Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    I like to listen to Dean Holden but I wish he would stop doing his interviews on a skateboard; a bit of Northern bluntness is fine plus after the disaster of playing Thomas as the LCB and the right footed Chin as the left Wing back against Oxford when Robinson couldn't believe his luck, Deano has learnt quick and players appear to be finding their best positions ( yes I know Sess is filling in as a LB but he doing ok) I just wish Steven Sessegnon could play more matches in a row.

You need luck as a manager as well as nous and I don't want any more changes for now with coaches but as we know football is political and owners have their go to Coaches and Managers who net work well and have good agents. Chaos continues to reign at Cafc as we are the football soap opera with crazy storylines. 

9,400 midweek in Manchester hopefully indicates we have potential to be a championship backed team if we had a modicum of success but we will need to have a stronger 18 by Feb 1st not weaker.

I'm just not convinced as I'm still working out Andy Scott's remit with Thomas Sandgaard?

• Options
    Holden played most of his career in the lower leagues. He knows what it's about. Garners experience was from training manuals, courses, and coaching, not managing. he didn't have a plan b and didn't stop non footballing centre backs from trying to play football. Holden seems to have gone back to basics. I'm favouring Holden over garner at this stage but Holden hasn't had enough time yet for an equal comparison to be made.
    I think it's very hard to compare them under the circumstances.

Holden has come in and had to play the hand he was delt.  You could argue that Ganer could have played his hand better but also he didn't get the hand I thought he was getting.

Holden knows its a short term gig and can't spend time worrying about football philosophy even developing players for next season, yet.

I think we saw the change in Adkins, and maybe in hindsight Bowyer,  when the goal posts were moved, promises broken and noses stuck in.  Maybe even Jackson when the job changed from short term to medium term as the expectations change.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I wouldn't write Garner off in quite such a cavalier manner as some of you are. When we were good under him, we were very good. Perhaps he didn't quite tailor it to our players, but he did hit on a 4-4-2 with Leaburn, Fraser/Dobbo and Inniss/EOC as the spine, only for injuries to rob him of it 
    Garner can be successful but having a philosophy like his that he sticks to doesn’t align with a club desperate to get promoted and with a limited budget. He needs to be supported with time and the budget to bring in the right type of players. Instead we were renewing Inniss’s contract, making Stockley captain etc.
  • Options

@ElfsborgAddick this must give you some comfort? Sounds like he’s a lot closer to Warnock, McCarthy etc than Garner. If Holden gets us to mid table he’d have done as much as any of those three you named could do in the same situation.
  • Options
    Garnerball wasn’t suited to average to poor league one players. They are basically just not good enough to have the consistency required. Too many of our players have an enormous mistake in them. I think Garners future is as a coach in the PL and perhaps not manager. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    PWR

Don’t know if someone else has posted this? Holden on losing his daughter.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/charlton-manager-dean-holden-daughter-28901815

Tragic experience.
  • Options
    "Pure" coaches/managers do seem to have higher peaks and deeper troughs. I look at Liam Manning at MKD where last season with the right players his team were successful playing great passing football, whereas this year having lost and not adequately replaced many of his best players, it was a real struggle until he got sacked.

A more pragmatic manager wouldn't have overachieved like Manning did last season, but might have done better this season, grinding out results, rather than trying to play passing football all the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    If Holden continues to do well there's no doubt he'll be rewarded with a contract. 
    Like Riga you mean.
     Riga was an exception to the rule. He certainly should have been given a contract at that time. We might not be where we are now...
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    This is a really interesting article and although parts of Holdens journey are tragically unique, it does demonstrate the brutality of football for professionals.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The guy was offered the job, of course he is going to take it, he'll have faith in his own ability, even Mr Fraeye did.
    My concern is with who appointed him, as long as the sale  goes through, our new owners.
    Nobody will tell me otherwise, putting it mildly, there are a lot more people more qualified and experienced.

There aren't loads of good managers out there - we've struggled to find them.

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

Look at his managerial history.
    What was Bowyer's managerial history? Or Powell's, or Curbs'...
    Holden will almost certainly not be here in 12 months time.

We should have brought somebody in with experience, without a doubt.
    It's not that simple though is it. A properly proven manager with experience and a good record is never going to take a short term contract at a basket case of a club like this. They don't need to, the risk vs reward is not worth it.

And until we know if someone, anyone, is actually going to complete a takeover, let alone who that someone is and their relative wealth and experience, no one will be offering the kind of money to tempt a proven name manager in.

This is fair enough but there MUST be somebody out there more suited.
    Fifty games on a CV when we were 3 or four points off the bottom four is not good enough.
    There cannot be any Charlton fan who was happy when they found out Holden was coming in.
    But is anyone actually more suited? An experienced manager would know that going back to basics and getting the team spirit back... which is what he's doing anyway.

I was not very impressed at the time and he's far from proven but I genuinely don't think that in our current situation there's any (realistic) options that would have done any better.
    I would have been very sceptical about anyone Thomas appointed on his own.  Holden wouldn't have been my choice, that's probably a good thing because I would have given it to Mick Mccarthy!

Although some people won't ever be happy if it's not someone from the past, someone who "knows the club".

McCarthy would have been a good appointment.
    Are you just on the wind up Elfsborg? All our best recent managers have had no experience in management whatsoever and lots of our worst have had loads.

Holden’s only real previous managerial role saw him have a better win record than the (experienced) Nigel Pearson who took over from him.

He wasn’t anyone’s first choice, mainly because of the apathy in the club at the time, but he’s made an excellent start and has got that team playing really well already.

I really like how level headed he seems. Not too high for a win, not too down for a defeat. Just look for the positives and areas to work on and move on to the next.
    You haven’t had the pleasure of meeting Elfs have you ! 😉
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The guy was offered the job, of course he is going to take it, he'll have faith in his own ability, even Mr Fraeye did.
    My concern is with who appointed him, as long as the sale  goes through, our new owners.
    Nobody will tell me otherwise, putting it mildly, there are a lot more people more qualified and experienced.

There aren't loads of good managers out there - we've struggled to find them.

He deserves a chance.
    Rubbish.

Look at his managerial history.
    What was Bowyer's managerial history? Or Powell's, or Curbs'...
    Holden will almost certainly not be here in 12 months time.

We should have brought somebody in with experience, without a doubt.
    It's not that simple though is it. A properly proven manager with experience and a good record is never going to take a short term contract at a basket case of a club like this. They don't need to, the risk vs reward is not worth it.

And until we know if someone, anyone, is actually going to complete a takeover, let alone who that someone is and their relative wealth and experience, no one will be offering the kind of money to tempt a proven name manager in.

This is fair enough but there MUST be somebody out there more suited.
    Fifty games on a CV when we were 3 or four points off the bottom four is not good enough.
    There cannot be any Charlton fan who was happy when they found out Holden was coming in.
    But is anyone actually more suited? An experienced manager would know that going back to basics and getting the team spirit back... which is what he's doing anyway.

I was not very impressed at the time and he's far from proven but I genuinely don't think that in our current situation there's any (realistic) options that would have done any better.
    I would have been very sceptical about anyone Thomas appointed on his own.  Holden wouldn't have been my choice, that's probably a good thing because I would have given it to Mick Mccarthy!

Although some people won't ever be happy if it's not someone from the past, someone who "knows the club".

McCarthy would have been a good appointment.
    Are you just on the wind up Elfsborg? All our best recent managers have had no experience in management whatsoever and lots of our worst have had loads.

Holden’s only real previous managerial role saw him have a better win record than the (experienced) Nigel Pearson who took over from him.

He wasn’t anyone’s first choice, mainly because of the apathy in the club at the time, but he’s made an excellent start and has got that team playing really well already.

I really like how level headed he seems. Not too high for a win, not too down for a defeat. Just look for the positives and areas to work on and move on to the next.
    You haven’t had the pleasure of meeting Elfs have you ! 😉
    As you are the oldest poster on this board I shall show you the respect you do not give me.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I hope that ends the argument about whether these players 'always try.'
  • Options
    This is a really interesting article and although parts of Holdens journey are tragically unique, it does demonstrate the brutality of football for professionals.
    Can someone pretty please copy and paste the article for us non subscribers?
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    I'm not a subscriber but got it by saying yes to seeing it in page format?or something like that in a pop up.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    I'm not a subscriber but got it by saying yes to seeing it in page format?or something like that in a pop up.
    not getting that pop up 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Removepaywall.com is a godsend. Just bookmark it and paste article links in there
  • Options
    Yeah, thanks for posting  @rc_cafc
  • Options
    That's about five cuts above other football writing I usually read... 
  • Options
    "Dean Holden's Barmy Army". ??
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Great article - would have no hesitation in signing up for the Athletic if they did regular Charlton stuff.