Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 22nd October 2022 - 3pm

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Bailey said:
    I don't think Sandgaard has suddenly broken even in the last few weeks so the chances of him bringing a striker in I would suggest would be less likely. I think the last three games have been a refreshing change and has put some much-needed smiles on people's faces, but I don't think this has anything to do with Sandgaard more likely it's in spite of him and his running down of the club, three straight wins won't change that. The change in form is down to the brave decisions of a manager looking for a winning combination, I hope the people who declare we shouldn't be blaming the owner are not spitting feathers over a lack of investment in the transfer window. 
    If Garner is to be credited with doing a good job, then some credit must also go to those who appointed him in spite of some initial fan scepticism as I recall.

For the next transfer window, players will have to go to create space under the EFL player wage budget first. Garner himself said it was mostly utilized last time and it will have shrunken since, assuming that TS's turnover forecasts, which determine it, were overestimated as they would have been based on higher attendance numbers than we're getting.

So if we get another striker, I'm expecting it to be a loan deal to avoid a longer term wage commitment.
  • Options
    3 good wins on the bounce, well done bg and squad, I’m wondering if all the stuff behind the scenes is galvanising the squad similar to bowyer & play off team? Roll on Tuesday. 
  • Options
    I'm going full negative Nancy mode.

Playing bottom of the table MK Dons on Tues night. Lump every penny you have that we'll lose it 

Still at least 1 striker light. Even having Chuks "fit" means he can only come on for the last 10 mins. Need him fit to play at least 45 mins. Today was crying out for a "finisher" to bury the chances being made. Cant rely on Stockley to score, esp not with his feet from open play. 

With a balanced squad from day 1 we'd now be comfortably in the play offs.....and possibly only a point or 2 from automatics. But we are just an injury or 2 away from being dragged back into the pack. Looking at the teams around us with games in hand our "true" position is probably 10th. 

Will be there on Tuesday & next Saturday. Anything less than 4 points makes the past 2 weeks inconsequential. 
    Huh, but I lost count of the amount of times you said you were giving up and going to stop going after our summer transfer business. 
  • Options
    The team seems to be improving as the season goes along. 
    Inniss and O'Connell proving to be a decent partnership. 
    Dobson and Fraser now playing really well together. 
    Having two wing backs that are natural wing backs is a big plus. 
    Having Aneke back gives us options from the bench.
    Still need a natural finisher up top but overall I think Garner is getting the best out of what we have. 
    A couple of weeks ago I had pretty much given up on this season but all of a sudden there appears to be reasons to be optimistic. 
    Onwards and upwards. 
    Exactly how I feel 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    9 points from 3 games is excellent and also partnerships developing all over the park.

Let's not be embarrassed to say *4-4-2, just because the YouTube videos say it's outdated ! We should all be aware now that you play a formation to suit the players available. I like Ben Garner and pleased he have adapted. Playing attractive football when you are in the lower half of League 1 is no good to man or beast when you are flakey in transition and don't win matches.

Another cliché is you need a strong spine; it's true and the keeper is decent and the CB and Midfield pairings have been top notch in the last 3 matches. Front two remains problematic because of the unique situation with Chuks Swarovski Aneke: the injury to Miles Leaburn and Stockley despite putting in good team performances, Jayden's having a real barren spells in front of goal and even his headers aren't going in. 

Formations are fluid and the main thing that is clear is O'Connell and Inniss, Fraser and Dobson are the best options at the heart of defense and in midfield. The front two remains the problem where Rak Sakyi and Kirk have come from the chorus line but will always need plenty of chances to put one away. Well done Rak after fluffing his lines twice before getting it right.

*So fluid that it's hard to tell when in and out of possession. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bailey said:
    Well, what a turn around there has been in the space of 10 days from a very ordinary looking average league one mid table side to one that can only see one way and that is up the league.
    Something has changed within the club, and there seems a new found belief in our own ability to turn the season around, the next couple of games are going to prove pivotal, another six points and we will have opposition not wanting to play us as we could cement a top six place...don't let us and yourselves down now lads..👍

Garner dropped the system dictated to him by those gurus of football 'The Sandgaards' if Adkins had done the same, he may have lasted longer in the job.
    4-3-3 is very much Garner’s normal system. That’s not something Sandgaard has forced on him
    It's not, but that's why he got the job.  Subtle but different.

The change in formation isn't as drastic as people make out.

2 "proper" full backs, although I have no problem with Clare at right back.

Fraser not being shoehorned into being a 10.  Like us and Ipswich tried.

The two "wingers" actually being narrower  despite logic dictating they should actually be wider.

An extra player, Kirk/Leaburn, starting that has a goal or assist in them.

Payne and Aneke, match fit and half fit respectively, coming off the bench.

It's certainly not a 442 that Mike Bassett would recognise.

If anything we have almost stumbled on the 4231 we could have played last season.

It doesn't matter how we got there, but we did.  Long may it continue.  

My big fear is 2 or 3 injuries, suspensions, or loss of form to key players 🤔 

2 'outhouses' at centreback, 1 more a ball player, the other attacks the ball, both like to put in a 'reducer' - 2 central midfielders - 1 an 'insurance man', the other a 'baller' who was a bit of a 'show pony' but has now become a 'solid citizen' - a 'lighthouse' up top with a bit of an 'amusement arcade' alongside him, the 2 wide men, one more of a 'jinker', the other a 'flier' - if mike bassett couldn't recognise the 442, big Ron definitely would - lets get this right, going 2 up top is THE change and we all knew it had to happen, even those who like to talk about sophisticated tactical systems - long may it continue 
  • Options
    Football is a funny game. Lose your top goalscorer and ray of light, then win 3 games on the trot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    We still have 3 loan spaces free, so even if we can't buy a striker, surely we could loan one?

It’s not his hair that the problem. Nothing wrong with it. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    do the business tuesday and saturday will start to feel like a big game occasion - so without boring people to death, if you haven't been going, go saturday - make this the game to start going again - there is nothing really we can do about problems behind the scenes, but what we can do, is show up and support the team - calling disgruntled and / or fairweathers everywhere - get down there 
    The official web site requires you to have a purchase history to be able to buy/go to the Ipswich game. Odd seeing as we haven't seen the ground near half full this season.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    DOUCHER said:
    do the business tuesday and saturday will start to feel like a big game occasion - so without boring people to death, if you haven't been going, go saturday - make this the game to start going again - there is nothing really we can do about problems behind the scenes, but what we can do, is show up and support the team - calling disgruntled and / or fairweathers everywhere - get down there 
    The official web site requires you to have a purchase history to be able to buy/go to the Ipswich game. Odd seeing as we haven't seen the ground near half full this season.
    Does seem odd. Could it be to stop Ipswich fans infiltrating behind enemy lines? Really hope it is because of high demand.
  • Options
    I stopped coming to Charlton Life because of the relentless negativity. Came back to read the Post Match thread as I thought 3 straight wins would have lifted the mood.

Can people just talk about the match and be happy for a few hours please? Keep anti TS stuff on his thread for those that want to read them.
    Oh dear. 

I had posted my very positive thoughts on the match earlier, and am "made up" that Ben is showing why he was employed as our manager. I believe I concluded with " Long may it last!"

But as well as discussing the game itself, others began speculating about strengthening the squad with an out & out striker in the January transfer window. Maybe that was an acceptable "sideways move" from the subject of the thread....

However, whilst revelling in the inevitable upturn in results AND performances, a modicum of caution should be exercised IMO, lest we get carried away from the reality of the financial issues at our club. 

Unless our owner discovers that mythical pot of gold at the end of the rainbow,  the coffers will be drained month by month. Those far more ITK than myself are very concerned that the severe cutbacks that TS is making are barely keeping our heads above water at this moment in time. 

And as a result, he's clearly less than eager to be "around the place" these days when it appears that staffing levels have been severely affected and those still in post are less than happy about the sudden departure of their colleagues.

It's clear that the cupboard is close to being bare &, hence the addition of a good, worthwhile striker in just over 2 months' time, unlikely. 

Just my thoughts, of course.
    Balham just mentioned keeping the TS stuff in the thread and there right. TS stays or goes we all support the team and at the moment, it's looking positive so this is more appreciating BG and the squad. For the record, I'm not supporting TS but we should focus on the positive playing side here. 
    I DID praise BG & our lads ! 

Others started talking about incoming in January and I posted a note of caution in responding.

Perhaps I should enigmatically have posted " Let's wait & see what happens in January " ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I’m thinking about it but do you know what the forecast is for Saturday?
  • Options

Playing bottom of the table MK Dons on Tues night. Lump every penny you have that we'll lose it 

Still at least 1 striker light. Even having Chuks "fit" means he can only come on for the last 10 mins. Need him fit to play at least 45 mins. Today was crying out for a "finisher" to bury the chances being made. Cant rely on Stockley to score, esp not with his feet from open play. 

With a balanced squad from day 1 we'd now be comfortably in the play offs.....and possibly only a point or 2 from automatics. But we are just an injury or 2 away from being dragged back into the pack. Looking at the teams around us with games in hand our "true" position is probably 10th. 

Will be there on Tuesday & next Saturday. Anything less than 4 points makes the past 2 weeks inconsequential. 
    Have a day off. We won, have a beer and enjoy yourself 
    I agree with golfie, which is quite rare.
    I'm obviously getting old because spare me the excitement, these results are just papering over the cracks.
    I fully intend to enjoy my 50th Birthday on Tuesday and that's why I will be avoiding this depressing football team, who irritated me to hell against Oxford, and spending the evening with several beers in a pub in East Sussex instead.

Good luck for the rest of the season. I won't be there but hope, although don't believe, we will see permanent good performances and succeed.
  • Options
    It wasn’t perceived gaps in our transfer window dealings that was the issue, it was the limitations of the formation we were playing. That looks like it’s been addressed, obviously a little late for some because we are languishing in 7th place, could be in a play off place come Tuesday night and only in 3 cup competitions.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Have a day off. We won, have a beer and enjoy yourself 
    I agree with golfie, which is quite rare.
    I'm obviously getting old because spare me the excitement, these results are just papering over the cracks.
    I fully intend to enjoy my 50th Birthday on Tuesday and that's why I will be avoiding this depressing football team, who irritated me to hell against Oxford, and spending the evening with several beers in a pub in East Sussex instead.

Good luck for the rest of the season. I won't be there but hope, although don't believe, we will see permanent good performances and succeed.

... Agree we didn't do enough in the window with the lack of striker stuff, but that has gone, we have what we have at least till January, and it looks from the last 10 days that things "may" be showing some signs of improvement.
    3 wins on the bounce is just that against some decent oppo, so don't begrudge any positivity please, the wins have been well taken and deserved, so hope you enjoy your birthday bash Tuesday, but fully expect us to be 3 points better off by closing time...Happy Birthday Jimmy..🍺🍺
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    League 1 is very tight - we're only six points ahead of Cambridge who are 18th and we're just outside the playoffs.

Have to beat MK Dons on Tuesday.

We're 5 undefeated in the league.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    And Tuesday. A win on Tuesday will keep the momentum going big time. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    And Tuesday. A win on Tuesday will keep the momentum going big time. 
    Looking forward to Tuesday.