Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    I saw Paul Warhurst in Blackheath this morning. Coincidence?
    he's only 53 now, must be on his way for a medical 
  • I'm looking forward to the takeover going through this evening and us then announcing Mbappe has signed on a 10 year deal.
    You might be disappointed!
  • mendonca said:
    If we get Hector, it's the same old. On a free, low games per season of late, 'too good for L1', can sign him after deadline as a free.

2023 Harry Arter, step forward!

I've noticed a lot of posters rate and review a player in accordance to their peak, rather then recent performances.

The optimists do the above and the Pessimists say that is ancient history !

Great example with both O'Brien and Hector who have played higher but their careers have taken a down turn at 29 and 30 respectively BUT could both be useful additions to the 18 man squad for a mid table League 1 side.

I'm an optimistic pessimist 🤔 and a fan of Oxymorons.  

• ButtleJR said:
    Good signs with the outs, would be nice to see the fee we got for stockley reinvested in a permanent.
    Just annoying we can't get Kirk out permanently 
  • I hope one of the CB DJ and Morgan and get 2 maybe 3 better players in
  • cazo said:
    I hope one of the CB DJ and Morgan and get 2 maybe 3 better players in
    No chance we get rid of Kirk and ANOTHER 3 players
  • edited January 2023
    ButtleJR said:
    Good signs with the outs, would be nice to see the fee we got for stockley reinvested in a permanent.
    Just annoying we can't get Kirk out permanently 

Charlie's got a 4 year contract so even harder to move on than Stockley who had 18 months left and managed to get another year on top at Fleetwood.
  • Michael Hector is too good for League 1 for sure. Looking forward to us putting a stop to that!
    How so?
    Take your pick: Injury on debut, he's not up to it anymore, he can't be arsed, etc.
    I meant your 'too good for league one' comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:
    Macgillvery, Macgrandles, Stockley, Forster caskey and Kirk all out so far that is quite a big wage trim 
    I know we haven't refilled all these positions, however all were deemed not good enough and surplus to requirements by a good deal of this forum (and it seemed the management), and all but maybe JFC were apparently in the top earners at the club according to the salary sports website (taken with a pinch of salt). The only one I personally think would've been good enough to contend for a place was JFC and for whatever reason he had been essentially cut out.
  • Just a reminder we’re in this shit league next season so could be a even quieter day for incomings more getting rid of crap.
  • Scoham said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Macgillvery, Macgrandles, Stockley, Forster caskey and Kirk all out so far that is quite a big wage trim 
    It is, but I think most would agree those 5 aren’t what we need for a promotion push next season.
    And you could say we are doing nect seasons work.. now. So when the summer comes, we won't have to flog them before we can buy.
  • off topic .. J J Shelvey off to Forest ?
  • edited January 2023
    Sheffield Wednesday have had Hector training with them 

Speaking about Hector's situation, Moore said last week that he continues to assess the centre-half at close quarters. He said: "We feel where Michael is at, he's done really, really well. He's been through what we call the first stage and it's a process. But we've not made any decisions at all. He's done fantastic in terms of what he's had to do until this point. We're taking our time.

"We've put him through a vigorous test and we've given him a few days (off) to rest and recover and then we can assess him and potentially try and move him to the next stage."

Sounds like he's miles off being able to play.
    Exactly. Surely we need people who can come in and contribute straight away. 

Can anyone think of a time a transfer like this has worked out for us... Bringing in someone who hasn't played much in years and has questionable fitness. I can think of many times it hasn't and struggle to think of a single time it has. 
  • Richard J said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Michael Hector..
    Has been on trial with the massives

That would be superb if true. Presumably Lavelle and Thomas would be moving on.
    Superb? He's been available on a free for months and not been able to get a club. How would signing him be superb. I'd call it desperation.
    Yeah, it would be nice to sign someone that is wanted by someone else.
  • My only real interest between now and the end of the season is how the young lads; AMB, Ness, Campbell, Henry etc cope with the difficulties of men’s football. Do hope that any signings are brought to help them develop and not hinder their development.
  • Hector sounds an excellent signing on paper, but he's only played about 12-games in the last two years.

Hopefully its another deal until the end of the season
    he has had a strange career, had many loans, signed by Chelsea from reading when he had already had a very mixed career out on loan, he's now 30 .. indicates to me that he is not reliable
  • Has anyone done the Hector knows Keane from Chelsea one yet? 
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:
    And we're still in the bargain bucket regardless. 
  • Let the floodgates open!

Well go on then...
  • 7 signings lined up just couldn’t get them over the line.
  • edited January 2023
    CH4RLTON said:
    Bit of a worry that we havent been linked with or seem to be interested in any central defenders, Lavelle and Thomas look inept, Innis has the odd good game in about 5 and could get injured at any time but Ness looks good but still very young
    Would need to shift some out first. Not many L1 clubs have as many CBs as Innis, Ness, Lavelle, O’Connell, Thomas & Elerwere.

Agree though that we need one that is top quality standard like Patrick Bauer was the year we last got promoted from L1 (We definitely have quantity rather than quality this season). 
  • It’ll be freebies and/or loans till the end of the season. The best I’m hoping for is a new contact for Dobson in the coming weeks. 

Probably the first Deadline Day I can remember where I’m apathetic to what happens. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Been told to expect 3 signings today: based on above I'd assume hector and the bournemouth midfielder plus a striker.
    don't forget Matt Smith :-)
  • cafcwill said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told to expect 3 signings today: based on above I'd assume hector and the bournemouth midfielder plus a striker.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Smith_(footballer,_born_1989) could be the striker? ;) 
  • ButtleJR said:
    cafcwill said:
    ButtleJR said:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Smith_(footballer,_born_1989) could be the striker? ;) 
    and also meets the criteia of our scouting this window:

have we been linked to them before - Yep
    are they called Matt smith - Yep

pretty much a done deal :-)