Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England vs Italy / Germany

Comments

• Options
    We’re going to win the World Cup
  • Options
    Think it’s easy to blame Southgate but only Bellingham, Kane and Grealish since he came on have looked like they want it tonight. 

Doesn’t help they look like a bunch of strangers playing with each other. No surprise when some of our senior players have had limited game time at their clubs. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Christ we're shit at the moment aren't we?! So much of us getting to the Euro Final was home advantage and momentum wasn't it
    I think also the past two tournaments we've had favorable draws to get to the semi and final. As soon as we come up against a side where its 50/50 we inevitably lose 
    Bit like 2010...?

Had we won that Group, we'd have faced Ghana | Uruguay | Netherlands, that should not have been a difficult route to the Final either... The problem with England has been taking advantage of the scenario when its come our way, rather than when we have taken advantage of it

Or Euro 2016 when we lost to Iceland.

Even the back to back Tournaments we lost to Portugal, who were ranked so much lower than us
  • Options
    Why not give Toney a run out?
    When Kane gets injured just before the world cup what's Southgate going to do?
  • Options
    Why not give Toney a run out?
    When Kane gets injured just before the world cup what's Southgate going to do?
    Injured I thought
  • Options
    Anyway, I don't get why we don't choose players that are actually playing and in form, the commentators are bemoaning that lack of playing time for their clubs is having an affect. If they aren't good enough to start a club game, why are they starting an international game?!
  • Options
    Saulc23 said:
    Think it’s easy to blame Southgate but only Bellingham, Kane and Grealish since he came on have looked like they want it tonight. 

Doesn’t help they look like a bunch of strangers playing with each other. No surprise when some of our senior players have had limited game time at their clubs. 
    He is picking the team ! A few of this team will play more international football minutes than club football. Ridiculous selecting players that arent playing for their clubs
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Anyway, I don't get why we don't choose players that are actually playing and in form, the commentators are bemoaning that lack of playing time for their clubs is having an affect. If they aren't good enough to start a club game, why are they starting an international game?!
    Because if we took that approach we'd constantly have a different eleven every England game... International sides need to have a club mentality about them, playing together constantly creates familiarity.

I mean if Charlton / Man City had a different eleven every week, do you think they'd constantly win?

How do you do that when the squad is different every break?
  • Options
    England have somehow become worse than Charlton for scoring goals - one in the last five matches and that was a penalty.
  • Options
    Looking forward to the League B match against Kazahkstan in a couple of years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Since C4 have started showing England games, we've gone to pot. England must love C4 as much as Nadine Dorries  ;)
  • Options
    Absolute shitfest.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Looking forward to the League B match against Kazahkstan in a couple of years.
    Whats staggering is if Scotland beat Ireland tomorrow, they're in League A and become the highest ranked Home Nation in the next Tournament, as Wales look set to be relegated too.

Best thing about the next Nations League for us, is it'll give the new Manager a chance to test new players as we should surely make an instant return to League A - I can honestly see us struggling, and failing to get out of the World Cup Group Stages in a few months
  • Options
    Southgate getting booed by the travelling fans now. The FA wouldn't press the eject button this close to a World Cup surely? 
  • Options
    Southgate getting booed by the travelling fans now. The FA wouldn't press the eject button this close to a World Cup surely? 
    At the very least they need to be putting a shortlist together

Either that or just give it to Steve Holland - I get a feeling that he's the Michael Beale behind Southgate
  • Options
    Bring on Eurovision!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Because if we took that approach we'd constantly have a different eleven every England game... International sides need to have a club mentality about them, playing together constantly creates familiarity.

I mean if Charlton / Man City had a different eleven every week, do you think they'd constantly win?

Then how and why do the other top sides manage it? 

We have a long and storied history of picking players based on what club they play for and who they're mates with and not players in form.

Besides, we don't pick the same XI every England game anyway, you seen Saka play left wing back before?
  • Options
    Never say never.
    Who would you replace him with?

I know who I'd pick without question...
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Saulc23 said:

He is picking the team ! A few of this team will play more international football minutes than club football. Ridiculous selecting players that arent playing for their clubs
    Responsibility falls with the players though for the performance they individually put in on the pitch though does it not, to an extent?

Tactically we were bettered by Italy but my point was the players were hardly performing at their best, excusing one or two. 
  • Options
    That was a terrible performance against an awful team.

No chance in World Cup whatsoever.

Had enough of Southgate’s negative approach, it’s fucking boring and we are going backwards, get rid of the palace twat asap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We aren't blessed with defensive talent at the moment. We do have some very good attackers. 

I know that defensive approach got us to a Euro final, but after this recent run it might be time to give something else a go.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

There are players regularly in the squad that dont get to start down to loyalty to certain players who are not playing regular football. Maguire for instance is to Southgate that Gunter was too JJ ! The fans player of the year and one of the most threatening players on the right in the premier league starts at LWB ? I sound like Golfie when talking about England but Southgate has been lucky with the draws in the past tournaments as soon as we face a decent team we lose.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

We have a long and storied history of picking players based on what club they play for and who they're mates with and not players in form.

Besides, we don't pick the same XI every England game anyway, you seen Saka play left wing back before?
    So you think that other countries change their whole starting eleven each and every game?

Seriously have you actually looked into each and every squad before making your comment, or are you just presuming that because a team is winning, then its clearly because the players picked, are in form for their clubs?

Jesus wept, and you fucking well accused me of outlandish comments after the Hartlepool defeat last season

Need to engage your brain a bit more fella
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    AndyG said:
    sam3110 said:

There are players regularly in the squad that dont get to start down to loyalty to certain players who are not playing regular football. Maguire for instance is to Southgate that Gunter was too JJ ! The fans player of the year and one of the most threatening players on the right in the premier league starts at LWB ? I sound like Golfie when talking about England but Southgate has been lucky with the draws in the past tournaments as soon as we face a decent team we lose.
    Again... Go and do some goddamn research - You think Iceland was a difficult draw in 2016 do you?

2010 World Cup had we won a Group we should have won, that wasn't difficult either - Am fed up with such lazy arguments
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Never say never.
    Who would you replace him with?

I know who I'd pick without question...
    Nigel Adkins ?
    He has been promoted before…. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

So you think that other countries change their whole starting eleven each and every game?

Seriously have you actually looked into each and every squad before making your comment, or are you just presuming that because a team is winning, then its clearly because the players picked, are in form for their clubs?

Jesus wept, and you fucking well accused me out outlandish comments after the Hartlepool defeat last season

Where did I say you change the entire first XI every game?! Foden, Bellingham, Pope, Dier, Rice, Sterling, Kane all played in 90% plus of their club games this season so far, so you take players like that and compliment them with players in form.

Maguire is shit and has been for a while, and isn't playing for ManUre. Tomori is playing almost every game for Milan and thriving, is based in the country we played in tonight, knows the opponents as he's played most of them already, and is young and on the up, so why wouldn't you play him? 

And bringing up comments from about 4 months ago? Fucking childish
    Yup, and what happens when they're not in form as per your argument... Do they get dropped too?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    sam3110 said:

Again... Go and do some goddamn research - You think Iceland was a difficult draw in 2016 do you?

2010 World Cup had we won a Group we should have won, that wasn't difficult either - Am fed up with such lazy arguments
    Apologies I forgot Southgate was the manager in 2010 and 16 !!! Its easy to forget that this manager and squad played in the 2010 world cup ! Are u pissed mate ? 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

Jesus wept, and you fucking well accused me out outlandish comments after the Hartlepool defeat last season

Where did I say you change the entire first XI every game?! Foden, Bellingham, Pope, Dier, Rice, Sterling, Kane all played in 90% plus of their club games this season so far, so you take players like that and compliment them with players in form.

Maguire is shit and has been for a while, and isn't playing for ManUre. Tomori is playing almost every game for Milan and thriving, is based in the country we played in tonight, knows the opponents as he's played most of them already, and is young and on the up, so why wouldn't you play him? 

And bringing up comments from about 4 months ago? Fucking childish
    Yup, and what happens when they're not in form as per your argument... Do they get dropped too?
    Yes, if there's someone else better to play instead, that's kind of how having a squad works you know.

So you think we should choose an XI at the start of the season and stick with them all year even if they're completely shit just because that's the "first XI" in your eyes, and they need to play together? Really good players and teams can chop and change and still win, look at the rotation Pep employs at Man City