Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 22nd October 2022 - 3pm

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I didn't see the game but listened to it on CATV.
    It sounded to me as though we are finally 'clicking', that partnerships are being formed and confidence is rising. 
    I said a few weeks back I wasn't going for a while despite being a ST holder, as I wasn't going to waste time and petrol money travelling down to The Valley, until performances improved. I still can't make midweek games however I will be at the Ipswich game, and hopefully every Saturday home game till the end of the season.
    Some people may find my absence 'fickle' and I understand that, but I did say I would return if performances picked up....and they have.
    Let's hope they get another 3 points on Tuesday as Saturday will be a very difficult game!

• Options

The rub of the green we deserved , still can’t believe he missed it …looks worse in real time 
    You just know that if we'd missed that chance someone on here would be saying it was not as easy as it looks because it came to him quickly, or some such bolloxks!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    DOUCHER said:
    do the business tuesday and saturday will start to feel like a big game occasion - so without boring people to death, if you haven't been going, go saturday - make this the game to start going again - there is nothing really we can do about problems behind the scenes, but what we can do, is show up and support the team - calling disgruntled and / or fairweathers everywhere - get down there 
    The official web site requires you to have a purchase history to be able to buy/go to the Ipswich game. Odd seeing as we haven't seen the ground near half full this season.
    Does seem odd. Could it be to stop Ipswich fans infiltrating behind enemy lines? Really hope it is because of high demand.
    Ipswich have already sold out their allocation. So undoubtedly to stop their fans buying tickets in the home end.

Shame we can't open up blocks a and b for their fans in the curbishley stand. Money would come in handy for TS. Maybe however the police wouldn't allow it or the increased stewarding costs wouldn't make it worthwhile.
  • Options
    We have to win against MKD and Ipswich simply in order to preserve the gain from Shrewsbury.
    The next realistic step forward will only come in the next away game.
    By my calculation we are seven points behind target, lose the next two and we’re thirteen points behind target. In that scenario we have to win every game at home, and seven away to get back on track.
    The next two games are must wins, MKD play a tricky possession style, and Ipswich are very strong.
    We’re going to need Jason Pearce type focus, and also be prepared to suffer for points.
    Nobody has commented on that brave low header from Innes yesterday, we need loads more of that.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

The rub of the green we deserved , still can’t believe he missed it …looks worse in real time 
    You just know that if we'd missed that chance someone on here would be saying it was not as easy as it looks because it came to him quickly, or some such bolloxks!
    Would they. I feel it would be the opposite as 99% of posters would be bemoaning our lack of anyone to put away chances - as has been the theme the whole season. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Would they. I feel it would be the opposite as 99% of posters would be bemoaning our lack of anyone to put away chances - as has been the theme the whole season. 
    Oh no, you're right. Most of us would call it as it is, but then someone would try and tell us it wasnt as easy as it looked. Probably because whoever missed was one of their favourites.

Wonder what they're saying over on Salop Life about it. Although maybe the bloke with internet access hasn't woken up yet.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    Good win. Three on the bounce !! How long before TS shows his face again and takes the plaudits?
    I don't care as long as he coughs up for a striker in January.
    With every win it takes us further away from recruiting a striker in January (if there was any chance in the first place)
    The money position has not changed because we have won a few, but it might encourage a buyer. So, no, there will be no January striker, but Leaburn may go, to balance the books a little.
    You are stating this as a fact so exactly why would that be the case and what has changed since the last day of the summer window.
    Major ongoing  costcutting in every area of the club
    Just a guess then. 
    Why not say so instead of shouting and implying a fact.
    If the money position has not changed then we still have the money that we were signing a striker with on the last day, yes?

By January TS will have had 4 more months of losses to deal with. Given he claims to be losing 4 million a year that is over a million more gone by then.
    I am only doing the maths as well as  looking at the cuts he is making to the club's budget.
    But maybe you are right. We will see in January, won't we. 
    I thought the losses were bigger £7-8 million a year. Also the attendances at the recent home home games has been sparse, that won't help  short or long term
  • Options
    I have cautious optimism now whereas only 2 weeks ago I really thought we’d be struggling at the wrong end of the table. But, something has happened and I can’t quite put my finger on it. But, Aneke coming on against Exeter really opened up that game and it seems to have galvanised something in the team. Like I said I can’t put my finger on it but we do seem to have found something that we didn’t have before. Maybe Garner is the real deal. Only time will tell. I’m really looking forward to the next 2 home games now and then Burton and Port Vale away should be very interesting. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Fumbluff said:
    We still have 3 loan spaces free, so even if we can't buy a striker, surely we could loan one?

It’s not his hair that the problem. Nothing wrong with it.

He's my favourite (ego-maniac). Currently a vacant position in our new formation.4- me-me

• Options
    edited October 2022
    mendonca said:
    DOUCHER said:
    do the business tuesday and saturday will start to feel like a big game occasion - so without boring people to death, if you haven't been going, go saturday - make this the game to start going again - there is nothing really we can do about problems behind the scenes, but what we can do, is show up and support the team - calling disgruntled and / or fairweathers everywhere - get down there 
    The official web site requires you to have a purchase history to be able to buy/go to the Ipswich game. Odd seeing as we haven't seen the ground near half full this season.
    Does seem odd. Could it be to stop Ipswich fans infiltrating behind enemy lines? Really hope it is because of high demand.
    Ipswich have already sold out their allocation. So undoubtedly to stop their fans buying tickets in the home end.

Shame we can't open up blocks a and b for their fans in the curbishley stand. Money would come in handy for TS. Maybe however the police wouldn't allow it or the increased stewarding costs wouldn't make it worthwhile.
    Doubt if it’s occurred to anyone working full-time down there. It’s a very messy solution, not as lucrative as people think, and really down to whether the police will wear it. Probably not is my guess.

It probably makes more financial sense in the league than in the cup, where receipts as well as costs are shared, i.e. Charlton keep all the profit in L1.
  • Options
    Profit???????????
  • Options
    Profit???????????
    You can have “profit” on specific activities in a loss-making business. Indeed, it’s important you look at individual business cases.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    Good win. Three on the bounce !! How long before TS shows his face again and takes the plaudits?
    I don't care as long as he coughs up for a striker in January.
    With every win it takes us further away from recruiting a striker in January (if there was any chance in the first place)
    The money position has not changed because we have won a few, but it might encourage a buyer. So, no, there will be no January striker, but Leaburn may go, to balance the books a little.
    Cant see Sandgaard spending money in Jan but If we’re close to the playoffs I fully expect us to bring in a striker on loan.

The quality of said loanee will ultimately be the difference between top 6 & mid table.
    If we stay on this decent run (obviously we won't win every game) but stay around the top six I think sandgaard will decide why do  we need another striker. Of course if we sell Leaburn that might change things.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Pre covid I was a season ticket holder for years so I have a purchase history but are they defining purchase history as THIS season?

I won't be coming anyway as a combination of Katrien Added Tax and Sadiq Khan tax plus ticket costs, fuel costs etc put it beyond the budget of this old age pensioner.
  • Options
    I'm going full negative Nancy mode.

Playing bottom of the table MK Dons on Tues night. Lump every penny you have that we'll lose it 

Still at least 1 striker light. Even having Chuks "fit" means he can only come on for the last 10 mins. Need him fit to play at least 45 mins. Today was crying out for a "finisher" to bury the chances being made. Cant rely on Stockley to score, esp not with his feet from open play. 

With a balanced squad from day 1 we'd now be comfortably in the play offs.....and possibly only a point or 2 from automatics. But we are just an injury or 2 away from being dragged back into the pack. Looking at the teams around us with games in hand our "true" position is probably 10th. 

Will be there on Tuesday & next Saturday. Anything less than 4 points makes the past 2 weeks inconsequential. 
    Jesus Christ, give it a fucking rest. Everyone on here knows what you think! We've just had 3 wins on the spin, against Exeter who were flying, Portsmouth who are still above us and Shrewsbury who have just won their last 3.
    For godsake give it a rest, try and see we are improving, our defence is getting more solid (conceded 2 in 3) and we have scored 8 in 3.
    You must be well pissed off we are doing well, if the run continues, what are you going to moan about? I'm sure you'll find something!
    One final question if we get 6 points from the next 2 will that finally stop your negativity?
    To be fair it would be the Charlton way that on the back of three very good wins we lose to a bottom of the table club but I wouldn't put a penny on it & obviously hope for a resounding win.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Bailey said:
    Redrobo said:
    Bailey said:
    I don't think Sandgaard has suddenly broken even in the last few weeks so the chances of him bringing a striker in I would suggest would be less likely. I think the last three games have been a refreshing change and has put some much-needed smiles on people's faces, but I don't think this has anything to do with Sandgaard more likely it's in spite of him and his running down of the club, three straight wins won't change that. The change in form is down to the brave decisions of a manager looking for a winning combination, I hope the people who declare we shouldn't be blaming the owner are not spitting feathers over a lack of investment in the transfer window. 
    He gave them a budget and as far as anyone knows that remains the situation.
    Sandgaard did appoint him so he at least gets credit for that and for stumping up for the very long extension lead.

So pleased that we are winning so Garners job is safer. We need him here for three years minimum. 
    I will agree with the sentiments on Garner Redrobo, I would be delighted, like everyone else, if Garner is allowed to create a side that gets us out of this division, but he will need backing in that winter transfer window, to give him a chance this season, three straight wins has not changed the fragile nature of Aneke and Innis's fitness and Leaburn's return may take some time.
    The problem may well be in finding our current owner to ascertain his plans for January should he still be holding the moth riddled purse. 

I'm given to understand that at present, he's doing an excellent impression of the Scarlet Pimpernel...

"They seek him here, they seek him there, they seek the " Great Dane" everywhere "
    The question is why exactly has he “vanished” ? I think it’s either that he’s taken so much abuse on social media he’s very fecked off with our support or perhaps there is even mileage in the ongoing mumblings that we’re up for sale and he’s in early talks. In either case January will inform us quite a lot because although three swallows doesn’t a summer make it’s pretty clear to me at least that if we got in a decent striker who compliments the system then playoffs are still not out of the question. If Sandgaard can’t either see that or buy into bit of further strengthening then he’s one of skint, stupid or selling.
  • Options
    I'm going full negative Nancy mode.

Playing bottom of the table MK Dons on Tues night. Lump every penny you have that we'll lose it 

Still at least 1 striker light. Even having Chuks "fit" means he can only come on for the last 10 mins. Need him fit to play at least 45 mins. Today was crying out for a "finisher" to bury the chances being made. Cant rely on Stockley to score, esp not with his feet from open play. 

With a balanced squad from day 1 we'd now be comfortably in the play offs.....and possibly only a point or 2 from automatics. But we are just an injury or 2 away from being dragged back into the pack. Looking at the teams around us with games in hand our "true" position is probably 10th. 

Will be there on Tuesday & next Saturday. Anything less than 4 points makes the past 2 weeks inconsequential. 
    Jesus Christ, give it a fucking rest. Everyone on here knows what you think! We've just had 3 wins on the spin, against Exeter who were flying, Portsmouth who are still above us and Shrewsbury who have just won their last 3.
    For godsake give it a rest, try and see we are improving, our defence is getting more solid (conceded 2 in 3) and we have scored 8 in 3.
    You must be well pissed off we are doing well, if the run continues, what are you going to moan about? I'm sure you'll find something!
    One final question if we get 6 points from the next 2 will that finally stop your negativity?
    To be fair it would be the Charlton way that on the back of three very good wins we lose to a bottom of the table club but I wouldn't put a penny on it & obviously hope for a resounding win.
    Derby (11th) | Shrewsbury (10th) | Exeter (8th) | Portsmouth (5th) | Plymouth (1st)

Are our only wins this season, so you might want to put a penny or two on anything but a win
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Again the CB and CM pairings proved crucial and are putting in consistently very good performances. An injury to any of those 4 players will be really costly. Will be interesting to see if Inniss can play 3 games in a week or if Thomas gets a start on Tuesday 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    NabySarr said:
    Again the CB and CM pairings proved crucial and are putting in consistently very good performances. An injury to any of those 4 players will be really costly. Will be interesting to see if Inniss can play 3 games in a week or if Thomas gets a start on Tuesday 
    I’d be happier with Thomas over Lavelle if Innis has to sit any games out  because he’s more comfortable on the ball. Presumably Lavelle is not fully fit anyways at the moment?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    NabySarr said:
    I’d be happier with Thomas over Lavelle if Innis has to sit any games out  because he’s more comfortable on the ball. Presumably Lavelle is not fully fit anyways at the moment?
    I agree. Lavelle has looked very shaky this season whenever he’s played. Tough game against Ipswich on Saturday so I’m expecting Thomas to start on Tuesday 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    mendonca said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Pre covid I was a season ticket holder for years so I have a purchase history but are they defining purchase history as THIS season?

I won't be coming anyway as a combination of Katrien Added Tax and Sadiq Khan tax plus ticket costs, fuel costs etc put it beyond the budget of this old age pensioner.
    No it's not just this season 
  • Options
    The good old 442 oh sorry hybrid 433 or is it 4231 now might be 4411 but it’s definitely 2 in middle in Dobson and Fraser never work we will be wide open. 
    Funny how that’s 3 clean sheets in 4 games playing it though. Fraser looking a different player now.season just might be back on now. Nearly threw it away persisting with 433  again COYR 
    But we weren’t playing 433. We played 3 at the back with 2 wingbacks 
  • Options
    3 points that we wouldnt have got last season or even a few weeks ago. I do have to wonder about some of our members 🙄 3 straight wins and they still cant enjoy it for what it is. Yes we will have bad performances and results before long but ffs enjoy the present why dont ya 😂
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Bailey said:
    Redrobo said:
    Bailey said:
    I don't think Sandgaard has suddenly broken even in the last few weeks so the chances of him bringing a striker in I would suggest would be less likely. I think the last three games have been a refreshing change and has put some much-needed smiles on people's faces, but I don't think this has anything to do with Sandgaard more likely it's in spite of him and his running down of the club, three straight wins won't change that. The change in form is down to the brave decisions of a manager looking for a winning combination, I hope the people who declare we shouldn't be blaming the owner are not spitting feathers over a lack of investment in the transfer window. 
    He gave them a budget and as far as anyone knows that remains the situation.
    Sandgaard did appoint him so he at least gets credit for that and for stumping up for the very long extension lead.

So pleased that we are winning so Garners job is safer. We need him here for three years minimum. 
    I will agree with the sentiments on Garner Redrobo, I would be delighted, like everyone else, if Garner is allowed to create a side that gets us out of this division, but he will need backing in that winter transfer window, to give him a chance this season, three straight wins has not changed the fragile nature of Aneke and Innis's fitness and Leaburn's return may take some time.
    The problem may well be in finding our current owner to ascertain his plans for January should he still be holding the moth riddled purse. 

I'm given to understand that at present, he's doing an excellent impression of the Scarlet Pimpernel...

"They seek him here, they seek him there, they seek the " Great Dane" everywhere "
    The question is why exactly has he “vanished” ? I think it’s either that he’s taken so much abuse on social media he’s very fecked off with our support or perhaps there is even mileage in the ongoing mumblings that we’re up for sale and he’s in early talks. In either case January will inform us quite a lot because although three swallows doesn’t a summer make it’s pretty clear to me at least that if we got in a decent striker who compliments the system then playoffs are still not out of the question. If Sandgaard can’t either see that or buy into bit of further strengthening then he’s one of skint, stupid or selling.
    On TS's vanishing act, maybe he likes spending time with Raelynn and, if she can't be here with him no more, he's gone home to be with her there. Just a wild guess.

In any case, the transfer window's shut and everything's running tickety boo without him here behind the scenes isn't it? No! Oh well, results on the pitch have been better of late at any rate, so long may that continue.