Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• João Cancelo gone Bayern on loan

No ambition, Charlton! 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Been told to expect 3 signings today: based on above I'd assume hector and the bournemouth midfielder plus a striker.
    Just hope Luton got a decent striker they want to offload
  • edited January 2023
    CH4RLTON said:
    Macgillvery, Macgrandles, Stockley, Forster caskey and Kirk all out so far that is quite a big wage trim 
    And we're still in the bargain bucket regardless. 
    I keep reading bargain bucket comments on here. People do realise that we are in the bottom 25% of the top four divisions? Of course we are shopping in the bargain bucket! If we were shopping at Harrods we wouldn't be bottom half league 1.

we need curbishley style signings, not necessarily big name signings. We need players to fit the managers system and to balance the squad. I couldn't care less if we replaced stockley with a £50k player from barrow, as long as he fits the system and can provide stability to a squad that gets rebuilt every transfer window.
    The reason we are in the bottom half of League One is because the money we spend is top-end League One but our scouting system/transfer team are so shambolic we end up with option Z every single time. 

Then scramble around on deadline day looking for 'bargains' to fill the squad up. Oh look, it's January and it's happened again!

We've cut massive costs this month and I'm not currently seeing where the reinvestment is coming from. Our squad budget has reduced. 
  • edited January 2023
    CH4RLTON said:
    Macgillvery, Macgrandles, Stockley, Forster caskey and Kirk all out so far that is quite a big wage trim 
    I keep reading bargain bucket comments on here. People do realise that we are in the bottom 25% of the top four divisions? Of course we are shopping in the bargain bucket! If we were shopping at Harrods we wouldn't be bottom half league 1.

we need curbishley style signings, not necessarily big name signings. We need players to fit the managers system and to balance the squad. I couldn't care less if we replaced stockley with a £50k player from barrow, as long as he fits the system and can provide stability to a squad that gets rebuilt every transfer window.
    Not to mention you only need to look at our business under Tommy when we've actually spent fees

Fraser | Aneke | Lavelle | Kirk | Clare | Stockley | Shinnie | Jaiyesimi | Schwartz | Washington | Gilbey

Two of those (Lavelle | Jaiyesimi) could still depart, whilst one is crooked.

Maybe we're better off looking around in the bargain bucket, as we cant be trusted to make transfer fees
  • ButtleJR said:
    Been told to expect 3 signings today: based on above I'd assume hector and the bournemouth midfielder plus a striker.
    Been told by TS?
  • CH4RLTON said:

Not to mention you only need to look at our business under Tommy when we've actually spent fees

Fraser | Aneke | Lavelle | Kirk | Clare | Stockley | Shinnie | Jaiyesimi | Schwartz | Washington | Gilbey

Maybe we're better off looking around in the bargain bucket, as we cant be trusted to make transfer fees
    Or maybe we should look at why that list is so poor and sack/replace the people responsible? 

Rather than reducing our squad budget and settling for mediocre. 
  • seth plum said:
    If you want an idea of how high or low the bar is going to be today I give you Nile John and Castillo.
    Nile John was a strange one, especially as SCP brought him over himself.

Both John and Castillo are still at their parent clubs, neither have been out on loan this season yet.
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told by TS?
    No, someone more reliable than that twat... though that's not saying a lot.
    Was gonna say! Thank fuck for that 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Michael Hector is too good for League 1 for sure. Looking forward to us putting a stop to that!
    But not good enough for Chef Wendy.
  • Lavelle out i hope!
  • On a side note, what on Earth is this weird Deadline Day show where the presenters are seemingly just lounging about in various lobbies at Sky Studios instead of in the actual studio itself?
  • sam3110 said:
    João Cancelo gone Bayern on loan

No ambition, Charlton! 
    Bloody loans?  Are Byern in the bargin bucket as well?

Yes I know it's 70 million euros in the summer.
  • Has Kirk gone yet 🙏🙏
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told by TS?
    Me at about 9am :wink:
  • Chunes said:
    I saw Paul Warhurst in Blackheath this morning. Coincidence?
    he's only 53 now, must be on his way for a medical 
    One for the future. ;)
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told by TS?

Hell hath no fury like a supporter scorned!
  • Don’t get the point in these signings. They are short term fixes when we aren’t going up or down. I would rather just use Ness, Henry, Campbell, Kanu etc and get a good look at them for next season rather than bring players in ahead of them. 

Same situation as last season where the managers future is uncertain so they need results in the short-term rather than thinking what’s the best way to prepare us for next season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hector would be a great signing if fully fit although has not played for a long time. Could hopefully have him starting over Inniss.
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Been told by TS?
    His wife?
  • nagAddick said:
    Hector would be a great signing if fully fit although has not played for a long time. Could hopefully have him starting over Inniss.
    Be disappointed if Ness is dropped so readily
  • nagAddick said:
    Hector would be a great signing if fully fit although has not played for a long time. Could hopefully have him starting over Inniss.
    Be disappointed if Ness is dropped so readily
    Yes, we need to keep Ness in the side and having an experienced cb who has played at higher levels next to him in Hector it would be really helpful with his development.
  • Leuth said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Fuck me that list is brutal 
    It’s why I question anyone who is getting worked up about who we bring in in this window.  Granted, transfers seems to be being engineered by Scott (maybe) and maybe TS is hands off this time round, but the evidence is clear, the recruitment has been very poor for a number of years.  

Why would we risk bringing in any players on long term deals when all of the above bar Shinnie have constrained our ability to have a complete refresh.  We really need to get to the end of the season either in a position where players’ contracts have run down, or, the majority of the team have been moved on.  

Anything less than that and I think we’re kidding ourselves about our ability to get out this league next season