Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    The guy was offered the job, of course he is going to take it, he'll have faith in his own ability, even Mr Fraeye did.
    My concern is with who appointed him, as long as the sale  goes through, our new owners.
    Nobody will tell me otherwise, putting it mildly, there are a lot more people more qualified and experienced.

• Options
    Just don’t know how we’ll survive without garner 
    what’s each managers(all 3 of em)  ppg @Callumcafc (sorry you’re the only one I’d trust to get this right apart from myself but I’m too tired to work it out ) 
  • Options
    Holden said O'Connell has only trained a few days BUT it was a choice between him and Lavelle on the bench so.....

I like that! I like it a lot!

• Options
    The guy was offered the job, of course he is going to take it, he'll have faith in his own ability, even Mr Fraeye did.
    My concern is with who appointed him, as long as the sale  goes through, our new owners.
    Nobody will tell me otherwise, putting it mildly, there are a lot more people more qualified and experienced.

There aren't loads of good managers out there - we've struggled to find them.

He deserves a chance.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

Look at his managerial history.
  • Options

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

His record at Bristol City was perfectly respectable. They've not improved since he was replaced
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I personally think managers matter little compared to owners. But that being said I like this guy's temperament. Unless we are in the relegation zone I believe he is as good as anything else out there we can get and would keep him even for 2 more seasons if we were stuck in 12-15th. We need change at the top. Managers are in most cases middle management, especially in the lower leagues. We need change at the top. 
  • Options

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

His record at Bristol City was perfectly respectable. They've not improved since he was replaced
    This is also true of CAFC since (insert manager X.)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

What was Bowyer's managerial history? Or Powell's, or Curbs'...
    Holden will almost certainly not be here in 12 months time.

We should have brought somebody in with experience, without a doubt.
  • Options

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

Managed 60 games in his career and we cannot find somebody better suited? 
  • Options

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

Managed 60 games in his career and we cannot find somebody better suited? 
    Adkins has a couple of promotions on his CV…
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

It's not that simple though is it. A properly proven manager with experience and a good record is never going to take a short term contract at a basket case of a club like this. They don't need to, the risk vs reward is not worth it.

And until we know if someone, anyone, is actually going to complete a takeover, let alone who that someone is and their relative wealth and experience, no one will be offering the kind of money to tempt a proven name manager in.

• Options
    He makes me feel sea sick in interviews, wish he’d stand still

so far, so good, no nonsense attitude 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

It's not that simple though is it. A properly proven manager with experience and a good record is never going to take a short term contract at a basket case of a club like this. They don't need to, the risk vs reward is not worth it.

And until we know if someone, anyone, is actually going to complete a takeover, let alone who that someone is and their relative wealth and experience, no one will be offering the kind of money to tempt a proven name manager in.

This is fair enough but there MUST be somebody out there more suited.
    Fifty games on a CV when we were 3 or four points off the bottom four is not good enough.
    There cannot be any Charlton fan who was happy when they found out Holden was coming in.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

Fifty games on a CV when we were 3 or four points off the bottom four is not good enough.
    There cannot be any Charlton fan who was happy when they found out Holden was coming in.
    But is anyone actually more suited? An experienced manager would know that going back to basics and getting the team spirit back... which is what he's doing anyway.

I was not very impressed at the time and he's far from proven but I genuinely don't think that in our current situation there's any (realistic) options that would have done any better.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Four games in: two wins, a draw and an away loss.
    Play off form that it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mick McCarthy was at Charlton yesterday , he didn’t look well … wasn’t sure how old he was looked it up , 63 , he looked 70+
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

But is anyone actually more suited? An experienced manager would know that going back to basics and getting the team spirit back... which is what he's doing anyway.

I was not very impressed at the time and he's far from proven but I genuinely don't think that in our current situation there's any (realistic) options that would have done any better.
    I would have been very sceptical about anyone Thomas appointed on his own.  Holden wouldn't have been my choice, that's probably a good thing because I would have given it to Mick Mccarthy!

Although some people won't ever be happy if it's not someone from the past, someone who "knows the club".

McCarthy would have been a good appointment.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

I would have been very sceptical about anyone Thomas appointed on his own.  Holden wouldn't have been my choice, that's probably a good thing because I would have given it to Mick Mccarthy!

Although some people won't ever be happy if it's not someone from the past, someone who "knows the club".

Are you just on the wind up Elfsborg? All our best recent managers have had no experience in management whatsoever and lots of our worst have had loads.

Holden’s only real previous managerial role saw him have a better win record than the (experienced) Nigel Pearson who took over from him.

He wasn’t anyone’s first choice, mainly because of the apathy in the club at the time, but he’s made an excellent start and has got that team playing really well already.

I really like how level headed he seems. Not too high for a win, not too down for a defeat. Just look for the positives and areas to work on and move on to the next.
  • Options
    He has obviously bought into the old Curbs adage
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

Are you just on the wind up Elfsborg? All our best recent managers have had no experience in management whatsoever and lots of our worst have had loads.

Holden’s only real previous managerial role saw him have a better win record than the (experienced) Nigel Adkins who took over from him.

He wasn’t anyone’s first choice, mainly because of the apathy in the club at the time, but he’s made an excellent start and has got that team playing really well already.

I really like how level headed he seems. Not too high for a win, not too down for a defeat. Just look for the positives and areas to work on and move on to the next.
    Do you mean Nigel Pearson?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

Holden’s only real previous managerial role saw him have a better win record than the (experienced) Nigel Adkins who took over from him.

Ha. Thanks edited. Knew that didn’t look right.

Still backs up my point of very experienced managers here who have failed though.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

Holden’s only real previous managerial role saw him have a better win record than the (experienced) Nigel Pearson who took over from him.

No, I am not.

I have nothing against the fella and hope he does well, but stand by what I have previously posted.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

Ha. Thanks edited. Knew that didn’t look right.

Still backs up my point of very experienced managers here who have failed though.
    Yeah totally agree.