Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• CH4RLTON said:
    We could be looking at 7out and 5 in (one crocked and one not played for 7 months) to replace them, we are being asset stripped
    We are being dead wood stripped.
  • J BLOCK said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    ButtleJR said:
    If he wants to go, which he seemingly does, let him. 
    Where has it been said that he wants to go? Genuinely curious 
    You wouldnt wanna drop down two leagues under contract unless you wanted too no?
    All about money, it is with every player that signs for anyone. 

• JamesSeed said:
    It’s way too early to say definitively if this has been a good or bad window. Certainly happy that we’ve cleared out so much dead wood. That’s excellent. 
    But I’m not going to slag off any of the new signings, because I know nothing about them, and will reserve judgement until they’ve played a few games at least. 
    I’m now just keeping my fingers crossed that we can hang on to key players. And sign a forward. 
    I think it’s a treading water window. We aren’t going to make the playoffs, probably won’t get relegated. So they’ve cleared out some bigger earners and replaced with cheaper players that should give us a squad that can get through the rest of the season with no major calamities. 

The hope has to be that the objective is to free up space in the budget to bring in players that can get us up over the summer. The alternative is that we’re just massively reducing the budget to cut cost, which doesn’t bode well for next season. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Best centre back by some distance leaving and people still think we're in for a good season next year. 

We have no money. For the likes of Wrexham to be able to sign our better players shows the level we're working at. 
    I don’t agree he’s our best CB by some distance. He’s probably the calmest on the ball, and can pass, but always thought he doesn’t win much in the air and isn’t massively strong. Would prefer it if it was Lavelle leaving of course. 
    As for Wrexham, well they can pay higher wages than we can, and can offer players the chance to be in a pretty successful Netflix series, and to be part of a team who are promotion favourites. Mullen dropped divisions to play for them. Although it sounds ridiculous, O’Connell’s head may well have be turned by a call from Ryan flippin’ Reynolds.
    I don’t know Hector, (or any if the new signing apart from Bonne), so just have to hope he can get up to speed and fit in where required.
    Elliot Lee also. He could easily have got a L1 club if he wanted
  • This window may be more about clearing out players who aren't fancied for next season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    We could be looking at 7out and 5 in (one crocked and one not played for 7 months) to replace them, we are being asset stripped
    Who have we lost that you would describe as an asset?  If I was looking at it from the out side all the players that have left were contractual liabilities.

EOC hasn't left yet, but he is the odd one out, but again we don't know the motivation and personal factors at play.  

If we had sold Leaburn, Dobson and Kanu I would agree with you.
    Some that have left are still contractual liabilities, Kirk, McGrandles. All we have done is kick the can down the road.
  • We need a fucking forward us joke of a club
  • ButtleJR said:
    Suddenly o Connell is a world beater. Personally don't think he's anything special. Wages and fee will be decent, not sure Holden rates him. 

Not saying world beater but he is our best centre half. Ness has potential but needs careful management and being dipped in and out of the team, not additional exposure in a struggling team who down tools with a few months to go because they are all out of contract in June and offski. 
    Press like on repeat!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Who have we lost that you would describe as an asset?  If I was looking at it from the out side all the players that have left were contractual liabilities.

EOC hasn't left yet, but he is the odd one out, but again we don't know the motivation and personal factors at play.  

If we had sold Leaburn, Dobson and Kanu I would agree with you.
    Some that have left are still contractual liabilities, Kirk, McGrandles. All we have done is kick the can down the road.
    Or made it the next man's problem.  Neither were going to play so its not a big problem is it?
  • cazo said:
    We need a fucking forward us joke of a club
    We do but no doubt our joke of a club will use or see CBT or DJ as a backup if needed😒🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• EOC leaving?! Wtf
  • By 11pm tonight Holden will have a squad more suited to the way he wants to play .. it’s his call . 
    Maybe but shaping a squad of short term signings for a manager who himself might also not be here in 5 months time is hardly the way forward. People can't seriously look at this window as anything other than cost cutting.

We're going to be left in a position this summer where we need about 12-15 new players.
  • follett said:
    Penney played at CB on Saturday when Holden switched up tactics. Hector isn’t match fit, ludicrous to let EOC go for any other reason than to cash in. He’s also head and shoulders above Innis
    He’s massively different from Inniss. Inniss is your beast defender that’ll win the majority of his arial duels and is a real threat from free kicks and corners. But there’s always the chance of a screw up during a game. 
    O’Connell is relaxed on the ball, doesn’t make many mistakes, but doesn’t frighten anybody. Chalk and cheese. 
  • Just seen Kirk a lone even more piss off now was hoping going for good another load of shit
  • FFS this bloody transfer deadline day is doing my sodding 'ead in...
    If O'Connell want's to leave for forty pieces of silver then let him, in the end every player is a mercenary, out to rake in as much dosh as he can before he hangs up his boots...and it turns out, he is no different...as it turns out we are signing Hector, a player I must say I have not heard of before, mind you from the sounds of it, not many have, certainly in the last 12 months, coz he hasn't played.
    We have three hours left of this manic day, and nothing would surprise me regarding Charlton Athletic quite frankly now...Roll on 11pm...🤪
  • edited January 2023
  • @AFKABartram is the most balanced person on here, IMHO.

If he has concerns over O'Conell etc, PLEASE listen Charlton Life.