Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    Think he could be the best manager since you know who…

SCP :-)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Lets not exaggerate him simply asking the players to lift their heads and look at him. It's being incorrectly referenced as some kind of Football factory thing on here now.
    Everything is being exaggerated at the moment.

Holden's doing fine,
    Bonne is a half decent signing,
    We know nothing hard of those trying to buy the club,
    Stockley isn't that bad (just doesn't suit our formation),  
    Garner wasn't bad
    We didn't play that well/badly against Man U
    Fraser's mistake wasn't that bad in the game.
    Clare isn't that bad at RB (we just have a better one in Egbo)

It’s not just a formation thing with Stockley imho.  

As for the second bit, well, enjoy the good performances when you can, particularly against the richest club in the world featuring a world cup winner and a bunch of internationals. To be in with a shout in the 90th minute, with our goalie not having been bombarded all match was way beyond my expectations. 

Agree about Fraser though. Even if his shot had been on target the keeper might have saved it. 
  • Options
    I like what I see so far.When Lennie took up the reins he was far from a household name and that ended well ..let's face it we've been playing manager bingo for a longtime maybe this one can come good..I wish him well and I ll get behind him .
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Gribbo said:
    Got a feeling Warnock charges a bit of a premium for coming south of Watford. 

Proper Northerner
    He lives in Cornwall now
    He borrowed Dale Stephens compas to get there
  • Options
    Really starting to warm to him! He is slowly pulling me back in. 
  • Options
    We’ve got a good one. Bowyer-esque but less of a hot head.
  • Options
    Not afraid to admit I may have been wrong to mug him off prior to his appointment. He's got some fight into our side which has been absent for far too long. Hope it continues.
  • Options
    Deserves time now to build his own squad. 

Could well be a new manager bounce but feel he's justified giving him the next season to see how far he can go with us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't overly excited by Holden's appointment... I dont usually need a name to get me off my seat, but I just couldn't put my finger on it with Dean.

Fair play though, have felt for a while that these players needed snapping in half with some tough love
  • Options
    Bowyer and Jacko apart - I have not taken to any of the multiple managers since Powells appointment - especially intensely disliked the succession of network managers. Then Slade, Robinson, Atkins - meh!

Holden is a breath of fresh air though, proper football man - knows the game and not tainted by association with the Belgian goon. Early days of course.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Garner was excellent at winning possession stats, but not so good at winning football matches.
    Holden is taking advantage of Garners input, by working with players who's passing and ball procession has improved, but combined that with his own, no nonsense, more direct style, to actually get wins on the board.

I get the feeling that the planets are aligning at just the right time.

Getting O'Connell back is huge. If we can hang on to Leaburn and Raksaki and add a couple more, we could have an exciting run up into the playoffs.
  • Options
    I'm not getting too carried away yet as i was impressed with how we looked early on under Garner and Jackson. But the signs are definitely promising so far.

2 tough games next though but if we can come through those with 4 points then we can start to believe. Hopefully the injuries to Sess and Kane are not too bad though.
  • Options
    Holden knows more about us, our players, downfalls and youth than I expected him to.
  • Options
    More of a manager than Garner who seemed to have more of a focus on coaching. Hopefully he continues to do well 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    This is a bunch of absurd gobbledigook. The truth is, he got Leaburn back from injury and asked the defenders to go safety-first if in doubt, while organising our defensive shape a little more carefully. That's it. 
    I agree Leuth, I don’t think Leaburn is fully fit yet, but having him back has made a big difference, especially with Stockley not scoring goals, and Chuks being out of action again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t argue with his results he has achieved so far. Liking how he comes across. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This is a bunch of absurd gobbledigook. The truth is, he got Leaburn back from injury and asked the defenders to go safety-first if in doubt, while organising our defensive shape a little more carefully. That's it. 
    Agreed. He's done a good job so far but Curbs was saying decades ago that on a bad run you just go back to the basics. It's not easy (you have to pick up morale and get fed up players to buy into you) but it's simple enough.
  • Options
    warming to him but we’ve been here before with jacko ten games and they were done so we’ll see. I think our last two at least jacko and garner maybe 3’s biggest issue is reluctance to change the formation regardless of personnel or performance. He was brave Saturday dropping sc am and cbt 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Gribbo said:

Proper Northerner
    He lives in Cornwall now

TEL said:
    Gribbo said:

Proper Northerner
    He lives in Devon

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but even so, living in Devon or Cornwall ain't managing Charlton is it
  • Options
    Leaburn hasn’t scored any in this 3 game winning streak .
    Hes been a nuisance but his shooting boots aren’t working currently 
  • Options
    oohaahmortimer said:
    Leaburn hasn’t scored any in this 3 game winning streak .
    Hes been a nuisance but his shooting boots aren’t working currently 

Get Stockley back in?
  • Options
    Just a note of caution in this. Saturday was Holden’s 5 game as manager.

Nigel Adkins 5th game was the 6-0 hiding we gave Plymouth away. We were unbeaten in those 5 games and 3rd win in 4 games. Adkins was said to be the experienced manager we needed

Same with Jonnie Jackson. 5th game was the brilliant 2-0 win against Plymouth. We’d won 4 and drawn 1 of those 5 games. Jacko was said to be the legend that gets us that we needed. 

Ben Garner’s 5th game was the 5-1 demolition of, yes you’ve guessed it, Plymouth. Again a decent run of 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat and the QPR pens win. Garnerball was said to be the progressive coach making a name for himself that we needed

Good starts from new managers has been a common theme in recent years which Holden is also experiencing. This proved in all cases outperforming, and we soon dipped back off again. Can Holden buck the trend?
     I think only Sandgaard was saying that tbh.