Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 22nd October 2022 - 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Very pleased with that. We badly needed the win, but that wasn't an easy place to get one. They had a couple of chances, including that cross that flashed across the goal, but man, we could have had that done and dusted by half time if we're talking chances. 
    What I like about BG is he has found a system that suits the players we have, but can still shake it up. Been a while since we had that.
    In the words of Curbs, don't get too low with the losses, or high with the wins, but after earlier performances, this feels good.
    COYA
  • Options
    Only got to watch the second half. Thought we were pretty good and mostly in control. Shrewsbury had their moments but mostly I thought they tried to sit deep and were a niggly physical side, helped by a lenient ref (who probably helped us too because Stockley may have fouled their man in the build up to our goal).

Although we maybe made it harder work than needed with those first half misses, I’m very encouraged by the fact we found a way to win the match in those circumstances. It’s the kind of match we’ve been drawing or losing too often. The improvements in defence are a big reason for that. Much easier to win if you only need to score one to do so. Innis and O’Connell did very well against the aerial bombardment. 

Real progress in the last few matches. It feels a bit fragile, however. Fraser and Dobson are more than good enough in a 2, but they are absolutely key. Can McGrandles or Morgan do the same job? Does the defence stay so solid if Innis gets injured? Do we have enough cover at full back? And what happens if Stockley gets injured before Leaburn is fit?

We’re in a similar position to last season in we have a squad that was built on the assumption we’d be playing one formation, but we’ve ended up playing a different shape and that has made a squad, which already lacked depth on a couple of areas, look even more imbalanced. We are, however, long overdue a season where we have something other than terrible luck with injuries. Hopefully that will be this year because the team is looking pretty decent right now. Certainly good enough to maybe make the playoffs. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    Good win. Three on the bounce !! How long before TS shows his face again and takes the plaudits?
    I don't care as long as he coughs up for a striker in January.
    With every win it takes us further away from recruiting a striker in January (if there was any chance in the first place)
    The money position has not changed because we have won a few, but it might encourage a buyer. So, no, there will be no January striker, but Leaburn may go, to balance the books a little.
    You are stating this as a fact so exactly why would that be the case and what has changed since the last day of the summer window.
    Major ongoing  costcutting in every area of the club
    Just a guess then. 
    Why not say so instead of shouting and implying a fact.
    If the money position has not changed then we still have the money that we were signing a striker with on the last day, yes?

Wasn't that also dependent on unloading JFC and DJ? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    Good win. Three on the bounce !! How long before TS shows his face again and takes the plaudits?
    With every win it takes us further away from recruiting a striker in January (if there was any chance in the first place)
    The money position has not changed because we have won a few, but it might encourage a buyer. So, no, there will be no January striker, but Leaburn may go, to balance the books a little.
    You are stating this as a fact so exactly why would that be the case and what has changed since the last day of the summer window.
    Just a guess then. 
    If the money position has not changed then we still have the money that we were signing a striker with on the last day, yes?

It was said at the time that we only missed out as a Championship team came in at the last minute. I don’t think anyone said it fell through because a loan did not happen, although it was reported that we did pull a loan after it fell through.
    I do not know a Charlton fan who is not hoping we sign a striker in January. If people actually know for a fact what the position will be in January then great.
    Personally don’t think it will be a problem unloading those two in January anyway.
  • Options
    I have to say I loved the way we time wasted at the end of the game. Was so nice to see a Charlton team pulling all the tricks out the bag to get the win and kill momentum.

Usually us who is on the receiving end of that.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    Just a guess then. 

By January TS will have had 4 more months of losses to deal with. Given he claims to be losing 4 million a year that is over a million more gone by then.
    I am only doing the maths as well as  looking at the cuts he is making to the club's budget.
    But maybe you are right. We will see in January, won't we. 
  • Options
    Well done lads, trying not to get carried away, but I think I am.
    Spring is in the air 🎺🎺
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    I don't think Sandgaard has suddenly broken even in the last few weeks so the chances of him bringing a striker in I would suggest would be less likely. I think the last three games have been a refreshing change and has put some much-needed smiles on people's faces, but I don't think this has anything to do with Sandgaard more likely it's in spite of him and his running down of the club, three straight wins won't change that. The change in form is down to the brave decisions of a manager looking for a winning combination, I hope the people who declare we shouldn't be blaming the owner are not spitting feathers over a lack of investment in the transfer window. 
    He gave them a budget and as far as anyone knows that remains the situation.
    Sandgaard did appoint him so he at least gets credit for that and for stumping up for the very long extension lead.

So pleased that we are winning so Garners job is safer. We need him here for three years minimum. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Bailey said:
    I don't think Sandgaard has suddenly broken even in the last few weeks so the chances of him bringing a striker in I would suggest would be less likely. I think the last three games have been a refreshing change and has put some much-needed smiles on people's faces, but I don't think this has anything to do with Sandgaard more likely it's in spite of him and his running down of the club, three straight wins won't change that. The change in form is down to the brave decisions of a manager looking for a winning combination, I hope the people who declare we shouldn't be blaming the owner are not spitting feathers over a lack of investment in the transfer window. 
    Sandgaard did appoint him so he at least gets credit for that and for stumping up for the very long extension lead.

So pleased that we are winning so Garners job is safer. We need him here for three years minimum. 
    I will agree with the sentiments on Garner Redrobo, I would be delighted, like everyone else, if Garner is allowed to create a side that gets us out of this division, but he will need backing in that winter transfer window, to give him a chance this season, three straight wins has not changed the fragile nature of Aneke and Innis's fitness and Leaburn's return may take some time.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Redrobo said:
    Bailey said:

I will agree with the sentiments on Garner Redrobo, I would be delighted, like everyone else, if Garner is allowed to create a side that gets us out of this division, but he will need backing in that winter transfer window, to give him a chance this season, three straight wins has not changed the fragile nature of Aneke and Innis's fitness and Leaburn's return may take some time.
    The problem may well be in finding our current owner to ascertain his plans for January should he still be holding the moth riddled purse. 

I'm given to understand that at present, he's doing an excellent impression of the Scarlet Pimpernel...

"They seek him here, they seek him there, they seek the " Great Dane" everywhere "
  • Options
    We still have 3 loan spaces free, so even if we can't buy a striker, surely we could loan one?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    Just a guess then. 

We were minutes away from signing Bonne on loan until QPR pulled the plug - think people seem to be forgetting that - even if it's not the striker we wanted I think it's a bit unfair to say that there wasn't/isn't a willingness to bring in a striker in some capacity. 
  • Options
    Sunshine, Three Fishes, Boar’s Head bit of Forest, three points, balti pies, bit more Boar’s Head. Home by 8.30, spotting us on the highlights. Quality day.
    X is a shit’ole song- muggy unless you’re in a shithole. 
    Also embarrassing that Mercia bill still using a bit of handbags at the play off game as an excuse for overtime. There was a bright yellow midget everywhere we went.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing is for sure, IF we can dispatch MK Dons on Tuesday (which is no given, as we all know full well), Ipswich will be a fantastic game of football next Saturday! 
  • Options
    I'm going full negative Nancy mode.

Playing bottom of the table MK Dons on Tues night. Lump every penny you have that we'll lose it 

Still at least 1 striker light. Even having Chuks "fit" means he can only come on for the last 10 mins. Need him fit to play at least 45 mins. Today was crying out for a "finisher" to bury the chances being made. Cant rely on Stockley to score, esp not with his feet from open play. 

With a balanced squad from day 1 we'd now be comfortably in the play offs.....and possibly only a point or 2 from automatics. But we are just an injury or 2 away from being dragged back into the pack. Looking at the teams around us with games in hand our "true" position is probably 10th. 

Will be there on Tuesday & next Saturday. Anything less than 4 points makes the past 2 weeks inconsequential. 
    Jesus Christ, give it a fucking rest. Everyone on here knows what you think! We've just had 3 wins on the spin, against Exeter who were flying, Portsmouth who are still above us and Shrewsbury who have just won their last 3.
    For godsake give it a rest, try and see we are improving, our defence is getting more solid (conceded 2 in 3) and we have scored 8 in 3.
    You must be well pissed off we are doing well, if the run continues, what are you going to moan about? I'm sure you'll find something!
    One final question if we get 6 points from the next 2 will that finally stop your negativity?
    You do know that attention seekers only get worse if you feed them with attention right? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    Just a guess then. 

We were minutes away from signing Bonne on loan until QPR pulled the plug - think people seem to be forgetting that - even if it's not the striker we wanted I think it's a bit unfair to say that there wasn't/isn't a willingness to bring in a striker in some capacity. 
    We were also minutes away from off loading the other two.
  • Options
    The good old 442 oh sorry hybrid 433 or is it 4231 now might be 4411 but it’s definitely 2 in middle in Dobson and Fraser never work we will be wide open. 
    Funny how that’s 3 clean sheets in 4 games playing it though. Fraser looking a different player now.season just might be back on now. Nearly threw it away persisting with 433  again COYR