Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• cafcwill said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told to expect 3 signings today: based on above I'd assume hector and the bournemouth midfielder plus a striker.
    don't forget Matt Smith :-)
    Which one?
    Well he does look a bit like Haaland now!

Maybe he can regenerate into a decent centre forward. Passes the height test!
  • Gavin Kilkenny confirmed as a loan deal. could be a good signing 
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/done-deal-gavin-kilkenny-addick

• CH4RLTON said:
    Macgillvery, Macgrandles, Stockley, Forster caskey and Kirk all out so far that is quite a big wage trim 
    And we're still in the bargain bucket regardless. 
    I keep reading bargain bucket comments on here. People do realise that we are in the bottom 25% of the top four divisions? Of course we are shopping in the bargain bucket! If we were shopping at Harrods we wouldn't be bottom half league 1.

we need curbishley style signings, not necessarily big name signings. We need players to fit the managers system and to balance the squad. I couldn't care less if we replaced stockley with a £50k player from barrow, as long as he fits the system and can provide stability to a squad that gets rebuilt every transfer window.
    We're not in League Two yet.
  • Why is it saying on EFL approval don’t normally say that dose it. We got embargo again. 
  • Scoham said:
    Not sure about Hector. Looks like he needs acres of space to do anything. 
    He's a unit, though.
    Could link up well with Miles
    Shocking you three but I have to admit to laughing! 
  • Sponsored links:

• “I’m delighted to be joining Charlton,” said Kilkenny. “It’s obviously a huge club and it’s a really great opportunity for me. I really enjoyed working with Dean Holden at Stoke, albeit briefly, and I want to repay the faith he has shown in me by bringing me here. Hopefully we can start pushing up the table to get this club back where it belongs.”

Dean Holden was pleased to reunite with Kilkenny. The Manager said: “Gavin is a player I know well, having worked with him at Stoke. We are very fortunate we could get him, especially given the number of games he played in Bournemouth’s promotion campaign to the Premier League last season. He has got bags of energy, very good technical ability and a top class attitude.”
  • edited January 2023
    Why is it saying on EFL approval don’t normally say that dose it. We got embargo again. 
    Pretty sure nearly all transfers are subject to approval
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Macgillvery, Macgrandles, Stockley, Forster caskey and Kirk all out so far that is quite a big wage trim 
    I keep reading bargain bucket comments on here. People do realise that we are in the bottom 25% of the top four divisions? Of course we are shopping in the bargain bucket! If we were shopping at Harrods we wouldn't be bottom half league 1.

we need curbishley style signings, not necessarily big name signings. We need players to fit the managers system and to balance the squad. I couldn't care less if we replaced stockley with a £50k player from barrow, as long as he fits the system and can provide stability to a squad that gets rebuilt every transfer window.
    We're not in League Two yet.
    Fat manly fingers.....35%
  • Oggy Red said:
    Gavin Kilkenny confirmed as a loan deal. could be a good signing 

A quote from Thomas to let us know he's still around!
    Rubbish
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told to expect 3 signings today: based on above I'd assume hector and the bournemouth midfielder plus a striker.
    Been told by TS?
    No, someone more reliable than that twat... though that's not saying a lot.
    @ButtleJR Last I was aware you were pals with Martin on LinkedIn. Was it an accumulation of club events or did something happen specifically to make you turn on the Sandgaards?
  • Why is it saying on EFL approval don’t normally say that dose it. We got embargo again. 
    Probably meaning we've completed everything at our end and submitted the paperwork to EFL, which will be taking it's turn in the queue with other club's last day signings.

No doubt just a formality.
  • Sponsored links:

Pretty sure nearly all transfers are subject to approval
    But we don’t usually see that caveat do we?

Probably nothing in it - just unusual. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Not to mention you only need to look at our business under Tommy when we've actually spent fees

Fraser | Aneke | Lavelle | Kirk | Clare | Stockley | Shinnie | Jaiyesimi | Schwartz | Washington | Gilbey

Two of those (Lavelle | Jaiyesimi) could still depart, whilst one is crooked.

Maybe we're better off looking around in the bargain bucket, as we cant be trusted to make transfer fees
    Fuck me that list is brutal 
    It’s why I question anyone who is getting worked up about who we bring in in this window.  Granted, transfers seems to be being engineered by Scott (maybe) and maybe TS is hands off this time round, but the evidence is clear, the recruitment has been very poor for a number of years.  

Why would we risk bringing in any players on long term deals when all of the above bar Shinnie have constrained our ability to have a complete refresh.  We really need to get to the end of the season either in a position where players’ contracts have run down, or, the majority of the team have been moved on.  

Anything less than that and I think we’re kidding ourselves about our ability to get out this league next season 
    It's obvious that all transfer business is being conducted to get us through the season, and enabling a reset in the summer.

So far, fringe members of the squad are departing and short term replacements coming in.
    Each of these players will have something to prove - either to earn a contract with Charlton in the summer or put themselves in the shop window.

They know they will need to play for their futures.

Even if they are not regarded as standout players in this division, they may prove to be Holden type players.
    Remember Curbs mantra?  ...... "building a team greater than the sum of its parts".

Let's see what happens.

A lot of assumptions there. 

The only fact we currently know is that clearly the squad budget for the rest of the season has been reduced for contracted players. 

We have no idea on whether that implies more money in the summer or a continuation of the reduction in budget. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Gavin Kilkenny confirmed as a loan deal. could be a good signing 

A quote from Thomas to let us know he's still around!
    Why does he need to say anything? Now, we just know that Kilkenny’s style is going to be more of this than as described - control, which is just another unnecessary bullet in TS’ feet 🤦🏻‍♂️ Let the players on the pitch and manager do the talking ffs

• Oggy Red said:
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Not to mention you only need to look at our business under Tommy when we've actually spent fees

Fraser | Aneke | Lavelle | Kirk | Clare | Stockley | Shinnie | Jaiyesimi | Schwartz | Washington | Gilbey

Two of those (Lavelle | Jaiyesimi) could still depart, whilst one is crooked.

Maybe we're better off looking around in the bargain bucket, as we cant be trusted to make transfer fees
    Fuck me that list is brutal 
    It’s why I question anyone who is getting worked up about who we bring in in this window.  Granted, transfers seems to be being engineered by Scott (maybe) and maybe TS is hands off this time round, but the evidence is clear, the recruitment has been very poor for a number of years.  

Why would we risk bringing in any players on long term deals when all of the above bar Shinnie have constrained our ability to have a complete refresh.  We really need to get to the end of the season either in a position where players’ contracts have run down, or, the majority of the team have been moved on.  

Anything less than that and I think we’re kidding ourselves about our ability to get out this league next season 
    It's obvious that all transfer business is being conducted to get us through the season, and enabling a reset in the summer.

So far, fringe members of the squad are departing and short term replacements coming in.
    Each of these players will have something to prove - either to earn a contract with Charlton in the summer or put themselves in the shop window.

They know they will need to play for their futures.

Even if they are not regarded as standout players in this division, they may prove to be Holden type players.
    Remember Curbs mantra?  ...... "building a team greater than the sum of its parts".

Let's see what happens.

A lot of assumptions there. 

The only fact we currently know is that clearly the squad budget for the rest of the season has been reduced for contracted players. 

We have no idea on whether that implies more money in the summer or a continuation of the reduction in budget. 
    Either way next seasons squad is likely to be very different.
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told by TS?
    @ButtleJR Last I was aware you were pals with Martin on LinkedIn. Was it an accumulation of club events or did something happen specifically to make you turn on the Sandgaards?
    Never spoke to Martin, only Thomas. Just became obvious TS was a compulsive liar with a huge ego after a while and I gave my opinion on a few things which he didn't appreciate. Wouldn't say we were pals by any stretch. I was just naive and believed he was a good bloke who would do well. 
    Same as a good majority of us. Looking back the signs were always there. I regret rubbishing them a few times now.
  • Has there been any mention of "a deal sheet"?  Just need that for my transfer deadline day bingo....
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told by TS?
    Never spoke to Martin, only Thomas. Just became obvious TS was a compulsive liar with a huge ego after a while and I gave my opinion on a few things which he didn't appreciate. Wouldn't say we were pals by any stretch. I was just naive and believed he was a good bloke who would do well.
    This shocks us all i'm sure.......