Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League 22/23

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    Lampard SACKED !!!

Never saw that coming. 
  • edited January 2023
    No surprise that Frank Lampard has gone and it's a relief to his family. Everton is such a tough gig.
    Older CL members will remember Mike Walker (father of Ian) who was a great success at Norwich yet was a major flop at Everton.
    They have spent money but so hit and miss.

Maupay is a good Championship striker but poor Premier.

Calvert-Lewin similar to Bamford at Leeds has become fragile and a dozen goal from him this season would've found Everton in Mid table. Just 1 goal from 10 doesn't augur well but he is the key for Everton to stay up.

Awobi, too hot and cold; mainly cold.
    Gordon has two good games and Chelsea are going to buy him LOL. No impact since speculation.
    McNeil, winger with no central striker to find.
    Gray, had decent form but can't do it on his own.

They pushed the boat out with James and Allan but only lasted for a honeymoon period before the divorce and James was gone.

Only Arsenal has been in the top flight longer than Everton. New manager bounce will could be enough again just, but long term the top half of the Premier looks a world away.
  • The Everton jobs a good one. When it all goes to shit and you get the sack, you won't be blamed for it and will recieve a payoff!

Frank Lampards an intelligent bloke but I don't think he's cut out for football management. You've either got it or you don't. The money is nice! But it is a mentally draining job that will keep anyone up at night. 

You have to live and breathe the job. If you don't, you will fail. Football management can't just be a use for the nostalgia of playing days. 

I do think Curbs is likely to be a useful person who will offer the best advice to the likes of Gerrard and Lampard. 

They won't call him, but they should.

It's safe to say a lot of ex Charlton players probably don't have fond memories of Curbs, but they certainly have respect for him. 

• In terms of money spent they can't be far off the worst run. They've spent a fortune to sit bottom of the table.

Obviously it's nothing compared to the likes of us, Crawley, Southend, Oldham etc, but Everton have been very badly run for a long time.
  • From The Times

A loophole in the financial fair play rules that has been used by Chelsea to sign players on contracts of up to 8½ years to spread the impact of transfer spending is to be closed by Uefa.
    Officials at European football’s governing body are planning to set a five-year maximum for the length of time over which a player’s transfer fee can be spread, with the new policy brought in before the summer transfer window. It is understood that the move comes after a number of clubs raised concerns with Uefa over Chelsea’s policy.
    The Ukraine winger Mykhailo Mudryk this month signed the longest contract in the 30-year history of the Premier League when he joined Chelsea on an 8½-year deal. Under amortisation — the process of gradually writing off the initial cost of a player — the £80 million fee would be recorded as £9.41 million per year for Uefa’s financial fair play (FFP) calculations, while if Mudryk had signed a four-year deal the £80 million fee would be calculated as £20 million per year.
    Fifa’s regulations state that players’ contracts should be a maximum of five years unless they are allowed to be longer under the laws of a particular country, and there is no restriction in the UK.
    Uefa will not prevent Chelsea from spreading the cost of the players they have signed already — defender Benoît Badiashile has a 7½-year deal, Wesley Fofana is on a seven-year contract while striker David Datro Fofana signed a 6½-year contract with the option for another year included. However any signings made from the summer onwards are set to be subject to the new five-year maximum when it comes to amortisation.
    Chelsea’s spending over the summer and January transfer windows has been more than £400 million, the highest in the world and the highest in Premier League history. The previous record was set by Manchester City, who spent £328.1 million in 2017-18.
    Uefa insiders say the five-year restriction will also help prevent clubs getting into financial trouble further down the line. One source told The Times: “If other clubs start doing the same with eight-year contracts it will be a mess so we need to protect them.
    It is simply shifting a problem to the future. Either a club can get stuck with a player on a high salary that they cannot sell, or if they sell him after three or four years they will not realise much profit [in accounting terms] because a lot of his transfer fee has not been amortised.”
    From this month, Uefa has introduced a new element called “squad cost control”, where clubs will be limited to spending 70 per cent of their revenue in a calendar year on player wages, transfers and agents’ fees. Any income from selling players will allow clubs to spend more but transfer income will be averaged out over the previous six years.
    Uefa is easing the new limit in — with 90 per cent of the limit for this calendar year, 80 per cent for 2024 and 70 per cent from 2025.
  • This might add some weight to Carragher's point.

Yesterday Arnaut Danjuma (winger at Villareal) had a medical at Everton, had done a club interview and photoshoot in their shirt and met some other Everton players. Today he signed for Spurs!

Did no one think to get him to sign an actual contract whilst he was there yesterday?
    By the sounds of it, its been an agent-led deal and wasn't a name put forward by Conte so will be interesting to see how this one works out.  Hopefully not like Spence.

Just hope its in addition to Zaniolo rather than instead of!

Presumably means Moura will be released from the last six months of his contract and he can go back to Brazil as he has planned for so long.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    This might add some weight to Carragher's point.

Yesterday Arnaut Danjuma (winger at Villareal) had a medical at Everton, had done a club interview and photoshoot in their shirt and met some other Everton players. Today he signed for Spurs!

Did no one think to get him to sign an actual contract whilst he was there yesterday?
    By the sounds of it, its been an agent-led deal and wasn't a name put forward by Conte so will be interesting to see how this one works out.  Hopefully not like Spence.

Presumably means Moura will be released from the last six months of his contract and he can go back to Brazil as he has planned for so long.
    I know anyone can look decent in a video but i've seen some highlight clips and Danjuma looks quite decent. Should certainly give Son some competition for his place as based off this season he needs a kick up the arse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Darren Randolph signing for Bournemouth
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I think you’re looking at the wrong man in Zaniolo. I watch most of Roma’s games and he hasn’t been the same since injury. I think the Premier league would be potentially too physical for him. Blokes loves to moan. Pellegrini would be a better signing.
  • Don’t mean to start an Arsenal love-in but found the above interesting.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I think you’re looking at the wrong man in Zaniolo. I watch most of Roma’s games and he hasn’t been the same since injury. I think the Premier league would be potentially too physical for him. Blokes loves to moan. Pellegrini would be a better signing.
    Interesting.  Know nothing about him apart from knowing thats the man Conte has wanted for 12 months and watching endless videos compilations on You Tube.

It seems to be common consensus from those that have watched him that he isnt the same player.  Two ACLs and he's spent so much time in the gym bulking up and he's more of a unit now than when he had the explosive burst that seems all too common in the early compilations and Mourinho favours Dybala now.

Ha, if he likes to moan, he'll fit in perfectly.

We're only likely to take him on loan with a view to a perm (for that read if Conte stays!).

Also know next to nothing about Porro, another negotiation dragged out over 3.5 weeks with Levy offering an extra set of training bibs every 24hrs.  Looks like its done and Spence is going out on loan.

You would have thought we'd be concentrating on buying a goalkeeper and a centre back in all honesty!

• David Raya is the man Spurs should be going for, before he signs elsewhere.
  • David Raya is the man Spurs should be going for, before he signs elsewhere.
    From what I've read from our usual ITKs, it doesnt appear replacing Lloris is a priority for this window.

The mind boggles...
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    David Raya is the man Spurs should be going for, before he signs elsewhere.
    From what I've read from our usual ITKs, it doesnt appear replacing Lloris is a priority for this window.

The mind boggles...
    It's never the best time of year to do deals anyway but it's probably because buying a keeper in the January window smacks of desperation and the appropriate fee is demanded whereas it is easier to pick up a keeper in the summer who has say just one year to run on his contract on the cheap - Levy probably also feels that they have Fraser Forster as back up anyway to bridge the gap. From what I can see Spurs doesn't make many permanent signings in January and not many of those in recent times have been successes - the likes of Lo Celso and Bergwijn spring to mind. 
  • JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...
    Do you think things would be different if he wasn’t your captain?
  • Ross said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...
    In all honestly, I dont think it would make a difference.  Conte clearly favours Lloris over Forster.  Forster's done ok in the little game time he has had.  I know what he's capable of as I've seen him have absolutely worldies against Spurs on numerous occasions.  Without doubt, Lloris has been having a stinker since coming back from Qatar and maybe Conte sees it that he'll continue to play him in the hope he comes through the other side.  Have to say, he looked backed to his assured best against Fulham on Monday.  Looked confident coming for the ball up against Mitrovic, was sharp coming off his line a couple of times and made a couple of decent reaction saves.  But for all Fulham's dominance as the home team first half, they rarely threatened so its a hard yard stick to measure on.

JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...
    It's never the best time of year to do deals anyway but it's probably because buying a keeper in the January window smacks of desperation and the appropriate fee is demanded whereas it is easier to pick up a keeper in the summer who has say just one year to run on his contract on the cheap - Levy probably also feels that they have Fraser Forster as back up anyway to bridge the gap. From what I can see Spurs doesn't make many permanent signings in January and not many of those in recent times have been successes - the likes of Lo Celso and Bergwijn spring to mind. 
    Certainly doesn't make it any easier not knowing if Conte is really going to walk in May, does it?
    For the failures of Lo Celso and Bergwijn, I'll give you successes of Bentancur and Kulusevski.   But yes, you're right, we don't tend to do business in January, especially involving big fees.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Ross said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...
    In all honestly, I dont think it would make a difference.  Conte clearly favours Lloris over Forster.  Forster's done ok in the little game time he has had.  I know what he's capable of as I've seen him have absolutely worldies against Spurs on numerous occasions.  Without doubt, Lloris has been having a stinker since coming back from Qatar and maybe Conte sees it that he'll continue to play him in the hope he comes through the other side.  Have to say, he looked backed to his assured best against Fulham on Monday.  Looked confident coming for the ball up against Mitrovic, was sharp coming off his line a couple of times and made a couple of decent reaction saves.  But for all Fulham's dominance as the home team first half, they rarely threatened so its a hard yard stick to measure on.

JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...
    Certainly doesn't make it any easier not knowing if Conte is really going to walk in May, does it?
    For the failures of Lo Celso and Bergwijn, I'll give you successes of Bentancur and Kulusevski.   But yes, you're right, we don't tend to do business in January, especially involving big fees.
    Beantacur certainly but Kulusevski was a loan whereas the two I've mentioned were permanent transfers with the associated transfer fees and potential long term wages. In fact, there now appears to be an element of doubt as to whether he will sign permanently which will be a massive blow to Spurs. 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Ross said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...

JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...
    Beantacur certainly but Kulusevski was a loan whereas the two I've mentioned were permanent transfers with the associated transfer fees and potential long term wages. In fact, there now appears to be an element of doubt as to whether he will sign permanently which will be a massive blow to Spurs. 
    Lo Celso had already been at the club on loan before we made it perm in the Jan.  Before Bergwijn, the last 'big' signings I can remember in January are few and far between.  The return of Defoe and Keane was the main ones, along with Jonathan Woodgate.

Re: the 'element of doubt' which you've picked up on which I can see has been circulating in the press last 24hrs.

Its been well documented that there was two conditions which made it mandatory to sign him for £29m (which was confirmed by Spurs to the media)

1.  He had to play in 50% of the matches (which he has done!)
    2.  Spurs had to qualify for the CL within the 18m of his loan (which they have done!)

The only reason he is still on loan is because of FFP and cash flow and its expected the deal will be made permanent in the summer.
    The only doubt is whether the dealings of Paratici will somehow effect it.

Ha, Levy is hated enough now by the Spurs fan base as it is.
    He would be ill advised to sell the one player that gets us off our feet when he has the ball.

I mentioned cash flow.  Spurs have delayed the annual accounts until after the transfer window closes.  Its being debated why.  As to whether the revenues have gone through the roof with all the events at the stadium since lockdown ended... or whether Spurs are in a massive financial hole.  If its the latter, then Kulusevki might be sacrificed I guess but I highly doubt it.

• JohnBoyUK said:

Bit of a surprise that Bournemouth have tried to get him!

• JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Ross said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...

JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...
    Lo Celso had already been at the club on loan before we made it perm in the Jan.  Before Bergwijn, the last 'big' signings I can remember in January are few and far between.  The return of Defoe and Keane was the main ones, along with Jonathan Woodgate.

Re: the 'element of doubt' which you've picked up on which I can see has been circulating in the press last 24hrs.

Its been well documented that there was two conditions which made it mandatory to sign him for £29m (which was confirmed by Spurs to the media)

2.  Spurs had to qualify for the CL within the 18m of his loan (which they have done!)

The only reason he is still on loan is because of FFP and cash flow and its expected the deal will be made permanent in the summer.

He would be ill advised to sell the one player that gets us off our feet when he has the ball.

I mentioned cash flow.  Spurs have delayed the annual accounts until after the transfer window closes.  Its being debated why.  As to whether the revenues have gone through the roof with all the events at the stadium since lockdown ended... or whether Spurs are in a massive financial hole.  If its the latter, then Kulusevki might be sacrificed I guess but I highly doubt it.

Just sell Kane to get some money in, i'm sure the fans won't mind.......
  • Arsenal have made a 60m bid for Caicedo from Brighton. Big move if they can get him, but i'm sure Chelsea will probably now bid more.
  • edited January 2023
    Surprised no one is showing interest in MacAllister

Unless Brighton are telling everyone to piss off (they amazingly got him to sign a new deal just before the World Cup) - But for them to keep hold of him, after his antics in Qatar is gonna be bloody good for them
  • sam3110 said:
    How on earth is Gordon worth £45m?! And Caicedo £60m?!

Football is well and truly fucked
    This, this... and this!

I havent seen anything from Gordon to see him as a £45m player.  Had a half decent game against the Dippers about a year ago but thats about it.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Ross said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...

JohnBoyUK said:

The mind boggles...

Just sell Kane to get some money in, i'm sure the fans won't mind.......
    I'm fairly sure he'll go at the end of the season.
    With my blessing.
  • Will Kane be the historic wasted trophy-less player to ever exist.

He won't win anything at Tottenham. 

The Man City possibility is now out the window. I doubt Tottenham would accept offers from Arsenal and Chelsea.

I think his only chance of escape is the possibility of Newcastle making a bid