Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    They won’t let Stockley go until a replacement is in the door. Not been the same player since the back injury unfortunately.
    players will come, just takes time! Most clubs would have been weeks in front of us. And targets we might have had in November might have changed in December.

I agree with all of this but I think Stocks will only go out on loan and so we wil be more choosy when, I.e. only once we have bodies in the door. If Gillingham is to be his destination as mooted, I can't see him moving there permanently when he has a contract with us until at least 2024. It's simply too big a risk for his career with their perilous position..

A loan might well suit all parties if he can go out score some goals and get his confidence back.
  • RedRobin said:
    Can’t see Stockley moving until a new signing is lined up, I think it’s stupid letting him anyway as we only have him and Miles currently so we need two strikers if Stockley goes in my opinion. 
    Agree. I think it should be two players in before we even consider it. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Can’t see Stockley moving until a new signing is lined up, I think it’s stupid letting him anyway as we only have him and Miles currently so we need two strikers if Stockley goes in my opinion. 
    Agree. I think it should be two players in before we even consider it. 

Perhaps the striker deal that fell
    through on Friday was the deal that would let Stockley leave 
  • As poor as he's been, surely Stockley is better than the bottom of league 2.

If he is prepared to drop down a division i'm amazed no other clubs are interested.
  • Window status:  30% closed (ajar)

Signings to date: zero

Loans to date: zero

Biggest rumour to date: senior striker and former captain leaving for bloody Gillingham
  • @RonnieMoore
    Where did you hear about this striker deal on Friday?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    @RonnieMoore
    Plymouth Herald 😏
  • edited January 2023
  • Dazzler21 said:
    @RonnieMoore
    Dickplumb who got very good contacts 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    @RonnieMoore
    Dickplumb who got very good contacts 
     I was told similar and shared on here, but was told 'Forward'. That's my only reason for asking. 
  • There seems to be an assumption that we will be seeing an improved squad as a result of this window.  As this hasn't happened for the last few windows where is this coming from?
  • There seems to be an assumption that we will be seeing an improved squad as a result of this window.  As this hasn't happened for the last few windows where is this coming from?
    I suppose the fact that we have Andy Scott instead of Martin Sandgaard lining up the pins. 
    The assumption breaks down where funding comes into play. Is it the new owner? Is Sandgaard trying to fluff up a dud product to sell or is he just playing silly buggars?
  • Ultimately if we end up with selling/letting go/loaning out 

Mac
    JFC
    Stockley
    DJ
    Kirk

And bring in 5 players, I would say we will have improved the squad as none of the above are first choices and I expect what we bring in will be first team players or regularly included.   However, it will still be light and not ready for the challenges of next year and I doubt many of what we bring in will be long term deals, or even with us at the start of next year!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    As poor as he's been, surely Stockley is better than the bottom of league 2.

If he is prepared to drop down a division i'm amazed no other clubs are interested.
    I would be amazed if they aren't but if you Charlton wage was guaranteed, at least until the summer, why would you move or leave your family behind for 4 or 5 months?  He has young children, does his partner work?

Once you get to a certain age you know your not going to get another crack at the championship, let alone the "big time".

In his shoes would you stay in your current home, assuming you were happy there, on the best money you can earn or move to some where 250 miles away and either move or live out of a hotel for the sake of league 1, over league 2, football?

I doubt players in their late 20s value "playing at the highest level they can" over living where they want and earning money.  Certainly not as much as people make out.
    If it was me personally for just 4-5 months i'd want to play at the best level i could, or if he accepts he's dropping to league 2, then at least playing for a side chasing the play offs, not a side sat in 24th.

He's a footballer who will probably be retired in 5 years, he's got the next 40-50 years of his life to live at home. 
  • supaclive said:
    Ultimately if we end up with selling/letting go/loaning out 

Mac
    JFC
    Stockley
    DJ
    Kirk

And bring in 5 players, I would say we will have improved the squad as none of the above are first choices and I expect what we bring in will be first team players or regularly included.   However, it will still be light and not ready for the challenges of next year and I doubt many of what we bring in will be long term deals, or even with us at the start of next year!
    If we let go of those 5, I'd only expect us to bring in about 3. Mac doesn't replacing and we can lose a CB, but we're a LB down. 

Personally I think we'll see Mac, Stockley and 1 more (probably DJ) leave, with 3 coming in. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    As poor as he's been, surely Stockley is better than the bottom of league 2.

I would be amazed if they aren't but if you Charlton wage was guaranteed, at least until the summer, why would you move or leave your family behind for 4 or 5 months?  He has young children, does his partner work?

Once you get to a certain age you know your not going to get another crack at the championship, let alone the "big time".

In his shoes would you stay in your current home, assuming you were happy there, on the best money you can earn or move to some where 250 miles away and either move or live out of a hotel for the sake of league 1, over league 2, football?

I doubt players in their late 20s value "playing at the highest level they can" over living where they want and earning money.  Certainly not as much as people make out.
    If it was me personally for just 4-5 months i'd want to play at the best level i could, or if he accepts he's dropping to league 2, then at least playing for a side chasing the play offs, not a side sat in 24th.

He's a footballer who will probably be retired in 5 years, he's got the next 40-50 years of his life to live at home. 
    Yeah but you haven't been a professional footballer for a decade and at least has a stab at the Championship.  Is playing for Port Vale anymore fulfilling than playing for Gillingham? 

• One is done, will be announced this week
    Position?
  • As poor as he's been, surely Stockley is better than the bottom of league 2.

If he plays like he has been for us, then he’ll struggle for Gillingham too.  

The other thing is if he is carrying a limiting injury, surely prospective clubs would’ve got wind of that.  I can’t imagine it would be that hard to find out. That would narrow the pool further 
  • Sponsored links:

Exactly what was said last week and will probably be said again next week.
  • edited January 2023
    Considering the gaping holes in our squad, feels somewhat frustrating that one is done but it won't be announced for at least another 7 days.
  • Vfrf said:
    There seems to be an assumption that we will be seeing an improved squad as a result of this window.  As this hasn't happened for the last few windows where is this coming from?
    I suppose the fact that we have Andy Scott instead of Martin Sandgaard lining up the pins. 
    The assumption breaks down where funding comes into play. Is it the new owner? Is Sandgaard trying to fluff up a dud product to sell or is he just playing silly buggars?
    The last one, IMO.
    If agreed, then surely the player will be at OT tonight?
  • Considering the gaping holes in our squad, feels somewhat frustrating that one is done but it won't be announced for at least another 7 days.
    Why 7 days?
    If agreed, then surely the player will be at OT tonight?
    I'd have thought the player would have wanted to sign by noon yesterday so that he could be involved tonight. 
  • Scoham said:
    Considering the gaping holes in our squad, feels somewhat frustrating that one is done but it won't be announced for at least another 7 days.
    Why 7 days?
    Because I am dumb and thought I read announced 'next week' ha ha.