Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• PWADDICK said:
    Maybe I’m just dramatic but I feel like signing a player who has openly mocked the club as really poor form
    On the same social media account that our 'fans' were messaging him saying stuff like you're sh*t we don't want you here etc. 

Cringeworthy even of true
  • JonT_Abs said:
    Have we paid 300k to bring Purrington back yet? 
    If we'd kept him and Famewo I think we'd be much better placed in the table.
  • What was the Nixon rumours about us today? 
    Article on the takeover, Lenegan family are trying to buy the club.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20973954/charlton-athletic-lenagan-family-rugby-league-wigan-warriors/amp/
  • Some decent players switched between centre half and centre forward. John Charles, Dublin and Sutton to name a few. 
    Ronnie Moore 
  • Oggy Red said:
    We're 9 points above relegation, we're unlikely to get dragged in to a scrap and unlikely to make the play offs. No rush to bring players in now imo 
    Our next 4 games are Barnsley, Posh, Bolton and Exeter. Come out of that run with say just 2 or 3 points, and the gap to the bottom 4 will close.
    Just supposing we won them all ....... we'd be close to the playoffs! 
    Stranger things happen in football. 

(oh, just a minute - the men in white coats are knocking at my door)  :p

You'll get a ban on here for being optimistic. Can't have that sort of talk we want doom and gloom.
  • edited January 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    We're 9 points above relegation, we're unlikely to get dragged in to a scrap and unlikely to make the play offs. No rush to bring players in now imo 
    Our next 4 games are Barnsley, Posh, Bolton and Exeter. Come out of that run with say just 2 or 3 points, and the gap to the bottom 4 will close.
    Just supposing we won them all ....... we'd be close to the playoffs! 
    Stranger things happen in football. 

(oh, just a minute - the men in white coats are knocking at my door)  :p

😉
  • supaclive said:
    @cafcfan1990 if you think getting rid of three or four players currently with our injuries makes sense without getting replacements in at the same time or you know what, BEFORE we let players go then in my opinion that is suicide.

The squad was light already.

JFC, Stockley, Mac (played yesterday!), Kirk - despite their limitations will all be needed between now and May to keep us in this division if we don't get replacements. 

This is a tried and tested path we've been down before and why blind faith is installed I have no idea.

"Wait and see"
    "It's only X days into the window"

This has been trotted out for the last 3 windows.

We have every right to be sceptical of our owner!
    JFC is the only one who has gone and he's barely played, apart from cup competitions which we are pretty much out of (wouldn't have started Tues anyway). Do we even need a CM to replace him? Yes, I'd like one if we can bring in a bit of quality but in terms of like for like, what would be the point in signing another Nile John?

Mac is pretty much disliked universally. Yes he played yesterday but Wollacott shouldn't be far away. There is always the option to get a keeper in on a short-term emergency loan so even if he left tomorrow I can't see us being weaker. 

I also think we can afford to lose Lavelle with Thomas and O'Connell back and Ness involved. I agree on any of the others. I'm not fussed if Stockley, Kirk or DJ leave, but I would want someone in first. 

There's no blind faith but I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over players who do not improve us, regardless of whether the squad was light. It was a bit like when Claydon left on loan. Yes, he was an option at left-back but not a very good one so it made no difference either way IMO. 
  • One week in and the only talk is about players leaving not joining. 

Investment, what investment?
    Which ones are you bothered about though? You were continually slating JFC, everyone criticises Mac and earlier today you said you wished "Garner had the guts to dump Stockley like Holden" has. 

We've got 3 keepers so Mac isn't needed. JFC barely played and Stockley has done nothing. When one of the main players leave it's more reason to be concerned but not the players who have been linked away. 
    The focus should be on players coming in. We need reinforcements. 

Seems like we'd rather focus on getting players out the door which points to more cost cutting. 
     I don't think we can judge on cost cutting yet. We now have 3 keepers which is unnecessary and JFC wasn't playing. If we sell Stockley without signing a striker then I'd be concerned, but at the moment it's OTT panicking. 
  • supaclive said:
    @cafcfan1990 if you think getting rid of three or four players currently with our injuries makes sense without getting replacements in at the same time or you know what, BEFORE we let players go then in my opinion that is suicide.

JFC, Stockley, Mac (played yesterday!), Kirk - despite their limitations will all be needed between now and May to keep us in this division if we don't get replacements. 

This is a tried and tested path we've been down before and why blind faith is installed I have no idea.

"Wait and see"

JFC is the only one who has gone and he's barely played, apart from cup competitions which we are pretty much out of (wouldn't have started Tues anyway). Do we even need a CM to replace him? Yes, I'd like one if we can bring in a bit of quality but in terms of like for like, what would be the point in signing another Nile John?

Mac is pretty much disliked universally. Yes he played yesterday but Wollacott shouldn't be far away. There is always the option to get a keeper in on a short-term emergency loan so even if he left tomorrow I can't see us being weaker. 

I also think we can afford to lose Lavelle with Thomas and O'Connell back and Ness involved. I agree on any of the others. I'm not fussed if Stockley, Kirk or DJ leave, but I would want someone in first. 

There's no blind faith but I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over players who do not improve us, regardless of whether the squad was light. It was a bit like when Claydon left on loan. Yes, he was an option at left-back but not a very good one so it made no difference either way IMO. 
    We already have a small squad and people are happy with our squad getting EVEN smaller without replacements in first. 

We're doing the window backwards and again will find ourselves short in Feb when injuries hit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:

"Wait and see"

We're doing the window backwards and could find ourselves short in Feb when injuries hit.
  • supaclive said:

"Wait and see"

We already have a small squad and people are happy with our squad getting EVEN smaller without replacements in first. 

We're doing the window backwards and again will find ourselves short in Feb when injuries hit. 
    You may well be right, but unfortunately letting players go first allows whoever is paying to free up the wage fund. If they bring players in but are then stuck with the unwanted ones they will be spending more than they wish.

In an ideal world I agree with you, but Charlton really hasn’t been that for 20 years. It’s a judge it at the end of the month job this one I think.

What’s pleasing is that Holden is showing there is clear talent in some of the players we already have here, we’ve just not seen it enough!
  • We had about eight midfielders on the books. Letting one go isn’t going to hurt us.
    Exactly, realistically we could lose Mac, Lavelle and JFC without being harmed. Their replacements need to be other positions like a LB. Its when others go without being replaced that it becomes an issue, even if it’s the likes of Stockley or Aneke who aren’t contributing enough. 
  • supaclive said:

"Wait and see"

That is because the new players wages have to come out of the ones who leave, so they have to go first.
    There is no transfer budget otherwise.
  • Gilbey not in the Stevenage squad this afternoon. He’s played in previous rounds of the FA Cup this season for them. Injured or coming back?
  • Ben18 said:
    Gilbey not in the Stevenage squad this afternoon. He’s played in previous rounds of the FA Cup this season for them. Injured or coming back?
    Injured
  • Ben18 said:
    Gilbey not in the Stevenage squad this afternoon. He’s played in previous rounds of the FA Cup this season for them. Injured or recall 
    He injured done his hamstring in training 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ben18 said:
    Gilbey not in the Stevenage squad this afternoon. He’s played in previous rounds of the FA Cup this season for them. Injured or recall 
    Thanks Ronnie
  • Ben18 said:
    So he is coming back then 🤣
  • Are Ipswich doing what they did last time and signing about 30 players? 
  • "Striker becomes second January addition"

Now that's just being greedy when some of us haven't made one addition yet.
  • We’re 19pts off 50 which should be safety and have 19 games left.  I’m probably going against the grain here, but do we need to bring anyone in?  Providing Leaburn isn’t sold and doesn’t get injured, I think at most, we need a forward as cover.  

Between the rest of the squad, even if we offload Stockley, Mansfield & Kirk for example, I think we have enough to stay up.  This isn’t me advocating there’s an appropriate level of talent, it’s still massively off being able to get us out this division, but I would rather we don’t risk bringing in another Mansfield or Aneke in Jan, just for the sake of it, thus impacting next season.  

For me, getting rid of a few like Stockley, JFC, Mansfield and Kirk would be a good window.  We’re not going up.  We’ve probably got enough in the tank to stay up.  Why not shed some of the mediocrity that’s clogged up the squad and finally, do a proper plan for 23/24?  Unless something really good comes along, I think any additions with contracts until the end of the season would be a risk 
  • Billyboy said:
    Who is mansfield ?
    Jaiyesimi