Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Declan John an experienced left back from Bolton might be an option. He has not played much for the Trotters.
  • Scoham said:
    Ferguson has been mentioned a few times over the years. Can play left back as well 

Good player at this level. If his family home is still in London following his time at Millwall I could see this happening if we offered an eighteen month contact.
  • Last left-back we signed from Rotherham wasn't bad.
  • Is he this generation's Hayden Mullins?
  • Last left-back we signed from Rotherham wasn't bad.
    I agree, although many posters on here didn't seem to rate him
  • Trust me it doesn’t matter who we sign the player/players will not be as good as the likes of Paul Went ,Peter Reeves,Alan Campbell ,Bob Curtis and Dennis Booth who in total started over 1100 games for Charlton.
  • Let's get real
    Any footballer who is worth it will have offers from a number of clubs, why choose a basket case that is Charlton who are in a relegation fight with ownership difficulties, also what club will loan us players in the current situation?
  • Sponsored links:

• May of been mentioned before but Charlie Austin to Swindon is surely good business? Should do well in league 2.
    Short term deal may of helped us. 
  • edited December 2022
    Trust me it doesn’t matter who we sign the player/players will not be as good as the likes of Paul Went ,Peter Reeves,Alan Campbell ,Bob Curtis and Dennis Booth who in total started over 1100 games for Charlton.
    A touch of rose tinted spectacles going on here I think.
  • May of been mentioned before but Charlie Austin to Swindon is surely good business? Should do well in league 2.
    Short term deal may of helped us. 
    He’s finished and in our position be a gamble not worth taking. League two perhaps, just.
  • edited December 2022
    Remember when we used to argue about whether

Hamer
    Morrison
    Dervite
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Solly
    Evina
    Wilson
    Jackson
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Pritchard
    Burton 
    Kermorgant

Etc were good enough to join us.

😭
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Remember when we used to argue about whether

Hamer
    Morrison
    Dervite
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Solly
    Evina
    Wilson
    Jackson
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Pritchard
    Burton 
    Kermorgant

Etc were good enough to join us.

😭
    If any of them are available time to snap them up, even though some might be very rusty. Improvement on some of the garbage  currently here.  Wiggins might have to wait in the queue for the treatment room though.
  • I don't know anything about Ferguson but I'm weary of signing another 31-year-old on their way down the leagues.
  • Chunes said:
    Bonne would be better than nothing. But surely it's not either Bonne or nothing. 
    Bonne was a last min option someone based in London when our main target got his move to the championship .. we also went after a Millwall player before Bonne …. unlikey to be on our list of targets 
  • cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Frankly there are three quarters of the squad that aren’t good enough to get us out of league one. Tinkering with it this January will hopefully see off relegation but we really do need to hope that there is a change of ownership and that comes with both money and ambition. In my humble opinion this summer needs a turnover of players at around the 16 mark with around 9 being shoe in first teamers. I doubt we’ll get anywhere near close to that and HMS Piss The League is not even out of the drawing board stage.
    Absolutely this.  I still don’t understand why anyone else hangs onto the argument we’re 3 or 4 good players away.  9 shoe in first teamers is absolutely correct, not just 9 squad players.

the worry I have about Jan as a window is finding that quality that will make a difference long term.  3 examples of Jan signings, last season and the season before.  Mansfield in 2021 was given a 3 year contract, and he’s turned out to not be good enough.  Last year, Aneke and Fraser.  Both given long deals and not good enough to get us out this league.  We’re stuck with all 3 of them.  

As much as I would like a few new faces in Jan, I really hope that unless we’re signing them from a level above (unlikely), they’re short term deals and we don’t repeat the mistakes of the last 2 years.  We can’t afford to be giving crap players long deals like we have with Stockley, Kirk, Aneke etc etc 

AMB
    Sess. O'Connell. NEW.  NEW
    NEW    Dobson.   Fraser.   Rak Saki
               Leaburn .  NEW

Looks very decent to me if those new players were top quality (like Beilik/Taylor/Aribo style quality).

Would still leave Wollacott, Egbo, Aneke, McGrandles (maybe), Thomas (maybe) to come back from injury to pad out.  Obviously could always do with more and better but the above would be very decent for the second half of the season.

AMB has had a couple of decent games, and could indeed go on to be part of team capable of promotion, but it’s way too early to tell.  I think Sessegnon would be better at RB, so agree with putting him there.  I can’t see us strong enough with him at LB, given he’s not left footed.

We don’t know about O’Connell.  He had a couple of okay games prior to him getting injured, but again, we’ve not seen enough of him to say he’s capable of getting us promoted as one of two CBs.

Out of the midfield you’ve offered, I’ll take Dobson, but I’m not seeing enough from Fraser or Rak Saki to think they’re capable of promotion.  Fraser hasn’t lived up to the hype and Rak Saki showed early promise, but I don’t see consistency and an end product.  He’s still young, but I’ve had a lifetime of these step-over merchants and very few of them deliver that final, end product on a consistent basis.

I like Leaburn, I think he has a lot about him so would agree there, but it’s a big ask of him given where he’s given the stage of his career. 
    100% cabbs, Fraser and Rak Saki need to be got rid of and Leaburn is too young and inexperienced to lead the line of a team chasing promotion 
    Fraser .. no way he been one of the better players this season… and pushes us forward 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    I don't know anything about Ferguson but I'm weary of signing another 31-year-old on their way down the leagues.
    I don’t think we’ve got enough of those type of players and actually miss Pratley type players with experience and know how.
  • Chunes said:
    I don't know anything about Ferguson but I'm weary of signing another 31-year-old on their way down the leagues.
    It's a risk but the right experienced signings could play a big part in helping us stay in L1.
  • Yann897 said:
    Chunes said:
    I don’t think we’ve got enough of those type of players and actually miss Pratley type players with experience and know how.
    If he turns out to have Pratley's attitude and not be another Watson/Gunter I'd be over the moon obviously.
  • Yann897 said:
    Chunes said:
    Especially when one of our most senior players is going round forearming people off the ball for no reason. A bit of experience and discipline in the squad wouldn't hurt
  • Scoham said:
    Let's get real
    Any footballer who is worth it will have offers from a number of clubs, why choose a basket case that is Charlton who are in a relegation fight with ownership difficulties, also what club will loan us players in the current situation?
    I listened to one of the recent Twitter chats between Louis Mendez and Richard Cawley. After Holden was announced a fan had suggested we might struggle to sign players with a manager only here in the short term. Richard made the point that players generally go where the money is and that’s not as big a factor as fans believe it is.
    what money? 
  • Scoham said:
    Let's get real
    I listened to one of the recent Twitter chats between Louis Mendez and Richard Cawley. After Holden was announced a fan had suggested we might struggle to sign players with a manager only here in the short term. Richard made the point that players generally go where the money is and that’s not as big a factor as fans believe it is.
    what money? 
    It was more of a general point that money is a bigger factor for players than those other concerns.

I'm not saying we'll have money to spend in January. I'm hoping a decent budget is why Scott is here.
  • Footballers and Managers tend to live away from their families a lot more now than back in the day.

When we signed Billy Clarke from Bradford a few years ago he rented a flat with his former team mate Liam Trotter who had joined AFC Wimbledon. Clarke was always going to go back to Yorkshire when his career ended.

Over the last few years Leon Best, Johnnie Jackson and Ben Watson all seemed to have identified us as a club which suited them for family reasons.

I think an eighteen month contract to a player in their 30's who has their main family home in London could be a very attractive option.
  • Saxon Earley
    Being sold to a top end league 1 team. That rules us our