playing JRS & DJ up front. That worked well didnt it. 

I give up. 
    Keep your knickers on, who said he shouldn't be replaced?
  • Sponsored links:

• I appreciate what Holden says but the longer it goes on without us signing the more worried I will get. Especially when the sales are happening such as JFC.
    Totally agree. I thought we had learned the lesson of leaving our business until the last minute. Other clubs, Plymouth, Bolton, Barnsley etc seem to be able to sign players, why not us? Beginning to think we have been sold a pup. 
    Woof, woof. 
  • supaclive said:
    @cafcfan1990 if you think getting rid of three or four players currently with our injuries makes sense without getting replacements in at the same time or you know what, BEFORE we let players go then in my opinion that is suicide.

The squad was light already.

JFC, Stockley, Mac (played yesterday!), Kirk - despite their limitations will all be needed between now and May to keep us in this division if we don't get replacements. 

This is a tried and tested path we've been down before and why blind faith is installed I have no idea.

"Wait and see"
    "It's only X days into the window"

This has been trotted out for the last 3 windows.

We have every right to be sceptical of our owner!
    Scott has already said that no one will be leaving until we had people through the door & only then would fringe players be let go.

No I didn't believe it either.
  • supaclive said:
    @cafcfan1990 if you think getting rid of three or four players currently with our injuries makes sense without getting replacements in at the same time or you know what, BEFORE we let players go then in my opinion that is suicide.

The squad was light already.

JFC, Stockley, Mac (played yesterday!), Kirk - despite their limitations will all be needed between now and May to keep us in this division if we don't get replacements. 

This is a tried and tested path we've been down before and why blind faith is installed I have no idea.

"Wait and see"
    "It's only X days into the window"

This has been trotted out for the last 3 windows.

We have every right to be sceptical of our owner!
    Scott has already said that no one will be leaving until we had people through the door & only then would fringe players be let go.

No I didn't believe it either.
    That’s not what was said. Scott said that there was no requirement for players to leave before signing someone. They were looking to move on fringe players.
  • 138 new posts but no actual news?
    Takeover thread is back to normal now. 
  • edited January 2023
    Comes across well.

Said we will be doing early business.
    No-one will leave until we have added to the squad
    Those that do leave will be fringe players only.
    There are funds to spend.
    I have not watched Andy Scott's first interview, but this is apparently what he said::

1: There's four league matches in January, I would say if we don't have anyone in by the second match then it is not 'early'.

2: JFC has left, we have added no one. 

3: No matter what people think if his ability, or if he should have played more, he was a fringe player.

4: Remains to be seen. But I think if funds were available we would have been able to bring someone in early, instead of waiting for prices to reduce.

• Comes across well.

I have not watched Andy Scott's first interview, but this is apparently what he said::

1: There's four league matches in January, I would say if we don't have anyone in by the second match then it is not 'early'.

3: No matter what people think if his ability, or if he should have played more, he was a fringe player.

4: Remains to be seen. But I think if funds were available we would have been able to bring someone in early, instead of waiting for prices to reduce.

Bringing people in and having funds avaliable aren't the same thing.  I would be shocked if we spend a transfer fee.  I would be shocked if we don't bring in at least 3.
  • There are funds to spend....on free transfers and loans. 

Someone figure that one out. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Comes across well.

Bringing people in and having funds avaliable aren't the same thing.  I would be shocked if we spend a transfer fee.  I would be shocked if we don't bring in at least 3.
    3 in and 3 out?   That won't help the overall position with the squad.   We will end up either light at left back, centre forward or somewhere else - I would hazard a guess at wide midfield.

Kirk, DJ and Stockley out?   All 3 on decent salaries and decent transfer fees.   They'll be replaced with loans or free signings.   Again I say,,,, I wouldn't be against Bonne or Wickham but Wickham on paper is not any better/safer bet than Aneke - the last half a season has been an anomaly and Bonne's goalscoring record is worse than Stockley's.

We are simply polishing turds and it'll mean we won't go down, but let's all be honest, we'll be way, way, way short of being able to put together a side for a promotion push next season.    Which is what a club with the history, size and ambitions of Charlton should be doing, at the very least.....
  • edited January 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Comes across well.

I am pretty certain we will be bringing in players, firstly because it would be madness not to, and secondly there has been enough 'smoke' around this put out there to let you know deals are in the pipeline.

The quality of these players is the real question. Are the 'funds to spend' on transfer fees, signing on fees for frees, or has the wage budget been increased considerably etc