Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Oggy Red said:
    Bailey said:
    Hector is definitely signing
    I'm reserving a place for you on the 'Naughty step' if he doesn't ..............move up Ronnie you may have company !
    Yeah, where's Ronnie?

I thought he'd be down Sparrows Lane today with his 'sauce'. :smile:

We'll Ketchup with him later!
  • I still remember the good old days when we signed players I had heard of.  
    I can't remember that far back.
  • Hal1x said:
    PWADDICK said:

If we’re after another striker…
    We cant just ship in a truckload of Kennys.
    Why not? We did it with Dannys.  
  • edited January 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    If Kirk and Thomas have gone, is that 7 dead wood players cleared out already?

Six, I think:
    JFC
    Stockley
    McGranles
    MacGillivray
    (Thomas)
    (Kirk)
  • Oggy Red said:
    If Kirk and Thomas have gone, is that 7 dead wood players cleared out already?

Six, I think:
    JFC
    Stockley
    McGranles
    MacGillivray
    (Thomas)
    (Kirk)
    Still plenty  of room in that min bus for DJ and Lavelle.
  • Swisdom said:
    jams said:
    Shows the importance of stability IMO - squad is such a mess with a new manager every time a transfer window rolls around 
    Alarming how frequently we are “rebuilding”. Speaks so clearly to the lack of a real plan and joined up thinking within the club’s management.
    It all comes down to ownership stability.  

The staff have an idea of the way s manager wants to play and targets will be identified but if we keep changing managers then the goalposts are consistently on the move.

stability is the real issue here.

get a manager who will be given time to implement his ideas and spend a little bit of money and we’ll target players for that plan and hopefully get somewhere but this constant rebuilding just doesn’t work
    Great post. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hector, a player who has been without a club all season and of whom the Sheffield Wednesday manager basically said last week isn’t fit enough yet. Knowing us he’s signed a three and a half year deal. 
  • I still remember the good old days when we signed players I wanted. 
    Edited for you 👍
  • edited January 2023
    With the instability and very poor league position, what player of any quality would come to Charlton, unless
    1) Its a step up in Leagues / Club size
    2) It's an increase in wages. (see 1)
    3) The player is a bench warmer.

If its any of the above, can we realistically expect them to be any improvement on those being shipped out?
  • Mrkinski said:
    Joe Dodoo has just left Burton. It couldn’t happen, could it?
    Nonoo! :anguished:

• edited January 2023
    Lots of rumours about who's signed (Hector), who's gone (Kirk, Thomas/Lavelle), but nothing on official site. 
    I was hoping that we would bring in a good quality replacement for Stockley, I think it's very
    dangerous relying on just Bonne and Leaburn as our two main strikers, you certainly can't count on Aneke!  

• Sponsored links:

• It’s a good job we brought in Andy Scott to oversee all these loan and free transfer signings. He’s certainly earned his corn.
    It sounds like sarcasm, but I think he's done a great job. He's got rid of half a dozen "high" wage earners who aren't in our team/plans & got in a few who are better players.
    This HAS to be done if we want to get out of L1. 
    Half a dozen? Only 3 so far. Forget loans out. Other clubs won’t be paying full whack of the wages. 

• It’s a good job we brought in Andy Scott to oversee all these loan and free transfer signings. He’s certainly earned his corn.
    As a bottom half league 1 team, what are realistic expectation levels for a January transfer window?
  • So far, with just 6 and a half hours to go we have just 2 fit strikers on our books. 

We aren't getting anyone decent in are we  ??  And by decent I mean who has actually scored more goals this season than they have fingers on their right hand. 

• edited January 2023
    So far, with just 6 and a half hours to go we have just 2 fit strikers on our books. 

We aren't getting anyone decent in are we  ??  And by decent I mean who has actually scored more goals this season than they have fingers on their right hand. 

No is the simple answer.

We're not going to bring in someone to play third or fourth choice in a formation that only needs one striker on the pitch.
  • Looking more and more like AS was brought in to use his network and shift out 5-7 of the existing squad, replacing them with more cost effective alternatives. He will have earned his corn the way he is going, if all of this movement has been his doing…
    It sounds like sarcasm, but I think he's done a great job. He's got rid of half a dozen "high" wage earners who aren't in our team/plans & got in a few who are better players.
    This HAS to be done if we want to get out of L1. 

I agree and if by the window shutting we still have Leaburn, Dobson, Ness plus Rak Sakyi is still here on loan then it does appear that Andy Scott has does a decent job with the difficult remit he was given by TS.

To have a real go next season we would need to move on another half dozen in the August window and bring the same amount in who are better ! Plus convince our better 3 or 4 players we have ambition. That won't be easy unless we have new investment or a new owner.

Will Andy Scott even be here as he had a short term contract to move on the bigger earners who were struggling for game time under Holden.