Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    We’re 19pts off 50 which should be safety and have 19 games left.  I’m probably going against the grain here, but do we need to bring anyone in?  Providing Leaburn isn’t sold and doesn’t get injured, I think at most, we need a forward as cover.  

Between the rest of the squad, even if we offload Stockley, Mansfield & Kirk for example, I think we have enough to stay up.  This isn’t me advocating there’s an appropriate level of talent, it’s still massively off being able to get us out this division, but I would rather we don’t risk bringing in another Mansfield or Aneke in Jan, just for the sake of it, thus impacting next season.  

For me, getting rid of a few like Stockley, JFC, Mansfield and Kirk would be a good window.  We’re not going up.  We’ve probably got enough in the tank to stay up.  Why not shed some of the mediocrity that’s clogged up the squad and finally, do a proper plan for 23/24?  Unless something really good comes along, I think any additions with contracts until the end of the season would be a risk 
    We have got 3 squad spaces free.  We have no cover at left back, no viable alternative at center foward or winger if any of the front 3 get knack.  Even if it's just 3 loans I want those spaces.

If JRS and Sessegnon were recalled and Leaburn flogged or injured we would be up shit street.
    Mad that people are already trying to justify a transfer window if we sign no one at all. 

We had a rubbish squad leftover from summer, if we sign no-one we enter february with it even worse. 
    But if that happened how would you vent your mock outrage at everything in life?  You would feel dead inside.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    We’re 19pts off 50 which should be safety and have 19 games left.  I’m probably going against the grain here, but do we need to bring anyone in?  Providing Leaburn isn’t sold and doesn’t get injured, I think at most, we need a forward as cover.  

Between the rest of the squad, even if we offload Stockley, Mansfield & Kirk for example, I think we have enough to stay up.  This isn’t me advocating there’s an appropriate level of talent, it’s still massively off being able to get us out this division, but I would rather we don’t risk bringing in another Mansfield or Aneke in Jan, just for the sake of it, thus impacting next season.  

For me, getting rid of a few like Stockley, JFC, Mansfield and Kirk would be a good window.  We’re not going up.  We’ve probably got enough in the tank to stay up.  Why not shed some of the mediocrity that’s clogged up the squad and finally, do a proper plan for 23/24?  Unless something really good comes along, I think any additions with contracts until the end of the season would be a risk 
    We have got 3 squad spaces free.  We have no cover at left back, no viable alternative at center foward or winger if any of the front 3 get knack.  Even if it's just 3 loans I want those spaces.

If JRS and Sessegnon were recalled and Leaburn flogged or injured we would be up shit street.
    Mad that people are already trying to justify a transfer window if we sign no one at all. 

We had a rubbish squad leftover from summer, if we sign no-one we enter february with it even worse. 
    Not trying to justify it, merely pointing out that other than getting six month deals in as cover, we run the risk of impacting next season.  Safety is key and I think we’ll have enough as it stands, maybe bring in one or two.  But I’m not confident offering out 1 and a half or 2 year contracts based on the last few years 
  • We are supposed to be getting new owners who should be showing intent.

If you are seriously saying let's just get rid of players you must have rocks in your head!
  • With so many games to go, we shouldn't be writing off a play off place, even if it is unlikely. But we are going to need some decent additions which we have no evidence of happening yet. In terms of relegation, we shoud be ok but a few injuries in certain positions as we are now and we can't rule it out.
  • edited January 2023
    MarcusH26 said:

sam3110 said:
    Are Ipswich doing what they did last time and signing about 30 players? 
    Could push Ladapo down the pecking order.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    It is an interesting one. Realistically we are not going up or down this season, signings or not, so you can see the reasoning for not pushing it.

But, the club needs a lift and it needs excitement and it needs momentum going into next season so I think a couple of exciting signings (Including a striker) will help lift the season and encourage the fans things are moving in the right direction and convince players in the summer that we are a good club to join.
    We desperately need a couple of bodies, the right bodies in the right places, but I would be shocked if we paid a fee and gave anyone a 3.5 year deal like we did with Chuks and Fraser last January.  And DJ the year before.

For what it's worth I believe the original left back target is off but a different one is close and could happen tomorrow.  

Also Bonne (to the end of the season)  AND Wickham (18 month highly incentive based contract) are both possible.

JRS being recalled is now less likely as they were worried we would stick with 352.
    Is it the Palace left back? I presume that Shane Ferguson won't happen now. He started for Rotherham yesterday.
  • cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

Not trying to justify it, merely pointing out that other than getting six month deals in as cover, we run the risk of impacting next season.  Safety is key and I think we’ll have enough as it stands, maybe bring in one or two.  But I’m not confident offering out 1 and a half or 2 year contracts based on the last few years 
    Sign good players and I hope they would impact next season yes. 

Fraser was a january signing. We can sign players with beyond 6 months time in mind. 
  • cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

Sign good players and I hope they would impact next season yes. 

Fraser was a january signing. We can sign players with beyond 6 months time in mind. 
    Fraser was also a deadline day signing, proving you may have to wait to get the players you want.
  • Sponsored links:

• Do they ever stop signing players?
  • Same few people offering what ifs and ranting on about it. Rant when/if it happens or doesn't -depending on what you are winding yourselves up about. January 8 ffs.
  • Based on what we’ve seen over the past 2 years, I prefer to maintain low expectations from any transfer window as far as Charlton are concerned, be it 9th January or the afternoon/evening of 31st January. We’ve heard all the words before and then seen the deeds, or lack of more like. I always hope to be pleasantly surprised but……....
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

This in spades.

We started the season light up front, and now with Aneke breaking down even before he steps on the pitch some people don't even mind if Stockley goes and not replaced !!!!

Jesus. Some people are mad and/or delusional. Do they not have memories of what happened last season when we were playing Kanu & Burstow for 6 weeks because Washington, Stockley AND Aneke were all out injured. 

What happens in Feb 2and when Leaburn pulls his hammy & us out for 2 months. Oh Yes, we go back to playing JRS & DJ up front. That worked well didnt it. 

I give up. 
    Who? I haven’t seen one person saying they’re happy to lose Stockley without replacing him. 
    @cables did on the previous page.

Although he didnt actually say he'd be happy not replacing Stockley he said that he doesn't mind if Stockley goes & then in the next breath said he didnt want the players leaving to be replaced with players on 18 month / 2.5 year contracts ........implying what?? That we'd not replace Stockley like-for-like  and just rely on a loan ?
  • Major said:
    Same few people offering what ifs and ranting on about it. Rant when/if it happens or doesn't -depending on what you are winding yourselves up about. January 8 ffs.

When doe concern become a rant ?

I'm basically reading posts from genuine fans who, like myself, want the very best for our club within certain financial constraints and who are seriously worried that the rumours if a " new broom/s" intentions are to continue TS's stringent cutback plan. 

Lifers far with more genuine info than me , including Airman, are even mentioning the possible closure of our well respected Academy ! And that any incoming in January will be loanees or freebies....

If those issues fail to set off a warning bell in your head, then so be it. 

But that's not the view of the majority on here IMO.
    When the concerns are imaginary in the first place. Like 'we are not signing anybody', What's the point of creating a made up scenario and then slamming the club for it? Wait til there's a legit reason, surely?

Well we all have opinions. Some have agendas.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

This in spades.

We started the season light up front, and now with Aneke breaking down even before he steps on the pitch some people don't even mind if Stockley goes and not replaced !!!!

Jesus. Some people are mad and/or delusional. Do they not have memories of what happened last season when we were playing Kanu & Burstow for 6 weeks because Washington, Stockley AND Aneke were all out injured. 

What happens in Feb 2and when Leaburn pulls his hammy & us out for 2 months. Oh Yes, we go back to playing JRS & DJ up front. That worked well didnt it. 

I give up. 
    Who? I haven’t seen one person saying they’re happy to lose Stockley without replacing him. 

Although he didnt actually say he'd be happy not replacing Stockley he said that he doesn't mind if Stockley goes & then in the next breath said he didnt want the players leaving to be replaced with players on 18 month / 2.5 year contracts ........implying what?? That we'd not replace Stockley like-for-like  and just rely on a loan ?
    I can't speak for Cabbles but I presumed they meant let's get through the season and then look to make our more major signings in the summer than January panic buys. I don't necessarily agree with that, we need to make some decent signings whenever we can. But they still didn't say anything about Stockley and not replacing him which was your initial accusation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Whilst i understand those saying it's still early in the window and of course it hasn't affected us yet, we have 3 more league games to play in January. Getting a couple of players in key areas in now, ahead of what will be 3 very tough games could be the difference between getting 1 point and 6-7.
  • We'll soon end up with no strikers and a pretty threadbare squad especially given our injuries.

If we approach next season in the same way it will be another struggle. Seems to be very little ambition at present.

• MarcusH26 said:

sam3110 said:
    would take him over most others I've seen mentioned
  • MarcusH26 said:

sam3110 said:
    would take him over most others I've seen mentioned

Could see it happening- they've got Chaplin,Hirst,John-Jules, Jackson , Adhame and Ladapo now so could see Ladapo being allowed to leave. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

This in spades.

I give up. 

I can't speak for Cabbles but I presumed they meant let's get through the season and then look to make our more major signings in the summer than January panic buys. I don't necessarily agree with that, we need to make some decent signings whenever we can. But they still didn't say anything about Stockley and not replacing him which was your initial accusation. 
    In my original post I did say at most, we need a forward for cover of Stockley goes.  Cafc43 pointed out losing Rak Saki and Sessegnon would also leave us exposed as well, he has a point.  My main issue is that I don’t trust us to bring in the right players if we offer anything other than contracts till the end of the season.

my reasons are

We’ve probably got enough to stay up, although I take people’s points about being exposed in certain positions.  

The club is still a s***show.  We don’t know what direction we’re headed after this season, with Holden only appointed until the end of the season, I think that Scott fella is only here until the end of Jan.  In our current state, we’re not set up for long term signings imo

Do you trust our recruitment process based on the last 2 Jan windows?  Stockley, Mansfield, Schwartz, Aneke - even though some of you may point to Fraser, he’s hardly set the world alight, and although he’s scored in the last 2 games, people have a very short term reactionary view of our players.  All Aneke had to do against Exeter was come on and score, he’s being branded a cheat code.  Look at him now.  We don’t know if we’ve finally got the player we all thought we had, just because Fraser has scored 2 goals in the last 2 games.  We have had a failed transfer policy for the last few years, handing out long contracts and wages like 5k a week to Stockley, who’s on the verge of joining Gillingham.  If you don’t think we’ve had a failed transfer policy then look at our league position and some of the dross you’ve had to watch

We need a proper reset.  Jettisoning players like Stockley, Kirk, JFC and whoever else, could be just as important as who we sign.  We’re in this mess because the likes of Aneke, Mansfield etc are contracted to 2024.  If we do have potential owners coming in, getting rid of underperformers sends a good message.

Lastly, Jan windows are notoriously hard to do decent business in for most clubs, even those well run.  

On those points, I wouldn’t be too fussed if the window was one where the mediocrity is moved on, and all we got were short term deals as cover (if needed).

Some of you may see it differently, I understand that 
  • What's this obsession with bloody Ipswich, who cares about any players they sign, I don't...if, and it's a big IF and when we get going will be worth reading, hopefully 🤷‍♂️
    Exactly. Ipswich in recent years always seem to sign about 20 players a season.

They've been a Third Division club all that time.

• I said weeks ago that this window is not the best for recruitment, but we clearly a few players across the team.

The last 2 wins take a little pressure off, but the real story is about the sale of the club.

Will we keep Leaburn? Will Stockley be replaced with a striker who can score a few?

Club is a mess with TS in charge and until he sells and someone rids us of RD, it will remain a mess.

I'm still not hopeful this window will bring any real change.