Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Options
    Fringe players leaving, who counts as a fringe player?

This is from Transfermarkt and is a table of the squad this season in minutes played order. Ironically the player behind the advert is the most likely to leave, JFC. Of this list I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of Kirk, CBT and DJ leave, especially as they've been here more than a year and the shape we seem to be playing moving forwards. The least likely of those is CBT, the most likely is DJ. Maybe we'll convince Stevenage to pay for Gilbey, and I'd be shocked if Craig MacGillivray is here come February. The other players I can see leaving (and hope to see leave to be honest) are Stockley, Morgan and Inniss, if we can find suitable replacements for each. 

If that left us with

Wollacott
    Maynard-Brewer

Egbo
    Clare

Lavelle
    O'Connell
    NEW 
    Thomas
    Ness

Sessegnon
    NEW

Dobson
    McGrandles
    Fraser
    Henry
    NEW

Rak-Sakyi
    Blackett-Taylor
    Payne
    Campbell 

Leaburn
    NEW
    NEW
    Aneke

With Mitchell, Kanu, Chin and Elewere getting loans out, and Maynard-Brewer, Ness, Campbell and Henry stepping up as the next youngsters that are considered first team players from here on out.

5 players in isn't that unrealistic IMO, especially if a couple of them are loans...
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-expecting-fringe-players-to-move-on-as-part-of-january-transfer-window-dealings/

Holden says we’ll be active and won’t give a time frame or number of signings we’re after. Some fringe players expected to leave.
    I think it will be harder to get players out than he is making out.  Especially the ones on longer contracts.  For the same reasons it might be difficult to attract players, on long term contracts, who are seeking first team football. 
    There must be some with shorter contracts that wouldn't be that difficult to move on.  JFC and MacGillvray only have 6 months left I think, how expensive would it really be to pay up the difference between what they are on with us and what they could earn (less) elsewhere?

Kirk and DJ I still think would have some demand elsewhere; albeit maybe more likely loan deals with us stuck with potentially a considerable % of their wages.

Aneke and Stockley I can't see us having any chance of moving on even if we wanted to.

If we wanted to trade CBs (not sure how possible in Jan anyway) then Innis is reportedly on low low wages so someone would take him, Thomas is out of contract or only has 6m left.  Lavelle we may be stuck with.

I can't see us moving on more than 2-3 simply because Jan is such a difficult month and replacing numbers with quality won't be easy.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Doubt we’ll get a new CB when we have O'Connell, Inniss, Lavelle, Ness & Mitchell. Inniss looks better post Garnerball, and Lavelle might finally be finding his form. Ness did well against Brighton and Peterborough, and Mitchell looks like one for the future. 
    I’d be pleased to see them signed a left footed CB, but I just don’t think they will. 
    Lavelle just looks more comfortable in the middle of a back 3 or 5 which ever way you want to call it. The 3 CB are now playing a lot more narrow, which doesn't allow them to be so exposed on inside.  
    But most of all, they have stopped trying to pretend they can pass the ball to each other accurately. Inniss in particular looks a much better player when hoofing it away.

Garner sacrificed our defence to chase a stupid tippy tappy routine completely inappropriate to divison 3. Too many coaching courses and not enough common sense..
    This ^ the oppo can’t score if the ball is in row Z 😉
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Southbank said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Doubt we’ll get a new CB when we have O'Connell, Inniss, Lavelle, Ness & Mitchell. Inniss looks better post Garnerball, and Lavelle might finally be finding his form. Ness did well against Brighton and Peterborough, and Mitchell looks like one for the future. 
    I’d be pleased to see them signed a left footed CB, but I just don’t think they will. 
    Lavelle just looks more comfortable in the middle of a back 3 or 5 which ever way you want to call it. The 3 CB are now playing a lot more narrow, which doesn't allow them to be so exposed on inside.  
    But most of all, they have stopped trying to pretend they can pass the ball to each other accurately. Inniss in particular looks a much better player when hoofing it away.

Garner sacrificed our defence to chase a stupid tippy tappy routine completely inappropriate to divison 3. Too many coaching courses and not enough common sense..
    But nor can we. Just because Inniss is not good enough to control and pass the ball doesn’t mean we shouldn’t aspire to someone who can. 
  • Options
    I think Mac, Morgan, JFC, Kirk, DJ and Stockley are the ones we’d allow to go. I expect 4 in, 3 out. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Southbank said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    JamesSeed said:

But nor can we. Just because Inniss is not good enough to control and pass the ball doesn’t mean we shouldn’t aspire to someone who can. 
    Wouldn’t argue with that but until we can get better in we need to let the existing players play to their strengths not weakness because it’s too much to ask of the youngsters game after game. 
  • Options
    People give an unbelievable amount of grief to McGrandles. He's been injured basically all season. He's made a grand total of 5 starts, 2 in the pizza cup, one where he went off injured after half an hour and one against Coalville in the FA Cup. He's played 430 minutes, and more of those were from his two games in the pizza cup than in the league. He's looked ropey when he's come on for his 11 minute cameos but that's because he's constantly chasing fitness and hasn't got a run together. Nothing for anyone to assess what he can bring to the team once he's fit. Yet he's included on all these lists of rubbish players we need to get rid of for some reason, despite the fact he's been suffering from injury and he's one of the only players in our squad who's actually shown an ability to play well in League One in his career. Bizarre.
    I find the opposite to be true for O’Connell and Egbo.  O’Connell had a couple of okay games prior to injury and Egbo looked okay, but in as much as people have written off McGrandles, we do it in equal measure sometimes at the other end of the scale.  Aneke was a cheat code after his return against Exeter.  It’s just a common football fan/forum type thing.  

McGrandles hasn’t really been given too much chance to shine as you point out, and I don’t think his case has been helped that BG went for him over a forward and we’re reasonably well covered in that position and his ultimate place in the team is held by Dobson.  He may be able to sit in alongside Dobson, but I see them very much as doing the same role, which unfortunately for McGrandles, he’s being compared to by far and away our best player.  It’s never going to be easy.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-expecting-fringe-players-to-move-on-as-part-of-january-transfer-window-dealings/

Holden says we’ll be active and won’t give a time frame or number of signings we’re after. Some fringe players expected to leave.
    I think it will be harder to get players out than he is making out.  Especially the ones on longer contracts.  For the same reasons it might be difficult to attract players, on long term contracts, who are seeking first team football. 
    There must be some with shorter contracts that wouldn't be that difficult to move on.  JFC and MacGillvray only have 6 months left I think, how expensive would it really be to pay up the difference between what they are on with us and what they could earn (less) elsewhere?

Kirk and DJ I still think would have some demand elsewhere; albeit maybe more likely loan deals with us stuck with potentially a considerable % of their wages.

Aneke and Stockley I can't see us having any chance of moving on even if we wanted to.

If we wanted to trade CBs (not sure how possible in Jan anyway) then Innis is reportedly on low low wages so someone would take him, Thomas is out of contract or only has 6m left.  Lavelle we may be stuck with.

I can't see us moving on more than 2-3 simply because Jan is such a difficult month and replacing numbers with quality won't be easy.
    Because they have to agree to it.  We saw it in the summer how hard it was to give Gilbey away.

Footballers move, mainly, either up for more money and down for regular team football.  I would guess that most of the players actually think they are good enough, why take a pay cut AND have to move if you think the manager/ownership might change again before your contract runs out?

They might also think they have more chance of getting a contract at a league 1 club next season if they don't go to league 2 now.  
  • Options
    Why do we assume this is being funded? 

If we're letting 5 or so go and sign 4 players, don't assume we're actually investing any money whatsoever. 

Our players are on fairly large salaries, if we shift some on it allows funds to be spent while keeping the budget exactly the same. 

Think people are being a little too optimistic. Proof is in the pudding. Loans and less than 3 actual signings is more of the same. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    JamesSeed said:

Nail on head.  Limited footballers can only take limited instructions and are limited in how they can use the ball.  This whole style of play is a bit of disease in the modern game to be honest.  For all the Garner Balls out there, look at the successes teams that go direct muster up over the years.  Garner’s an out of work manager, whereas someone like Steve Evans is most likely to notch up another promotion this season 
  • Options

If we're letting 5 or so go and sign 4 players, don't assume we're actually investing any money whatsoever. 

Our players are on fairly large salaries, if we shift some on it allows funds to be spent while keeping the budget exactly the same. 

Think people are being a little too optimistic. Proof is in the pudding. Loans and less than 3 actual signings is more of the same. 
    Because you don't hire 4 people (Scott in particular) just before a transfer window if you are expecting them to then sit around twiddling their thumbs.

It would be a waste of time and money for one thing, and it's unlikely that someone fairly high profile would take the job if he's getting chicken feed to work with.

That's not a guarantee that it will go well or money will be spent wisely or effectively but there's definitely something being planned.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Because you don't hire 4 people (Scott in particular) just before a transfer window if you are expecting them to then sit around twiddling their thumbs.

It would be a waste of time and money for one thing, and it's unlikely that someone fairly high profile would take the job if he's getting chicken feed to work with.

That's not a guarantee that it will go well or money will be spent wisely or effectively but there's definitely something being planned.
    Sandgaard has made some odd moves before that don't really make much sense. 

Just add it to the pile. 

If his son is still the one scouting and identifying players then my hopes for this transfer window are not high. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Sandgaard has made some odd moves before that don't really make much sense. 

Just add it to the pile. 

If his son is still the one scouting and identifying players then my hopes for this transfer window are not high. 
    I think Scott would not have agreed to come in if that was even close to being the case.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Scoham said:
    Sounds to me there will be a lot of movement both ways in January. 

I don't know who's financing the January transfer window, but someone definitely is.

Interesting times
    I’m really up for Stockley getting a decent move. We need better, but I think he could do very well in an L2 outfit like Wimbledon or Sutton. 
    Perhaps the same applies to Morgan, because of his inconsistency. On his day he’s very good indeed, but overall he’s frustrating the hell out of me. 
    Same with Kirk x2. He’ll do well elsewhere, but it just hasn’t worked from him here. Gotta ask yourself this question. Would Millwall sign him? (No they wouldn’t). 
    In fact we have ‘the Charlton height test’. Perhaps we should also have the ‘would Millwall sign them?’ test. They over-perform year after year, and we could learn from that.
    Saw highlights of one of their games a few weeks ago, and their work rate is terrifying. If they lose possession they get eleven men behind the ball very quickly, win it back, and break quickly. Players like Kirk float around waiting for things to happen. That’s just not good enough at our level.
    I like what I’ve seen, post Garner. We were clever v Brighton, albeit with a bit of the luck that you need. And defensively we looked reasonably solid v Peterborough, although not having defenders on the posts defending corners was worrying. I assume they’ll have addressed that. 
    What we really need is someone up front who can finish. Suspect Leaburn may be on his way, but let’s hope we can hang on to him. If he *does* go, then we need a proper replacement or we’re going to struggle big time. 
    PS I really enjoy the transfer window, but must learn to be less ‘rose tinted’ about signings. I’ve lost count of the number of players we’ve brought in who I thought might be great, who haven’t been, including Levitt, Arter, Lee, Souaré, Watson, Maddison and various Smiths and Smyths. It’s a very long list, if I’m honest. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Because they have to agree to it.  We saw it in the summer how hard it was to give Gilbey away.

Footballers move, mainly, either up for more money and down for regular team football.  I would guess that most of the players actually think they are good enough, why take a pay cut AND have to move if you think the manager/ownership might change again before your contract runs out?

They might also think they have more chance of getting a contract at a league 1 club next season if they don't go to league 2 now.  

Well of course they don't have to agree to it, goes without saying but you would think JFC would quite like the opportunity if it arose to get some minutes and a longer contract to protect his profession, if we can facilitate that with limited outlay that seems sensible for all parties, especially if it was somewhere like AFCW, Orient or Gills (now they may have money) so he wouldn't have to move.  McG, 6m on a contract and likely now 3rd choice knows he will be gone in the summer so same applies.

Kirk on loan somewhere up north I bet he snaps your arm off like he did going to Blackpool.

Was giving Gilbey away hard or was TS meddling and getting in the way which was certainly rumoured for many in/out transfers on here.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Well of course they don't have to agree to it, goes without saying but you would think JFC would quite like the opportunity if it arose to get some minutes and a longer contract to protect his profession, if we can facilitate that with limited outlay that seems sensible for all parties, especially if it was somewhere like AFCW, Orient or Gills (now they may have money) so he wouldn't have to move.  McG, 6m on a contract and likely now 3rd choice knows he will be gone in the summer so same applies.

Kirk on loan somewhere up north I bet he snaps your arm off like he did going to Blackpool.

Was giving Gilbey away hard or was TS meddling and getting in the way which was certainly rumoured for many in/out transfers on here.

I think Gilbey might make a return. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I think Gilbey might make a return. 
    I thought he already has?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Thomas wanted Gilbey to go to Lincoln, Lincoln wanted him, he didn't want to go to Lincoln.

If I was a JFC or a Morgan I wouldn't sign a contract with a 4th tier club now when there is a possibility that you could get one at a 3rd tier one in the summer.

Why would someone like Stockley, as suggested above, sign for Sutton when he has 18 months on his contract here?  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Thomas wanted Gilbey to go to Lincoln, Lincoln wanted him, he didn't want to go to Lincoln.

If I was a JFC or a Morgan I wouldn't sign a contract with a 3rd tier club now when there is a possibility that you could get one at a 2nd tier one in the summer.

Why would someone like Stockley, as suggested above, sign for Sutton when he has 18 months on his contract here?  
    No way do I see either getting close to a Championship move.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If I was a JFC or a Morgan I wouldn't sign a contract with a 3rd tier club now when there is a possibility that you could get one at a 2nd tier one in the summer.

Maybe if they move to Lithuania.  Not a chance either will get into the Championship over here

one is past it and the other has had too many false dawns and needs a new start 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Maybe if they move to Lithuania.  Not a chance either will get into the Championship over here

one is past it and the other has had too many false dawns and needs a new start 
    Sorry I meant 4th and 3rd, have now edited it.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

If I was a JFC or a Morgan I wouldn't sign a contract with a 4th tier club now when there is a possibility that you could get one at a 3rd tier one in the summer.

Except we were told (by you iirc) that JFC was going to AFCW in the summer until it got bodged up late on. What in his season to date would make him think he could now go to another L1 club?

Morgan I never mentioned, Stockley I said was unlikely to move so you are conflating posts/posters.
  • Options
    Getting players out the door is going to be just as difficult as getting them in. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Except we were told (by you iirc) that JFC was going to AFCW in the summer until it got bodged up late on. What in his season to date would make him think he could now go to another L1 club?

Morgan I never mentioned, Stockley I said was unlikely to move so you are conflating posts/posters.
    I never said JFC was going to Wimbledon.  I didn't say you said about Stockley I said it was suggested above.

I was saying why moving players on is harder than people think.  Having no certainty of the ownership and therefore manager is going to make it harder still.  Most players will fancy their chances of the manager doesn't rate them, or they don't fit the system,  that the next one will.

Re the JFC specific question, turn it round, what suggests he can't?  There is no evidence either way.  I would wager that he would back himself to go on trial in the summer and get a contract somewhere.
  • Options
    People give an unbelievable amount of grief to McGrandles. He's been injured basically all season. He's made a grand total of 5 starts, 2 in the pizza cup, one where he went off injured after half an hour and one against Coalville in the FA Cup. He's played 430 minutes, and more of those were from his two games in the pizza cup than in the league. He's looked ropey when he's come on for his 11 minute cameos but that's because he's constantly chasing fitness and hasn't got a run together. Nothing for anyone to assess what he can bring to the team once he's fit. Yet he's included on all these lists of rubbish players we need to get rid of for some reason, despite the fact he's been suffering from injury and he's one of the only players in our squad who's actually shown an ability to play well in League One in his career. Bizarre.
    It's really not bizarre, he's been appalling when he's played, and most suspect this is a clear sign he won't be good enough. I think deep down you know this too 
    What gave you this clear insight? Was it his 8 minute cameo against Sheff Weds? Or his 1 minute appearance against Lincoln? Maybe it was the 3 minutes he got against MK Dons? Was the 90 minutes where he played in the pizza cup along with a team made up of children and got an assist so upsetting? Thank God some of you aren't scouts when you reckon a few appearances for an unfit player are enough to write them off. We'd end up in an even worse off state than we are now
    It was his 59 minutes against Forest Green, where he looked like he won a competition to play. We're 4 points of relegation, seems odd you want to give him a free pass
    Haha well yes, that's exactly what I just said. Judging someone as ready to go on the sale list after one 59 minute appearance, the longest he's played in the league this season after coming back from injury and struggling for fitness is stupid. The bloke played 78 League One games before he came to us. I'm not giving him a free pass, I'm waiting to actually see him play a bit before I start wringing my hands about how he needs to be sold. Maybe he will turn out to be bad for us, but personally I'm going to wait until he's had a run in the side, maybe even played at least two games in a row before I start getting my whine klaxon fired up.
    Haha, no it's not just one 59 minute appearance as you know. Presume as you're gonna wait till every player has had a run in the team, you will reserve judgement on every player that signs. Joe Dodoo played 5 times for us, guess we will wait for your opinion that's he's a dud then!  I'll come back to this thread when he's sold to Lincoln/Bristol Rovers in next 2 years. Would love to be wrong 
  • Options
    This window had better be spectacularly good. What we currently have are absolutely shite. 
  • Options
    This window had better be spectacularly good. What we currently have are absolutely shite. 

It absolutely won't be.