Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    Just a note of caution in this. Saturday was Holden’s 5 game as manager.

Nigel Adkins 5th game was the 6-0 hiding we gave Plymouth away. We were unbeaten in those 5 games and 3rd win in 4 games. Adkins was said to be the experienced manager we needed

Same with Jonnie Jackson. 5th game was the brilliant 2-0 win against Plymouth. We’d won 4 and drawn 1 of those 5 games. Jacko was said to be the legend that gets us that we needed. 

Ben Garner’s 5th game was the 5-1 demolition of, yes you’ve guessed it, Plymouth. Again a decent run of 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat and the QPR pens win. Garnerball was said to be the progressive coach making a name for himself that we needed

Good starts from new managers has been a common theme in recent years which Holden is also experiencing. This proved in all cases outperforming, and we soon dipped back off again. Can Holden buck the trend?
    So the lessen is that we need to keep sacking managers! Give them 10 games, then get rid  of them once the new manager bounce has stopped  ;)
    And strategically plan everything around Plymouth 
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Nigel Adkins 5th game was the 6-0 hiding we gave Plymouth away. We were unbeaten in those 5 games and 3rd win in 4 games. Adkins was said to be the experienced manager we needed

Same with Jonnie Jackson. 5th game was the brilliant 2-0 win against Plymouth. We’d won 4 and drawn 1 of those 5 games. Jacko was said to be the legend that gets us that we needed. 

Ben Garner’s 5th game was the 5-1 demolition of, yes you’ve guessed it, Plymouth. Again a decent run of 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat and the QPR pens win. Garnerball was said to be the progressive coach making a name for himself that we needed

Good starts from new managers has been a common theme in recent years which Holden is also experiencing. This proved in all cases outperforming, and we soon dipped back off again. Can Holden buck the trend?
     I think only Sandgaard was saying that tbh.
    That’s just not true mate, everybody was impressed at a similar .4-5 games in. Read the bottom half of this page which covered this period, or the Plymouth post match thread

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/94039/next-manager-ben-garner-confirmed-p256/p281

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/94569/post-match-thread-charlton-athletic-v-plymouth-argyle-tuesday-16th-august-2022/p1
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Leaburn hasn’t scored any in this 3 game winning streak .
    Hes been a nuisance but his shooting boots aren’t working currently 
    This is true and he isn't the finished article but the system with him and the two wide players does pose a threat and this is something we haven't done enough of recently. Having said that, what will be interesting in the context of this season is when we play a crap team that parks the bus. To be fair to Lincoln, they didn't so we haven't come up against one of those yet under Holden. Sort that out and it will look extremely positive.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Think Leaburn has looked tired over the past few games and not his usual energetic self. Could do with a game off. It's crazy we don't hit more crosses to him considering his size. He's only two inches shorter than Peter Crouch. 
  • Options
    For what it's worth, every manager fell apart when it came to not getting the transfers they needed to properly build their own squad or freshen it up. 

I still believe Adkins, Jackson or Garner could have done very well with a decent owner, instead of one that has interfered and force players and tactics on them. 

They're the manager, let them do their job. 

Now it's Holden's turn, we're in a transfer window and have signed two players that immediately strengthened what we had and then one immediately got injured which is SO Charlton it's unreal.

We need to see out the transfer window and judge both the new owners (if done in time) and the new manager thereafter. It's not unfair though to say he's getting a response out of many of these players, even if it's only after 5 games.
  • Options
    When does the Man United gate receipt money come in?

Will it go to offsetting losses, or straight in someones back pocket?

Could be used in the transfer window / and or for announcing Dobbo's new contract.
  • Options

Could be used in the transfer window / and or for announcing Dobbo's new contract.
    Think it’s within 14 days of the date of the game. I may have that wrong but sure I read it somewhere.
  • Options

Think it’s within 14 days of the date of the game. I may have that wrong but sure I read it somewhere.

• Options
    edited January 2023

I think only Sandgaard was saying that tbh.
    That’s just not true mate, everybody was impressed at a similar .4-5 games in. Read the bottom half of this page which covered this period, or the Plymouth post match thread

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/94039/next-manager-ben-garner-confirmed-p256/p281

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/94569/post-match-thread-charlton-athletic-v-plymouth-argyle-tuesday-16th-august-2022/p1
    And then the transfer window shut and Sandgaard had refused to spend on players and the injuries racked up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking forward to hearing more from Holden on Thursday at Bromley Addicks 

Whether it's just a new manager bounce, a charge to the play offs or only steading a relegation threatened ship he's our manager 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Yes, I'm sure a lot of Charlton fans would love to hear from him. He has done brilliantly since Oxford and won the fans over incredibly quickly. We are now excitedly looking where this man is going to take us.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Good to hear from you too @HenryIrving
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Double page interview in the i newspaper today. Not on the website yet but may be able to post a link tomorrow. 
  • Options
    I am certainly won over.
    The results have helped, and he is an estimable man.
    I hope it works out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The legend that is Steve Gritt also had to deal with the utterly devastating tragedy of losing Hayley.
    I think there is a lot of correlation between Gritty and Holden.
    Younger fans may not realise how significant Steve Gritt has been to a slightly older generation of us.
    I get a Gritty vibe from Holden.
  • Options
    I think our culture has a couple of unique features.
    Founded by poor 15 year old boys from the dirty mean industrial streets of the area, and the history and experience of fan activism.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think our culture has a couple of unique features.
    Founded by poor 15 year old boys from the dirty mean industrial streets of the area, and the history and experience of fan activism.
    Yes this is true, all other clubs have their own story as well, but it doesn't effect the managers day to day job either.  Adkins, Garner and Robinson also spoke about research and knowing the history.  It matters not a jot if you don't win enough games, which none of them did. 
  • Options
    I think a big thing with Holden is that he's a genuine football fan and hasn't let his time in the game dilute that love - that'll be a factor in why he just seems to 'get it'.
  • Options
    hermann said:
    I think a big thing with Holden is that he's a genuine football fan and hasn't let his time in the game dilute that love - that'll be a factor in why he just seems to 'get it'.
    Is that him getting us or us getting him? 
  • Options

Thought of this comment today at full time. Like you say @AFKABartram I’m hopeful that Holden can buck the trend and we can get some more winning runs going but hearing him talk about trimming the squad with more importance than adding to it is making me think we’ll continue to find things tough.
  • Options
    The ‘decent for 6 games’ manager run seems to have run it’s natural course.