Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League 22/23

Comments

• I can’t think of a worse keeper across top flight europe than Lloris. He must cost spurs 10-15 points a season.  

City werent great again, spurs just capitulated. Their inability to play well over a full 90 minutes is just weird. 
  • City's team selections at the moment are all over the place, especially at the back. 
    Too many changes each game for City imo. Keep the same side for a few games, I've played football manager so Pep should listen to me 
    Hello Martin 👋 
  • Guardiola launched with both barrels in the post match interview at the lack of passion from both the players and the home fans (he was very specific about saying that City have the best away fans). Not so much the booing but the fact that the players and home fans have become comfortable with them winning titles and both sets believing that they just have to turn up for City to win at home. He was clearly using it as a motivational tool for, not just as he did at half time, the rest of the season too. I have never heard him as direct and animated but he also managed to drop in the fact that Arsenal haven't won the title for a couple of decades in order to put more pressure on them. 
  • Izzy Christiansen has been superb as a pundit tonight

Erm she said Spurs should bin Romero and keep Dier.
    Has she been smoking crack?
  • edited January 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Izzy Christiansen has been superb as a pundit tonight

Erm she said Spurs should bin Romero and keep Dier.
    Has she been smoking crack?

I didn't hear her say that but, to be fair, the whole defence has been woeful and Romero isn't immune from criticism - what was he doing turning his back on the Odegaard shot on Sunday? The fact is that Spurs have conceded 21 goals in their last 9 matches, tonight was the first time a Conte side has ever let in four goals in one half and they are all over the place. Having Lloris in goal is hardly going to inspire those in front of him. 

Edit - I was behind in watching and have now heard what she said which is that she thinks that they need to go and get a proper CB, that she could see why Dier is in the back three because he is a ball playing CB but that she feels Romero lacks discipline as he plays with his heart on this sleeve and always has a mistake him. We can disagree with that but at least she puts a coherent argument as to why she felt that as opposed to some pundits who purely tell us what we can see with our own eyes. And she may well be wrong about Romero but some of the best CBs have been ordinary footballers who recognise how to defend and play the percentages. 
  • Romero is head and shoulders above anything we've got at the club.  He was the best CB in Serie A, he is Argentina's best CB, he has absolutely everything, along with the rashness I wish he didn't have but christ, that's a Rolls Royce of a defender being dragged down by the absolute dross alongside him and a goalkeeper that now needs to be put down out of his misery.

Poor old Hugo.  Father time has caught up with him.  I've always stuck up for him but enough is enough now.

Talking enough is enough.  Hojberg.  Absolute fraud of a central midfielder.  Can't pass, can't tackle, always caught wrong side of the ball and always waving his arms around hopelessly, blaming others for his mistakes.  Hope Conte (or whoever his replacement is should he walk/be sacked soon) persists with Bissouma or Mate Sarr ahead of him.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Romero is head and shoulders above anything we've got at the club.  He was the best CB in Serie A, he is Argentina's best CB, he has absolutely everything, along with the rashness I wish he didn't have but christ, that's a Rolls Royce of a defender being dragged down by the absolute dross alongside him and a goalkeeper that now needs to be put down out of his misery.

Poor old Hugo.  Father time has caught up with him.  I've always stuck up for him but enough is enough now.

Talking enough is enough.  Hojberg.  Absolute fraud of a central midfielder.  Can't pass, can't tackle, always caught wrong side of the ball and always waving his arms around hopelessly, blaming others for his mistakes.  Hope Conte (or whoever his replacement is should he walk/be sacked soon) persists with Bissouma or Mate Sarr ahead of him.
    So odd really with Hojberg, he was your best player for a period of about 6 months but has gone of the boil and still they persist ahead of Bissouma, who hasn't looked good but never really had the chance for me. I know players are different for different clubs but he was a standout for Brighton and all the top clubs wanted him, so there must be something wrong. 

Spence, why sign him and play Emerson Royal ahead of him. I get Doherty isn't as bad, but why they persist with Royal.

Lloris, used to be amazing but the last couple of years he is too liable for a mistake and its been clear you need someone more solid.

Sarr was an odd signing for me, he hasn't looked bad yet but also i don't think he really adds much.

Completely agree Romero is a class defender, just needs to reign it in really. He is always likely to get a card maybe a sending off every so often, its because of the way he plays so you don't want him to change too much but also can be a bit of a liability for it. Maybe alongside another proper defender it would help.

Conte has not really done well at all, the amount of times the first half is shocking. Just in general it feels like Spurs are going backwards, even my sisters fella and close mates who are Spurs hate watching spurs footy and say Arsenal are better to watch (for now). I did think them being top 4 is a false position too as they got away with a few results too but still not much off Liverpool/Chelsea on results/performances. A strange season, set up quite well for Arsenal for now but still a long way to go. 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Romero is head and shoulders above anything we've got at the club.  He was the best CB in Serie A, he is Argentina's best CB, he has absolutely everything, along with the rashness I wish he didn't have but christ, that's a Rolls Royce of a defender being dragged down by the absolute dross alongside him and a goalkeeper that now needs to be put down out of his misery.

The way you talk about Romero you would think he is prime Cannavaro! Agreed about Lloris though, he's past it. 
  • JohnBoyUK said:

So odd really with Hojberg, he was your best player for a period of about 6 months but has gone of the boil and still they persist ahead of Bissouma, who hasn't looked good but never really had the chance for me. I know players are different for different clubs but he was a standout for Brighton and all the top clubs wanted him, so there must be something wrong. 

Spence, why sign him and play Emerson Royal ahead of him. I get Doherty isn't as bad, but why they persist with Royal.

Lloris, used to be amazing but the last couple of years he is too liable for a mistake and its been clear you need someone more solid.

Sarr was an odd signing for me, he hasn't looked bad yet but also i don't think he really adds much.

Completely agree Romero is a class defender, just needs to reign it in really. He is always likely to get a card maybe a sending off every so often, its because of the way he plays so you don't want him to change too much but also can be a bit of a liability for it. Maybe alongside another proper defender it would help.

Conte has not really done well at all, the amount of times the first half is shocking. Just in general it feels like Spurs are going backwards, even my sisters fella and close mates who are Spurs hate watching spurs footy and say Arsenal are better to watch (for now). I did think them being top 4 is a false position too as they got away with a few results too but still not much off Liverpool/Chelsea on results/performances. A strange season, set up quite well for Arsenal for now but still a long way to go. 
    Pretty sure Conte himself said that Spence was a club signing. ie. Levy signed him, i didn't ask for him.

So he probably just doesn't bother to play Spence to make a point.
  • edited January 2023
    My Hubby went full Alf Garnett at the telebox watching Spurs chuck that away last night.
    I do hope they find a better keeper soon.
    I fear a heart attack otherwise 😳
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

At least he turned that around last night  :D

• Spence, why sign him and play Emerson Royal ahead of him. I get Doherty isn't as bad, but why they persist with Royal.

Sarr was always bought as a developmental project, under the ENIC model of buying players at low price/wages with potential, with a hope that they hit the big time.  He was never going to start this year, he was due to go out on loan again but because we've had injuries he was kept in the squad.  Same for Gil.  

Sarr has shown me in 2.5 games he has more to offer than Hojberg.

As for Spence, it is doing my head in.  Yes, he was bought as a project, an investment but for the love of god give the lad a chance.  I saw enough of him in Forest's cup run last season to know there is a player there with pace and a football brain.  More than can be said for Royale (with no cheese!)
  • The trouble is that Levy is always looking for players at what he believes is his right price i.e. on the cheap. Some of the time it does pay off fishing in that pool especially when one considers what Spurs paid for the likes of Son (£22m), Trippier (£3.5m), Davies (£10m), Alderweireld (£11.5m), Lloris(£11m), Dier (£4m), Vertonghen (£12m) and Eriksen (£12.5m) but that is more than offset by the countless failures, to varying degrees, such as Ndombele (£54m), Lo Celso (£27m), Llorente (£12m), Moura (£25m), Janssen (£17m), Mbida (£11m), N'Jie (£8.5m), Wanyama (£11m), Soldado (£26m), Chiriches (£8.5m), Capoue (£9m), Sissoko (£30m), Aurier (£23m), Clarke (£8.5m), Reguilon (£25m) and Bissouma (£26m) - that's well over £320m in total and this doesn't, of course, take into account their respective wages which is as much as a restriction as the transfer fee. 
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Sarr was always bought as a developmental project, under the ENIC model of buying players at low price/wages with potential, with a hope that they hit the big time.  He was never going to start this year, he was due to go out on loan again but because we've had injuries he was kept in the squad.  Same for Gil.  

Sarr has shown me in 2.5 games he has more to offer than Hojberg.

As for Spence, it is doing my head in.  Yes, he was bought as a project, an investment but for the love of god give the lad a chance.  I saw enough of him in Forest's cup run last season to know there is a player there with pace and a football brain.  More than can be said for Royale (with no cheese!)
    Oh yeah, i forgot the mighty Gil. How is he a footballer, literally makes me laugh every time. I was surprised when he ended back at spurs after going on loan, shows you need more depth to the squad
  • The trouble is that Levy is always looking for players at what he believes is his right price i.e. on the cheap. Some of the time it does pay off fishing in that pool especially when one considers what Spurs paid for the likes of Son (£22m), Trippier (£3.5m), Davies (£10m), Alderweireld (£11.5m), Lloris(£11m), Dier (£4m), Vertonghen (£12m) and Eriksen (£12.5m) but that is more than offset by the countless failures, to varying degrees, such as Ndombele (£54m), Lo Celso (£27m), Llorente (£12m), Moura (£25m), Janssen (£17m), Mbida (£11m), N'Jie (£8.5m), Wanyama (£11m), Soldado (£26m), Chiriches (£8.5m), Capoue (£9m), Sissoko (£30m), Aurier (£23m), Clarke (£8.5m), Reguilon (£25m) and Bissouma (£26m) - that's well over £320m in total and this doesn't, of course, take into account their respective wages which is as much as a restriction as the transfer fee. 
    Totally agree with you.
    When ENIC took over in 2001, their strategy was to always make Spurs self-sustainable and grow organically.   Every signing has been based on that.  It works out around £18m per season net spend over that time (last time I done the calculations!)

A manager would identify a target... Levy would offer him a cheaper, less experienced alternative.

Redknapp wanted Carlos Tevez and Gary Cahill, ended up with Louis Saha and Ryan Nelson.
    Poch wanted Bruno Fernandes, had a deal agreed and Levy moved the goalposts last minute, fell through and ended up with Gio Lo Celso.
    Jose wanted Milan Skriniar and ended up with Joe Rodon.
    Conte wanted Bastoni and ended up with Lenglet...on loan with no option to buy.

Every single one of those players (apart from Sissoko, Soldado and the veterans Llorente, Nelson & Saha) was bought because of their potential to be developed and a potential sell on profit.  Aaron Lennon, Michael Carrick, Bale and Berbatov fall into that bracket too.

I'd argue Moura and Wanyama shouldn't be on the failure list.  Wanyama was excellent in the season we finished 2nd alongside Dembele and it was only a knee injury that done for him.  And Moura's hattrick in the CL Semi was worth £25m on its own for the adrenaline rush when we scored in injury time.

I'll tell you what though.  Even for me with an almost encyclopedic knowledge of all things Spurs, you've got me googling Mbida for £11m.  I dont recognise that name at all lol. 

• JohnBoyUK said:

I'll tell you what though.  Even for me with an almost encyclopedic knowledge of all things Spurs, you've got me googling Mbida for £11m.  I dont recognise that name at all lol. 
    Oh Kev Nkoukou...
  • edited January 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Oh Kev Nkoukou...
    Indeed it is

No PL starts for Spurs and just 11 sub appearances, then sent out on loan to Burnley where he only started a couple of games, then on loan to Monaco where he didn't start a single game and ended up being sold to Besiktas for £4.5m. He made a couple of cameo sub appearances for Cameroon in this WC.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64342770

Trossard move to Arsenal confirmed, £21m plus add-ons
  • Sponsored links:

• A weird offside to deny Havertz an early goal against Liverpool but the correct decision
  • This is one of those games where, when it started, I had no idea who I’d prefer to win as I can’t stand either of them.
    But I’ve realised as it’s gone on that I’d prefer Chelsea to win than Liverpool because of the way I’m naturally reacting to the game.
    I think it might be because I’d prefer Potter to win than Klopp.

Still think both clubs are awful though.
  • A 0-0 would do nicely, not much good to either of them
  • Players have just been taken off the pitch @ Southampton v Aston Villa

Because there is a drone inside the stadium
  • Fat Frank must get the bullet now.
    Watching el sackeo and Everton are awful.
  • Two goals for Bowen. Great, smashing, super
  • Two goals for Bowen. Great, smashing, super
    Frankie detory will be getting his BFH.
    Been watching their game and Everton have been truly dreadful. They have looked like us from earlier in the season, when in possession. Passing for the sake of passing, silly little 5 yard passes and then a mistake.