Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• There are funds to spend....on free transfers and loans. 

Someone figure that one out. 
    Neither of which are truly "free".  Loans often attract a fee plus all or part of the loanee's wages.  Free transfers often attract a signing on fee/bonus.  Plus you have to factor in the new additions wages.  Just hope there really are funds there.

It may puzzle you but really, it doesn't take much working out.
    In the same way as there's no such thing as a free lunch, there's no such thing as a transfer that's free.

I don't need to detail it here but a little simple research will soon explain that loan transfers can cost a loan fee or/plus player wages. And permanent transfers always cost a signing-on fee plus usual expenses.

• 138 new posts but no actual news?
    Takeover thread is back to normal now. 
    Really? Haven’t been on there lately but I notice there’s 225 No News posts, so seems a bit iffy to me.

Loan fees , Agent fees , signing on fees there no such thing as a free transfer or free loan anymore 

Loan fees , Agent fees , signing on fees there no such thing as a free transfer or free loan anymore 
    Chaps.   Let's not try and be clever.   The "loans" or "free" transfers of course won't be FREE, but they will be cheaper than Stockley, Kirk and DJ who all came with transfer fees and pretty decent wages.

Again, even if they cost the same, it's hardly a sign of intent now is it and it will leave us with a lot to do for next season.    I can't believe the same apologists are again supporting the current regime despite continued failings for 2 1/2 years now.

I'm not going to go all "Golfie" on you, but seriously, the same people despite all the evidence for the last two seasons want to believe all has changed.   You can say it's only the 9th January as long as you want but if Bonne, Wickham and a loan left back are what we get in.   It doesn't need Andy Scott to do.   Surely.....?
  • So correct me if I am wrong but I just found out now that apparently free transfers are not free. This revelation has me shook, anyone able to explain more?

;)  
  • edited January 2023
    138 new posts but no actual news?
    Really? Haven’t been on there lately but I notice there’s 225 No News posts, so seems a bit iffy to me.
    Oh I meant its more a sprinkle of genuine information then loads of waffle :smile:

Tbh Ive just noticed I posted in the wrong thread haha! Apologies!
  • 138 new posts but no actual news?
    Oh I meant its more a sprinkle of genuine information then loads of waffle :smile:

Tbh Ive just noticed I posted in the wrong thread haha! Apologies!
    That’s ok, everyone else just talks about anything other than the thread title. So, you’re in good company;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    What's this obsession with bloody Ipswich, who cares about any players they sign, I don't...if, and it's a big IF and when we get going will be worth reading, hopefully 🤷‍♂️
    Exactly. Ipswich in recent years always seem to sign about 20 players a season.

They've been a Third Division club all that time.

And they still are. 
  • Those players they bought in the summer of 2021 were a lot better than Cook made then look, as shown by the form since McKenna took over. They beat us 4-0 at the end of last season, which was a fair reflection of the gap between the clubs even before the summer 2022 window.
  • Ben18 said:
    Gilbey not in the Stevenage squad this afternoon. He’s played in previous rounds of the FA Cup this season for them. Injured or recall 
    He injured done his hamstring in training 
    Ben18 said:
    Gilbey not in the Stevenage squad this afternoon. He’s played in previous rounds of the FA Cup this season for them. Injured or recall 
    He injured done his hamstring in training 
    Hope he is not in the sick room giving Chuks bad ideas.
  • NabySarr said:
    I'd rather bring in 2/3 permanent of real quality for next season rather than 5/6 crap frees and loans
    Agree. Should start with Sessegnon, his contract is up in the summer and Fulham are staying up so aren’t going to keep him. Should be all over that now before there’s more competition in the summer 
    Doesn’t often work like that in the real world. A player in his position can take his time and see what offers come in. I’ll be surprised if he’s playing in L1 next season.
  • supaclive said:
    kodfish said:
    Oggy Red said:
    What's this obsession with bloody Ipswich, who cares about any players they sign, I don't...if, and it's a big IF and when we get going will be worth reading, hopefully 🤷‍♂️

And they still are. 
    Let's not mix fact with fiction.   They got bought by a big American Pension fund IN APRIL 2021.   Hired the most impressive on paper candidate from the lower leagues in Paul Cook (IN MARCH 2021) and it didn't work out.   Regrouped, bought some solid players, got rid of some of last year's players and are now third in division 1, 2 points outside the automatic places and 9 points ahead of 4th.  Their ownership have owned them for less than 2 years.

Isn't what has happened with them, what we want for Charlton?   New owners who add funds and actually try and get us out of this god awful division?   Surely that's what we are wanting.   Ipswich are much closer to achieving this than us.   No sane Charlton fan can want what we have now?    We all know that it will take lots of money to turn this club around and get us into the Championship?

I can't believe people moan or say look at Ipswich, they're in league 1 just like us.   They're trying to get out of Division 1 and it will take LOTS of money to take on Plymouth, Derby, Sheff Wed, Ipswich et al - that's just reality.... 

Are Plymouth spending lots of money?
  • Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    I'd rather bring in 2/3 permanent of real quality for next season rather than 5/6 crap frees and loans
    Agree. Should start with Sessegnon, his contract is up in the summer and Fulham are staying up so aren’t going to keep him. Should be all over that now before there’s more competition in the summer 
    Doesn’t often work like that in the real world. A player in his position can take his time and see what offers come in. I’ll be surprised if he’s playing in L1 next season.
    Yes he is probably too good for us. But it would be nice if we tried to offer him a London option where he is already settled, with guaranteed first team football. We are probably only going to bring in average at best players this window so it would be great if we could at least try and keep some of the good players we have now like Sessegnon and Dobson 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stockley apparently is a loan, which begs the question… why are we not just bloody selling him? I can’t imagine he would be hard to get a fee for 
  • Stockley apparently is a loan, which begs the question… why are we not just bloody selling him? I can’t imagine he would be hard to get a fee for 
    To be fair they are bottom of the football league so I would imagine most players going there would be loans with view to a permanent if they stay up. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I'm now certain one was due to complete last week and pulled out last minute. 

No name, just a forward player (could be a winger or a striker). 

Is this based off any info you have or just guesswork? 
    Told by someone last week that the EFL had received paperwork for a "forward player" joining us. 

Then it went deftly quiet but the person is adamant it happened. 
  • edited January 2023
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Comes across well.

Said we will be doing early business.
    No-one will leave until we have added to the squad
    Those that do leave will be fringe players only.
    There are funds to spend.
    I have not watched Andy Scott's first interview, but this is apparently what he said::

1: There's four league matches in January, I would say if we don't have anyone in by the second match then it is not 'early'.

2: JFC has left, we have added no one. 

3: No matter what people think if his ability, or if he should have played more, he was a fringe player.

4: Remains to be seen. But I think if funds were available we would have been able to bring someone in early, instead of waiting for prices to reduce.

Bringing people in and having funds avaliable aren't the same thing.  I would be shocked if we spend a transfer fee.  I would be shocked if we don't bring in at least 3.
    3 in and 3 out?   That won't help the overall position with the squad.   We will end up either light at left back, centre forward or somewhere else - I would hazard a guess at wide midfield.

Kirk, DJ and Stockley out?   All 3 on decent salaries and decent transfer fees.   They'll be replaced with loans or free signings.   Again I say,,,, I wouldn't be against Bonne or Wickham but Wickham on paper is not any better/safer bet than Aneke - the last half a season has been an anomaly and Bonne's goalscoring record is worse than Stockley's.

We are simply polishing turds and it'll mean we won't go down, but let's all be honest, we'll be way, way, way short of being able to put together a side for a promotion push next season.    Which is what a club with the history, size and ambitions of Charlton should be doing, at the very least.....
    Now JFC has gone we have 3 spaces in the squad.  I expect a net increase, from now, of 3.  

Next season is 100% dependent on who owns us bu then, isn't it? 
    If we could get a fee for him we wouldn't be selling him.  No way is he going to give up he last 18 months on his contract to sign for a club that could be in the national league in 4 months time either.
    Loan at stockleys request? There is a chance that gillingham could be non league next year. 
  • edited January 2023
    Scoham said:

Does that mean both Stockley and DJ are going to Gillingham on their best behaviour 😀

Or should it read:
    Stockley and DJ could be going to Gillingham and Mansfield respectively  👍
  • sm said:
    supaclive said:
    kodfish said:
    Oggy Red said:

And they still are. 
    Let's not mix fact with fiction.   They got bought by a big American Pension fund IN APRIL 2021.   Hired the most impressive on paper candidate from the lower leagues in Paul Cook (IN MARCH 2021) and it didn't work out.   Regrouped, bought some solid players, got rid of some of last year's players and are now third in division 1, 2 points outside the automatic places and 9 points ahead of 4th.  Their ownership have owned them for less than 2 years.

Isn't what has happened with them, what we want for Charlton?   New owners who add funds and actually try and get us out of this god awful division?   Surely that's what we are wanting.   Ipswich are much closer to achieving this than us.   No sane Charlton fan can want what we have now?    We all know that it will take lots of money to turn this club around and get us into the Championship?

I can't believe people moan or say look at Ipswich, they're in league 1 just like us.   They're trying to get out of Division 1 and it will take LOTS of money to take on Plymouth, Derby, Sheff Wed, Ipswich et al - that's just reality.... 

Are Plymouth spending lots of money?
    Not lots of money, but they have a MUCH better squad than us as they haven't been woefully mismanaged for the last umpteen years!

So, you want us to take this squad, spend no money and get promoted in the next 2 years?

Righty-ho.....