Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Options
    supaclive said:
    Bolton most certainly strengthened in Jan
    Plymouth too

Have they? - Its only been a month, how do you know those signings are going to be successful?

Would you seriously not be underwhelmed at the names (their history etc.) of who Plymouth have signed? - Maybe Saxon Earley as know he was on a few wishlists right before he joined Plymouth, and Callum Wright who did well for Cheltenham last season... But Ben Waine has come from the A-League, whilst Tyreik Wright has come from a loan @ League Two
    Plymouth lost Morgan Whittaker in the window as Swansea recalled him. Possibly their best player, so it's debatable whether they're stronger after the window.

It's interesting what Burton have done, as they've completely rebuilt their team. They lost their best attacker Adeboyejo, and replaced their 4 loan players with SEVEN new ones, including Kirk and Lavelle. Plus MacGillivray in goal.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Have a nice day!
    Blimey.
    When you lose an argument resort to being rude.
    It always wins.

I am merely sharing an opinion on a forum.

I sincerely hope you don't listen to football podcasts, as you're head will probably implode.
  • Options
    Financial concerns appear to have been prioritized over ambition. However, some of those deemed surplus to requirements cost money and are on longer term contracts and yet they haven't brought us success.

Only a professional recruitment approach under an owner prepared to spend wisely to implement a rebuild, with promotion the priority next season, will improve our chances of that.
  • Options
    AMB, Dobson, Leaburn, Fraser, Ness, CBT, Egbo(when fit) are not crap players and are still here.
    Obviously they are the assets and things are happening behind the scenes. 
    In Swisdom we trust 🤞

Rak Saki and Sessegnon are good loans despite Sess having ongoing issues with playing games in a row.

Inniss, Morgan, Clare can go from the sublime to the ridiculous during games. 
    Mistakes cost goals as we know with Big Ryan.

Difficult to know the incoming players and if they will fit in and benefit the team.

Kanu and Deji last season was on the radar according to scouts and coaches i talked to at the Den last season in an under 21 match when with my son who was checking up on 3 ex players from the Academy he works for and one lad who was A trialist; Millwall v Sheff Wednesday on the Day JJ left !

Ness has got ahead of Deji so he hasn't quite kicked on over the last year but he is still only 19 plus Kanu at 18 is still making the transition from youth to Men's football But he will make it. The cameo assist for Miles shows what he can do.

The Crying Shame is with even an average owner (deep pockets helps) we could be in Contention in the mediocre Third tier, if we can emulate the Powell, Dyer and Chapple approach. The X factor wildcard like Yann will be hard to find this time.
    I keep seeing the names above mentioned as if they are nucleus of a world beating team, are they?

AMB: Good keeper and will do a job for us
    Dobson: Good skipper, runs his heart out and gives 100%
    Leaburn: Still learning his trade and developing, is he a striker that can fire us to promotion, I don't think so, not yet anyway. 
    Fraser: Most on here wanted shot of him before Christmas however a couple of goals seem to have turned the tide, will it last?
    Ness: Another young kid learning his trade, can get caught out but on the hole looks solid.
    CBT: Goes missing too much for my liking, 1 game in 3 he looks a threat, is that enough for a promotion team?
    Egbo: Looks good when fit but there lies the problem. 

My personal opinion is if the above players are going to form the spine of a team challenging for promotion once the new owners come in I am going to resign myself for a few more seasons in League One. 
    Extremely negative!
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    New chant for Saturday,
    Charlton boys, we’re on a bender!
    we haven’t got more than one defender!

Apart from the 7 we have on the books, not including kids

Doesn't scan well though 
  • Options
    A few squad sizes, from club websites or the TransferMarkt website:

Sheff Wed 25
    Plymouth 28
    Ipswich 29
    Derby 24
    Charlton 25
    Bolton 26
    Barnsley 28
    Peterborough 24
    Portsmouth 27
    Exeter 26

I suspect these are some of the stronger squads.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AMB, Dobson, Leaburn, Fraser, Ness, CBT, Egbo(when fit) are not crap players and are still here.
    Obviously they are the assets and things are happening behind the scenes. 
    In Swisdom we trust 🤞

Rak Saki and Sessegnon are good loans despite Sess having ongoing issues with playing games in a row.

Inniss, Morgan, Clare can go from the sublime to the ridiculous during games. 
    Mistakes cost goals as we know with Big Ryan.

Difficult to know the incoming players and if they will fit in and benefit the team.

Kanu and Deji last season was on the radar according to scouts and coaches i talked to at the Den last season in an under 21 match when with my son who was checking up on 3 ex players from the Academy he works for and one lad who was A trialist; Millwall v Sheff Wednesday on the Day JJ left !

Ness has got ahead of Deji so he hasn't quite kicked on over the last year but he is still only 19 plus Kanu at 18 is still making the transition from youth to Men's football But he will make it. The cameo assist for Miles shows what he can do.

The Crying Shame is with even an average owner (deep pockets helps) we could be in Contention in the mediocre Third tier, if we can emulate the Powell, Dyer and Chapple approach. The X factor wildcard like Yann will be hard to find this time.
    I keep seeing the names above mentioned as if they are nucleus of a world beating team, are they?

AMB: Good keeper and will do a job for us
    Dobson: Good skipper, runs his heart out and gives 100%
    Leaburn: Still learning his trade and developing, is he a striker that can fire us to promotion, I don't think so, not yet anyway. 
    Fraser: Most on here wanted shot of him before Christmas however a couple of goals seem to have turned the tide, will it last?
    Ness: Another young kid learning his trade, can get caught out but on the hole looks solid.
    CBT: Goes missing too much for my liking, 1 game in 3 he looks a threat, is that enough for a promotion team?
    Egbo: Looks good when fit but there lies the problem. 

My personal opinion is if the above players are going to form the spine of a team challenging for promotion once the new owners come in I am going to resign myself for a few more seasons in League One. 
    I think if Ness can find his way outta the ‘hole’ he’ll be a better player.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Sheff Wed 25
    Plymouth 28
    Ipswich 29
    Derby 24
    Charlton 25
    Bolton 26
    Barnsley 28
    Peterborough 24
    Portsmouth 27
    Exeter 26

You haven't checked the league table for where we are when considering the strongest squads?...
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    JamesSeed said:

Sheff Wed 25
    Plymouth 28
    Ipswich 29
    Derby 24
    Charlton 25
    Bolton 26
    Barnsley 28
    Peterborough 24
    Portsmouth 27
    Exeter 26

You haven't checked the league table for where we are when considering the strongest squads?...
    I think they’re all above us? It was just idle research, not trying to analyse anything. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Bolton most certainly strengthened in Jan
    Plymouth too

Have they? - Its only been a month, how do you know those signings are going to be successful?

Would you seriously not be underwhelmed at the names (their history etc.) of who Plymouth have signed? - Maybe Saxon Earley as know he was on a few wishlists right before he joined Plymouth, and Callum Wright who did well for Cheltenham last season... But Ben Waine has come from the A-League, whilst Tyreik Wright has come from a loan @ League Two
    Plymouth lost Morgan Whittaker in the window as Swansea recalled him. Possibly their best player, so it's debatable whether they're stronger after the window.

It's interesting what Burton have done, as they've completely rebuilt their team. They lost their best attacker Adeboyejo, and replaced their 4 loan players with SEVEN new ones, including Kirk and Lavelle. Plus MacGillivray in goal.
    Kirk , Lavelle and MacGillvray.
    They have clearly thrown in the towel.
  • Options
    Interesting, he has moved onto a rolling deal but hopes to sort out a new deal in the next week. 

You know what i'm going to say...

The next week could be crucial... 

PS i don't have the it's happening GIF. 
    Body language touching his nose when he mentioned long term contract suggests he might not believe it.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Hector said in his interview that he's never really been injured, but that shouldn't take away from what I think is a fair post.
    Hard to be injured when you never play. 
    He had a constant run from 2014-2020, it’s only been the last couple of years, including a season in the prem, where he’s been well down the pecking order. If he was capable of playing more often at those levels for Fulham, he wouldn’t be here. 
    Does that mean the tank is empty, half full or full ?

If he is fit, he should be in the squad 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Club is full of liars and chancers, I just hope one day we get an owner that runs the club properly and doesn't see us as a way to make a quick couple of quid or for some vanity project. 

How has anyone deemed that window anything but negative. I keep seeing 'we got all the dead wood out' we haven't! They'll be straight back next year and we are back where we are now.. had we got them off the wages and recruited improvements and went for a promotion push, then fair enough, but no, we have loaned out a ton of players we paid fees for and haven't replaced them adequately. 

McG was good business, so was Stockley. EoC, shocking. Hands down our best centre back and sold for a measly 350k. The only senior centre back who looked like he could improve. Selling him to Wrexham is genuinely embarrassing and should be raising alarms, our vice captain has willingly dropped to non league instead of staying with us. Jesus Christ.

Abysmal being a Charlton fan atm, yes men everywhere just getting an easy salary from us, a load of crap players. One of the worst run clubs in league 1, have to be 

Steve Gallen is one of the biggest frauds going, terrible track record for signings 
    Any window that has made us a better side is a good one. This looks like it has been.
    How does it look like it has made us better? There has been more outs than ins, the majority of our outs that we don't want our coming back regardless, we haven't replaced them like for like with better quality. We are definitely weaker. 

I actually cannot believe this nonsense, Holden is full of it and we will turn on him after a few bad results as per, Scott is not naive, he knew there was no money, he lied. Gallen is maybe the worst football negotiator or whatever his title is now, his bad signings outweigh the good ones (the good ones mostly being loans), our owner is a complete twat. We genuinely haven't had a proper good manager since Curbs other than Powelly when we had two good seasons under him, all the rest chancers or yes men, beyond fed up 

Worst run club in league 1 comfortably 
  • Options
    I think part of the problem is that

Kane is injured (not the club's fault)
    Kilkenny has started just two games in a year
    Hector hasn't played for a year
    Bonne was a free agent that his previous club wanted rid of
    Matt Penney did well in Scotland but had a very dodgy debut
    O'Connell was arguably our best performing centre half this year (and that is saying something)

So, whilst Kane, Kilkenny and Hector (and possibly Bonne) could be good additions to the squad - but potentially in the 2019/2020 season

Kilkenny and Hector could be so off the pace due to no first team football for a very long time that we really haven't improved the squad.

We will find out soon.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Club is full of liars and chancers, I just hope one day we get an owner that runs the club properly and doesn't see us as a way to make a quick couple of quid or for some vanity project. 

How has anyone deemed that window anything but negative. I keep seeing 'we got all the dead wood out' we haven't! They'll be straight back next year and we are back where we are now.. had we got them off the wages and recruited improvements and went for a promotion push, then fair enough, but no, we have loaned out a ton of players we paid fees for and haven't replaced them adequately. 

McG was good business, so was Stockley. EoC, shocking. Hands down our best centre back and sold for a measly 350k. The only senior centre back who looked like he could improve. Selling him to Wrexham is genuinely embarrassing and should be raising alarms, our vice captain has willingly dropped to non league instead of staying with us. Jesus Christ.

Abysmal being a Charlton fan atm, yes men everywhere just getting an easy salary from us, a load of crap players. One of the worst run clubs in league 1, have to be 

Steve Gallen is one of the biggest frauds going, terrible track record for signings 
    Any window that has made us a better side is a good one. This looks like it has been.
    How does it look like it has made us better? There has been more outs than ins, the majority of our outs that we don't want our coming back regardless, we haven't replaced them like for like with better quality. We are definitely weaker. 

I actually cannot believe this nonsense, Holden is full of it and we will turn on him after a few bad results as per, Scott is not naive, he knew there was no money, he lied. Gallen is maybe the worst football negotiator or whatever his title is now, his bad signings outweigh the good ones (the good ones mostly being loans), our owner is a complete twat. We genuinely haven't had a proper good manager since Curbs other than Powelly when we had two good seasons under him, all the rest chancers or yes men, beyond fed up 

The second paragraph deserves a promote.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    I think part of the problem is that

Kane is injured (not the club's fault)
    Kilkenny has started just two games in a year
    Hector hasn't played for a year
    Bonne was a free agent that his previous club wanted rid of
    Matt Penney did well in Scotland but had a very dodgy debut
    O'Connell was arguably our best performing centre half this year (and that is saying something)

So, whilst Kane, Kilkenny and Hector (and possibly Bonne) could be good additions to the squad - but potentially in the 2019/2020 season

Kilkenny and Hector could be so off the pace due to no first team football for a very long time that we really haven't improved the squad.

We will find out soon.

A positive spin is that the s*** underplayed rubbish we have brought in have something to prove.

Oh rewind, I have been saying this since January 2014.

• Options
    Hector has the feeling to me of a Curbs style signing. A player with something to prove. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Experienced players who have all played at a higher level. All out of contract in the summer so need to impress to earn a contract here or elsewhere.
    Having players at the Club that have no chance of playing does not make us stronger. I would prefer Mitchell or Eleware in the side than say Lavelle.
    All about opinions.

May I ask why you are angry at so many going out and then complain about that they will be coming back?

I will not be turning on our manager after a few bad results and I suspect I will be comfortably in the majority .
    Neither will I. There's a bit of pre-emptive 'I hated Holden before you hated Holden' willy waving going on, in an attempt to score points. It's quite juvenile.
    These things should be evidence based. You have to give managers time, and you have to let them build the sort of squad that they want before judging them, just like Arsenal did with Arteta.
  • Options
    Have we helped Burton to get out of the relegation area or put them further in, depends how you value the players we let them have 🤔
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    “Diagonal passes going into the stands”, “Form fell off a cliff second half of the season “, “Confidence issues”

Sounds perfect 
  • Options
    Does anyone know why @DubaiCAFC mentioned things were looking positive?