Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 22nd October 2022 - 3pm

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Bailey said:
    Well, what a turn around there has been in the space of 10 days from a very ordinary looking average league one mid table side to one that can only see one way and that is up the league.
    Something has changed within the club, and there seems a new found belief in our own ability to turn the season around, the next couple of games are going to prove pivotal, another six points and we will have opposition not wanting to play us as we could cement a top six place...don't let us and yourselves down now lads..👍

Garner dropped the system dictated to him by those gurus of football 'The Sandgaards' if Adkins had done the same, he may have lasted longer in the job.
    4-3-3 is very much Garner’s normal system. That’s not something Sandgaard has forced on him
    And yet he's a good enough manager to improvise and create the best set-up for this team. 

Something we haven't had in years. 
    Especially how he effectively switched, ended the game playing 3-5-2, given its not been a favourite formation of late - I didnt like the final subs when they were made, felt nervous, but there was zero concern really.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Well, what a turn around there has been in the space of 10 days from a very ordinary looking average league one mid table side to one that can only see one way and that is up the league.
    Something has changed within the club, and there seems a new found belief in our own ability to turn the season around, the next couple of games are going to prove pivotal, another six points and we will have opposition not wanting to play us as we could cement a top six place...don't let us and yourselves down now lads..👍

Garner dropped the system dictated to him by those gurus of football 'The Sandgaards' if Adkins had done the same, he may have lasted longer in the job.
    4-3-3 is very much Garner’s normal system. That’s not something Sandgaard has forced on him
    And yet he's a good enough manager to improvise and create the best set-up for this team. 

Something we haven't had in years. 
    Especially how he effectively switched, ended the game playing 3-5-2, given its not been a favourite formation of late - I didnt like the final subs when they were made, felt nervous, but there was zero concern really.
    Felt the same but least it was done around 86,87 minutes and not earlier. Think Thomas may have only touched the ball once but was a composed pass back to Wollacott under pressure. 
  • Options
    Missed the game today, so unable to comment from a personal perspective, great result and even greater last 10 days, long may it continue, looking forward to catching up on the highlights.
    Ben seems to have instilled an inner belief in the team and has them playing to their strengths, looking forward to M K Dons & Ipswich with a lot more hope that top six is now very much our place, and maybe even higher...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Garner is without doubt our best signing in recent years. It is a joy to watch the football we play at times. I really hope that he sees us a his project as I'm sure if he sticks around we are going to progress over the next few years. Trouble is I think it very likely he will be nicked before he has the chance to build here
  • Options
    Tough gritty win at an inform team. Just shows how pointless the tactics were earlier on in the season.

We just need Kirk to get on the scoreline. Whilst he wasnt as involved as Id like him to be, he doesnt waste the ball when he gets it.

Good result......on to Tuesday.
  • Options
    https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2022/october/post-charlton--steve-cotterill/

Cotterills comments....any of what he said correct? He sounds bitter to me!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2022/october/post-charlton--steve-cotterill/

Cotterills comments....any of what he said correct? He sounds bitter to me!!
    He’s just seeing it from his biased vision. JRS had two gilt edged chances first half so how Cotterill reckons they should’ve been two up is just rubbish. It could’ve finished at least 3-3 if both teams had taken their chances. We took one of ours they took none so tough luck. He needs to take some sugar with those grapes 😉.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    sralan said:
    Good win. Three on the bounce !! How long before TS shows his face again and takes the plaudits?
    I don't care as long as he coughs up for a striker in January.
    With every win it takes us further away from recruiting a striker in January (if there was any chance in the first place)
    The money position has not changed because we have won a few, but it might encourage a buyer. So, no, there will be no January striker, but Leaburn may go, to balance the books a little.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    No question in my mind that Ben Garner has his teams playing good football. That of course isn’t always enough. You need something else and quite honestly up until Exeter we’ve not seen that bit extra much at all. Certainly confidence is a big thing and I think we’re now after three wins reaping the benefits of confidence as well as Garner’s coaching and preparation. At last something to build on. Hope there’s money and will in the kitty for a striker in January because there is right now a glimmer of a slim chance of making top six. A striker could just be the missing bit extra.
  • Options
    Oh how a few wins changes the mood in this place! Dogged away performance against a team set up to disrupt and annoy. It had 1-0 written all over it, despite our chances and there’s, thankfully it went our way for once at that God forsaken place. Well played all that went, deserved that win! 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    Good win. Three on the bounce !! How long before TS shows his face again and takes the plaudits?
    With every win it takes us further away from recruiting a striker in January (if there was any chance in the first place)
    The money position has not changed because we have won a few, but it might encourage a buyer. So, no, there will be no January striker, but Leaburn may go, to balance the books a little.
    You are stating this as a fact so exactly why would that be the case and what has changed since the last day of the summer window.
  • Options
    Bailey said:

The high press within that system is and my point is that Adkins was forced to play it without the players that could work well within that system, Jackson stopped playing it for that reason, Garner has now stopped the high press and has found a system that works. I am sure that Garner would play that 4,3,3 high press if he had the players to do so, he hasn't and he stated ten days ago that he was trying to find a system that suited his players, fingers crossed he's found it and that injuries do not disrupt any success we can achieve. As for Sandgaard he knows about as much about Football as he does Melody. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    You are stating this as a fact so exactly why would that be the case and what has changed since the last day of the summer window.
    Major ongoing  costcutting in every area of the club
  • Options
    All in all a pretty bloody good day out!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    Cant see Sandgaard spending money in Jan but If we’re close to the playoffs I fully expect us to bring in a striker on loan.

The quality of said loanee will ultimately be the difference between top 6 & mid table.
  • Options
    We still are pressing teams high, and were particularly effective at doing it against Portsmouth.

Indeed I was actually impressed to see how far forward up the pitch we were in the closing minutes of todays game, even under the Shrews aerial bombardment. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Ground out result. Just the kind I like when you don't look like winning.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I think a fair result would have been 3-2 or possibly even 4-2, in our favour. We were a bit wasteful up front and RS should have bagged a hat-trick but he scored the winner. The defence looks better. We are not perfect but this is League One, you don't have to be perfect and we clearly were deserved winners.Shrewsbury were in good form and this is the sort of away perfermance and outcome which could yet see us get out of this league if we can sustain and even improve on it.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Redrobo said:
    Southbank said:
    sralan said:
    Major ongoing  costcutting in every area of the club
    Just a guess then. 
    Why not say so instead of shouting and implying a fact.
    If the money position has not changed then we still have the money that we were signing a striker with on the last day, yes?

• Options
    Delighted with the result today. Let's hope we can continue this momentum.

COYR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Stockleys stop/block on the goal line early on helped shape the game for us , he was brilliant I thought first half hour .

JRS is silky smooth , yes his misses were shit but that’s a player there no doubt .

Garner has got us going beautifully and I think Fraser has turned me around from thinking what a fucking pathetic weak footballer he is to a proper player , one of my favs now .

Kirk is an enigma , I’m watching a different game to most , he hides out of the way to me most of the time and mainly looks for a safe pass , I’m just not seeing it but in all fairness he got his foot in a couple of times today when we were backs to the wall .

I still think we can do a lot better, we should do this is the fucking third tier 

0.75%     Top 2 
    30%     Play offs 
    66.25%    7th-12th 
    3%   13th-20th
    0%      Relegation 

just like Afka i find these Saturday afternoon matches on Charlton TV flyby with the odd drift off …