Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Go and look at mistakes innis has made he don’t Even try to recover the mistake don’t even look bothered just jogs  back yes I’d have lavelle before innis. 
    In ideal world I’d get rid of both and get someone else in but be hard to get anyone decent in January. 
    Think I’d have Pearce back in front of these 2 
  • IF this is true, we owe MacGillivray a huge vote of thanks. And a big round of applause on his return.

He could have stopped the deal in its tracks by giving an honest opinion of Kirk.

• Scoham said:
    That's a front line he won't get in to.
  • NabySarr said:
    Don’t get the point in these signings. They are short term fixes when we aren’t going up or down. I would rather just use Ness, Henry, Campbell, Kanu etc and get a good look at them for next season rather than bring players in ahead of them. 

Same situation as last season where the managers future is uncertain so they need results in the short-term rather than thinking what’s the best way to prepare us for next season 
    You can't play too many inexperienced yougsters together in the same team.

One or 2 at a time, of course or from the bench. 
    Otherwise the weight of expectation could destroy them.

• NabySarr said:
    Don’t get the point in these signings. They are short term fixes when we aren’t going up or down. I would rather just use Ness, Henry, Campbell, Kanu etc and get a good look at them for next season rather than bring players in ahead of them. 

Same situation as last season where the managers future is uncertain so they need results in the short-term rather than thinking what’s the best way to prepare us for next season 
    It isn't fair to throw kids in as the only option though is it?  Ness, Henry and Campbell have had a good number of minutes so far anyway and Kanu is a first year pro.  He needs neither chucking in or loaning out, yet.  U21s and a few cameos is perfect for him now.  
  • If you told me that we'd have to rely on Ness, O'Connell, Elerewe, Thomas and (at a pinch) Clare at CB for the remainder of the season, I could live with it.  

I actually thought (before Sat) that Holden had successfully got Inniss to play a bit more cautiously and reliably.  But I despair...

• Sponsored links:

• Says a lot about how far perception of Kirk has fallen that last season a bad start for us had a Championship team taking him on loan and putting him in their team. Now he's being loaned to a team in the League One drop zone. At this point it looks like he's returning to the level he was at with Crewe, which is a team struggling to stay afloat in the third division. Feels like he's missed his opportunity to kick on
  • edited January 2023
    Michael Hector is too good for League 1 for sure. Looking forward to us putting a stop to that!
    But not good enough for Chef Wendy.
    Sadly we’re now in a very different place to the likes of Sheff Weds & Ipswich etc when it comes to players (we get their cast offs).

You saw on Sat vs Bolton that we can’t compete with the top 5 in L1 anymore such has been our downfall.

…& yes I’m aware we fluked a 1-0 win over Derby at the start of the season (but that was the luckiest result you’ll ever see. They should have been 4-0 up at HT).
  • Tbh, for as long as TS is owner, I'd rather we didn't sign players for fees on long term contracts. The current recruitment process is not fit for purpose and leaves us in the situation we are in with Kirk, Aneke and (until yesterday) Stockley.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Leuth seeing this comment:

I’d sooner innis out before  lavelle

That's Inniss seeing this comment.

Looks like he's just shat himself..😉
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told to expect 3 signings today: based on above I'd assume hector and the bournemouth midfielder plus a striker.
    Been told by TS?
    No, someone more reliable than that twat... though that's not saying a lot.
    Have you two had a lovers tiff 🙄
  • edited January 2023
    cafcwill said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told to expect 3 signings today: based on above I'd assume hector and the bournemouth midfielder plus a striker.
    don't forget Matt Smith :-)
    Which one?
  • sam3110 said:
    João Cancelo gone Bayern on loan

No ambition, Charlton! 
    If Guardiola wanted to discipline him he should send him to us not Bayern. That'll learn him.
  • edited January 2023
    Hal1x said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Michael Hector..
    I think I've seen his house?
    Couldn't stand that woman with the foreign accent in Hectors House.

• Oggy Red said:
    If you told me that we'd have to rely on Ness, O'Connell, Elerewe, Thomas and (at a pinch) Clare at CB for the remainder of the season, I could live with it.  

I actually thought (before Sat) that Holden had successfully got Inniss to play a bit more cautiously and reliably.  But I despair...

Inniss made a wrong decision, choosing to try and keep the ball in play instead of putting the ball out.
    Holden will have been talking to him about that, you bet.

It is the Third Division, players will make wrong decisions.
    It's a reason why they are Third Division players.

Apart from that Bolton goal blip (don't forget the defence had completely lost it's shape ,AMB rushing off his line, Clare in no mans land), Inniss has shown simplified play and mproved consistancy lately. 

Agree. He's much better when he's told to keep it simple and safe. But he still makes calamitous errors and there's always the risk of a sending off. I'd still take him over Lavelle (who's been a major disappointment) but would welcome an upgrade at CB.
  • Sponsored links:

• Heard from a mate that Aiden O'Brien is coming to us 👀
    Always rated him
    When he was at Millwall i thought he was good but not sure he's done anything since.
    Yeh that’s pretty much all I’m basing my opinion on
  • Jesus Christ O’Brien is absolutely woeful 
    Scoham said:
    Jesus Christ O’Brien is absolutely woeful 
    Is he related to Aiden?
    He’s not good with crosses
  • Says a lot about how far perception of Kirk has fallen that last season a bad start for us had a Championship team taking him on loan and putting him in their team. Now he's being loaned to a team in the League One drop zone. At this point it looks like he's returning to the level he was at with Crewe, which is a team struggling to stay afloat in the third division. Feels like he's missed his opportunity to kick on
    Burton is not so far from Crewe. Kirk seems to be a bit of a home bird, maybe he's happier to settle for a Third Division move where he can be closer to friends and family?

That may be more important to him right now than playing in a higher division.

• CH4RLTON said:
    Macgillvery, Macgrandles, Stockley, Forster caskey and Kirk all out so far that is quite a big wage trim 
    And we're still in the bargain bucket regardless. 
    I keep reading bargain bucket comments on here. People do realise that we are in the bottom 25% of the top four divisions? Of course we are shopping in the bargain bucket! If we were shopping at Harrods we wouldn't be bottom half league 1.

we need curbishley style signings, not necessarily big name signings. We need players to fit the managers system and to balance the squad. I couldn't care less if we replaced stockley with a £50k player from barrow, as long as he fits the system and can provide stability to a squad that gets rebuilt every transfer window.
    Not to mention you only need to look at our business under Tommy when we've actually spent fees

Fraser | Aneke | Lavelle | Kirk | Clare | Stockley | Shinnie | Jaiyesimi | Schwartz | Washington | Gilbey

Two of those (Lavelle | Jaiyesimi) could still depart, whilst one is crooked.

Maybe we're better off looking around in the bargain bucket, as we cant be trusted to make transfer fees
    That's an absolute horror show of signings.

In fact apart from Dobson and CBT i can't recall many recent signings who actually improved with us.
  • NabySarr said:

In the case of someone like Penney or Kane, they're out of contract in the summer so no harm in seeing what they can do with a view to potentially keeping them next season if they do well.

Plus if we signed no one and were forced to play kids and then got sucked into a relegation battle, we'd all be saying 'why the fuck didn't we get some loans in'.
    I meant the signings today. We’ve plugged the obvious gaps at full back and striker. Quite happy with any signing that is with a view to keeping them next season but I’m not sure the names mentioned so far are ones that will be here next season 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Macgillvery, Macgrandles, Stockley, Forster caskey and Kirk all out so far that is quite a big wage trim 
    And we're still in the bargain bucket regardless. 
    I keep reading bargain bucket comments on here. People do realise that we are in the bottom 25% of the top four divisions? Of course we are shopping in the bargain bucket! If we were shopping at Harrods we wouldn't be bottom half league 1.

we need curbishley style signings, not necessarily big name signings. We need players to fit the managers system and to balance the squad. I couldn't care less if we replaced stockley with a £50k player from barrow, as long as he fits the system and can provide stability to a squad that gets rebuilt every transfer window.
    Not to mention you only need to look at our business under Tommy when we've actually spent fees

Fraser | Aneke | Lavelle | Kirk | Clare | Stockley | Shinnie | Jaiyesimi | Schwartz | Washington | Gilbey

Two of those (Lavelle | Jaiyesimi) could still depart, whilst one is crooked.

Maybe we're better off looking around in the bargain bucket, as we cant be trusted to make transfer fees
    That's an absolute horror show of signings.

In fact apart from Dobson and CBT i can't recall many recent signings who actually improved with us.
    Or werent crooked... e.g. Egbo
  • cafcwill said:
    ButtleJR said:
    don't forget Matt Smith :-)
    Which one?
    Well he does look a bit like Haaland now!