Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League 22/23

Comments

• Nor just Chelsea giving massively long contracts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64298998

Nottingham Forest have signed Brazilian midfielder Danilo from Palmeiras for a fee of about £16m.
    The 21-year-old joins the City Ground side, who are 13th in the Premier League, on a six-and-a-half-year deal.
    Danilo won two Copa Libertadores and the 2022 Brazilian Serie A title with Palmeiras.
    Personally i think this will become more and more common now.

Clubs will have to spend more to keep up and the only way to do that whilst staying within FFP is to offer stupid long contracts to spread costs out.

It's going to become a problem though for clubs whose signings turn out to be duds and the club is stuck with them for another 5-6 years.
    Exactly - and a recipe for disaster especially for a club like Forest if they get relegated. I make it a net spend of about £135m since the end of last season but it isn't just the transfer fee, of course, it's the long term commitment to wages. We feel it for having Aneke but imagine having four or five of those on the books who might not be injured so much as Aneke is but who prove to be not good enough and can't be shifted because no other club will be silly enough to pay their inflated salaries.
    I know it's not really the point you're making overall but i think a lot is unfairly made of Forest's spending but in fairness they had a ton of players either on loan last season or out of contract. So they had hardly any players so needed to buy an entire new squad.

So in reality buying a whole squad for 135m or whatever it is now, that is competitive in the PL and has reached the league cup semi's is actually a decent achievement. Look at Everton, they've spent 400-500m in recent years and they're awful. 
    I think Forest have signed something like 18 players on contracts but I accept that, perhaps, they are the wrong example although it is still a gamble having so many players on new contracts on PL wages. I also totally agree with the Everton situation as I have previously made the point that they sacked Martinez for finishing 11th (and having just guided them to the semis of both domestic semi finals) and during his three years in charge he "enjoyed" a total net spend of £38m. They've had six full time managers since and a net spend of over £300m - and are only saved from being bottom by goal difference. 
  • When was Andy Scott involved in Forest signing a load ?
    Surely if he was part of some successful stuff why would they bin him off ?
    Jan 22-Oct 22.

He was head of scouting, there was another guy who was head of recruitment. Both were sacked after Forest had an awful start to the season, i guess probably because the owner felt they'd signed a load of shit players.

Ironically since they left, Forest have actually settled down and started getting results with the same bunch of players.
    Jan 22-Oct 22.

He was head of scouting, there was another guy who was head of recruitment. Both were sacked after Forest had an awful start to the season, i guess probably because the owner felt they'd signed a load of shit players.

Ironically since they left, Forest have actually settled down and started getting results with the same bunch of players.
    And are still signing a ton of players lol! - Well just two this January at present
  • Not a fan of Man Utd 
    But I hope they win about 5 nil tonight 
  • edited January 2023
    Kiss of death, palace will win 1-0 with Zaha being 'fouled' in the box for another dubious penalty.
  • Palace on their way to their 5th defeat in 6 games.

Hopefully.
  • Palace on their way to their 5th defeat in 6 games.

Hopefully.
    Kiss of death
  • Yellow card for Casemiro means he’ll miss the game v Arsenal at the weekend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• How did Casemiro miss that??
  • clb74 said:
    Charlton life.
    Been keeping Palace in the premiership for years
    TBF a tricky one, if only both could lose last night i would be happy. What a strike by Olise, it was a poor game really and they didn't really create much until near the end and nearly knicked it. 

I am happy, keeps Palars down there, although a good point. Also stops united fans getting too ahead of themselves, nice to see Cass get booked too so good for Arsenal. 
  • That Anthony chap seems an angry young man. Fell out with Fernandes, kept calling him a whore.
  • iaitch said:
    That Anthony chap seems an angry young man. Fell out with Fernandes, kept calling him a whore.
    Probably just frustrated that his right foot doesn't work.
  • Looks like Arsenal have agreed a deal to sign Trossard. Some places are reporting the fee at around 20-25m.

For me that is a bargain for a proven PL international player and gives Arsenal some much needed depth. Would much rather have him for 25 than Mudryk for 90. Although i fully accept Mudryk has a much higher ceiling in terms of how good he could be.
  • iaitch said:
    That Anthony chap seems an angry young man. Fell out with Fernandes, kept calling him a whore.
    Probably just frustrated that his right foot doesn't work.
    its arguable that his left foot only works on rare occasions.  Overrated show pony from what I've seen of him so far.
  • edited January 2023
    Looks like Arsenal have agreed a deal to sign Trossard. Some places are reporting the fee at around 20-25m.

For me that is a bargain for a proven PL international player and gives Arsenal some much needed depth. Would much rather have him for 25 than Mudryk for 90. Although i fully accept Mudryk has a much higher ceiling in terms of how good he could be.
    He has looked decent for Brighton.  But then again, so did Bissouma.
    I think £25m is a fair price for someone in the last 12m of their contract.  Will be interesting to see if he hits the ground running.

Definitely will give them some additional pace.

(Have to say though, was taken aback by his attitude towards his new manager.  Think his recent hat-trick against the Dippers may have done for his ego a bit but we'll see.  If there's a player to be found in there, no doubt Arteta will work his magic.  The way Arteta is working at the moment, he'd get blood out of a bloody stone!)
  • I think Trossard is just like the average premier league winger, albeit at the top end. Same with players like Saint-Maximin, even Grealish. When they're on form they're very good, but just very inconsistent. I'm not surprised more and more teams are switching to formations like 352 with these wingers becoming less common. Trossard has been great this year but previously was a 1 in 5 man, which isn't enough for an attacking player. To be fair Arsenal need a bit of depth for Saka and Martinelli so not a bad signing. Still think a striker would have been a better bet. 
  • I think Trossard is just like the average premier league winger, albeit at the top end. Same with players like Saint-Maximin, even Grealish. When they're on form they're very good, but just very inconsistent. I'm not surprised more and more teams are switching to formations like 352 with these wingers becoming less common. Trossard has been great this year but previously was a 1 in 5 man, which isn't enough for an attacking player. To be fair Arsenal need a bit of depth for Saka and Martinelli so not a bad signing. Still think a striker would have been a better bet. 
    Yeah i don't exactly see him displacing Saka or Martinelli, but he's a good option off the bench that they don't currently have. The rotation option will also help them when european games resume as it means they don't have to continue running Saka/Martinelli into the ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:
    Looks like Arsenal have agreed a deal to sign Trossard. Some places are reporting the fee at around 20-25m.

I think £25m is a fair price for someone in the last 12m of their contract.  Will be interesting to see if he hits the ground running.

(Have to say though, was taken aback by his attitude towards his new manager.  Think his recent hat-trick against the Dippers may have done for his ego a bit but we'll see.  If there's a player to be found in there, no doubt Arteta will work his magic.  The way Arteta is working at the moment, he'd get blood out of a bloody stone!)
    What like Zaha?
  • A good deal for Arsenal that. His fee will have been reduced by his performances since the World Cup, after his head was turned by playing Charlton.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

And Cucurella.
    Yeah i don't exactly see him displacing Saka or Martinelli, but he's a good option off the bench that they don't currently have. The rotation option will also help them when european games resume as it means they don't have to continue running Saka/Martinelli into the ground.
    Definitely, 25 isn’t a bad price these days although I thought he was slightly younger than 28. 
  • Sounds like Conte has run out of patience with Lloris and Sonny.

Both dropped tonight apparently.
  • Looks like Chelsea are signing ex-Spurs youngster Noni Madueke from PSV - What the hell is their Transfer Policy, as its not like he has done much in Holland of note
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Sounds like Conte has run out of patience with Lloris and Sonny.

Both dropped tonight apparently.
    Ha, both are starting! 😂😂😂😂
  • Looks like Chelsea are signing ex-Spurs youngster Noni Madueke from PSV - What the hell is their Transfer Policy, as its not like he has done much in Holland of note
    Another winger… Their new owner is like a 15 year old playing fm it’s hilarious 
  • edited January 2023
    I would be extremely surprised if Ricoh Lewis isn't in our 2026 World Cup squad (assuming we qualify of course). Even at 18 he looks like he has every attribute to become the complete modern day defender.