Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    Feels a bit cheeky so I only do it for Charlton ones, but i find all Athletic articles open up in full on my iPhone if I just press ‘Show reader view’
  • Options
    Accessible article link...
    https://archive.ph/f6Gvg
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    This is a really interesting article and although parts of Holdens journey are tragically unique, it does demonstrate the brutality of football for professionals.
    Can someone pretty please copy and paste the article for us non subscribers?
    I'm using microsoft edge browser,

when the Athletic pop up appears right click mouse button on the article, and select 'open in immersive reader' it should then open up the article.
  • Options
    Or click this:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Accessible article link...
    https://archive.ph/f6Gvg

• Options
    Thanks @RC_CAFC
  • Options
    Impressive. And the fact he's turned things round in a relatively short space of time for me shows Garners misgivings rather than necessarily blaming poor transfer business.
    We look more like a team.
     Garner wasn't a strong enough character to put TS in his place. Jackson also in some ways.
     Not saying Holden is and it may just be that now TS has finally wound his neck in/disappeared it is allowing the manager to get on with managing. 
  • Options
    Portsmouth were next on New Year’s Day. We were strong. We took 1,800 behind the goal

But the fact we can take 10,000 on a day when there are train strikes shows the size of this club

He’s settled in nicely exaggerating our away followings , 1380 we took according to our programme .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing is for sure reading that, he will put his heart and soul into this role. Does his contract expire in June? If so, it will be bloody typical, does a great job for us bearing in mind where we are today, landing about 6-8th before another club snaps him up… Our lot in life. 

By the way, did anybody else see his interaction with Clare at the end of the first half on Saturday? He was annoyed with Sean for being too slow in getting into position for a late free kick in our favour. Dean was in the right, but Sean’s reaction wasn’t great, throwing his right arm in the air petulantly. Sean needs to learn from that, but having read that article, suspect he got it right in the ear in the dressing room too. Easy example to play off…

Good luck to Dean for the rest of the season. 
  • Options
    One thing is for sure reading that, he will put his heart and soul into this role. Does his contract expire in June? If so, it will be bloody typical, does a great job for us bearing in mind where we are today, landing about 6-8th before another club snaps him up… Our lot in life. 

By the way, did anybody else see his interaction with Clare at the end of the first half on Saturday? He was annoyed with Sean for being too slow in getting into position for a late free kick in our favour. Dean was in the right, but Sean’s reaction wasn’t great, throwing his right arm in the air petulantly. Sean needs to learn from that, but having read that article, suspect he got it right in the ear in the dressing room too. Easy example to play off…

Saw him go straight up to Morgan at half time. Put an arm around him and gave him a big pat on the back. Probably what Morgan needs, a bit of confidence.
    Clare is probably a different character so the harsh approach is more effective?
     The best coaches know exactly what makes individuals tick.
  • Options
    I like his swearing as much as @oohaahmortimer 's
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I like his swearing as much as @oohaahmortimer 's
    Perhaps they are both addicted to Cadbury's fake chocolate?  ;)

• Options
    For me, it's what Holden achieves going forward that's important, not his past.
    On paper, Adkins' track record of getting Southampton from L1 to the Prem looked a decent fit, but look how that turned out (noting that support in the transfer windows didn't help the situation).
    Holden seems positive and able to galvanise the squad. 
    Good luck to him, hoping it continues!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    CBT likes him. I think the difference is there to see. No issue using our talented youngsters for senior roles and its worked nicely (so far) for Ness, who I thought looked solid against Lincoln. I feel Innis has turned into the defender we expected when he first signed..no nonsense, winning headers etc. 

P'boro was a game we should have won I think, Oxofrd was a shocker but the last 2 results have been good and we have played well. He said he would make us more direct and we really have been.

Hope he can keep it up and we can have some managerial stability. 
  • Options

Saw him go straight up to Morgan at half time. Put an arm around him and gave him a big pat on the back. Probably what Morgan needs, a bit of confidence.
    Clare is probably a different character so the harsh approach is more effective?
     The best coaches know exactly what makes individuals tick.
    Some people need a carrot, some need a stick. Some you need to hit with the carrot.

Proper management is applying the best approach for each person at the right time not just a one size fits all style.
  • Options
    really like the fella, doesn't seem to mince his words.

tragic story about his daughter.

I was a bit gutted when Garner left as I actually liked him, but fingers crossed Deano proves an upgrade and is here for a long time to come.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    @carly burn
    So we have Albie Morgan - all the effort good attitude reportedly, but not enough of the skillset to become a top player. 

then we have Sean Clare - Clearly a very talented player but none of the effort or attitude needed to become a top player. 

To be honest, if we're gonna have players that aren't good enough (I'd prefer ones that are btw) then I'd prefer they at least put the work in every minute they're on the pitch and are happy to fight for their place or play where the manager instructs. 
  • Options
    I want this bloke to succeed..we just need him to be backed with 3 decent signings 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    @carly burn
    So we have Albie Morgan - all the effort good attitude reportedly, but not enough of the skillset to become a top player. 

then we have Sean Clare - Clearly a very talented player but none of the effort or attitude needed to become a top player. 

To be honest, if we're gonna have players that aren't good enough (I'd prefer ones that are btw) then I'd prefer they at least put the work in every minute they're on the pitch and are happy to fight for their place or play where the manager instructs. 
    Of course. But it's a very fine balance.
    It was touched on in the Charlton live podcast last night. They spoke about CBT and his finishing ratio. We all know it isn't great, but if it was ,do you think he would be hanging around in league one?
    Unless you're prepared to spend a very large amount on wages in this league then the likelihood is the best players will move on.
    On the flip of that, It's a brutal league where those that are not up to it can very quickly find themselves playing non league football in a short space of time.

There is talent in this squad and we have to hope Holden can squeeze it out of them on a consistent basis. That is the key.
  • Options
    Got a feeling Warnock charges a bit of a premium for coming south of Watford. 

Proper Northerner
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    DA9 said:
    This is a really interesting article and although parts of Holdens journey are tragically unique, it does demonstrate the brutality of football for professionals.
    Can someone pretty please copy and paste the article for us non subscribers?

New Charlton Athletic manager Dean Holden, 43, walks alone into The Royal Oak public house on Charlton Lane, a minute’s walk from The Valley. The Addicks have just knocked Brighton out of the Carabao Cup on penalties, but Holden, on a contract until the summer, won’t take charge of the team until the morning. He wants to survey the mood of the fans of the club which he’s now hoping to stabilise after a turbulent season.

After meeting one of my mates in the Oak that night, we're f***in lucky he's bothered turning up for his first day
  • Options
    If he can get the best out of these players then he deserves the job - no point having a  manager with a strategy that the players can't adapt to.

That's exactly the manager's job ...... to get the best out of his players.
    And he'll be judged on results.

• Options
    I know it's early days and Charlton can't stop having flings with new managers since the curbs long term relationship, but could Dean Holden possibly be:

"The One"

By that I mean will he still be at Charlton within 2-3 years?

I hope he just sticks it out...doesn't eventually whinge to the press like some others, and just gets on with the job.

Last night's game most likely would have been great for the dressing room and team spirit