Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Where's Millwall Fan to tell us how good or lousy Aidan O'Brian is?
  • Looking more and more like AS was brought in to use his network and shift out 5-7 of the existing squad, replacing them with more cost effective alternatives. He will have earned his corn the way he is going, if all of this movement has been his doing…
    A self inflicted embargo by the club this January. No money to be spent on fees like June to August. 

Whatever wages you raise on permanents going out, use it to bring in what you require.

Any money raised on transfer fees goes back onto the debt 
  • We are SOOOOOO far in the shite for next season I can't see us being promotion material. 

Ipswich tried and failed
    Wigan succeeded only to be plummeting back down and in financial problems

Fuck my old boots 

League 1 promotion charge in 2025!
  • If clearing dead wood is the plan then proper recruit in the summer I'm fine with that. Happy to see those having left are gone. Hope they won't be back. Not convinced the loans out are likely to come back better, but can't imagine anyone that gives them a trial, will want to buy them or make permanent. 
    Whoops! Forget the above as he is on his way to the Gills.
  • Can I just say that despite the doom and gloom, the players that have left needed to be shipped out and I'm certainly not knocking the ones that have so far come in. 
  • Not sure I’m happy getting rid of the ‘deadwood’ given how much we’ve struggled with squad depth this year and having 0 faith in the incoming summer rebuild 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sadly I don't think there's much chance of getting a striker. We play one up front and have 3 strikers (unfortunately Aneke counts). If we had a striker who wasn't Aneke, I wouldn't be worried about that position, but unfortunately he takes up a significant chunk of wages so we won't be getting someone to replace him. It's ridiculous, but it's how it is.
  • So far, with just 6 and a half hours to go we have just 2 fit strikers on our books. 

We aren't getting anyone decent in are we  ??  And by decent I mean who has actually scored more goals this season than they have fingers on their right hand. 

Norwich striker coming in.  We'll be fine.
    Adam Idah?
    Would be very surprised if he drops down to league 1. 
  • Swisdom said:
    jams said:
    Shows the importance of stability IMO - squad is such a mess with a new manager every time a transfer window rolls around 
    Alarming how frequently we are “rebuilding”. Speaks so clearly to the lack of a real plan and joined up thinking within the club’s management.
    It all comes down to ownership stability.  

The staff have an idea of the way s manager wants to play and targets will be identified but if we keep changing managers then the goalposts are consistently on the move.

stability is the real issue here.

get a manager who will be given time to implement his ideas and spend a little bit of money and we’ll target players for that plan and hopefully get somewhere but this constant rebuilding just doesn’t work
    I agree with this, but the parade of managers being sacked has generally been accompanied by the fan base yelling out 'thank fuck for that, let's get in a decent manager' and expecting a championship/prem manager to drop down. Patience comes from all directions. Garner said it would take a couple of years to get his system implemented across the club, and a very few Addicks thought it was wrong to sack him. Personally, I thought he wanted tier three players to play with the skill set of a premier club, and it just got worse and worse, but lets be honest, most Charlton fans are not happy to allow the sort of building program Bolton have employed, and as it stands we don't have the funds seemingly to start with a rock steady base. We just take hopeful punts at youngsters and out of contract types and surprise surprise they often don't work out.
  • Posted this on the Kilkenny thread but also adding it here because the second half of the video is a review of how we've done overall in the window. Worth a watch for a level-headed view from an outsider looking in.

This has it pitched about right. Scott has done a good job shifting our weak links and brought in what looks like the right kind of fits with them all being out of contract at the end of the year so being hungry to show what they’re capable of. Are any of the signings outstanding? No but they look solid. 

I think our squad is in better shape now than a month ago.
  • Sorry if already mentioned, but is it correct that Hector couldn't / didnt complete a medical at Hillsborough. Being reported in The Star, that he started it, found it too intense and failed to return to compete it. 
    Reading what Darren Moore said about him it wouldn’t surprise me.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    We are SOOOOOO far in the shite for next season I can't see us being promotion material. 

Ipswich tried and failed

Fuck my old boots 

I'm not sure how that can be concluded in January. 

I'm glad that the dead wood are going, the youngsters will be another year older and bigger and more suited for men's football. Very early to right of next season 
    Make you right, if Bonne stays a forward line of Kanu, Bonne and Leaburn wouldn't look too sad.
  • So far, with just 6 and a half hours to go we have just 2 fit strikers on our books. 

We aren't getting anyone decent in are we  ??  And by decent I mean who has actually scored more goals this season than they have fingers on their right hand. 

Your obsession with strikers when we are in the top 6 for goals scored, but right down the bottom for goals conceded and clean sheets is so weird.

Golfie's favourite game was against top of the league Cardiff a few seasons ago ...... 2-0 down to win 5-4.

He got to see an unlikely Charlton win, 9 goals and even a 'double Golfie'. :smile:

• Think “Norwich striker” may have been a reference to the ‘fingers on one hand’ part of the post…
    Shows how easy it is to spread absolute nonsense though
  • edited January 2023
    If we had the current squad on the 1st of August I would be quite happy.  We didn't and half of this lot won't be here on the first of August next year.
  • Bailey said:
    Todds_right_hook said:
    supaclive said:
    We are SOOOOOO far in the shite for next season I can't see us being promotion material. 

Ipswich tried and failed

Fuck my old boots 

I'm glad that the dead wood are going, the youngsters will be another year older and bigger and more suited for men's football. Very early to right of next season 
    Make you right, if Bonne stays a forward line of Kanu, Bonne and Leaburn wouldn't look too sad.

Wow.... that forward line does NOT get us promoted 
  • supaclive said:
    Bailey said:
    Todds_right_hook said:
    supaclive said:

Ipswich tried and failed

Fuck my old boots 

Not this year but next season ? 
  • Bailey said:
    supaclive said:
    Bailey said:
    Todds_right_hook said:
    supaclive said:

Ipswich tried and failed

Fuck my old boots 

Not this year but next season ? 

Nope
  • Think “Norwich striker” may have been a reference to the ‘fingers on one hand’ part of the post…
    I was scrolling back up and didn't even see that comment just the Norwich striker! 
  • Oggy Red said:
    So far, with just 6 and a half hours to go we have just 2 fit strikers on our books. 

Your obsession with strikers when we are in the top 6 for goals scored, but right down the bottom for goals conceded and clean sheets is so weird.

Golfie's favourite game was against top of the league Cardiff a few seasons ago ...... 2-0 down to win 5-4.

He got to see an unlikely Charlton win, 9 goals and even a 'double Golfie'. :smile:

Cardiff scored the first two goals, Cafc then scored 5 and the Welsh side scored two goals in added time to make it 5-4. From memory I thought JJ came on as a sub ?

In my top 10 games of the 1k+ games I have seen of Charlton. 
    Whoops! Forget the above as he is on his way to the Gills.
    Gillingham, the Chelsea of L2  :D