Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• If we’re after another striker…
  • Oggy Red said:
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Macgillvery, Macgrandles, Stockley, Forster caskey and Kirk all out so far that is quite a big wage trim 
    And we're still in the bargain bucket regardless. 
    I keep reading bargain bucket comments on here. People do realise that we are in the bottom 25% of the top four divisions? Of course we are shopping in the bargain bucket! If we were shopping at Harrods we wouldn't be bottom half league 1.

we need curbishley style signings, not necessarily big name signings. We need players to fit the managers system and to balance the squad. I couldn't care less if we replaced stockley with a £50k player from barrow, as long as he fits the system and can provide stability to a squad that gets rebuilt every transfer window.
    Not to mention you only need to look at our business under Tommy when we've actually spent fees

Fraser | Aneke | Lavelle | Kirk | Clare | Stockley | Shinnie | Jaiyesimi | Schwartz | Washington | Gilbey

Two of those (Lavelle | Jaiyesimi) could still depart, whilst one is crooked.

Maybe we're better off looking around in the bargain bucket, as we cant be trusted to make transfer fees
    Fuck me that list is brutal 
    It’s why I question anyone who is getting worked up about who we bring in in this window.  Granted, transfers seems to be being engineered by Scott (maybe) and maybe TS is hands off this time round, but the evidence is clear, the recruitment has been very poor for a number of years.  

Why would we risk bringing in any players on long term deals when all of the above bar Shinnie have constrained our ability to have a complete refresh.  We really need to get to the end of the season either in a position where players’ contracts have run down, or, the majority of the team have been moved on.  

Anything less than that and I think we’re kidding ourselves about our ability to get out this league next season 
    It's obvious that all transfer business is being conducted to get us through the season, and enabling a reset in the summer.

So far, fringe members of the squad are departing and short term replacements coming in.
    Each of these players will have something to prove - either to earn a contract with Charlton in the summer or put themselves in the shop window.

They know they will need to play for their futures.

Even if they are not regarded as standout players in this division, they may prove to be Holden type players.
    Remember Curbs mantra?  ...... "building a team greater than the sum of its parts".

Let's see what happens.

A lot of assumptions there. 

The only fact we currently know is that clearly the squad budget for the rest of the season has been reduced for contracted players. 

We have no idea on whether that implies more money in the summer or a continuation of the reduction in budget. 
    Assumptions? I'm just reading between the lines and apply what I've learned from 60 years of watching football.

It's  the way League football operates in this country, a forever repeating cycle, and the bleedin' obvious.
    I also pay attention to events, what the manager says over a period, add 2+2 and wait to see what happens.

Not rocket science, is it? 

• PWADDICK said:

If we’re after another striker…
    Not sure we could afford his wages, but hasn't done a lot at champ level for a while. Would be a top signing. 
  • Hal1x said:
    PWADDICK said:

We cant just ship in a truckload of Kennys.
    Says who? We had shiploads of Matt Smiths back in the day.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Macgillvery, Macgrandles, Stockley, Forster caskey and Kirk all out so far that is quite a big wage trim 
    I keep reading bargain bucket comments on here. People do realise that we are in the bottom 25% of the top four divisions? Of course we are shopping in the bargain bucket! If we were shopping at Harrods we wouldn't be bottom half league 1.

we need curbishley style signings, not necessarily big name signings. We need players to fit the managers system and to balance the squad. I couldn't care less if we replaced stockley with a £50k player from barrow, as long as he fits the system and can provide stability to a squad that gets rebuilt every transfer window.
    Not to mention you only need to look at our business under Tommy when we've actually spent fees

Fraser | Aneke | Lavelle | Kirk | Clare | Stockley | Shinnie | Jaiyesimi | Schwartz | Washington | Gilbey

Maybe we're better off looking around in the bargain bucket, as we cant be trusted to make transfer fees
    It’s why I question anyone who is getting worked up about who we bring in in this window.  Granted, transfers seems to be being engineered by Scott (maybe) and maybe TS is hands off this time round, but the evidence is clear, the recruitment has been very poor for a number of years.  

Why would we risk bringing in any players on long term deals when all of the above bar Shinnie have constrained our ability to have a complete refresh.  We really need to get to the end of the season either in a position where players’ contracts have run down, or, the majority of the team have been moved on.  

Anything less than that and I think we’re kidding ourselves about our ability to get out this league next season 
    It's obvious that all transfer business is being conducted to get us through the season, and enabling a reset in the summer.

So far, fringe members of the squad are departing and short term replacements coming in.
    Each of these players will have something to prove - either to earn a contract with Charlton in the summer or put themselves in the shop window.

Even if they are not regarded as standout players in this division, they may prove to be Holden type players.
    Remember Curbs mantra?  ...... "building a team greater than the sum of its parts".

Let's see what happens.

The only fact we currently know is that clearly the squad budget for the rest of the season has been reduced for contracted players. 

We have no idea on whether that implies more money in the summer or a continuation of the reduction in budget. 
    Assumptions? I'm just reading between the lines and apply what I've learned from 60 years of watching football.

It's  the way League football operates in this country, a forever repeating cycle, and the bleedin' obvious.
    I also pay attention to events, what the manager says over a period, add 2+2 and wait to see what happens.

Not rocket science, is it? 

It's common sense Oggy.
    I think many of us can see it, although not all. 
  • Id take him until the end of the season BUT we do need players who are fit enough to jump straight in. 

Cant hang about bringing players up to speed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Shame, remember @Sage mentioning him last January - He'd have been a great option to bed in until next season
  • jbaker said:
    Michael Hector done deal
    This isn't another area joke is it ? 
  • PWADDICK said:

I signed him for us on FM years ago before he came over to England. Physical beast, but presumably nowhere near as effective in reality.
  • Hector’s had an… interesting career

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Decent talent. 37, 19, 22 & 25 goals in the last 4 seasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Let's see what happens.

Either way next seasons squad is likely to be very different.
    Kirk and McGrandles are only out on loan
  • Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Let's see what happens.

Either way next seasons squad is likely to be very different.
    Kirk and McGrandles are only out on loan
    I know but that doesn’t change what I said. They’ll most likely move again in the summer.
  • What’s the betting the ‘free agent market is still open so we will look into that if needs be’ line will be trotted out when we fail to get anyone in 
    Talking of which whatever happened to Connor Wickham? Leaves FGR at the end of his short contract several weeks ago, and still unemployed
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Blimus look at his neck!
  • What’s the betting the ‘free agent market is still open so we will look into that if needs be’ line will be trotted out when we fail to get anyone in 
    Talking of which whatever happened to Connor Wickham? Leaves FGR at the end of his short contract several weeks ago, and still unemployed
    I suppose he is probably holding out to find himself the best possible deal. Can sign for someone after today too so most clubs probably don't see that business as a priority.
  • Rumour of The Snake to Reading on loan from Notts Forrest 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Gavin Kilkenny confirmed as a loan deal. could be a good signing 
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/done-deal-gavin-kilkenny-addick

A quote from Thomas to let us know he's still around!
    I know I shouldn't react, his little quips feckin annoy the shit out of me. F*ck up Thomas.